Can't Fight This Feeling

Against All Odds


Seohyun sighed as she walked along the path to Tiffany's cafe. She was still trying to figure out what had happened yesterday.

Yonghwa liked.. her?

The only reason she could think of to explain this was , Jung Yonghwa was secretly crazy.

She told him about her past, her level of education and he even saw how low her financial level was.

Why would a president like him ever like her?

He was definitely crazy, no doubt.

Yonghwa had to leave early for work this morning so she couldn't even confront him about yesterday. She tried yesterday but it didn't really work out very well.
Last night,  she remembered going to Yonghwa's room and snarling through the door, "Jung Yong Hwa, you better not be pretending to be asleep so I can't come in to kill you".
There was no response even when Seohyun knocked more than 20 times. She wanted to yell and start kicking the door down but the kids were asleep and she didn't want the whole world to know she got forced into a relationship with the president of KOUTE.
"Just you wait" Seohyun warned him and stalked off to her room.
Little did she know, Yonghwa was lying comfortably on his bed and smiling to himself while listening to her grumbling.

 


 

Seohyun entered the cafe and announced her presence, "Fany-ah, I'm here!".

There was a loud squeal from the counter and something hard slammed itself onto Seohyun.
"SEOHYUNNN" Fany flung herself onto Seohyun, positively suffocating her.
Seohyun gasped for breath and said, "What's up?".
Fany finally let her go, her eyes were sparkling with excitement as she announced, "We are having a party!".
"Party?".
"Yess, isn't it a great idea? We can invite all our regular customers for a invited only party! It will be a blast!" Tiffany squealed.
Seohyun considered for a moment, "Sure it's a great idea but we have to order catering for food then since we can't expect them to just eat cakes and coffee".
Tiffany clapped her hands together and said, "It's all ready, the catering service should be here in half an hour. We just have to decorate a bit and prepare the coffee. I already invited all our regular customers to come join the party!".
"It's all ready? Wow Fany, you are really good" Seohyun said in surprise.
Fany fidgeted and grinned sheepishly, "Actually, it was Jung Yonghwa-shii who gave me the idea and helped me to organise".
 

 1...

 

 

 

 


 2....

 

 

 

 

 

 3....

 

 

 

 


 "WHAT?!".
Fany started explaining the story, "He came this morning and I was serving him since you weren't here. He suggested I organise a party to boost our business. He even offered to sponsor the catering ! Of course I will say yes! This will be a great advantage for the cafe and the expense is sponsored!".
Seohyun scowled and muttered to herself under her breath, "Early work my , he was planning behind my back".
"What?".
"Nothing um, that's great, really nice of Jung Yonghwa-shii" Seohyun smiled awkwardly, trying to convince herself to not start screaming about what a jerk that man really was.
"I know right, alright Seohyun. No more slacking, we have a party in less than two hours!" Fany clapped her hands together.

"Let the coffee begin!".
 

 


 


Seohyun was always impressed by the efficiency of her colleagues. For one, Tiffany, Sunny and the others managed to turn the cafe into a disco in 20 minutes flat. She wasn't much of an expert in decorating so instead, she volunteered to prepare the coffee and cakes. That was something she was good at.
At the half an hour mark, the caterer came and began setting up the banquet while Tiffany supervised them.


Everything was getting into place. Seohyun was surprised when a group of people holding musical instruments came into their cafe. Tiffany however welcomed them warmly and pointed them to the stage that the cafe normally placed decorations.  For example, if it was Christmas, the stage will be occupied by an enormous Christmas tree. 
Seohyun approached Tiffany and asked, "Um Fany, who are they?".
"Oh did I forget to mention? I hired them for entertainment purposes! You can't expect the guest to drink coffee the entire night" Fany said excited. "Come on, help me arrange these tables and chairs to the side".
Fany began pushing a table to one corner. Seohyun helped her anyways, asking, "Why are we moving the tables again?".
Fany looked at her as if the explanation couldn't be anymore obvious and said, "For the dance floor of course!".
Fany turned to pull the chairs aside while Seohyun muttered to herself, "Dance floor?".

