Eleven

AntiUtopia

Does the pain weigh out the pride

And you look for a place to hide

Did someone break your heart inside

You’re in ruins

-Green Day: 21 Guns-

 

Average people appreciate things when they are gone.  They take things for granted but only realise the importance when those things are no longer available for them.

They were no farmers before.  They did not know or were ignorant about the tiresome job of farmers who have to feed the whole world.   When they had to do the job themselves, they knew how hard it is to obtain just one spoonful of potato.

They did not realise how valuable clean, fresh water was before.  When they were living in post-war era, they had learned an experience so expensive that it had to be paid with their patience.  That was a price that was really thinning among the human.

All those conditions, which involved almost non-existence of their necessities, made them desperate.  Desperation makes human strive hard.  Human tend to become adept to the surrounding condition and that’s what they did.

That explained the freshly built greenhouse in front of them.

Five days of hard work, involving cutting and connecting parts was not easy for them, especially in the cold weather of fall.  Twice, Junhyung had to go out again to get missing parts, despite the harsh wind, not to mention his injured arm which was healing very slowly.  Yoshikuni said that it might be because of his too many arm movements, but also was contributed by their lack of medication supplies.  Post-war was tough and he was lucky he was not burdened by infection.

That had reduced their human power.  Not everyone among the nine of them was skilful in such labour.  Gikwang was almost useless and Erika was not of much use even.  Dongwoon and Junhyung were restricted to only light work.  That only left Doojoon, Yoshikuni, Yoseob, Sierra and Hyunseung to commit to it.  They had their winter gear on – gloves, jacket and beanie – to work as early as the sun rises.

That did not include the personal problem each of them might have.  Everybody saw that Dongwoon was not really himself since he came back from collecting things.  It was quite hard to communicate with him, since he was really out of the world sometimes.  Hyunseung, who seems to know something refused to tell them anything.  The awkward situation affected their progress, if only for a little bit.

Junhyung, on the other hand was getting more and more paranoid.  Twice he went out, and twice he came back telling them that he saw signs of another existence of people outside.  Even when they were building the greenhouse, he was really alert to any movement.  There was a few occasion where he stopped working to check their surroundings.  Nobody was able to work after the sunset because he ensured everybody was safe in the house.  After the door was closed, he always reminded Yoseob to activate the CCTV and electrify the fence.  What made it worse was that Yoshikuni seems to agree with Junhyung.  Her answer was always the same one, she trusted Junhyung’s instinct.

Despite those arising situation, they built that greenhouse in five days and it worked unbelievably well.  They did not have to live under food rationing that winter and that was enough to make them feel alright.

“So…now do we need to rearrange things in the storeroom?” asked Gikwang, who tried to make himself useful.

“Yes, I think,” Sierra replied.

“Okay…how do we start?” Gikwang scratched his head, looking at all the mess they made in order to build the greenhouse.

There were four different toolboxes scattered on the floors and they were not closed – the tools were not arranged in them.  Pipes, Perspex glasses, aluminium sheets were spread on the floor.  Books and boxes can be found everywhere.  It was really a lot of work to do.

“I…dunno,” Erika replied, eyeing everything on the floor.

“We should start arranging tools in the toolboxes.  Make sure there are no nails or screws or anything sharp left on the floor.  We don’t want another injured man here,” Yoseob instructed.

“That’s a good start people.  We better begin our cleaning right now,” Doojoon agreed and he was the first one to pick up the scattered tools on the floor.  Seeing him, the others followed.

“Beside the emergency room is the storeroom for meds supply.  Next to the kitchen is the storeroom for food.  What about this one?  Is this the storeroom for junks?” Gikwang asked, collecting an old box full of unused A4 paper.

“It’s a storeroom for assorted things, not junks,” Yoshikuni reprimanded, “We don’t keep junks.”

“Oh, Gikwang.  A lot of times I wonder how you even become our financial analyst.  You can be an idiot sometimes,” Hyunseung shook his head, joking.  Gikwang laughed with them.

