Chapter 6

Live

It had been a week since Kris was discharged from the hospital and was given permission to go back to work. Kris walked into the dance studio and started to stretch. He sighed happily. It was so good to be able to working with all his friends again. It was hard since he had missed so much practice but Kris was excited to get back into a pattern after spending long days in the hospital with nothing to do.

                “Hey” Kris heard a soft voice behind him. He turned around and grinned when he saw Kage. He saw her almost every day since he was discharged. She would always bring food for the group; she seemed to know what everyone’s favorite food was, including his. It was kind of strange to him that she knew exactly how he liked his pork cooked twice and then put over ramen…Kris wondered if they were close, but he couldn’t remember anything about her. He had tried to clear his mind when he was home alone and reach into his memory, but his pounding headache would return and he would give up.

                “Hey” he replied, “What’s up?”

                “Oh I just wanted to let you know that I put more water bottles in the storage room next to this room so you guys don’t have to go downstairs to get them”

                Kris smiled. “Aw thanks, that’s so sweet of you.” He had noticed how she was always helping around when she could.

                “No problem” she said. An awkward silence commenced as neither of them was sure what to say. “Well anyways, I just wanted to let you know that, so, um, see you later I guess”

                Kris waved goodbye, “Ok, I’ll see you later.” Kris watched her as she walked out of the room. All their conversations were like that. Short, awkward, and filled with unseen emotions. He could always feel her staring at him, making him feel slightly uncomfortable. But he couldn’t blame her. Out of everyone, she was the only one who couldn’t remember and he felt guilty. Kris sighed. Just thinking about her made his head hurt. Kris MAMA and started to dance to it, clearing his mind of the Kage.

                Kage walked outside into the cold. She struggled to push back the tears. Why…why couldn’t he remember her? Every day she saw him and everyday a little part of her would die. He would always give her that wide grin, completely oblivious to the hurt he was causing her. Kage looked up at the sky. Why was she putting herself through all this pain? Hadn’t she had enough for one lifetime? Her thoughts drifted…something came into her mind causing her to gasp and shake her head…no…no, she couldn’t…could she? Kage exhaled, realizing that she was holding her breath. Fine, she thought, if it came to a certain point…only then would she do it.