Hello, Goodbye

Against All Odds

Previously..

Mr.Yoo inspected Seohyun's expression throughly and said, "What if, Miss Seo Ju Hyun, I was about to offer you a spot in teaching in my music school as my music apprentice ? Would you accept my offer?".
Seohyun gasped slightly, slightly ajar as she digested the news, "Y-Yes! Yes, I would love to!", a smile spreaded across Seohyun's face.
Yonghwa smiled from one corner as he watched her happy face. Mr. Yoo nod, his face almost still and said, "I'll see you tomorrow at sharp eight o'clock".
"Ne! Thank you!" Seohyun bowed towards Mr. Yoo as he left the room.
Yonghwa got up and clapped slowly for Seohyun. Seohyun covered with her hands and turned to face Yonghwa, happiness was almost leaking from her face. Yonghwa walked slowly towards her and joked, "Congratulations my beautiful pianist girlfriend".
Seohyun laughed heartily and Yonghwa swore he could see her eyes still water from laughing too hard. 
Yonghwa opened his arms wide as he approached her and Seohyun almost flung herself into his arms. He wrapped his arms tightly around her and embraced her warmly, almost lifting her feet off the ground.
Seohyun whispered at his ear, "Thank you, Yonghwa-shii. Thank you so much".
Yonghwa smiled proudly and pat her hair lovingly.

 


 

 

Seohyun and Yonghwa exited the building hand in hand and headed towards the car. Seohyun was now comfortable with holding hands with Yonghwa at all times and understood that was what he wanted. The autumn wind blew gently as they strolled down the path together. 
"Where do you want to spend your free evening at?" Yonghwa asked. 
Seohyun looked suspiciously at Yonghwa, "I bet you already arranged everything behind my back, why ask?". 
Yonghwa shrugged, "Just in case you plan to runaway, just know you can't. 
Seohyun let out a small laugh," Ahrasso, I won't run but can we make a small detour before we head to wherever you planned to go? ". 
Yonghwa lifted an eyebrow, " Where do you want to go?". 
"I have been searching for houses to rent ever since and I finally found a decent one at KamDangdong so I wanted to check it out with you, get some opinion" Seohyun said. 
"Sure but I don't understand why you must rent another house" Yonghwa sighed, "You could just live with me". 
Seohyun stuck our her tongue childishly, "I would rather not live with a ert". 
"Yah! I told you I am a golden bachelor! You can't find another like me!" Yonghwa said in frustration. 
Seohyun nod absent-minded, "Yes, you're gold, silver whatever, let's go". 
Seohyun dragged Yonghwa to the car as he muttered irritatingly, "This woman doesn't know what she got". 


 

