Should He ? Will He ?

Against All Odds

The following morning, Jonghyun came downstairs to a rather -- or honest to say -- VERY WRONG SITUATION. His sister was seated at Yonghwa's right, applying peanut butter to a piece of bread while Yonghwa stirred his cup of coffee with a teaspoon. They seemed to be chatting amusingly about something and they both looked .. happy. Not a single sight of the murderous look they were giving each other just yesterday morning.

Jonghyun blinked really hard and rub his eyes just to reconfirm that his eyes weren't playing tricks on him or he wasn't dreaming.

Weren't they just fighting viciously yesterday?

Jonghyun was actually convinced that they will be at war mode with each other for at least a week, taking their respective stubbornness into account but here they were, chatting over peanut butter.

Jonghyun moved forward slowly towards the dining table. He had to physically push his jaw back up to prevent it from falling open. Yonghwa was the first to notice him shuffling over and greeted him instantly,

"Good morning, Jonghyun".

Seohyun turned away from Yonghwa and looked at him too, grinning happily and looking exceptionally pleased, "Morning!".

Jonghyun pulled a forced smile over his confused face and replied, "Good morning!".

Seohyun raised the bread she just applied peanut butter all over and asked, "Want some?".

Jonghyun sat down to Yonghwa's left and said, "Sure".

Yonghwa glanced at the Rolex watch at his wrist. School doesn't start till two hours later but he was already awake and ready for breakfast. Yonghwa said, "Yoona's still in bed at this time, you're up early".

Jonghyun chuckled, "Old habits die hard, Yonghwa-shii. Our house used to be a bit far from school so I had to get up earlier to walk but .." Jonghyun looked at the clock at the wall and frowned, "Do presidents usually need to get up so early for work?".

Seohyun whom was ignoring their conversations completely and applying peanut butter to Jonghyun's bread, looked up in confusion, "He has a point, what are you doing up so early?".

All Seohyun remembered was coming down at 6:30 in the morning and Yonghwa was already downstairs watching TV, looking presentable and neat. Not at all carrying a sleepy face like her.

Yonghwa looked alarmed while Seohyun cocked her head to one side in confusion.

"Early to bed, early to rise. I live by that principle" Yonghwa said convincingly.

Seohyun shrugged and didn't pressed on but Jonghyun remained suspicious. However, he didn't ask any further questions to Yonghwa's relief. How should he explain that he got up as early as 5:30 in the morning just to wait for Seohyun to wake up -- because he heard the maids say that they prepare early breakfast for her-- so he could have an early breakfast with her without the two kids disturbing them ?

He even sounded like a stalker to himself .

Yonghwa finished drinking his coffee in one go and excused himself to get ready for work, hurrying upstairs. Seohyun passed a piece of peanut butter bread to Jonghyun and continued eating her own bread.

Jonghyun waited until Yonghwa was out of earshot before immediately asking, "So you two back on talking terms again?".

"Mmm hmm" Seohyun hummed, nodding as she chewed her peanut butter bread.

Jonghyun's face flooded with confusion and disbelief, "but how can that be ?! You two were about to kill each other yesterday, and you are the world's most stubborn woman!".

Seohyun glared at Jonghyun and asked viciously, "So do you want me to kill Jung Yong Hwa?".

"No" Jonghyun said quickly. "I'm just curious", not letting Seohyun divert his attention to something else.

Seohyun continued chewing her bread and said casually, "Since he's willing to put down his sky high ego then why shouldn't I let go of my stubbornness and accept his apology? We are going to be living under one roof from now on, I should at least be courteous".

Jonghyun rolled his eyes and muttered under his breath, "You weren't thinking about being courteous when you yelled your head out at Yonghwa-shii yesterday".

Seohyun's eyes narrowed dangerously at Yonghwa, her voice captured a wicked tone, "What did you say?".

"Nothing nothing nothing nothing!" Jonghyun said repeatedly and quickly stuffed his mouth with peanut butter bread.

He still wanted to protect his neck.