“I remember you being stupid all the times too,” Erika agreed with him.

“Dongwoon is always the smart one for you,” Gikwang , although she might not know it. The others laughed even louder.

“Junhyung’s smart too,” Erika said and smiled at Junhyung.  The said man blinked vacantly.

Hearing that, Dongwoon’s mood suddenly changed for worse.  He dropped whatever it was in his hand to the floor.  He suddenly stood up from crouching and dusted his pants off.  The others were surprised.

“I’m tired.  I think I want to take a nap,” he said softly.

Yoshikuni quickly nodded.  The others looked at him as he went off.  Then, all of them looked at Junhyung, who were following Dongwoon with his eyes.  As he noticed their stares, he became conscious and slightly nervous.

“What?” he asked.

“Did anything happen between you guys?  He’s been like that since the last outing with you.  And just now at the mention of your name, his mood changed 360 degrees,” Yoshikuni inquired.  Junhyung blinked inanely again.

“Not that I know,” Junhyung said, frowning deeply.  Silence filled the hallway for a while.

“Let me check on him, okay?  You guys go on with cleaning.  I’ll come back later,” Hyunseung excused himself.

“Okay…” Yoseob said, “Let’s continue our work,” he got them back on track.

They were working in silence after that.  But, Gikwang was known for his insensitivity and idiocy.  He cannot work in quiet environment.

“So…this storeroom is for assorted things.  What about the one in the basement that has never been opened?” Gikwang asked.  Erika lifted her head immediately.  She wondered what that storeroom was for too.

“The one in the basement?  Who says it has never been opened?” Junhyung asked while carrying the toolboxes to be rearranged.  He had long given up the sling and Yoshikuni had long given up on him.

“I never saw it opened,” Erika shrugged.

“Because the access is restricted to only a few persons,” Sierra answered.

“Oh.  Why is that?” Gikwang questioned.

“I don’t know, Gikwang.  Now, why don’t you just carry on with work?” Yoshikuni rolled her eyes. 

She was not annoyed by the question, but the less people know about the storeroom, the better.  But, Erika did not want to give up.  Her curiosity carried her legs to Doojoon.

“I know that you know about the storeroom,” she tried to trap Doojoon to answer her inquiry.

“No,” he replied, at that moment arranging paint brushes at their place.

“Come on, Doojoon.  I know your relationship with Yoshikuni.  I know that she must have told you something,” she said.

Doojoon frowned and he stopped moving.  That was exactly what Erika wanted to happen.  Nervousness can make people bow.

“That storeroom is only restricted to Junhyung and Yoshikuni and that is where they keep their military stuff,” he answered.

“Thanks,” Erika smile in triumph.  She felt like she had just won an award.

“Well, you know…it’s not like what you think.  Yoshikuni…she didn’t tell me what is in the store.  She’s not like that.  She won’t melt under the influence of sweet words or anything.  And I am not that low to use that on her to get the information.  Actually, I saw what is in the store and I am quite surprised you haven’t seen anything yet.  Junhyung always opens it before your shooting training,” Doojoon explained, giving a bit of a clue in the end of his speech to Erika.

“Ah…I know she’s not like that.  And you are not too,” she laughed.  Doojoon was dumbfounded.

“You!  You were trapping me into telling you,” he said.

“Yes.  I know that Yoshikuni is hard to waver.  That’s why I ask you.  Besides, Junhyung is just as steadfast as Yoshikuni,” she said with a smile.  Doojoon saw the smile and he felt weird suddenly.  Does Erika just smile when she talked about Junhyung?

“Hey, yo-” Doojoon didn’t have a chance to ask Erika why she was being all smiley when she talked about Junhyung.  They can’t possibly have something going on.  But, Gikwang was being the foolish one as always, cut into his word.

“What is this box?  It is sealed very neatly with the tape.  It has no label and it has not been opened since…forever, maybe,” Gikwang said, carefully turning and tossing the box to study it.

“Hey, you want to be careful with things you don’t know about,” Yoseob said.

“It’s safe,” Junhyung interfered.