Seohyun directed Yonghwa to the new housing area, and unsurprising to anyone, they argue all the way there. 
"Yah, I said turn right and you turned left! "Seohyun complained. 
Yonghwa defended himself, " Says the person who can't drive, this is a shortcut!". 
Seohyun rolled her eyes, "Oh really? This is going the opposite direction, how can it be a shortcut? Just because I can't drive doesn't mean I have bad sense of direction!". 
 "I don't have a bad sense of direction!" Yonghwa snapped and made a sharp U-Turn. 
Seohyun let out a sigh and pointed at a distant row of terrace houses, "There, that's the place. Can you please park somewhere, Mr. I-Got-A-Little-Sense-Of-Direction?". 
"Ahrasso" Yonghwa gave up on arguing and park at the roadside. Turning off the car engine, he opened the passenger door and held it open for Seohyun. 
"Finally we reached", Seohyun let out a sigh of relief. "I thought we were going to reach Busan before we ever reach here". 
Yonghwa closed the door behind her and locked the car, "Yah, it's not that bad. I'm new to this area so I don't really know my way around". 
Seohyun considered for a moment and nod in agreement, "Hmm well, this isn't an area you would think of visiting so I agree". 
Yonghwa looked around and realised why Seohyun said it wasn't the sort of area he would visit. It was very much less fancier than his housing area. The surrounding houses were all either budget apartments or single story houses. The condition of the houses was old and some were losing paint from corrosion. 
Yonghwa turned to Seohyun, "Where is the house you said you wanted to rent?". 
Seohyun pointed up the street, "It's all the way up there". 
"Let's go then",  Yonghwa grabbed Seohyun by the hand and led her up the street. 
Seohyun smiled as Yonghwa's warm hand wrapped itself against hers. They strolled up the street as the autumn wind blew gently. 
Seohyun tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear and asked, "Yonghwa-shii, just now, did you say you asked my brother about my dreams to be a pianist?". 
Yonghwa nod, "Yeah, why?". 
Seohyun shook her head and sighed, "Aigoo, he's going to use this as a reason again". 
Yonghwa looked confused and asked, "What do you mean?". 
 "Jonghyunnie, he wants to be a guitarist when he grow up but.. I don't agree" Seohyun explained. 
"I remember, the first dinner we had together at my place, Jonghyun said he wanted to be a guitarist in the future but.. you were on her side then", Yonghwa struggled to reminisce. 
Seohyun pulled a face, "Of course, if I had to choose between you who I hated and my brother, I would support my brother". 
"Well, that's reasonable but I love how you used hated instead of hate" Yonghwa grinned and knocked Seohyun playfully with the shoulder. "but, your dream is to be a musician just like your brother". 
Seohyun sighed, "My dream was to be a pianist, but I almost gave up on it, remember? But my brother, he is still young and he has a bright future. I know how difficult it is without a degree behind him nowadays, I just want him to have a good life in the future". 
"You don't think he can have a good life being a musician?" Yonghwa inquired. 
"I am just being realistic, Yonghwa-shii. He's never going to earn as much as being a accountant or lawyer as he is going to if he is a guitarist. I don't want him to have to live off playing streets and earning small tips. I want my brother to have a good life", Seohyun said sincerely. 
Yonghwa squeezed her hand reassuringly, "Jonghyun is still young, he can still change his mind anytime. Don't worry too much" Yonghwa comforted Seohyun. 
Seohyun nod, smiling slightly, "This is it". They stopped in front of a small terrace house, with a small garden. The house was painted white and the garden was filled with tall grass. The gate was waist high and the white paint was slightly worn out. However, Seohyun broke into a wide smile at the sight of the house and asked gleefully, "What do you think?". 
Yonghwa scanned the house and was about to answer honestly that he didn't think it was anything special. However, he stopped and answered with a small smile, "It's perfect". 