 


 

At exactly 8:00 o'clock, customers have started to arrive and fill in the empty seats. Everytime the bell at the door rung to signal an incoming customer, all of them would pop their heads up and say, "Welcome!". 
Seohyun was incharge of serving drinks. She arranged all the drinks on one tray and served them around the tables, watching the guests dance and jump around the dance floor.
"Er, Fany. How many guests did you invite exactly?" Seohyun asked. The cafe was filling up at an alarming rate and at this point, she wasn't surprised if they started dancing at the kitchen as well.
Fany thought for a moment and said, "Seventy-three".
"SEVENTY THREE?!" Seohyun nearly dropped her tray of coffee cups in shock. "Are you crazy ? Our cafe is about to explode!".
"Oh don't worry, there's always outside" Fany suggested innocently.
Seohyun raised an eyebrow at her, "You want them to dance outside on the road?".
"Just the sidewalk" Fany replied obliviously. "Oh the customer is waving at me, gotta go!".
"YAH" Seohyun called sternly at Fany but she ignored her and disappeared among the sea of dancing humans.


That girl never thinks before she does something.


At the corner of her eye, she spotted Yonghwa just entering the cafe. He already saw her as well as he made his way towards her through the sandwich of humans. Seohyun however, was still quite mad at him for yesterday, simply turned away and stalked to the counter. She began preparing more drinks while Yonghwa came closer.
"Hey" Yonghwa greeted her.
She ignored him and continued pouring coffee into the empty cups.
"Come on, you can't still be mad at me right?" Yonghwa said in disbelief.
Seohyun slammed the jug back onto the counter and said rather harshly, "Yeah I'm still mad. This is me. I'm always this temperamental and bad-tempered so can you please tell me yesterday was a joke and you dislike me so much that you want to hit me?". Seohyun actually sounded exasperated at the end of the sentence.
Yonghwa however smirked and leaned in closer to her flushed face, "Actually, I knew you were bad tempered and temperamental since day one, you kicked me all the time remember? As for yesterday.." Seohyun actually look as though she was daring him to say what he thought. Yonghwa smirked even bigger and said, "I like you too much to hit you".


Seohyun stared at Yonghwa for two seconds and then slowly shook her head, "You're hopeless".


"Agreed so quit trying to get rid of me, it won't work" Yonghwa said. "By the way, what's with the amount of people here? I thought this was a party,  not a sardine can".
Seohyun sighed, "Fany has bad mathematics".
"Well, let's hope some of them start fainting so we can send them away with the ambulance before we are the ones being carried away with a stretcher" Yonghwa looked around hopefully.
"YAH!" Seohyun raised the jug threateningly and waved it at Yonghwa.
Yonghwa looked as though he was inspecting the jug and said, "Of course the jug is a faster way to send some of these people on the way to the hospital".
Seohyun took a deep breath of disbelief and said, "You're really hopeless".
She picked up the tray of coffee and marched off to the table of customers. Yonghwa followed after her, yelling playfully, "You are my medicine".

 


 

 
The party continued with Yonghwa tagging along with Seohyun, following her wherever she went. When he saw Tiffany, he raised his hand to highfive her.
"Hey!" Yonghwa smacked his palm against hers.
"Hey Yonghwa-shii,  what a crowd right?" Fany said excitedly.
"Yeah!".
Seohyun looked confused at the both of them, "Wait a second, since when were you two so close to each other?".
Tiffany and Yonghwa looked at each other and replied together,  "This morning".
"ARGHH" Seohyun moaned in frustration.  "My life is turning upside down".
Tiffany smiled reassuringly and tapped Seohyun's shoulder gently, "Don't worry Seohyunnie, we aren't in that sort of relationship.  He's all yours".
Seohyun retorted almost in reflex, "Of course you guys aren't in that sort of relationship.. wait WHAT?!" her jaw fell open.
"Anyways, oh there's another customer signalling me! Bye!" Fany quickly said and hurried off, disappearing once again between the crowd.


