Sixteen

AntiUtopia

It can happen to anyone of us

Anyone you think of

Anyone can fall

Anyone can hurt someone they love

-Gareth Gates: Anyone of Us-

 

None of them spoke a word throughout the journey.  They had lost a friend.  Yet, the grieving time was cut short to find a new mean of safety.  The journey itself didn’t take that long.  The sewer, even very badly-odour, was not very chilly surprisingly.  Their journey had been a smooth one.  But, Junhyung felt the journey was so very long for him.  He led their way through the sewer.  Apart from feeling the responsibility to protect them weighed on his shoulders, he felt very cold.  Of course, he could feel his back burning as though it was going to bore hole through his body because he had expected the others to glare hot dagger at him.  But, the source of heat had extinguished from his world.

He was so glad when they were finally safe inside the abandoned military base.  He didn’t want to carry on anymore.  He hoped he would just drop dead.  His heart ached.  Dongwoon was supposed to be here with them and have Yoshikuni attending him.  Right when he put his backpack down, he felt all the energy drained off him.  He swayed on his feet but was quick to sit down at the corner of the room they had chosen to shelter.  That was as far away he could get from the others.

Certainly, the others grieved right after they sat down.  Sierra had suddenly burst again.  She had cried her eyes out and again, Yoseob had to restrain himself from breaking down.  Both of them broken would be no use to the team.  Doojoon was spent.  He looked so pale and shaky on his feet.  Junhyung knew something happened in the afternoon.  He heard those words – “He’s not breathing!”.  It kept replaying in his mind.  Yoshikuni must have able to save him.  Junhyung sincerely pitied them both.  They pretended to be strong while he knew deep in their hearts, they were hurt just like the others.

Yoshikuni didn’t show it though.  She was attending Gikwang who had vomited instantly when they were safe in the building.  His grieving was beyond any word.  It hurt to see him.  Hyunseung had chosen another corner and sat down alone.  He folded his legs, brought it closed to his chest and buried his face between them.  His shoulders were shaking.  He must be crying.  Erika had chosen to sit beside Junhyung and used his shoulder to cry.  Junhyung let her.  He didn’t have the strength to push her away.  That woman had captured his heart and when she had done crying, he might want to use her shoulder to cry on.

“I am sorry, Junhyung,” she said after a while.  She was not crying anymore but she didn’t lift up her face.

“You didn’t do anything wrong,” Junhyung said softly.

“I remember him.  I really do.  I remember he was my fiancé,” she paused.  Of course, the others heard her.  It was not a big room and it was very silent that her whisper was audible to everybody else.

“What are you saying, Erika?” Junhyung felt the tense situation in that room.

“I remember he was my fiancé the moment he showed me the ring, but I can’t tell him that,” she looked Junhyung in the eyes and he understood instantly her dilemma.

“You regret it?” he asked.

“No.  Not at all,” she said and that made Hyunseung angry.

He stormed from the opposite side of the room towards them, no, not them, but towards Junhyung.  The next thing he knew he was cussing him, throwing whatever he could reach to him.  The others tried to restrain him.  He blamed Junhyung.  He placed the entire blame on him.  He said that he should make Erika remember Dongwoon in the first place, right after they found her.  He accused him the one who betrayed a loyal friend.  In short, Hyunseung said that had Junhyung made Erika remember Dongwoon earlier, she won’t ever like Junhyung.

“You are not worth of anyone’s love in this world, !”

That, in short, explained everything.  Junhyung felt like he just fell down to the deepest pit of the Earth.  Erika had cried again, but this time, repeatedly asking for forgiveness.  Junhyung didn’t blame her.  He knew why she did that, but he won’t explain to them.  There was no point in doing that.  People just want to listen to what they want to know.  Furthermore, he had just lost their trust, again.  He’s an now, was he not?  They too, had taken their grieving to a whole new level due to Erika’s confession.