Seohyun grinned and pulled Yonghwa into the house, pushing the gates open. 
Seohyun called out loudly, "Ahjumma! I'm here, ahjumma!". 
An aunty wearing an apron appeared from the front door and greeted them enthusiastically, "Aigoo, you're here? Welcome, come in!". 
"Annyeonghasaeyo" Yonghwa and Seohyun both greeted her and followed her into the house. 
Entering the house, they were immediately greeted by a small living room consisting of a red two seater sofa and a small LCD TV. At one open corner was a small kitchen, with a refrigerator, stove and marble counters. A narrow hallway leads down to three doors, which Yonghwa was certain was the bedrooms and one bathroom. 
The ahjumma smirked at them and nudged Seohyun, "Seohyun-shii, is this your boyfriend?". 
Seohyun blushed and nod shyly while Yonghwa pushed out his chest proudly. 
"I will be moving out of here by the end of the month, if you are satisfied then I will have the rental contract ready to be signed", the ahjumma said. 
Seohyun nod, "Is it going to be the same price as we discussed?". 
"Of course, I understand your difficulties financially. As long as you agree to rent this house for the agreed period, I can accept your price offer" the ahjumma said. 
Seohyun smiled gratefully, "Thank you, ahjumma. This means a lot to me". 
"You're welcome, dear" the ahjumma smiled at Seohyun. 
"We'll be going then, ahjumma. I will keep in touch" Seohyun bid the ahjumma goodbye. 
Yonghwa bowed to the ahjumma, "Goodbye, it was nice to meet you". 
"Goodbye, it was nice meeting you. Treat Seohyun well, ahrasso?" the ahjumma smirked at Yonghwa. 
Yonghwa turned slightly red and nod, "Ne, of course". 
They left the house and strolled down the road together. Seohyun linked arms with Yonghwa playfully and asked, "Yonghwa-shii, answer me honestly. What did you think about the house?". 
Yonghwa hesitated and answered cautiously, "Are you sure you want to hear the truth?". 
Seohyun nod, "I can take it, don't worry". 
Yonghwa bit his lips gently and said, "Well, honestly it is a lot smaller than I imagined. Maybe I'm used to living in the villa, being in such a small house was a little weird". 
"What else?" Seohyun motioned him to continue. 
"and.. the paint was worn out and the garden wasn't neat" Yonghwa blurted out. 
Seohyun nod satisfyingly, "Yes, it was. I guess the house is really inferior compared to yours". 
Yonghwa smiled to himself and held Seohyun's hand in his, "Yes, I admit the house is smaller, older and less fancier but after living with you and your brother for a while, I came to realise something". 
Seohyun glanced up at Yonghwa curiously, "What is it?". 
Yonghwa squeezed Seohyun's hand gently, "Just because a house is big doesn't mean the family living in it is happy. Yes, I lived in a big house all my life with my sister but I hardly have a conversation with her at all. Then I meet you and your brother. When I visited your house, I saw how you and your brother argue over the smallest thing and laugh over it later. I watched how, even in my house, you always visit Jonghyun's room every night just to talk to him about random events of the day. That's when I realised you are used to always being with your brother while I, living in my big villa, barely understand what's happening in my sister's life. Therefore, I understand that a house's size doesn't matter, as long as the family living in it is blissful". 
Seohyun stared at Yonghwa with an impressed expression. Yonghwa lifted an eyebrow and asked, "Why are you staring at me like this?". 
Seohyun grinned at Yonghwa, "This is the first time you looked attractive to me". 
Yonghwa looked flabbergasted and gasped, "I am always this attractive, how could you not have noticed?". 
Seohyun rolled her eyes and pulled him to walk faster. 

 


 

Yonghwa pulled the gear into park mode as they stopped in front of a beach. A number of families were playing at the seaside and a few couples were enjoying the sea breeze. Seohyun's expression froze slightly at the sight of the sea and her lips tighten subconsciously. 
Yonghwa turned to Seohyun, "We're here! Hey.. what's with the expression?". 
Seohyun immediately snapped out of her trance and gave him a forced smile, "It's nothing. Let's go". 
Seohyun opened the passenger door and exit the vehicle in a hurry. Yonghwa followed after her, looking confused. 
Seohyun quickly changed the topic before Yonghwa could bring it up again, "Is there any special reason you brought me to the sea?". 
Yonghwa nod, "I wanted to throw you into the water so you can drown and then I can perform mouth-to-mouth resuscitation on you". 
Seohyun hit Yonghwa on the shoulder playfully, "I'll judo flip you into the water and let you drown instead but the difference is, I will kick you deep inside and leave you behind". 
Yonghwa put on a pained expression and pouted, "Ouch, that will hurt". 
Seohyun grinned, "Of course". 
Yonghwa grabbed Seohyun's hand and pulled her towards the beach, "Then let's not waste time, being judo flipped by you seems like a brilliant way to die". 
Seohyun looked at Yonghwa incredulously and said, "Sometimes, I question your sanity. Wait, did I say sometime? I mean all the time". 
Yonghwa smirked, "I'm crazy for you, that's why". 
Seohyun lowered her gaze to the sand so Yonghwa can't see the blush spreading rapidly across her face. 
"Here!" Yonghwa pointed to a mat laid neatly on the floor with a wooden picnic basket at the center. "Yah, my secretary really prepared this place well". 
Seohyun glared at Yonghwa, "Yah, your secretary is for work, not to plan your secret dates". 
Yonghwa shrugged, "Money makes the world go around, sweetheart. Sit down".
Yonghwa sat on the mat beside Seohyun and together, they opened the wooden basket. Inside was a champagne, two wine glasses, a tupperware filled with perfectly cut sandwiches and an icebox. 
Yonghwa pulled out the champagne and winked at Seohyun, "Champagne, Miss?". 

