Thirteen

Look Closer

2600 w ok so ignore errors and whatnot it's 2AM SO OBVIOUSLY I'LL HAVE SOME ERRORS OK SO EVERYBODY CALM DOWN

 

“Do you think this is fine?” Chanyeol finds himself asking as he steps out of Kris’ car. They are a little late because Kris decided it was a good idea for a quickie – the blue scarf around Chanyeol’s long neck is a dead giveaway, the hickey forming on his neck is red and hungry for attention.

 

 

The scarf makes him look ridiculous, but he keeps it on and sighs softly, his cheeks are heated and his hand in Kris’ large one feels clammy.

 

 

They stand before they house he grew up in and Chanyeol will admit he is a little nervous to enter it, but he’s also excited to see his parents because it has been a few while since he last saw them or had an actual conversation that wasn’t short and awkward.

 

 

“I'll leave if it gets unbearable for you." Kris whispers, lips brushing against his ear and Chanyeol shivers, both from the warm radiating from Kris and his answer. "But it wouldn't be fair because you sat through it all with my parents."

 

 

"The topic of your parents never fails to make me uncomfortable because they know things." Chanyeol mumbles bitterly and earns a low laugh from Kris.

 

 

"We're not talking about them now." Kris cups his cheeks and pecks him lips, "You're more nervous than I am," He murmurs softly, Chanyeol sees the small smile tugging at the older man's lips and his heart swells. Their lips touch, "It'll be fine. Relax." Kris brushes them against his before pulling away.

 

 

"Ok," There is his awkwardness again; it never seems to leave him alone and surfaces whenever he’s at loss of what to say.

 

 

“I’m your boyfriend,” Kris says, it’s sudden and it confuses Chanyeol for a second, but he doesn’t get a chance to say obviously I am, “You need to talk to me – about anything you feel uncomfortable with or insecure about –”

 

 

“I’m not insecure!” He exclaims loudly and he is sure his parents know they’re just outside the door, “I’m not.” He shakes his head from side to side – his movements halt when Kris holds his face in his hands and making him look him in the eye.

 

 

Don’t lie,” He says carefully as he searches his eyes and Chanyeol has no idea what he’s looking for but he doesn’t break the eye contact. He swallows thickly and turns to look at the Welcome carpet by their feet. “Alright?” His eyes are hopeful and Chanyeol doesn’t have it in him to step on the hope, he nods and cracks a smile.

 

 

“I won’t.” He promises and pecks Kris’ lips, he’s pulled into a tight hug that catches him by surprise but it makes him feel better.

 

 

“I think they’re here!” His mother’s sharp voice from inside startles him and he wiggles out of Kris’ hold, he smiles at the older man before he grabs a hold of the knob, opening the door and he ushers Kris inside.

 

 

The warmth the wraps around him and the smell coming from the kitchen have his stomach grumbling and he looks up at Kris who kisses his forehead. He soon toes his shoes off and placing them neatly on the shoe rack before straightening his posture after letting Kris’ hand go.

 

 

The hand wraps around his own seconds later and he can’t stop the smile from forming on his face, “You’re nervous,” He whispers to the older man and his response is a squeeze.

 

 

"Hi!" Chanyeol cringes at his mother's loud greeting and his cheeks flush with she stares at their hands. She starts giggling as she stalks over to him and pecks his cheek, he grimaces but says nothing to offend her as he lets go of Kris and envelopes her into a hug – she looks dwarfed by his frame.

 

 

She soon turns to Kris, looks at him up and down – blinking at him before she smiles widely – Chanyeol knows she’s done sizing Kris up, he remembers her doing the same thing when Yura brought Jongin home for the first time. “Handsome,” She beams at Kris brightly and for a second he is reminded of Yura.

 

 

“Where’s Yura?” He blurts out and his mother turns her attention to him, she stares at him strangely and crooks her head to her side before she starts asking Kris questions.

 

 

His father is the one who invites them further into the house after hearing enough of her playing twenty questions with Kris.

 

 

Chanyeol lets go of Kris’ hand as he walks over to the dining room, leaving Kris behind with his mother who is a bit a chatterbox – she doesn’t seem to mind that Kris isn’t replying to a lot of her questions.

 

 

Kris is awkward around new people and his mother seems to get the message quickly but it doesn’t stop her from talking to him.

 

 

His father is silent and Chanyeol knows this is all still too new for him – his parents found out on the same day but his father took a little time adjusting to the fact that his only son wasn’t going to bring some pretty girl home. Seeing Kris must be a little strange, if not uncomfortable for him.