 

 


 

Yonghwa stared at the documents in front of him. He was holding a pen in his hand, ready to read the required documents and signing it for immediate process but he couldn't concentrate. Yonghwa slammed down his pen and rest his head into his hands, clouding his eyes with blackness.

Even through the blackness, Jung Yong Hwa felt as though he could see the outline of Seo Ju Hyun's face, then her eyes, her nose, her lips, her neck, her body, her smile ...

"UGHH!" Yonghwa groaned as he threw a document at the wall of his office, earning a startling loud bang.

Was this love all over again ?

He had experienced love before, but never as serious as this. He had past relationships, he had ex-girlfriends but all those were arranged relationships. The girls were all rich girls with perfect family background and rich backups.

He never liked them much.

But now, he fell in love with a normal girl.

Not just that, she was poor, with not much education and not a single criteria for a president's wife.

Did he have the courage to pursue her?

He once told himself, never start a relationship that you know won't have a happy ending .

He knew, if his parents knew about Seo Ju Hyun, they will probably flip and force him to break it off, before quickly marrying him to some rich snotty girl.

But still, until then, he don't think he will ever be able to forget Seo Ju Hyun's smile.

He wanted her but he was afraid of wanting her.

and because of his indecision, he can't concentrate on work and was officially breaking down. He needed to talk to someone, to ask their opinion, to let it out before he went crazy.

But who to go to? Who can he trust not to tell anyone but has good advices that are actually useful ?

How many rich people actually ends up falling in love with poor people ?

 

The answer automatically clicks in Yonghwa's head, as if it has always been there before.

There was a rich person he knew that fell in love with a poor person.

and they were as close as close can be, and he couldn't trust anyone else but that person.

 

He could ask Jung Yoona .

 

His sister fell in love with Seo Jong Hyun, a normal person.

Now he finally understood how much courage it took for Yoona to acccept Jonghyun's love. To not care about anything that will stand in her way.

Their parents, their rich friends, the employees, the press.

He didn't know whether he had the same courage to do the same.

but Yoona was different.

Yoona wasn't the president of KOUTE, her marriage wouldn't affect the company as badly as his would.

His company's stock will rise or fall depending on his marriage.

 

Does he dare to make such a bold move ?

 

 


 

Yoona was tapping her pen rhythmically on her desk as she tried to figure out a Maths solution. Somehow Maths was never her strong hold. Yoona glanced out of the window. Her class was located perfectly where Yoona could look out to the lake, where Jonghyun and Yoona spent most of their lunch time and break at.

It was now 20 minutes to lunch time which means only surviving Maths for another 20 minutes before she could see her boyfriend again.

 

Suddenly, Yoona felt her phone vibrate in her pocket. Embarrassed, Yoona looked up and saw her teacher lecturing them in front about the Algebraic Expressions. She couldn't answer the phone now without being thrown out of class.

Yoona tried to ignore the vibrating phone but it kept vibrating violently until her friends that sat around her turned to look at her, trying to identify the weird vibrating sound.

Yoona prayed hard that whoever was calling would stop but that person evidently had no intention to.

Giving up, Yoona got up and went forward, trying to act natural, "Seongsaeng-nim, may I go to the washroom?" Yoona asked politely.

"You may" the teacher nod and continued teaching.

Yoona dashed out of the classroom and only swiped her phone out of her pocket when she was far from her class. She checked the missed calls and saw.

 

Yonghwa oppa (6 missed calls)

 

Her phone started vibrating again and the screen flickered to show Yonghwa oppa calling again.

Yoona sighed and answered exasperatedly, "Yoboseyo".

"It's me, Yonghwa" Yonghwa said.

"I know. How can I not know when you called me 7 times in class?" Yoona sighed loudly.

"Was I disturbing your class? Sorry" Yonghwa said casually. "Anyways, when is your lunch period?".

"In 10 minutes, why?" Yoona asked.

"Wait for me at the front gate, I will come and pick you up" Yonghwa said.

"Wait--what?" Yoona asked in surprise.

