Chapter 5

Live

Kris was grinning when he saw the boys coming in, DO with kimchi spaghetti in hand, but his smile quickly dropped when he noticed how unusually quiet they were.

                “Is everything okay?” he asked worriedly. There was a pause of silence before Sehun broke out a big smile on his round face.

                “Everything is fine, hyung” Sehun said, “We’re all just worried about you.” The usual chatting started to emerge again. Tao and Luhan were poking Kris’s stomach while the rest of them crowded around his bed, whining and prodding him with questions. Kris smiled again. The chaos was back. A dark figure behind the boys caught his attention. Kris’s eyes widened. It was the girl from earlier. What was she doing here?

                “Oh Kris,” Suho said, noticing his eyes, “This is Kage.”

                Kage looked at Kris, hoping for some kind of reaction to hearing her name. There was none. Her heart breaking, she stepped out of the shadows and forced herself to smile at Kris.

                “Hi Kris, I guess you don’t remember me,” she said, forcing herself to give a small laugh, “I’m…I’m just a friend of EXO. I visited you earlier just to make sure you’re okay.”

                Kris blinked. “Oh! I’m so sorry I didn’t realize…” He looked at the girl curiously. She gave a small laugh again, although Kris thought it seemed forced.

                “Oh it’s not your fault. The doctor said you were experiencing some amnesia, which is common given your injuries.”

                “Oh really? He didn’t tell me that I was having amnesia…”

                “He thought it would be best to just give your mind a break. Please, don’t stress yourself out too much, you should remember eventually.”

                Kris chuckles, “Alright I won’t. And I promise I will remember you” he said, grinning at her. She smiled back at him. They held eye contact for a moment more before Kris broke it to receive the bowl of kimchi spaghetti DO was handing him. The chatter was loud as the boys passed around more bowls, enjoying being a complete 12 for the first time in more than a week.

                Kage watched the scene that played out in front of her. Her fists were balling up tightly. The doctor had said it would be better for Kris to remember her on his own to avoid his mental state from going completely awry. She felt tears pushing at her eyes again. She had missed his laugh, but for some reason she didn’t feel better hearing it now.  She just wanted to run up there and hug him and feel his arms around her. But she couldn’t.

                I promise I will remember you. Please. Please remember.