Five

AntiUtopia

I can’t ever change without you

You reflect me, I love that about you

And if I could, I would look at us all the time

-Justin Timberlake, Mirrors-

 

Erika was excited when Yoseob said that he would take her for shopping.  She needed more clothes now that the winter was approaching.  By shopping, she meant getting into the abandoned shopping mall and took whichever clothes still usable.  Yoshikuni was fine with the idea since her wound was healed in no time.  Actually, she had allowed her to go out ever since she told Doojoon that she wanted to do something more contributing rather than sitting down in the office because computer wasn’t her expertise.  Doojoon was kind enough to actually convince Yoshikuni that she was fine.

A few weeks ago, Junhyung had even taken her for a shooting practice.  They went to a what-seem-to-be shooting range pre-war.  She was wondering at first, what they could possibly do at a shooting range.  Then, it came to her realization that when everybody went out, they took a gun with them.  They must have trained how to shoot.  She did ask Junhyung why they even needed to carry a gun around.  But, Junhyung was a person who’s very particular for safety.  He said, in this situation, where there were empty buildings around, there might be enemies that they wouldn’t expect were there.  It was better safe than sorry.  So, after Junhyung was satisfied with her training, she was issued a gun, like every other person had.

She also was given a name now.  She was Iota.  She got her own walkie-talkie and tracker device.  It was exciting.  She had went with Doojoon a few times now to look for more sources of clean water and she was surprised by the knowledge she had in her when she actually only had some poor memories on her past.  She had to praise herself for that.

When they arrived at the mall, Yoseob had shown her the best brand from pre-war.  All the clothes were still there.  It was spectacular.  She took everything she needed and stuffed it into her newly issued bag pack given by Junhyung.  Who would have thought she could have gotten something like this post-war when she can’t even dream to have it during pre-war time?

“Sigma, from base office,” Yoseob’s walkie-talkie crackled.  Erika smiled when she heard Sierra’s voice.  Those two lovebirds just can’t leave each other alone.

“Base office, proceed,” Yoseob responded into the mouthpiece.

“Sigma, you fail to report your first hour to the base office, again,” Sierra sounded so serious.

It was the outing protocol to report to the base every half an hour.  Yoseob’s eyes went round as he looked at his watch, the army watch, also given by Junhyung who got it from God-know-where.  He had forgotten the first half hour just now and he had it forgotten again.  Yoseob sighed and brought the walkie-talkie closer to his mouth.

“Base office, from Sigma.  I am really sorry.  I don’t go out as often as the others so I will take some times to get used to this again,” he said and gave Erika a guilty smile.

“Sigma, you are aware that your failure to report needs to be recorded in our safety logbook, right?  Upsilon’s not going to like this,” Sierra sounded serious this time.

“Base office.  I am well-aware about it.  Proceed as protocol.  Not that I am going to go out that often,” Yoseob shrugged.

Erika knew well now that those rules about safety were written down by Junhyung to provide them the optimum safety level.  Erika found it quite amusing that when a person broke a rule when going out for duty, he or she will be held from going out for three outings.  Yoseob wasn’t particularly sticking to those rules because most of the times he will stay inside and monitor each of their safety through computer system.  Once in a while he will go out to get some fresh air rather than staying in the same office room.  Usually, when Yoseob went out, Sierra will take over the job at the computer.

“Base office, from Iota.  Will I be punished too?” Erika decided to directly ask the base office rather than asking Yoseob.

“Iota, the commander for the task is Sigma.  You will not be responsible for any of his wrongdoings,” Sierra replied to her walkie-talkie.

“Attention, Sigma.  From base office.  You’re letting one of your personnel wandering too far from the critical perimeter issued.  That’s another responsibility of yours and another broken rule.  I need to record that in the safety log,” Sierra warned again through Yoseob’s walkie-talkie.

“Base office, copy that,” Yoseob said and he sighed.  He took out his tracker device from his bag pack and looked at the screen.

“Come on, Iota.  Omicron is wandering too far and I am seriously not good in handling an outing.  Oh God, why do they even make me a leader for this task?”

“Because you’re the one that’s fit enough to be one?” Erika answered, more like questioning.

“The more reason he shouldn’t go off too far.  What if something happen to him?  I’m no doctor.  He can do it if Alpha’s around,” said Yoseob while leading Erika to the direction shown on the tracker device.

“Come on, Sigma.  You know what to do if something happen.  You treated me once,” Erika stated.