Finally, Yoshikuni can’t take it anymore.  She just can’t see them not living.  She decided to look after their wounds.  She forced Doojoon to lie down even for a while.  She looked after Gikwang who was still recovering from his grieve.  She even went to Erika and asked if she had any injury while travelling with Junhyung.  She also had asked Junhyung if he needed anything.  Both of them shook their heads.

Sierra regained her strength next.  She had prepared their dinner.  It wasn’t a sumptuous one like they always had at their base, but it was warm and hearty.  Since they were in the basement of the building, nobody would notice if she light up fire.  Sierra found clean gallon water and food supply in the military storage and she made soup for them.  When she was done making dinner, she called the others to eat.  She was not taking no for an answer.  She swore they needed to get food into their body.

But, Erika didn’t go for it.  Junhyung also didn’t make a move.  At first, she thought he was sleeping but he was just not up for it.  Plus, it was quite difficult to sit down together and eat when Hyunseung kept profaning him as he got within three metres near him.  He passed meal, saying that he was really tired and he needed sleep.

Honestly, he needed that.  His arm was hurting due to the wound a few days ago.  He didn’t let it heal.  He was carrying Dongwoon and did all sort of vigorous stuff and didn’t even check on it since last Yoshikuni tended to it.  Furthermore, not sleeping for two nights straight had taken toll on his body.  Every single joint ache and Junhyung wondered why he didn’t collapse yet.  He knew the answer.  He won’t fall down to fail the others, not this time.  Failing Dongwoon was his biggest mistake; at least that was what he thought.

“Junhyung?” she heard somebody called him, a woman.  He turned to the source of voice and saw Sierra, with a bowl of soup in her hand.

“Sierra,” he replied, feeling awkward because Sierra had not spoken to him for two days already.

“Are you alright?” she asked.  Junhyung frowned.

“I am,” he answered.

“You don’t look good, you know?” Erika said, handing him the bowl, “I will have Yoshikuni check on you after you finish your meal,” she continued.  She gave him a smile before she went away, joining the others for dinner.

Junhyung looked at the bowl in his hands.  He didn’t think he could stomach his meal at the moment.  He looked at Erika to offer her his soup when he noticed she was also holding a bowl.  He looked at hers.  She smiled at him, knowing what he was thinking.

“Sierra’s right.  You don’t look good.  You should eat.  Plus, I already have mine,” she paused and took a sip of the soup, “And it’s good.  You’ll regret it if you don’t eat it,” she said.

Junhyung felt a bit cheered up by her ‘promotion’ of the soup.  He smiled and looked again at his soup.  He took one spoonful of it and savoured the taste.  It didn’t bring back his appetite but it was calming and healing.  He forced down another spoonful before he saw Gikwang came and sat beside them.

“It’s good, right?” he asked, eyes were still wet with tears and nose was still red from recent crying.  He smiled nevertheless, at him.  That was enough to make Junhyung felt accepted.  Sierra and Gikwang didn’t make him feel like a stranger.

“I hope you are not taking Hyunseung seriously.  He’s just…stressing out, I guess,” Gikwang said, trying hard to make it convincing.  Junhyung nodded but didn’t say anything.  So, Gikwang diverted his attention to Erika.

“I am your best friend, Erika.  You can tell me everything.  You’ll have my support,” Gikwang said.

Both of them ended up talking about it.  Junhyung didn’t want to get himself into their conversation.  He listened instead, while forcing spoonful of soup down his throat.  But, listening about Dongwoon was really painful.

“What will you do Gikwang, if you were in my place?” Erika whispered, tears rolling down her cheeks, “Tell him that you don’t remember the relationship at all or tell him that you remember him but couldn’t love him all the same anymore?  Which one, Gikwang?” she asked.

Gikwang cried too.  He understood her big dilemma.  What she had chosen to do was perhaps the best way it should be done.  Things were meant to be this way.

When they had finally finished their meal, Sierra collected their bowls and disposed them carefully.  In this desperate time, she had learnt a lot.  The most important thing was to not reveal your position to the enemy, by any means.  Therefore, she did her best to seal everything, although the government search party might never expect them to be at this place.