 

 

He enters the dining room and sees Yura – she’s sitting next to someone he has never seen before and the small frown makes its way on his forehead. The guy is staring at her like she’s the most fascinating human being on the planet and Chanyeol knows the look.

 

 

“Yura, manners,” His father says as he guides his mother who has the sleeve of Kris’ shirt in her small hand to the table.

 

 

Yura looks up and their eyes meet, she lets the guy’s hand go and smiles weakly at him. “KyungSoo, my baby brother,” She says casually, “Chanyeol, my boyfriend – KyungSoo.”

 

 

 His brows furrow in confusion before it dawns to him to this is her new boyfriend and this is the first time he's hearing about their relationship.

 

 

She doesn't trust him enough to tell him she's dating someone else. He doesn't blame her but he can't help but feel upset.

 

 

“Hi.” His voice is tense and slightly annoyed; Kris manages to shakes his mother’s hand off and walks to him.

 

 

“Hey,” He calls quietly enough for him only to hear, “Not now?” He asks hopefully and Chanyeol nods, he lets Kris take him to the dining table – they sit opposite Yura and KyungSoo who is staring at Chanyeol with big curious eyes.

 

 

The dinner is surprisingly loud – his mother won’t shut up and keeps spilling some embarrassing stories about him and Yura growing up. She also excitedly tells them about their father buying her a new formal gown – it’s a gorgeous blue gown! She had exclaimed.

 

 

She’s mostly talking to herself, really.

 

 

When their father clears his throat, Yura snaps her attention from KyungSoo and looks over to Kris. They share a long staring contest that leaves Chanyeol uncomfortable because it's like they are saying something to each other with their eyes only and it's troubling.

 

 

“So,” His father begins, “Kris, I’m told you’re biual.” He clears his throat and shifts in his seat, “My son isn’t an experiment.” Chanyeol’s eyes almost pop out of their sockets at that and KyungSoo chokes on whatever he had in his mouth, Yura slaps his back to calm him down and stares at their father with an irritated expression.

 

 

“Seriously, dad?” She says, unimpressed and the man holds his hands in the air in surrender.

 

 

“What your father means,” Their mother takes in a deep breath and turns to Kris, “He’s our youngest son and we want to make sure this isn’t a game on your part.” She continues, “Are you serious about him?”

 

 

“Mum,” Chanyeol cuts in, cheeks and ear tips burning hot as he reaches out for his half glass of water, “We aren’t getting married –”

 

 

“Be quiet, honey,” She shushes him and turns to Kris who looks between all of them – Chanyeol hopes they haven’t scared him away.

 

 

“I’m serious about him,” Kris tells them firmly, staring directly at his father who is staring back just as hard. “I’m planning to ask him to move in with him if tonight goes well.” Chanyeol chokes on his water when it goes to the windpipe and he feels like he’s about to die from the lack of air and pure confusion.

 

 

Kris is rubbing circles behind his back until he stops his coughing fit, “What?” His voice is hoarse and throat, his eyes are big as he stares at the man beside him, “Are you sure?” His heart is drumming in his chest and too many thoughts are running through his brain at once. He doesn’t know what to think, he has practically moved into Kris’ apartment but this is different because Kris is waiting for his consent.

 

 

Kris doesn’t get a chance to answer him because Yura is on her feet, pushing the chair back and stretching her limbs. She meets Chanyeol’s eyes before she turns her attention to Kris – she crooks her head to the door and doesn’t wait for a response as she walks away from the dining table.

 

 

Chanyeol looks between them with frightened eyes, he grabs Kris’ wrist when the older man stands up to go after Yura. “What are you –?”

 

 

“Relax, I got it.” He assures and pecks his forehead before he quickly follows after Yura.

 

 

“Sit down, son.” His father tells Chanyeol when he attempts to go after them, he bites his lower lip and shifts in his seat – he stares hard at his half eaten dinner as his eyes water.

 

 

He wonders what conversation their both going to have – something about him obviously. This is all too nerve wrecking, “I need to use the bathroom,” He says suddenly and stares hopefully at his mother – hoping to have any chance of eavesdropping.

 

 

“Pee in this glass,”

 

 

Chanyeol closes his eyes and mentally counts to ten before looking at KyungSoo holding out a glass to him. He swallows thickly as he stares at the tiny frame across from him, his lips are crawled into a thin and he bits back a harsh insult.

 

 

His mind drifts away from Yura and Kris and is settled on KyungSoo – he has decided he won’t give this guy a chance. He’s fond of Jongin – said guys was invited over but he declined and Chanyeol likes to think he knows why. Jongin isn’t over his sister as he once said.