“That’s the normal drill Alpha taught me.  In an emergency situation, I wouldn’t know what to do.”

Erika shrugged to that.  It was not like she knew what to do also.  Given an emergency situation between life and death, she would just go panic and screaming around.

“This guy is seriously annoying.  Why would he go that far without telling us first?” Yoseob said as they entered what seems to be a sports store.

Erika followed Yoseob, who followed the direction from the tracker device which showed where Dongwoon could be at the moment.  He was too far off the acceptable grid and he wasn’t that strong either to be all alone.  Erika looked to her left and right to find him.

“There you are, Omicron,” Yoseob said and Erika quickly looked to the direction Yoseob was looking at, “You know that my outing is now being held because you are off the grid.  Boy, even if you want to go around, tell me where you are going.  You know that I am not alert enough to notice if you sneak out of line.”

Dongwoon pretended like he didn’t hear a thing.  He pretended like he was fixing…a bike?  He was fixing a bicycle.  What for?  He had his own bicycle.  Then, Erika realized that the bicycle was for her.

“Is that going to be mine?” Erika sounded excited and walked to him despite Yoseob trying to keep the cold air and being strict.

“Oh, yes.  You need one.  Soon, you’ll be going out more and even further.  I thought this is gonna help.  Sorry, Sigma.  I thought I’m helping.  But, apparently I did badly, huh?”

“You helped a lot, Omicron.  It’s just that who knows what could have happened to you when we are not around, you know that,” Yoseob said.

“Jeez.  Gamma spoke to me with the exact same words just now,” Dongwoon said and Erika quickly knew that Sierra also had spoken to Dongwoon while they were searching for him, “My outing is being held too.”

“Good.  Fair here,” Yoseob said jokingly.  Dongwoon smirked.  He put down the oil bottle and wiped his hands clean.

“Here, Iota.  Your bike is ready.  Next time you go out, you don’t need to walk,” Dongwoon said. Erika quickly got onto the bike and tried to use it.

It was a good feeling to be able to cycle.  It’s just like pre-war, when everything was peaceful, when everything was safe.  She felt content to her heart.

“What did you get for yourself?” Dongwoon asked while taking Erika’s bag pack from her.

Yoseob gave Erika a look and she quickly understood that Dongwoon was going to inspect the bag to see what she got on the ‘shopping’ she did.  Erika was about to open , to prevent Dongwoon from doing that when she heard he already zipped the bag open.  Her cheeks flushed.  She felt embarrassed because there was women’s underwear in her bag pack.  But, Dongwoon was fine going through it.  He didn’t look embarrassed at all going through the bag pack.  After a while, he zipped it close and threw it to her.  She was thrown off balance because of the weight of the bag pack and she landed right on her .

“Sorry about that,” Dongwoon chuckled and Yoseob sighed while giving a hand to Erika, “But, we really need to get back to the clothes store.  You need gloves, Iota.  And some long johns.  It’s gonna be freezing in the winter.  Now it really makes me wonder how you survived on your journey alone for one year without knowing winter necessity.”

“Wait.  What?” Yoseob still didn’t catch what Dongwoon was saying.

“Honestly, Sigma?  You let her shop alone?  She picked up all the fancy clothes ignoring the fact that she wouldn’t stand the freezing winter in those,” Dongwoon said, already getting his bag pack.  Yoseob looked at Erika who pouted in embarrassment.

“It’s not my fault.  She’s a woman and I need to respect her need,” Yoseob said, defensively, hinting that Erika needed to collect her underwear.

“Oh, really?  You went with Gamma last time,” Dongwoon smirked.  Erika bit her lip to restraint her laugh.

“Damn you, Omicron.  Just shut up!” Yoseob rolled his eyes and his cheeks flushed red, “Iota, let’s get your winter necessity!”

Erika looked at Dongwoon, trying not to laugh with him.  Dongwoon winked at her and walked by her side.  They let Yoseob led the way because they knew that Yoseob just couldn’t face them after the teasing Dongwoon threw at him.

+++++

“It’s already 1.  Let’s take a lunch break,” Yoseob said, looking for a suitable place for them to eat.