Seohyun turned around abruptly to glare at Yonghwa. Yonghwa winced at her deathly stare but managed to not look away.
"What?" he asked innocently.
Seohyun's eyes narrowed, "You know what. Did you tell everyone I know that we are dating?".
"I did no--" Yonghwa began to deny but Seohyun suddenly began to babble to herself, "Wait no we aren't in a relationship, you are in a relationship of your own imagination. Yeah that's it".
Yonghwa raised an eyebrow at her, "You do realise you are talking to yourself right?".
"It doesn't matter. The point is I am not your girlfriend and you better not tell everyone I am" Seohyun snapped. 
Yonghwa's face turned from confident to smirking. Seohyun became uneasy at his facial expression and began fidgetting.
"Seohyun-shii, how good are you in English?".
"English?" Seohyun cocked her head in confusion. "I don't know a word of English, you know my level of education.." Seohyun's voice trailed off towards the end.
Yonghwa however smirked even further and said, "What if ... I tell everyone that you are my girlfriend? No one will ever believe I am lying. I mean, I am the president of KOUTE. Why would I lie about being in a relationship with you?" Yonghwa suggested, evil was evidently spreading around his face. Yonghwa reached into his pocket and took out a piece of paper, folded into two and stasted it into Seohyun's hand.
Seohyun looked alarmed and flushed as she tried to warn him, "No you don't ! What is this? I swear Jung Yonghwa,  I'm going to kill-- YAH!".


Seohyun's warning turned futile as Yonghea dashed up the stage and began whispering to the ear of the main vocalist. Seohyun watched in horror as the main vocalist stopped singing and passed the microphone to Yonghwa. The crowd suddenly stopped dancing and all turned to concentrate on Yonghwa. Seohyun swore to herself that she would cellotape Yonghwa to the wall if he mentions one word of her.
"Hello everyone, I just wanted to take this opportunity to perform for someone special in this room" Yonghwa smiled. Seohyum had to admit, he was kind of dazzling in some way when he smiles. "You know who you are" Yonghwa grinned at Seohyun's direction. One metre away, a group of girls were squealing and giggling like mad, whispering Yonghwa's name.
Tiffany suddenly appeared from behind and said, "Look at them fangirling".
Seohyun rolled her eyes, "It's just a guy".
Tiffany turned to stare at Seohyun in disbelief, "Just a guy ? Seohyun, you may not think much of him but Yonghwa-shii is the president of KOUTE, the largest department store in South Korea. He's not JUST a guy".
Seohyun opened the paper that Yonghwa gave her and saw sentences that don't make much sense to her.
"Bo ya?" Seohyun murmured to herself.
"What is that?" Tiffany took a look at the paper and said, "oh, it's a song translation".
"Song translation?" Seohyun stared at the paper hard, trying to make some sense of the hangul.
"Yeah, this is the title of the song, "Can't Fight This Feeling" here" Tiffany pointed to the heading of the paper. "Who gave this to you?".
"Jung Yonghwa-shii".


Tiffany and Seohyun looked up to see Yonghwa whispering something to the other band members, earning nods and thumbs up from them. He cleared his throat and started singing,

I cant fight this feeling any longer
 And yet Im still afraid to let it flow
 What started out as friendship, has grown stronger
 I only wish I had the strength to let it show

 

"OH MY GOD. He is singing this song ! I knew it!".
"What is he singing?".
"Come on Seohyun, it's the most romantic song a boy could sing!".
"Sorry but my level of education is probably lower than everyone else in this cafe" 
"It's an English song talking about a guy who can't hold his feelings back anymore. He is going to confess to the girl he loves. And Yonghwa-shii gave you the translation of the song so you will understand what he is trying to convey to you through a song. OMG THIS IS SO ROMANTIC!" Tiffany squealed loudly, jumping on her toes in excitement. 


Seohyun however didn't share much of her excitement.  She glanced at the translation of the song before watching Yonghwa who was singing while staring directly at her,

 And even as I wander
 Im keeping you in sight
 Youre a candle in the window
 On a cold, dark winters night
 And Im getting closer than I ever thought I might

 And I cant fight this feeling anymore
 Ive forgotten what I started fighting for
 Its time to bring this ship into the shore
 And throw away the oars
 Baby, I cant fight this feeling anymore.

As soon as he ended what Seohyun assume was the first chorus, the girls started screaming and fighting to get closer to the stage. 
"Yah! Be careful!" Tiffany reprimanded a few girls that nearly knocked into Seohyun and her. "Seohyun, are you alright?".
Tiffany however was surprised to see Seohyun and Yonghwa staring at each other. It was as if the world only consist of them two and no one else.