Yoshikuni came next.  She looked after all of them.  She went to them one by one, checking thoroughly for any sign of shock or possible ailments that might have affected them.  After she had checked on Erika, she suggested that Erika should wear more layers.  It might get too cold and furthermore, she was just recovered from shock.

“What about you, Junhyung?” Yoshikuni asked.

“I am fine,” he replied.  Yoshikuni sighed.  She can’t comprehend why her best friend needed to be so stubborn when he was obviously in need of some medical treatment.

“Let me look at your arm,” she persuaded and gently pulled his arm towards her.  But, he pulled back.

“Don’t,” Junhyung said, gently but strictly.  He gave her a slight shake of his head, “I’m okay.  Nothing is wrong,” he continued.

“I am here to look after you,” she insisted.  She noticed he stole a glance somewhere behind her.

“Take care of Doojoon,” Junhyung said, in a very defeated tone.

Yoshikuni turned her head to see Doojoon glaring dagger at her.  She stood up and walked to him.  She knew what he thought.  Doojoon thought that Junhyung didn’t deserve to be cared for and she was going to change that.

“I don’t get it.  Does he worth your attention?” Doojoon asked, looking Junhyung’s way.

Yoshikuni didn’t answer.  She grabbed Doojoon’s hand and pulled him out of the room.  She didn’t care anymore if Doojoon was still a bit shaky.  To her, if he was okay enough to throw insult to people, that meant he was okay to hear her lecture.  So, when they were out in the hallway, just the two of them, she let out her rage.

“Honestly, Doojoon!  What do you think I was doing?  I was there to see how he was coping!  No, he didn’t flirt with me and no, he didn’t do that with Erika either!  What has gotten your mind so clouded?!  I thought you will be the one to think thoroughly before you act, but apparently I am so wrong!” she spat.  Doojoon was taken aback by her reaction but he kept compose.

“I didn’t say he was flirting with you, or with Erika.  I just say that he’s not worth your attention,” Doojoon retorted.

“Have you taken a look at him?!” she inquired, “Junhyung looks just as bad as you.  I don’t know how long he could stand if he is not treated!”

“Maybe he deserves the mishap,” Doojoon was still firm with his thought.  Yoshikuni’s jaw hung.

“He’s my best friend, Doojoon!  He’s your friend too, in case you don’t remember.”

“Dongwoon’s our friend too,” Doojoon replied heartlessly.  Yoshikuni took a deep breath.  Her tears were threatening to fall.

“Junhyung doesn’t want this to happen, Doojoon.  Dongwoon doesn’t want this to happen too.  It just…happened,” she sobbed, “Maybe it is the best thing that could happen,” she continued.

“But Erika and Junhyung-”

“Doojoon!” she cut him, “If I were in Erika’s place and you were in Dongwoon’s and you know that we can’t be together, what you will do?  What will you do when you know you are going to leave me forever?  Won’t you allow someone to be there for me?  Who will it be?” she asked.

Doojoon was surprised when he was asked such question.  He was left speechless, while staring at Yoshikuni’s face.

“I don’t ask 24 hours of your time for this.  Just a few seconds, Doojoon.  Think, please…” she pleaded.

Doojoon was hit with the unspoken truth.  All this while they were on hiding, surviving on a deserted land and even when they were chased, Junhyung was the most reliable person he could think of.  Junhyung had always kept them safe, by any means.  If he were to left Yoshikuni with anybody else, it would be his most reliable and trusted friend.  It would be Junhyung.

“You get it, now, do you?” Yoshikuni asked and she turned away.  She was going to walk back into the room when Doojoon caught her hand.

“I am sorry, Yoshikuni.  I should have thought about it more deeply,” he said and he pulled her to him.

Without a moment to spare, Yoshikuni wept straight away.  She went crumbling onto her knees.  Doojoon went down with her.  She had kept it since afternoon and now she was letting it go.

