Chapter 12

Live

Kris walked across the plain. His fingertips brushed against the tall, green grass. He looked around. The stars shined down on him from above. A cool wind danced around him. He was dreaming.

                “Kris” he heard a soft voice behind him. He turned around. There she was, looking at him, her eyes full of love.

                “Kage,” he whispered. She stepped forwards and stood on her tiptoes. He could feel her lips touching his skin, planting a soft kiss on his forehead. Kris closed his eyes.

                Kris woke up and opened his eyes. He took in a sharp, deep breath. And then the flood came. He remembered. The day he ran into her in the street. That night when he first heard her laugh. The days that followed where he would go to the ramen shop after practice just to see her. The way she laughed at his stupid jokes. The way her face glowed when he grabbed her hand and didn’t let go. Her tears that fell as she told him about her parents. The way she sobbed into his chest as he held her close to him. The first time they had kissed. The overwhelming feeling he got from her touch. The first time they made love. He remembered it all. He remembered.

                Kris ran back to his house and burst through the door. He searched frantically for his phone. Once he found it he quickly dialed her number as he ran out the door again. He headed towards his car, not sure of where he was going, as he listened to the phone dialing. Please. Please pick up.

                It was 1:00 AM. Kage was alone in the small train. She closed her eyes and listened to the sounds of the train. The soft humming of the engine. The clicking of rotating motors. The spinning of creaky wheels against tracks, taking her further and further away from him.