Yonghwa and Seohyun sat on the mat, their legs stretched out in front of them as they sipped the champagne from their glasses. The waves crashed rhythmically towards shore and the seagulls were announcing their arrival. All around, screams and cooes could be heard from families with children and the couples were mostly talking an evening walk by the shore. 
Seohyun sipped a little champagne from her wine glass and said, "I'm really happy today, thanks to you". 
Yonghwa turned to look at her, "I'm really glad to hear that, Seo Ju Hyun-shii". 
Seohyun shook her head, "Not just because I was accepted by Mr. Yoo but because we are here now at this place. I can't remember the last time I was so relaxed at one place, just taking my time to enjoy nature". 
Yonghwa lowered his champagne slightly and said, "If you like it, we could come here whenever we are free". 
Seohyun shook her head again, "It's not like that, it's just that.. if it wasn't for you, Jung Yonghwa. I might not have the courage to ever stand here and face the sea again". 
"Why is that?" Yonghwa asked gently. 
"It was a very long time ago and I don't feel like reminiscing at all but it hurt me enough that I never had the courage to face the sea for a long time. It's my first time here in years" Seohyun said, twirling the wine in her glass. 
"Did I make the wrong choice of location for a date? " Yonghwa asked worried. 
"Aniyo, I like it" Seohyun turned and smile towards Yonghwa, "This is perfect". 
Yonghwa smiled in relief and sipped the champagne once again, "The sun is setting in less than one hour, let's watch the sunset and head home for dinner okay?". 
Seohyun nod and together, they watched the sunset down the sea, not realising their hands were still laced together as they were meant to be. 

 


 

Jonghyun and Yoona were sitting leisurely on the giant couch, his arm draped loosely around her as she leaned her head on his shoulder. The TV was playing Star King and SNSD was the guest star of the day. The MC asked Taeyeon to do a backflip which she did a funny wriggle and flopped to the floor, failing  miserably. Jonghyun and Yoona roared in laughter at the humorous antics. 
"Yoona-yah, what time did you say your brother was coming home for dinner again? ", Jonghyun asked casually. 
Yoona thought for a moment,  " He didn't specify the time but he said after sundown or something like that". 
Ai Yeon bursted out of the kitchen door and gasped, "The sir is on the way!". 
As if instinctively, Jonghyun and Yoona immediately sprang apart and sat at opposite sides of the couch. Jonghyun cleared his throat while Yoona smoothen the hair hastily. The front door opened and Yonghwa and Seohyun entered, looking completely unususpicious. 
Ai Yeon silently disappeared back into the kitchen and closed the door silently behind her. 
Jonghyun and Yoona got up almost too happily and Yoona said, "You're home, oppa?". 
Yonghwa glanced up at his sister, "Oh, yeah. What's with the unusual overflowing happy expression?". 
Yoona smiled sweetly, "Aniyo, I'm just too happy to see you".
Yonghwa shrugged out the matter and peered over towards the dining table. "Ai Yeon!" Yonghwa called out loudly. 
Ai Yeon immediately emerged out of the kitchen, her hands placed neatly in front of her apron, "Yes sir?". 
"Get the table ready, we are going to start dinner now" Yonghwa instructed. 
"Ne!" Ai Yeon bowed and retreated into the kitchen. 
Seohyun linked her arms around Jonghyun's arm playfully and ruffled Jonghyun's hair, "Uri dongsaeng, do you know what happened to noona today?". 
Jonghyun winced at Seohyun's girly voice, "Yah, why are you behaving this way?". 
Seohyun announced excitedly at Jonghyun, "Noona got a new job at Dalkong School of Music!". 
Jonghyun's jaw dropped as he perked up, "What? Dalkong - you mean, that famous, prestigious school of music?!". 
Seohyun grinned and nod excitedly, "The one and only". 
"but, how-when-how did you get in?" Jonghyun was loss in words. 
"It's all thanks to Yonghwa-shii", Yonghwa pushed out his chest proudly when he heard Seohyun say that, "He arranged a meeting between me and Mr. Yoo this afternoon, I played the piano for Mr. Yoo and I think I managed to impress him. He accepted me as his music apprentice!". 
Jonghyun's eyes widen and his eyes shone, "Noona! You played the piano? You are playing the piano again?". 
Seohyun smiled happily and nod. Jonghyun held Seohyun's arm and together, they jumped excitedly at the news.
"OMONA!", they screamed in delight. 
Yonghwa and Yoona smiled at the sight of the excited siblings. 
Yoona pat Yonghwa on the back hard. Yonghwa pretended to choke slightly and complained, "Yah, my back is breaking". 
Yoona grinned proudly at Yonghwa and said, "I'm proud of you, oppa. You did the right thing". 
Yonghwa wrapped his arm around Yoona's shoulder and pulled her close, "Aigoo, now you know how impressive your brother is?". 
Yoona rolled her eyes and slipped under Yonghwa's arm, allowing his arm to fall freely. 
"Yah, where are you going? Agree with me!" Yonghwa complained loudly. 
"Keep quiet, Yonghwa-shii" Seohyun gave Yonghwa a dirty look and went to the dining table with Jonghyun at her heels. 
Yonghwa pretended to be shocked and mouthed, "This is supposed to be my house tsk". 
"It's dinner time, Mr. This-Is-My-House" Seohyun called from the dining room. 
"Ne" Yonghwa answered happily and followed the rest into the dining room. 