“You don’t know how it felt.  You were dead, Doojoon.  You stopped breathing.  I was lost,” she sobbed, “You don’t know…”

Doojoon hugged her tightly.  He knew he was gone for a while.  Yoseob had explained to him after he woke up with confusion.  What he didn’t know was how she felt with too much happened in a day.

“I was so lost…” she paused to take a deep breath, “I need someone to anchor me,” she continued weeping.  Everything made sense to Doojoon now.  He let his tears fell too.

“I am here for you…”

+++++

Yoseob looked at his watch.  It was nearly eleven at night.  Sierra was lying beside him, looking every inch of his face.  He looked at hers too.  They spoke of nothing though.  Everybody else was asleep.  Gikwang was the first to sleep.  He was out when they were all quiet, listening to Yoshikuni’s sobbing in the hallway.  It was too sorrowful that Gikwang might not want to hear it any longer.

Then, Hyunseung gave in.  He was crying too when Yoshikuni was crying.  Yoseob can’t figure out why but he guesses Hyunseung was really hurt by Dongwoon’s death.  They had just met again but were torn apart in a very short time.  It was unfair.  Hyunseung cried to sleep.  Then, Yoseob saw Doojoon came in carrying Yoshikuni is his arm.  She must be utterly spent.  He had put her beside him and both of them had slept side by side.  The sight of them was so emotive.  They had gone through so much.  Yoseob swore they don’t deserve to be in this kind of situation.

A moment after Doojoon fell asleep, Junhyung had moved from the corner of the room to the door.  He sat there, hand kept holding his rifle.  He looked exhausted.  Yoseob wondered if that man slept at all these few days.  Erika had walked to him a moment later.  She sat beside him and leaned on his shoulder.  After a while, her eyes became droopy.  Junhyung had slowly removed his outer jacket and put it around her to keep her warm.  Then, he was back to his routine, watching the hallway like the others didn’t exist around him.  His eyes were empty.

“You see that too, don’t you?” Sierra whispered.  Their faces were so near each other.  He could see through her tired eyes easily.

“See what?” he whispered back, stealing a glance Junhyung’s way.  He seems to not notice they were conversing.

“Junhyung’s broken too,” Sierra said.  Yoseob looked at Junhyung.  Sierra’s statement was right.

“I know…but I can’t comprehend how all of this could happen at the last moment of Dongwoon’s life,” Yoseob said, just enough for the two of them to hear.

“You decide to blame him too?” Sierra asked.  Yoseob shrugged and she continued, “Dongwoon didn’t blame him, at all,” she stated.

“I know…but I can’t…it was a serious betrayal,” Yoseob replied.  Sierra took Yoseob’s hand and held it tight.  Then, she scooted nearer to him that their noses touched.

“It is not a betrayal.  Dongwoon didn’t think it like that,” she paused, “Just look at them, Yoseob.  Look at them carefully.  You will see what Dongwoon had seen in them,” she encouraged.

Yoseob stole a glance again.  Erika was sleeping with her head on Junhyung’s shoulder.  Her face was calm but there were dried tears lining her face.  She was broken and needed someone to hold on too.  That someone was Junhyung.  Although Junhyung had broken himself, he had stayed strong for her.  He had protected her all the way.  He made sure she was comfortable and warm.  He protected them all.  Yoseob suddenly became tearful at the sight.

“They are meant to be together,” Sierra said and Yoseob diverted his glance to her, “It was meant to happen,” she held his hand tighter, “This can happen to anyone you know, anyone of us?”

Yoseob nodded, “Yes,” he said softly.  Now, single tear dropped from his eyes.

“What if this happen to us, Yoseob?  What if we love each other and those near us do not support us and hate our affectionate feelings toward each other?  Does that hurt a lot?” she asked.

“Yes,” another tear dropped as he answered.

“So, I hope you understand,” Sierra pleaded, “I love you so much,” she said before she leaned in to kiss his forehead.  Then, holding his hand, Sierra entered her own dreamland.

Yoseob closed his eyes and he too, fell asleep quickly.

