Chapter 1

Live

Kris woke up as the sun reached through the window and touched his eyes. He turned his head. He was surrounded by white sheets and pillows. Where was he? He blinked a few more times and opened his eyes wider. Next to him was an EKG machine, monotonously beeping in sync with his heartbeat. Kris peered through the glass door in front of him. People were walking around in blue scrubs and long white coats. The hospital, what was he doing in the hospital?

Kris sat up and closed his eyes again, trying to recollect his memory. He strained to remember driving late at night. There was another car coming towards him….a car crash. He had been in a car crash. Kris opened his eyes and closed them again. He prayed he was the only one injured in the accident. Why was he driving so late at night in the first place? Kris tried to remember, but a sharp pain started to form in his head. His head was pounding against his skull. Kris started to feel dizzy and opened his mouth, desperately trying to take in the oxygen. He could hear the beeping of the EKG increase in pace. The noise got louder and louder till Kris thought he was going to faint.

The glass door of the room flew open and a man in a long white coat rushed to his side. “It’s okay Kris, you’re okay now. Just breathe. Deep breathes…yes…yes there we go,” the man gently coached him.

Kris took death breaths, calming himself down. He collapsed back onto the bed, his breathing returning to normal. He sighed and peered through half closed eyes at the man. The man gave him a kind smile. “Hello Kris, I’m Dr. Hiu Nuan. How are you feeling?” he asked.

Kris managed a small grin. “Not too great,” he replied. The doctor grinned back. “I wouldn’t expect you to…Kris…do you remember how you got here?” the doctor asked gently.

“I…I was in a car crash…wasn’t I?” he asked while watching the doctor give a slow nod. A silence commenced, neither doctor nor patient sure of what to say. Finally the doctor broke the silence, “Hey Kris, would you like to see your friends?”

Kris’s face lit up as he nodded. The other EXO members were here? The doctor got up and patted his shoulder. “Alright I’ll send them right in,” he said as he exited the room. A few minutes later 11 loud boys ran through the glass door, all trying to cram themselves through at the same time.

                “Kris!” They shouted in unison. It was a chaotic scene. Suho was crying as he held Kris’s hand. Tao was shoving a giant stuffed panda towards Kris. Baekhyun, Chanyeol, and Chen were bouncing up and down, yelling loudly and crashing into medical equipment. Luhan and Sehun stood next to the bed along with Xiumin who was eating the pudding that was supposed to be Kris’s breakfast. Lay had his hands on Kris’s head, muttering something about healing and unicorns. Kai and DO stood at the foot of the bed grinning at Kris. DO was saying something about cooking kimchi spaghetti for Kris. Kris closed his eyes. It was loud yet he felt strangely peaceful. He felt at home. Kris opened his eyes and grinned.

“You guys need to shut up we’re in a hospital”

The guys quieted down after a few minutes and circled around Kris’s bed, looking earnestly at him. “How are you feeling? Do you hurt anywhere? Did you only just wake up? Did you eat?” They bombarded him with questions.

                “Guys, guys, I’m fine,” said Kris laughing. “I’m just happy to see you all again”. The other members grinned back at him. It had been a long week of tears and pain watching Kris lie there on the bed, not knowing if he would ever rise again. It was good to see him awake and smiling.

                They chatted for a few more minutes before a nurse entered the room and told them it was time to go. The other members whined as they slowly got up from around Kris’s bed, not wanting to leave him.

“We’ll come back tonight to see you. I’ll bring some kimchi spaghetti,” DO said cheerfully.

                Kris smiled, “Thanks guys.”

                There were hugs, tears, and high fives were exchanged in addition to the round of goodbyes and soon it was just Kris left alone in the white room. Kris sighed. He already missed the chaos.