Yonghwa said slowly, "I said, you are eating lunch with me today and no, you aren't allowed to bring your boyfriend. He has to eat alone today. I will drive there now, bye".

The phone clicked and the call ended before Yoona could protest.

Yoona sighed and pouted.

There goes her lunch date with Jonghyun.

 

 


 

 

Yonghwa tapped his fingers on the steering wheel as he scanned the front gate for Yoona. He spotted her walking out, Jonghyun by her side. Didn't he tell her not to bring her boyfriend?

Jonghyun stopped at the front gate and waved to her. She waved back before entering Yonghwa's car.

"Does he have to you wherever you go?" Yonghwa complained as Yoona buckled her seatbelt.

"Don't be jealous" Yoona stuck out her tongue playfully.

"HEOL!" Yonghwa made a sound of disbelief before stepping on the accelerator.

 


 

 

Yoona and Yonghwa sat opposite each other. They ate their noodles in silence but Yoona kept staring curiously at Yonghwa. Finally unable to stand the curiousity, Yoona asked,

"So why did you ask me to eat lunch with you today?".

Yonghwa shrugged, "A brother can't invite his high school sister to lunch?".

Yoona gave him a 'don't joke' look and said, "You haven't asked me out for lunch in three years".

Yonghwa gave her a grimace and said, "Nothing. There's no motives, no questions. This is just a normal lunch".

"Alright whatever" Yoona gave up asking and continue eating.

Yonghwa chewed on his noodles slowly, wondering whether he should ask. When he left his office, he had full confidence in asking but now that his sister was in front of him, he didn't know how to shape his words.

"Actually" Yonghwa started slowly, "There's something I wanted to ask".

Yoona actually clapped her hands together in triumph and cheered, "See? I am right !".

Yonghwa glared at her.

"Sorry, alright, what is it?" Yoona gave him a small smile.

Yonghwa took in a deep breath. He was going to ask today whether his head told him yes or no.

"When you fell in love with Seo Jong Hyun, how did it feel?" Yonghwa asked.

Yoona turned red and blushed furiously, spluttering, "How can you ask such a question?".

Yonghwa sighed and changed his question, "I will asked differently, how do you know that you fell in love with Seo Jong Hyun?".

Yoona thought for a moment before gasping loudly, "OPPA ! YOU FELL IN LOVE?!".

"NO" Yonghwa snapped loudly. "I am just asking for a friend".

Yoona narrowed her eyes suspciously, "Which friend?".

Yonghwa rambled on, "A friend's friend's friend's friend's friend's friend".

"You are the worst lier ever" Yoona chuckled.

"Are you going to answer my question or continue sneering at me?" Yonghwa asked irritatedly.

"Okay, calm down" Yoona said, "How I knew I fell in love with Jonghyun oppa?...".

Yoona thought and a gentle smile appeared on her face, "I guess I knew when my heart beats faster and faster like a racing car when ever I saw him. When my face went red whenever he spoke to me".

Yonghwa tensed when he realized he felt the same thing with Seohyun, especially with the heart racing part. Whenever he saw Seo Ju Hyun, he couldn't stop his traitor heart from betraying him by throbbing harder than ever against his chest.

Yonghwa pressed on, wanting to reconfirm his feelings, "How did you feel when you were in love?".

Yoona cocked her head to one side and a grin spreaded through her face, "When I fell in love with Jonghyun oppa..".

Jonghyun's face formed in her mind, taking over everything else. Yoona smiled and spoke in a trance, "I wanted to see him everyday, listen to his voice every second, see his smile every moment. When he is in front of me, I feel like I can't see anything else. When he was gone, I missed his presence so much. I want to be with him every moment, and every second. That was when I knew I loved Jonghyun oppa".

Yonghwa sat stunned at his chair.

 

 

Yoona just spoke out exactly how Yonghwa felt whenever he saw Seo Ju Hyun.

 

 

He wanted to see her no matter what day or time, no matter how much she hated the sight of him.

He wanted to hear her voice even if he knew the rate of them ending up fighting was higher than 90%.

He wanted to see her smile because he felt it was the most beautiful thing ever, despite everything else.