+++++

Yoseob woke up in the middle of the night.  He stretched his body a bit, to loosen his muscles.  After he did that, he felt fully-rested, as though he had slept forever.  He took in his surrounding slowly.  The others were still asleep, still in their dreamlands, be it a good one or a bad one.  Except for one person, the one person Yoseob now fully gave his attention to.

Junhyung was still awake but his face was pale and his eyes were empty.  He was leaning against the wall with Erika still leaned against his shoulder.  His left hand was holding the rifle.  And…was he shivering?

Yoseob wanted to look at his watch but noticed that his hand was held by Sierra.  He removed her hand gently, pressed a quick kiss on her forehead and sat up slowly.  Junhyung didn’t notice though, he kept his eyes on the hallway but Yoseob knew that didn’t have that full attention on it.  Yoseob was sure he was just as tired as they all were and needed to rest.  So, he stood up and walked to Junhyung.  He didn’t forget to take his heat pad along with him.

“Junhyung?” he called his friend.  Junhyung turned very quickly and Yoseob thought he had his neck broken.

“Yoseob?” Junhyung paused, trying to overcome the awkwardness, “Why don’t you sleep some more?” he asked.

“No, I slept enough,” Yoseob replied, “You need to sleep,” he stated firmly.

“Not sleepy,” Junhyung answered.

“You are shivering,” Yoseob gave him the heat pad.

“Thanks,” Junhyung accepted it gratefully and continued to stare at Yoseob, “I am sorry if I wake you up,” he apologized.

“No.  I am sorry, Junhyung,” Yoseob said, truly meant it.  He waited for Junhyung’s answered but when he didn’t say a word, Yoseob continued, “Sleep.  I’ll keep watching.”

Junhyung didn’t budge though and after a while contemplating he voiced, “I need to ask you a favour,” he swallowed.  Yoseob felt really guilty.  Since when did Junhyung ask him a favour?  They were friends and friends gladly did things for each other, not doing a favour.

“Junhyung, you are my friend.  You know you can always come to me when you need me.  I am not doing you a favour,” Yoseob made that clear.  Junhyung smiled and suddenly Yoseob noticed that he hadn’t seen Junhyung smile for a while now.

“When I packed your bag, I put-”

“Computer and devices.  Yes, I figured that out yesterday.  You must have some plans.  Anything I could do?” Yoseob finished it.

Junhyung nodded and he stood up after gently placed Erika on a sleeping bag.  Yoseob noticed the restriction to the movement of his right hand.  In fact, his movements were not as strong always.  Yoseob made a mental note to check on him first thing in the morning.  Junhyung was hiding something from them.

Junhyung came back to Yoseob, asking him to update their next route into their GPS devices.  He made a few alterations to it and finally it was ready to be updated.  While Yoseob did his work, Junhyung busied himself checking everyone’s backpacks to make sure they have the essentials they need to survive.  He had refilled everyone’s water bottle with clean water.  Yoseob pretended like he didn’t see, but he knew Junhyung transferred more heat pads from his packs to theirs.

That made Yoseob wondered if Junhyung didn’t sleep at all packing their backpacks the night before they started their journey.  Yoseob had been ungrateful and rude towards Junhyung.  But, Junhyung didn’t say a thing about it.  Yoseob’s guilt mounted to a new level.

“Yoseob?” Junhyung called after a while they were too immersed in their work, “Can I sleep-” he checked his watch, “for half an hour?” he asked.  Yoseob checked his watch too.  It was six in the morning.

“I don’t mind if you want to sleep longer,” Yoseob shrugged.

“No!” he quickly disagreed, “We need to start early.  I don’t want us to stay at one place for too long.”

“Well, okay.  Sleep, then.  You know that you need it,” Yoseob said.  He was actually glad that Junhyung acted like a normal human for a while.

“Could you please tell Yoshikuni to take the lead today?  I don’t think I can do it,” Junhyung finally admitted.

“No problem, Junhyung.  It’s all set,” Yoseob nodded and smiled.