After their trip to the shopping mall, they had walked another mile to a mart to get some spices and cooking oil.  Dongwoon and Yoseob also decided to get some rice and flour.  They can’t rely on potato every day for source of carbs.  So they thought that some rice and breads sometimes would do them good.  After they had gotten everything they needed from the mart, they were now walking with extra loads – Erika with her clothes and bicycle, Dongwoon with packets of flour and bottles of cooking oil and Yoseob with packets of rice and spices.  So, Yoseob had decided to stop to replenish their energy.

“I think we can eat there,” Dongwoon pointed at an empty office building.  Yoseob nodded.  They walked towards the building.  Yoseob were ready with his gun in case the building was actually occupied by something or somebody that might be a threat to them.  He opened the door and checked the building thoroughly before he let them in.

“You guys eat first.  I need to check within the perimeter to make sure we’re safe.  Can’t afford to make mistake again, can I?” he smiled before he went away.

“Come on.  Let’s get our lunch box out,” said Dongwoon.

Erika continued by getting her bag and zipped it open.  She took out her lunch box and put it in front of her.  She zipped it close again before she began eating.  When she opened the lid, she could feel that the food was still warm.  It was two grilled tilapia, mashed potato with gravy and salad.  Also an apple freshly picked and a bottle of fresh water.

The site they were eating at and the food they were about to have were not a match.  The food was quite luxurious in this kind of situation, where the buildings were abandoned, empty without any single sign of life.  Erika was thinking again on when she would be able to get used to this kind of thing.

“What are you waiting for?  Eat,” Dongwoon said and both of them took their first big bite of the tilapia.

“You just now.  I was having a hard time controlling myself not to laugh,” Erika said while eating.

“Oh, yeah?  He shouldn’t be all that embarrassed anyway.   Sigma and Gamma are married,” Dongwoon said.

Erika almost dropped her entire lunch on the cold, dusty concrete floor.  She looked up to Dongwoon with a question mark in her face.  She knew Yoseob and Sierra were together, that was obvious.  But, for how long she had been with them, she never knew that they were married.

“Are you serious?” she asked.

Dongwoon diverted his attention to Erika.  He looked quite surprised when Erika asked that.  He gave the are-you-serious look back to her.

“You don’t know?”

“Yes, I don’t know,” she replied.

“Dude, they are obvious, okay?  How come you don’t know?” Dongwoon asked.

“Right, they are obvious, really.  But, I thought they are just serious with the relationship and being all close and lovey-dovey.  I don’t know they are married.  I mean, when are they even married?” Erika raised another question.  Dongwoon face quickly changed.  He looked quite disappointed.

“Before the war.  About two weeks before the war,” he said after a few seconds of silent.

“Ouh,” Erika replied, that was all she could make sensing the change in the atmosphere.  Dongwoon chuckled after a while.

“It’s a funny story.  Them, I mean.  They were like Tom and Jerry before, the never-ending fight and banter,” he said.

“Really?” Erika lighted up again when she saw Dongwoon’s face switched back to normal.

“Oh, yes!  They met when they were recruited for the Mega Energy Project.  A friend introduced them to each other.  They turned out to be in a love-hate relationship after that.  After a while, the man proposed and two months after that, they were married.  Trust me, I was surprised at first,” Dongwoon laughed after he spooned the mashed potato into his mouth.

“Wow!  They suit each other though,” Erika said.  Dongwoon looked at him.

“That friend who got them together also said the same thing,” Dongwoon stated.  Erika smiled.

“Well, you can see it in them,” Erika said, weirdly earning a sigh from Dongwoon, “What is Mega Energy Project, by the way?”

“Some the leaders globally planned on, to sustain the Earth with wise use of energy.  Many people were brought together in that ty project – scientists, engineers and some fresh graduates.  Turn out the Earth became like this,” Dongwoon answered.

Their conversation was stopped when Yoseob joined them.  He came in with the gun dangling at his shoulder.  He pulled out his walkie-talkie to make their third half hour report.

“Perimeter is safe,” he said as he joined them with his lunch box.

“Emmm…now only I notice that wedding ring on your finger,” Erika said.  Dongwoon laughed to that.  Yoseob shrugged.

“Can’t believe you haven’t pay attention to that.  It was what, one month already you’re with us?” Yoseob said.

“So, what?  Are Alpha and Beta married too?” Erika asked, in case she didn’t notice their rings too.

“Nope.  They’re not.  The relationship starts after the war,” Dongwoon answered.

“What were they before?  Tom and Jerry too?” she asked again.  Yoseob looked at Dongwoon, knowing that it must be him telling her about the Tom and Jerry thing.