When she was in front of him, he can't even see what Jonghyun and Yoona are doing at his side.

When she went to work early in the morning or when he was stuck at the office, he missed her.

He wanted her to be near him all the time, and even if it meant just sitting at the café for hours just watching her work, his heart felt content.

 

 

 

He really fell in love with Seo Ju Hyun.

 

 

 

 

Yoona waved her hand infront of Yonghwa's face, calling out, "Oppa? Oppa?". Yonghwa zoned out, his face blank as he comtemplated with himself.

Yonghwa jumped in surprise when Yoona shook his shoulder. She was staring at him intently and asked, "Are you okay?".

Was he okay? He didn't know whether he was okay. He knew he was in love with Seo Ju Hyun but he didn't know whether he dared to even confess to her let alone pursuit this romance.

Should he tell her exactly how he felt?

"Yoona!" Yonghwa said loudly, surprising his sister.

"What's wrong?" Yoona asked, confused from her brother's weird actions.

Yonghwa thought carefully and said, "I have this friend that likes this girl but he comes from a rich family naturally and the girl doesn't so he doesn't know whether or not he should go after the girl or just forget about the love. What advice would you give him?".

Yoona frowned and snapped, "That's terrible of the man to even think of giving up the love!".

 Yonghwa opened his mouth to argue, "but the man is a very important person and he isn't sure whether the people around him would agree to the relationship".

Yoona shook her head disapprovingly, "That doesn't matter. What matters is whether your friend truly loves the girl. If he does, he will be prepared to face every single challenge that will come to his way as long as the girl is by his side. What type of coward of a man would runaway from love?".

Yonghwa tried to argue again, "but what if the girl rejects the man even if he tries to confess to her?".

"Then at least the man can feel at rest knowing he has tried and failed rather than just failing without even attempting. If your friend really loves the girl, he wouldn't let anything stop him", Yoona said.

 

Yonghwa simply nod and said seriously, "I will tell him".

 

He had decided at that moment.

 

 

He was Jung Yonghwa, the president of KOUTE who could have any girl he wanted.

 

 

He fell in love with Seo Ju Hyun.

and he was going to tell her exactly how he felt.

 

 

He wasn't going to runaway from his feelings anymore.

 

 


 

 

That evening, Yonghwa went to Seohyun's café as usual. The moment he stepped into the café, he was greeted face to face by a rather eager Tiffany.

"Welcomeeee!" Tiffany greeted loudly, her signature eye smile appeared.

Yonghwa bowed back slightly and replied, "Thank you".

He peered around her head at the counter at the back of the café. His eyes were searching for Seohyun but she was nowhere to be seen. He redirected his eyes back to Tiffany and was met with two wide, curious eyes.

Yonghwa fidgeted uncomfortably at her stare and asked, "Is there .. something wrong?".

Tiffany shaked her head enthusiastically and replied, "You are looking for Seohyun, aren't you?!".

Yonghwa didn't deny, after all he already decided to bravely admit his love towards her. What's the use of hiding anymore?

"Well, yes. Where is she?" Yonghwa admitted unashamedly.

"At the back!" Fany bounced excitedly. "Have a seat!".

Yonghwa allowed himself to be lead by Tiffany to a table at the window of the cafe and sat down. Tiffany still looked excitedly at him, as if she was looking at a new fluffy Christmas toy. Yonghwa looked behind him slowly, out of the window. There was no one there.

She was staring excitedly at him.

Yonghwa took a rather large gulp and asked awkwardly, "Umm Miss?".

"Yes?" Tiffany answered rather breathlessly.

"Is there anything wrong? You're staring?" Yonghwa suggested.

Tiffany however didn't look the slightness bit embarrassed and said loudly, "You like Seohyun right ?! RIGHT ?".

Yonghwa's mouth fell open as he spluttered, "How did you --?".

Tiffany's clapped her hands together in excitement and giggled, "Our Seohyun finally has a boyfriend !" Tiffany squealed loudly in English, "OH MY GODDDDDDD I AM SO EXCITED !".