+++++

“Junhyung?” he could feel someone shaking him.  He opened his eyes and found himself staring at Doojoon, “Do you think you can continue the journey today?” Doojoon turned to the others who were standing at the back, “I think we should let him rest some more,” he suggested.

Then, everything registered.  He recalled everything at the back of his mind.  They were chased by the government people who wanted the information from them.  He felt his pocket and he could feel the IPod safe inside it.  Then, he remembered Dongwoon and his heart clenched.  He remembered how he wanted to keep his friends safe and they were not supposed to stay at one place for too long.  Swiftly, his eyes moved to his watch.  They have let him slept for an hour.

“No,” he disagreed with Doojoon, “We should go now.  The faster we go the better.  We are going on the land for a while before we get back underground.  It would be better if we are ahead of them,” he sat up slowly.

“Look at yourself now, Junhyung.  We are all worried,” Doojoon said softly, frowning at Junhyung’s physical condition.

“Nope.  Maybe we should go before we all die here,” Hyunseung interfered.  His tried a cold tone, but everyone can see that he was concern for Junhyung too.

“Yeah.  I slept for an hour,” he gave a look at Yoseob, “That’s more than enough for today’s journey,” his tone indicated the finality on the matter.

They were all set for the journey.  They went out through the back door of the camp and gathered around to get into formation.  As they had agreed just this morning, Yoshikuni will take the lead.

“I’ll be the last man,” Junhyung volunteered.

“No, I’ll be the last man.  I think you should take it easy today,” Yoseob argued, “You too, Doojoon,” he said before Doojoon could volunteer for the job.  Doojoon nodded.

“And you think I will let you expose your back?” Junhyung asked.  His throat was getting scratchy.

“Then, will I let you?” Yoseob asked.

“Oh, I won’t let you be the last man,” Hyunseung interfered again and for a moment Junhyung thought there was a genuine concern but then Hyunseung continued harshly, “Because we all know that you will be happy to stab us from the back.  Maybe you’ll be happy to do it literally.”

That had really touched Junhyung’s nerve.  He gritted his teeth and clenched his fist, biting back the anger that tried to consume him.

“Can you please trust me just this one time?” Junhyung asked sternly.  Hyunseung’s face changed.

“What make you think I can trust you?  You betrayed him, !  You took everything away from him at the last moment of his life!  You stole his happiness!  Don’t expect me to look at you the same anymore!” Hyunseung shouted and he stormed away.  He ran and ran on the sandy land.

Only a moment later, Junhyung overcame his anger and realised that Hyunseung had, in fact, ran alone without the others with him.  For all Junhyung knew, he was exposing himself right now.  The enemy could be anywhere.  Heart thumping loudly, he could feel blood rushing in his body.  He needed to get Hyunseung as fast as possible.  The others followed a bit later but realised how vulnerable the situation was nonetheless.

“Hyunseung!” he shouted, calling for him.

The other man didn’t stop.  He ran and ran and cried at the same time.  Then, he stepped onto something that made him stopped dead on his track.  He heard a click.  In fact, everyone heard a click.

“Everybody stop running!” Junhyung shouted, immediately stopped himself.

Nobody moved for a moment.  They froze on the ground, eyes watching everywhere for any sign of enemy.  But, they knew that the real enemy now was probably anywhere on the ground.  It was probably just one step away.

“Hyunseung, don’t lift your leg.  Keep it down!” Junhyung shouted.

Hyunseung didn’t move at all.  His head hung.  He looked at his leg.  There, underneath it, he saw the explosive.  He had stepped on a mine.  He shuddered at the thought of how it would be deadly if he continued to run away just now.

“Hyunseung, I’m coming to get you!  But, I need to check on the others first!” Junhyung instructed.

“What am I stepping on, Junhyung?” somehow, his own name sounded so foreign coming out from Hyunseung’s mouth.

“Something possibly deadly,” Junhyung said after a pause, “But, don’t worry.  I am going to get you.  Don’t lift your leg!” he said again.

“No.  You’re lying.  You can’t save me!” Hyunseung was sobbing now.