“No.  They were good friends,” Yoseob answered that, “But, judging on how much they care about each other now, they are pretty much married.  Damn war, they can’t be officially married.”

“Yeah, they are pretty much married.  Well, good for them and good for you too, Sigma.  Love at time like this?  I see hope in that.  I wish I have someone with me too,” Erika shrugged.

Dongwoon smirked and took a bite at his apple.  Yoseob munched silently on his tilapia.  The air suddenly got awkward again.

“What?” she asked.

“You just have to pay enough attention, Iota.  You will find out who cares for whom,” Dongwoon said and the conversation left hanging in the air.

Erika didn’t really know how to respond to that and Yoseob looked like he was trying hard to ignore it.  Dongwoon acted normal, like he hadn’t said anything in the previous moment.  But, Erika simply can’t get his words out of her head.  What Dongwoon had said gave this impact where she felt like Dongwoon was really meant for her to take his words and savour them.

Erika started to question herself whether she had been paying enough attention to everything that happened around her.  Maybe it is odd, but the deeper she got into it, the more she thought that everybody around her always gave her this look saying she had never paid enough attention.

The thought resumed even after they packed their things to continue on their journey back to the base, a place Erika could call home.  The wind was chilly and Yoseob had asked them to put on extra clothes.  Dongwoon looked exhausted half the way home but it was another mile until they reach the base.  Yoseob kept offering him water and checked on him every once in a while.  He even transferred some of Dongwoon’s bottles of cooking oil into his bag pack.  Erika kept quiet and looked Dongwoon’s way so very often that she could see how the colour of his face gradually turned grey.  It was until another minute when Yoseob decided that they should probably take another rest, although it was only half a mile away from home.

Dongwoon panted hard and leaned against the wall, closing his eyes to regain his composure.  Erika did not need to ask to know that Dongwoon was facing another episode of post-trauma symptoms of his nerve injury.  He looked like he was having hard time breathing.  Yoseob checked on his pulse and reminded him to keep breathing and stay with him.  Dongwoon tried to keep his eyes open.

“Base office, from Sigma,” Yoseob alerted the base office.

“Sigma, from base office.  Proceed,” it was Junhyung’s voice this time.  Sierra must be taking a break from the safety monitor.

“Base office, I believe we are in need of medical attention.  Alert Alpha,” Yoseob said.  Erika was surprised of how bad the situation was that it made Yoseob alerted Yoshikuni.

“Sigma, explain your situation,” Junhyung’s voice was the mixing of panic and calm.

“Base office, Omicron is down.  Trouble breathing and uneven pulse.  Immediate attention is needed,” Yoseob said.

“Sigma, we get your location.  Beta and Alpha are on their way.  Do what you can to keep Omicron awake,” Junhyung sounded very nervous and suddenly Erika was very nervous too.

“Base office, copy that,” right after Yoseob put down his walkie-talkie, they heard footsteps approaching.

Erika was about to smile, thinking that it was Yoshikuni and Doojoon coming to help.  But, then she saw Yoseob holding his rifle in a position where he was ready to shoot.  Even Dongwoon, who had trouble breathing, had his hand on the trigger, rifle pointing somewhere.  Dongwoon even took the trouble to kneel in front of her, perhaps shielding her from whatever that was coming their way.  Then only it made sense.  They were half a mile away from the base.  It was impossible for Doojoon and Yoshikuni to reach them right after Yoseob was done talking, no matter how fast they were.

It was too late when Erika pulled her rifle.  A person, actually two people came out and pointed their guns at them too.  Yoseob gasped but didn’t lower his gun.  It was until the other parties dropped their guns and ran to them that Yoseob and Dongwoon both lower their guns.  Erika was taken aback by the situation.  But what shocked her even more was the fact that one of the two men actually said out her name.

“Erika!” the taller one ran and hugged her while the shorter one got Dongwoon.

“Oh, Dongwoon.  Is it really you?  I thought you were blown up into pieces,” the shorter one said.

Erika was still dumbfounded, clueless on how a stranger knew her name.  Erika looked at Yoseob who was smiling to see the two.  That could only mean one thing.  Both of them were not a threat.  Erika let herself get hugged, that warm hug that a friend would give.

Shortly after that, things got quite alarming when Dongwoon lost consciousness in the shorter man’s arms.

 

Listening to : Passenger - Let Her Go

Mood: Reall sleepy -.-