"You know English?" Yonghwa asked weakly in English.

Tiffany answered back in English, her enthusiasms didn't decrease at all, "I am an American born Korean, ANYWAYS HOW LONG DID YOU LIKE SEOHYUN ALREADY ? SINCE THE FIRST TIME YOU CAME OR JUST RECENTLY ?".

Everyone around them stare at them mainly because of Tiffany's loud voice. Yonghwa opened his mouth to answer when Seohyun appeared behind Tiffany, looking oblivious.

"You are here? What are you two talking about?" Seohyun asked curiously, greeting Yonghwa with a nod.

Yonghwa took the opportunity when Seohyun turned to look at Tiffany. He lifted a finger to his lips and gestured her to keep silent about him liking her and quickly put it down before Seohyun looked back at him. Fany winked at him when Seohyun wasn't looking and put on an innocent face.

"He said he liked our cafe's coffee!" Fany lied excitedly. "I will go get you one cup immediately!".

Fany disappeared, giggling all the way. Seohyun stared at her disappearing back and turned to look at Yonghwa suspiciously, "What did you tell her?".

"The coffee at your café is delicious" Yonghwa said innocently.

"Really?" Seohyun asked.

"When does your shift end today?" Yonghwa suggested.

"8 o'clock, why?" Seohyun answered.

"Just wanted to know when the café is closing" Yonghwa said casually.

Tiffany appeared again, still looking excited, carrying one cup of coffee.

"One cup of Mocha cafe's special coffee" Tiffany announced happily.

"Thank you" Yonghwa smiled at her.

Unexpectedly, she winked at him and pushed Seohyun to sit on the chair opposite of Yonghwa.

"Fany!" Seohyun exclaimed as she dropped on the chair ungracefully.

"Talk to our customer, it's good to be friendly!" Fany said and left, positively skipping back to the counter.

Seohyun looked extremely confused and stared at Fany before looking back at Yonghwa, "Don't you feel like something is wrong with Tiffany today?".

Yonghwa looked innocent and sipped his coffee carefully, "Maybe".

 

Secretly inside, he thanked Tiffany to the bottom of his heart.

 

 


 

 

Yonghwa waited inside his car, tapping his steering rhythmically as he waited for Seohyun to come out of the café. He offered to drive her home of course, stating that it would be more fuel saving since they lived at the same place now. She agreed after a short argument but said he had to wait a while for her to clean up.

He watched as she bid Fany goodbye and came out of the café. He bend over to open the passenger door for her. She entered the car and smiled, "Thank you".

They drove home in somewhat silence with the company of the music from the radio. All that went through Yonghwa's mind was how he was going to confess to her. Seohyun looked out of the window, occasionally commenting about other cars and the scenery.

 


 

 

They reached home and Yonghwa parked his car at the garage.

 

He decided, he was going to confess to Seohyun at that moment.

He couldn't wait any longer without going crazy.

He couldn't concentrate on work, he couldn't concentrate on anything except Seo Ju Hyun and he doesn't know how long he could go on like this.

He was going to tell her.

 

Seohyun pulled the car door open and was about to step out of the car when Yonghwa pulled her arm to a halt. She turned back to look at him in surprise.

Yonghwa put on a determined yet sincere look and started to say,

"Seohyun-shii, I need to tell you something and I need you to listen very carefully".

Seohyun looked surprised but all the same, closed back the car door and turned to look at Yonghwa,
What is it?".

 

Yonghwa took a deep breath.

 

It was now or never.

 

"Seo Ju Hyun, I--".

 

 

 


 

AUTHOR'S NOTE !

Please don't hit me .

 

 

ANYEONG ! 

I know it's been a while since I updated but as everyone knows, IT'S DECEMBER !

Which means it's a holiday month and I will be going on more frequent holidays so I won't be able to update as frequently as usual but I will try my best ! 

HWAITING !

and mean old me decided to leave my readers with a cliffhanger.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA sorry please don't hit me.

Until next time !

THANK YOU FOR READING AND COMMENTING !

-JungHae