Junhyung paused.  He can’t have another friend die in this battle.  He can’t let anyone die again.  He tried to find something that can convince Hyunseung, “Listen to me, Hyunseung!  You can forever not trust me after this.  But, right now I need you to put your full trust on me, okay?”

He waited for an answer and finally he could see Hyunseung nodded, “Okay!” he shouted back, his voice was contaminated with fear.

Junhyung carefully walked to the others.  He assessed the field properly as he got back to them.  He deduced that the others were safe.  They were on a land not wired with mines.  Even his place ahead of them just now was safe.  Hyunseung might be unlucky to step on the first mine that was wired at the border of the mine land.

“Don’t go anywhere.  Just stay here.  I’ll go and see what I can do for him,” Junhyung instructed the others.

“You can’t just go there.  You can get blown up,” Yoshikuni objected.

“Well, I can’t just leave him there to die now, can I?” Junhyung asked.  Yoshikuni hesitated, “Yoshikuni, you know better than the others what I am capable of,” he reminded her.

“But, you are not well-”

“I am fine,” Junhyung insisted, “And Hyunseung is going to be fine too.”

Yoshikuni nodded and let him go.  But, Erika suddenly called for him.

“Junhyung!” she shouted.  He looked at her, “Just be careful,” she said, more like instructing him.  Junhyung nodded.

Junhyung walked quickly, yet carefully to where Hyunseung was standing.  He carefully set his backpack beside him as he crouched down to assess the situation.  Hyunseung had activated the mine, no doubt about it.

“If you move your leg, both of us are dead,” Junhyung said but then he noticed something else, “Well, Hyunseung.  I take it back.  All of us are dead.  This mine is wired in a way that if one goes off, the others will as well.  This particular mine could explode with energy so powerful it can reach them over there,” he pointed the others.

“You say you can save me…” Hyunseung whimpered.  Junhyung nodded.

“I can,” he said, very assuring.

“How do you know you can?” Hyunseung asked as Junhyung started to take out some stuff from his backpack.

“Because I engineered this mine, Hyunseung.  Not, this land.  Just the mine.  I know how to disable it,” Junhyung stated.

Hyunseung didn’t say anything.  He looked at how concentrate Junhyung was in disabling the mine under his leg.  He didn’t know what he was doing but he was definitely working on it.  Hyunseung trusted him.  Hyunseung knew Junhyung will save him, save them.  But, he was worried for him.  Every time the wind blew, Junhyung shivered violently.  He also noticed that Junhyung winced all the time when he worked up his right hand.

“Junhyung, are you alright?” Hyunseung asked.  Junhyung gave him a nonsensical look.

“Look who’s talking,” Junhyung replied.

“No…your arm.  It is getting worst, isn’t it?” he asked.  Junhyung sighed.

“Let me worry about that.  Now back to business,” he said and then ended their conversation.

Finally, after ten fearful minutes, Junhyung sighed in relief.  He asked Hyunseung to lift up his leg and stepped aside carefully, not to step on another mine.  Hyunseung hesitated, but he had decided to trust Junhyung, with his life.  He lifted up his leg and nothing happened.  Junhyung had led him back to the others.  That was when Hyunseung engulfed Junhyung in a tight hug.

“I am sorry.  You could have just let me die there,” he said, shedding sincere tears.

“No, I won’t do that,” Junhyung replied, “You’re my friend.”

Hyunseung looked at him and nodded, “I know.”

And they got back into formation.  Yoshikuni led them in the front and Junhyung guarded them at the back.  Everything was fine for a moment.  They walked for a mile at least.  Then, Yoseob had first dropped unconscious and followed by the others.  It was too late when Junhyung noticed a silent shooter must have shot sedating darts at them.  He wanted to shoot back when a dart was buried in his neck and he too, fell into blackness.

 

 

Here's the new update.  The next chapter will be the last one, but it might take me a while before I start on it.

 

Mood: Grumpy grumpy

Listening to: Davichi: Don't You Know