 

Yonghwa watched gratefully as Seohyun, Jonghyun and Yoona ate peacefully at the table, occasionally chatting about the daily events and making jokes. 
How long has it been since he had been this grateful for having dinner with the people he loved? 
Suddenly, Ai Yeon bursted into the room in a hurry and bowed in apology, "I'm sorry for disturbing your meal, sir but someone is here to meet-". 
"Move aside, Ai Yeon. I'll tell them myself" A voice came from behind Ai Yeon and a lady appeared from the living room. 
The lady had a tall, lean figure and long, straight brown hair. Her hair was cut in a typical barbie doll hairstyle and her forehead was covered with fringe. Seohyun noticed everything on her looked brand new, even her hair looked like they were recently straightened less than one hour ago. She wore a white lacy dress with a contrasting apple red sling bag. 
Seohyun couldn't doubt, she was very beautiful. However, there was a smirk on her face that somehow terrified Seohyun, as if she couldn't guess what this girl was even thinking or planning to do next. 
Ji Yeon looked at Yonghwa and Yoona as if she was expecting a reaction she wasn't receiving.
Ji Yeon addressed Yoona, "Yoona, is this how you greet eonnie after not seeing me for so many years?". 
Yoona looked horribly forced as she bowed towards Ji Yeon, "Annyeonghasaeyo eonnie". Ji Yeon smiled coldly at Yoona and turned to smiled at Yonghwa, "Annyeonghasaeyo, Yonghwa oppa. It's been a while". 
Yonghwa didn't answer but shifted uncomfortably at his seat beside Seohyun. 
Jonghyun stared at Ji Yeon strangely and asked, "Excuse me, who are you?". 
Ji Yeon turned to Jonghyun, saying in a snarky tone,

"I could ask you the same thing. I'm Sung Ji Yeon, Yonghwa oppa's girlfriend". 

 


AUTHOR'S NOTE

*DRAMATIC DRUMROLL PLEASE*

A quick update because I didnt want to take too long to update and I'm really in the mood rn (although it's a bit short but it's a one day work so bear with me)

I feel like it's been a little too peaceful lately so I brought a little drama with me today !

and it's funny how one of you readers commented about Yonghwa and Seohyun staying together when I was just about to discuss about the Seo siblings new house, sometimes I feel like you guys read my mind like a book.

Till next time, annyeong !

THANKS FOR READING AND COMMENTING !

btw, if are wondering what does Sung Ji Yeon look like, I actually imagined her to look like Yoo Rachel from The Heirs !

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She just has this aura of barbie doll beauty that no one else has.

 

-JungHae