 

 

It’s hard to like KyungSoo because Jongin is his friend.

 

 

“Did something happen between you and your sister, honey?” His mother finally has the courage to ask or maybe she has lost her patience to figure out what it is.

 

 

“Nothing, nothing has happened.” Chanyeol answers as he snatches the glass out of KyungSoo’s hand who was still holding it out to him.

 

 

"When are you going to get a job, honey? If you and Kris are going to live together -" He tunes his father’s voice out and KyungSoo’s conversation with his mother.

 

 

His eyes turn to the entrance and he chews on his lower lip. His heart is beating so loudly in ribcage from anxious and impatience.

 

 

He looks down at his hands and sees how badly they're shaking; he brings them down to his laptop and inhales deeply to calm himself before he calls on a panic attack.

 

 

It’s in that moment when Kris enters the room again, his parents and KyungSoo pause their conversation about jazz music - the brat has clearly won them over - and fall silent.

 

 

Chanyeol just stares at Kris' face, trying his hardest to read his boyfriend and failing miserably. He opens his mouth to say something but no words make their way out; his vocal codes refuse to work and his eyes are stinging - he feels like a Child who isn't being told some juicy secret about codes in a video game.

 

 

"I need to borrow him," Chanyeol snaps back to reality when a warm hand wraps around his wrist and he's being helped out of his seat and onto his feet. "What did she say?" He whispers and follows Kris out of the dining room.

 

 

"Nothing too bad," Kris shrugs and Chanyeol realizes he is being led up to the stairs of his parents' home; they stop before his old room and he’s swallowing a huge lump.

 

 

Kris pushes the door open and Yura is sitting on the edge of his bed. His room still looks the same, same posters on the walls and his old study desk that needs some dusting.

 

 

A soft kiss on his cheek and Kris is gone.

 

 

He stands by the door, blood pumping faster and chest heaving – he places his hand to his chest in hopes to calm himself down. He moves further into the room, eyes locked on Yura who hasn’t turned to look at him.

 

 

He sits next to her on his bed, his sitting posture edgy and his doesn’t know where to put his hands. He clears the lump on his throat, frustrated at himself because this is the time his brain decides to bail out on him and he’s left with nothing to say.

 

 

“…you’re so easy to read,” She starts suddenly, her voice barely above a whisper, “Like an open book,” A short chuckle escapes her lips and Chanyeol is looking at her through the corner of his eye; she hasn’t turned to look at him. “But Kris has a hard time figuring you out –”

 

 

“Are you still mad at me?” He blurts out before she can continue; he places his hands on his lap and begins fidgeting with his fingers.

 

 

Her breath hitches, “Yes.” His heart breaks at the raw honesty in her tone, there’s no hatred pouring in it, just sadness that tightens his heart strings.

 

 

“How do…how –” He pauses, forming a sentence seems impossible now and his vision is blurred – he blinks rapidly and rids of the tears before the stream out of his eyes. “I’m sorry.” He finally manages to say.

 

 

“I know you are and I forgive you,” Her hand is over his and she rubs his gently, “And I don’t hate you. I need time – you owe me that much.” She points out softly, but to him it sounds as though she’s yelling and he feels worse.

 

 

They sit in silence, her hand is still over his and he comforting rubs have paused – there is laughter coming from down stairs, his mother’s laugh is always loud.

 

 

Chanyeol looks down at Yura’s hand, closes his eyes and in another deep breath before releasing it, trying to concentrate on one of his old posters of some football player to distract himself from crying.

 

 

“Kris told me about your Skype call with his parents,” She grips his thumb and wiggles it gently.

 

 

“When did he –”

 

 

“Today, when we left the dinner table,” She informs, “I needed to make sure he wasn’t playing, Chanyeol.” She says with a sigh and continues wiggling his thumb.

 

 

“Is he?” He questions, finally having the courage to look her in the eye. She smiles slightly and his heart warms a little at that.

 

 

“What do you think?” She brushes his bangs from his forehead, “Told him I won’t hesitate to come after him if he’s playing.” She pokes his cheek before pulling him into a hug and rubbing circles on his back. “He told me he loves you – and I can tell he isn’t lying.”

 

 

¤¤¤¤

 

Next chapter is the final; Chanyeol and Yura will never be as they were before but they’re kinda ok >_______> I’ll be attending a masquerade ball tomorrow evening; not gonna lie, I’m only going there for the food tbh LOLOL omg. Here’s a Krisyeol Threeshot I’m working on; Find an Anchor. Until Next Time!