“What is it?” Gikwang asked again, pointing at the medium-sized box.

“Just some stuff that I took from our desks in the office.  They are not that useful now, aren’t they?” Junhyung said disinterestedly, “When I came back to our office, I saw every drive in every computer was taken.  Since they stole the drives, I thought they must want some information regarding your work.  So, I took the box and filled it with everything on your table.  I thought that it must be your latest work that might be useful later.  Turned out, you guys were missing until a few months later,” he shrugged.

“So…you say that that box contains all our work before?” Hyunseung came out of nowhere and asked.

“Yes,” answered Junhyung, “How’s he?” he inquired about Dongwoon.

“He’s okay,” Hyunseung shrugged.

“Very well.  Then, I want to open this,” Gikwang took a knife and tore the sticky tape.

Everybody’s attention was no longer on cleaning.  They were more attracted to the box now that they knew it contained their previous work.  That was the only thing that could connect them to pre-war condition they were longing for.  That was the only thing that could remind them of how the whole world was once a nice place to live.

When the box was opened, the first thing that they saw was the book ‘Oil on the Brain’.  Gikwang took it and shoved it into Sierra’s face.

“Must be yours,” he said.

“Yeah!  This is mine!” Sierra took it happily and then showed it to Yoseob.  He smiled and they went through the book together.

“This is my report on the porosity and permeability of core samples,” Hyunseung took a file and turned pages by pages, “This is the one on Venezuela project.  One of my earliest project,” he continued excitedly.

“Look at this!” Doojoon took a thick binder from the box, “My study on log reading and report on geological condition of that offshore well.  Err…the one that was attacked,” he scratched his head.

“I want to study that after you are done with it, Doojoon,” Junhyung requested suspiciously.

“Alright.  Why?” Doojoon asked.

“Because it might contain any information on why they targeted our unit.  You see?  That site was assaulted as well,” Yoshikuni took the liberty to answer the question.  He could read Junhyung’s mind.  Even that moment they communicated through their eyes.

“Hey…is this my planner?” Erika took a leather-covered book with her name printed in gold on it.

“Yes,” Hyunseung paused, “It was Dongwoon’s present to you…on your birthday,” he said solemnly.

“Dongwoon?  He gave me a birthday present?  Are we that close?” Erika asked.

That question had the others sculpted on the ground.  Hyunseung’s face was more than just hurting.  Sierra held Yoseob’s hand very tight and his hers.  Yoshikuni looked at Doojoon and Doojoon almost dropped the binder onto the floor.  Junhyung stared at Erika curiously.  The only person who was still busy rummaging the box was Gikwang.  It was as though he didn’t hear her question.  Erika was confused of how they took her question.  She was about to ask them about that when Gikwang suddenly shouted merrily.

“My iPod!” he showed it to them, hand was raised higher than his shoulder to let them know the existence of his iPod.  However, upon noticing the awkwardness, he lowered his hand again.

Nobody noticed Erika’s sharp stare, except Junhyung.  The moment Gikwang showed them his iPod, Erika had plenty of memories resurfaced in her mind.  She experienced the same pain again in head.  Black spots were dancing in her eyes.  She saw them working together…she received new log reading…she made the report…more information…oil…nuclear…iPod…Yoseob...and finally, Gikwang.  That vision did not just ended there.  There were more but not as important as the information that she had now.

Vision blinded with pain, Erika stepped towards Gikwang.  She actually ran to him.  Junhyung knew that vacant expression.  She was experiencing another memory recall.  He quickly ran towards Gikwang to avoid another mishap to happen.  Erika snatched the blue iPod from Gikwang’s hand and looked at it.  Gikwang shrieked in surprise but Junhyung was already there to kick any sharp objects close to both of them.  Erika noticed the blue iPod.  She stared at it and then at Gikwang.

After that, she looked at Junhyung with the same vacant expression.  Junhyung was afraid if she might cause a stir again, but she only opened to say something.

“Now they all make sense,” she said before her knees buckled and her eyes rolled to the back of her head.  As she fell, her eyes closed and she lost consciousness even before she hit the floor.

