Chapter 13

Live

Kage opened her eyes when her phone started ringing. She frowned slightly. Who could be calling her at this hour?

                “Hello?” Kris’s words got caught in his throat. He was unable to speak. That voice. It was her.

                “Kage…” he hushed. She froze. That voice. It was him.

                A silence commenced. The air was still and it felt like time had frozen.

                “Kris…” she whispered. Silence.

                “Kage,” he suddenly blurted, “Kage, I love you.” Her heart nearly stopped. Did he…did he just say what she thought he said? Kage felt tears forming again for the hundredth time.

                “I love you,” he repeated. Kage struggled to push back the waves of emotion. “I remember. Baby, I remember everything. I remember you. Your laugh. Your smile. I remember the first day we met. I remember asking you out. I remember that time you punched me on the playground when I tried to kiss you. I remember our first kiss. I remember you. I remember your favorite color is green. I remember how you loved spicy noodles but hated that they dried so fast. I remember how much you laughed at me when I would accidently run into the wall. I remember how I would swoop you up as you would laugh and carry you to the bed. I remember how you would kiss me as we made love under the stars. I remember, baby, I remember everything. I remember how much I love you. “

                Kage was crying, tears racing down her face. She had waited nearly half a year, a half year filled with tears and anguish. And it was finally here. Kris remembered.

                “Kris, I love you too. I love you so much baby” Kris was crying now too. “I love you so much. Kris, I’m on a train to train to go to the airport in Mokpo. I was going to leave but…I want to come back. I want to come back to you.”

                Kris turned his car around and headed the direction of the airport. It was a long drive but he didn’t care. He was going to her. “I’m coming to you, baby. I’m coming.”

                “Kage, I love you. I want to hold you, to kiss you. I want to be with you forever. I want to marry you,” Kris said, letting it all out. “ I love you. I love you, Kage”

                Kage’s chest tightened with emotion. This was really happening. He wanted to be with her. Forever. She didn’t even have to think about it. It was a yes. Yes, yes, yes. Kage opened to reply but was cut short by a loud noise from outside.

                Kage peered out the window. Oh no. She panicked, fear entering her heart, paralyzing her. What could she do? Nothing. There was nothing she could do.

                “Kris…” he heard her whisper, her voice full of fear. What was happening.

                “Kage? Kage what’s wrong? Is everything okay?” he asked frantically.

                “Kris,” he heard her again. Her voice was calmer and full of love. “Kris I love you.”

                There was silence. And then there was a loud crashed followed by a deafening explosion. Kris was screaming into the phone, crying out her name. The only reply was the monotone beep of an ended call.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

 

It was in the headlines the next day. A train conductor, who was drunk, had been driving his train, off shift and without permission. The conductor had switched the train off the usual tracks, heading towards Mokpo. So was the train that left from Seoul. The explosion was tremendous. It had taken firefighters nearly 10 hours to put out all the fires. There were only four casualties. The two conductors of the trains. An engineer. A girl with black, curly hair and mocha colored skin.