 

Yonghwa began singing again,

 My life has been such a whirlwind since I saw you
 Ive been running round in circles in my mind
 And it always seems that Im following you, girl
 Cause you take me to the places that alone Id never find

 And even as I wander Im keeping you in sight
 Youre a candle in the window on a cold, dark winters night
 And Im getting closer than I ever thought I might

 And I cant fight this feeling anymore
 Ive forgotten what I started fighting for
 Its time to bring this ship into the shore
 And throw away the oars, forever

 Cause I cant fight this feeling anymore
 Ive forgotten what I started fighting for
 And if I have to crawl upon the floor
 Come crashing through your door
 Baby, I cant fight this feeling anymore.

The song ended and everyone clapped except Seohyun. She just stared at Yonghwa for a while until Tiffany nudged her, HARD.
"Seohyun!" Tiffany pushed her hard, causing her to nearly fall over.
Seohyun jolted awake and said rather crossly, "Yah!".
"You were spacing out and ignoring me for the last 4 minutes. Yonghwa-shii's song is over now, you can wake up now" Fany rolled her eyes at the end of the sentence.
"I was just thinking" Seohyun argued.
"About Yonghwa-shii?" Fany suggested innocently.
"What? No! Fany, don't make me--" Seohyun began threatening.
Fany quickly cut in by announcing, "Oh look Sunny needs help, catch up later!".
Seohyun sighed as Fany disappeared the following second. 


She wasn't going to tell anyone and definitely not Yonghwa but just now, when he sang the song for her.
Her heart felt strange, as if it was .. fluttering.

 


 

Seohyun was packing up the cups onto the tray when Yonghwa appeared behind her. He leaned close to her ears and whispered, "So what did you think of the song?".

Seohyun replied casually, "It was fine".

"Were you able to translate the song in time?" Yonghwa asked her.
Seohyun shook her head as she lifted the tray up and headed to the back kitchen, "No. My hangul isn't very good either and I can't read as fast as normal people do".
She entered the back kitchen, Yonghwa following her closely. The kitchen was much more quiet than the outside cafe with the noise being kept out by the door. 
Yonghwa looked slightly disappointed but he pressed on, "It was my confession song to you".
Seohyun's heart skipped a beat when she heard that. "Stop that", she warned her heart silently before saying in a matter of factly tone, "Can you not read the 'authorised personnel only' sign outside?".

She placed the tray of cups into the sink just before Yonghwa tugged her arm roughly so she was forced to face him.
"No, I can't because I'm in love with a psycho like you".
Seohyun retorted back angrily,  "I AM NOT A PSYCHO".
Yonghwa stared at Seohyun with disbelief, "I just told you I love you and all you heard was psycho".
Seohyun pulled an "so what" smirk and said, "Let go of my arm, I need to work".
Yonghwa's grip only tighten around her arm, "What if I say no?".
Seohyun raised her right foot to kick his left shin but he evaded swiftly. 
He raised an eyebrow to mock her, "I learn from experience".


Seohyun smiled back innocently.


"OUCH" Yonghwa yelled in pain.
Seohyun had swiftly kicked his right shin with her left foot, instantly wiping the triumph off Yonghwa's face.
Seohyun smirked, "I learn from instincts".
She easily released her arm from Yonghwa's grip and walked out of the kitchen.
"YOU CRAZY WOMAN, WAIT TILL I GET BACK AT YOU!" Yonghwa threatened her.
Seohyun turned and said, "oh and if you pull my arm again, your gut is next".
She swiftly walked out, banging the door behind her.


Yonghwa cursed under his breath as he massaged his sore shin. Damn that woman was violent. 
She was absolutely crazy.
Psycho.
But hell that was her biggest charm.
And that's why he stupidly fell in love with her.
Stupid heart.
"Wait up, psycho!" Yonghwa limped out of the door, after Seohyun.

 


 

Man, have I not been fired up in updating or what? 

I spot a lot of undercover lovey-doveyness in this chapter, do you ? *smirk* FLUFFY.

I just need to explain this though : for the "Can't Fight This Feeling" song, I used the lyrics from the Glee version instead of the original version because the Glee version was shorter. You are welcomed to listen to either version while you read this chapter though !

So I'm updating more frequently and I appreciate your support especially the comments you guys leave behind.

It motivates me to write faster so feel free to leave what you think in the comment box !

and if this chapter wasn't a "First Date" enough for you guys then prepare for the next chapter because Yongseo is going on their "First Date"!

 

THANKS FOR READING AND COMMENTING !

-JungHae