But, she didn’t hit the floor because Junhyung’s protective arms were there to catch her.

+++++

Erika opened her eyes.  Unlike last time, she remembered what had been going on the moment she had her eyes opened.  The memories of the iPod.  She remembered asking for Yoseob’s help on it.  Gikwang did not know anything.  Her other teammates were not aware of it.  All this while, they were left clueless about it.

“Hey, are you feeling alright?” Yoshikuni’s voice penetrated her ears.  She looked to her left, to the source of the voice.

“Yes, I am,” she said as she sat up.  Yoshikuni wanted her to lie down, obviously, but seeing her good to be up and about, she did not say anything.

“What time is it?” Erika asked.

“Seven, in the evening,” Yoshikuni answered.

Erika frowned.  It was about four when they were cleaning the storeroom.  She must be out for at least two hours.  It was just like the last time when she regained her memories.

“Yoshikuni, I know something!” suddenly she ran towards Yoshikuni and grabbed her hands, “I have to tell everybody everything!”

“Whoa, whoa!  Hold your horses, Erika.  What is it?  What’s with the rush?” Yoshikuni asked her.

“The iPod!  Where’s the iPod?” Erika inquired, getting impatient.

“Well…it is with Gikwang,” Yoshikuni was getting confused.

“Where’s he?” she asked quickly.

“At the library.  With the others,” Yoshikuni answered, “All of them are there.”

Without more words, Erika dragged Yoshikuni out of the ward room.  She pulled Yoshikuni with her as she ran through the hallway.  Then, she opened the door of the library.  The others in the room, who were studying something on the table, diverted their attention to her.

“Erika, what are you-” Dongwoon asked but was cut first before he could even finished his sentence.

“Where’s the iPod?” she looked at Gikwang.

“Hey, chill.  Come here sit down with us.  We are studying Doojoon’s binder for any information on the atta-” Gikwang said cheerfully before he was interrupted.

“No, Gikwang!  I need the iPod!” she shouted and ran towards Gikwang.  Junhyung was ready by Gikwang’s side.  Gikwang had a memory of being tortured.  The trauma will make him feel threatened by this situation.

“Okay,” Gikwang quickly threw the blue iPod to her.  She caught it.

“This is it!  This is the iPod!” she looked at Yoshikuni.  The others were dumbfounded.

“What is it, Erika?  I know you remember something,” Junhyung looked curiously at her.  Erika looked at him that quickly turned to Yoseob.

“Yoseob, do you remember helping me to transfer a file into this iPod?” Erika asked.

“Yeah…” Yoseob nodded slowly, still clueless on what was going on.

“Not songs, Yoseob.  A folder with Excel files and PDF files in it,” she inquired again.

“Yeah.  I remember that.  You said it was urgent, so I did it.  What’s going on?” he asked again.

“How can you transfer files other than songs into an iPod?” Hyunseung asked.

“Exactly!  That was exactly why I did it!  Nobody would notice it, right?” she asked them.

“What…are you talking about?” Sierra crossed her arms in front of her chest.

“Yoseob, you helped me to enable the iPod’s function as a storage drive.  Then, I transferred a folder into this iPod,” Erika explained.

“Yes…you told me that already,” Yoseob nodded blankly.

“Why my iPod?” Gikwang asked, “You could do that on your iPod.”

“Because you are the least person to be suspected,” Erika said, “At least, that was what I thought,” she continued.

“I don’t understand,” Doojoon frowned.

“Don’t you get it?  He’s a financial analyst.  He didn’t to fieldwork like us.  He won’t be suspected!” Erika almost shouted.

“Suspected of what?  Erika, please calm down,” Junhyung grabbed her shoulder and looked deeply into her eyes, “Now, tell us what you know,” he said gently after he managed to grab her attention.

“The iPod…the folder…I know their secret, Junhyung.  That’s why they targeted our unit…” she said gravely.

That moment, everybody’s hearts seem to stop.

 

 

Mood: I'm eating so I'm happy :)