Secret Glances

Against All Odds

"SEO JONG HYUN !".

Jonghyun pretended to not hear the teacher calling him from the front of the classroom. He continued sleeping under the cover of his book.

"SEO JONG HYUN IF YOU DON'T WAKE UP THIS INSTANT I SHALL SEND YOU TO THE PRINCIPAL'S ROOM" the teacher threatened. 

Ah crap.

Jonghyun pretended to just wake up as he stirred and stretched his arms forward, "Seongsaeng-nim, are you yelling at me?" he asked innocently.

"Do you see anyone else sleeping in class?" the teacher demanded.

"Yeah".

"Who?'.

"Me".

"SEO JONG HYUN, PRINCIPAL'S ROOM, NOW".

"Ah seongsaeng-nim, maybe we could talk this over, actually I can stay awake if --".

"PRINCIPAL'S ROOM, DO NOT MAKE ME REPEAT AGAIN" the teacher said dangerously.

Jonghyun sighed as he swung his bag around his shoulder and carried his guitar out of the classroom.

His sister was going to kill him.

 


 

*BAM*

The principal's hand slam on the table loudly, causing Jonghyun to turn back his attention to him.

"SEO JONG HYUN, are you even listening to me?".

"Ne.." Jonghyun said uninterestedly. He was just distracted by the windchime by the window when the wind blew. The sound was so pleasant to ears and beautiful, it made Jonghyun think of nature.

"This is the fourteenth time your teacher has sent you here with a note that you slept in class. Explanations?" the princinpal demanded.

"Ahh Mr. Ban, it's not because I'm trying to be a bad student. It's because her voice is really too squeaky. I can't understand anything she teaches so I fell asleep. It's not really completely my fault" Jonghyun defended himself.

"You are still not admitting to your mistake after so long?" the principal glared.

"It's not that I'm not admitting my mistake. I admit I'm wrong but if I'm wrong then the teacher is wrong too for being unable to keep me awake" Jonghyun reasoned.

"SEO JONG HYUN. That's it, I'm calling your parents. This is the last straw for me. FOURTEENTH TIMES IN MY ROOM IN THREE WEEKS!" Mr. Ban said as he whipped of his phone.

"Ahrasso, Mr. Ban" Jonghyun bowed respectfully. "but if you ever manage to contact my parents, please call me" Jonghyun smirked.

"SEO JONG HYUN, wait outside of my room. AND if you try to run away, I'll make you regret it in front of your friends. OUT" Mr. Ban yelled.

I plugged my ears with my fingers, "Gee Mr, you don't have to yell".

"OUT!!".

Jonghyun stuck his hands into his pockets and walked out casually of the office. enjoying reminiscing the flustered face of Mr. Ban. He dropped to the row of chairs outside of the office and watched as other students passed by. Truthfully? He never meant to make anyone mad. It was his mind controlling itself and constantly getting him in trouble. He thought that was unfair too. How can he be punished for something he can't control?

 

Suddenly, from a distance Jonghyun saw her.

The girl he was watching ever since the start of the year.

Jung Yoona.

She was beautiful. So beautiful in Jonghyun's eyes he felt it was unfair that such a beautiful girl can exist and he can't find a suitable time to approach her. She was constantly with her close friend, Yuri wherever she went so it was hard for Jonghyun to even drop in a flirt or two. 

Jonghyun watched as she passed by. Her hair was bouncing softly behind her as she smiled sweetly at Yuri. She laughed, her signature alligator laugh that caught Jonghyun's attention since Day 1 appeared when her friend cracked a joke. Her beautiful face seemed to immediately lighten up the entire corridor. As she passed by, Jonghyun could smell a scent of... roses? He was going crazy.

He watched as she turned at the next corner to another hallway.

Jung Yoona, if only you knew how you make me go crazy.

Jonghyun smiled slightly as he pulled out his earphones and MP4. He placed the ear buds to his ears and closed his eyes, leaning back to the chair to relax.

If he was going to face hell soon, might as well enjoy the glance of a goddess first.

 


 

Yoona was waiting at the hallway for Yuri to walk together to their Chemistry class when suddenly she heard whispers from two severely-annoying-giggling-girls, "Yah, did you hear? Jonghyun oppa fell asleep in Miss Bae's class again and got sent to the principal's room".

"That's so cute!!" was the reply from all the other girls.

Yoona shaked her head in dismay. They thought sleeping in class and being called to the principal's room is cute?

Seriously? These girls needed to get their heads in the correct place.

but still, Seo Jong Hyun is one of the most popular guys in school and not to mention, his looks. It was no surprise that the girls go mad over him. He had a lovely face, suited with slightly pale white skin that made him look innocent and somewhat beautiful?

but his other reputation is known as "troublemaker". Being called to the principal's room and sent out of class was a common thing for him.

and her, a nerd was what people refer to her as. and also "Miss Goody Two Shoes".

well, couldn't careless.

Just then. Yuri came out of the classroom, clutching her books carefully.

"Sorry I'm late, Yoona-ah. Minho thought it was funny to put my shoe at the top of the cupboard so I can't reach it" Yuri pulled a face.

Minho was Yuri's boyfriend. He was already in the last year of high school. They dated a few months after they first met when Yuri and her were freshmen at the highschool. Apparently according to Yuri, it was love at first sight and they were soon madly in love that it gave her severe goosebumps.

"How did he get your shoe in the first place?" Yoona asked curiously.

"That's what I was wondering all along! One minute my shoe was at my foot and the next, it was with him!" Yuri said thoughtfully.

"Geez Yuri, you're so clueless" Yoona chuckled.

Yoona walked with Yuri to Chemistry class. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see Seo Jong Hyun was indeed seated outside of the principal's office. When can he stop getting into trouble?

Yoona quickly looked away and smiled at Yuri when he suddenly looked her way.

"It was a perfect date!" Yuri ended a long story about her recent date with Minho at the beach.

"That's great" Yoona nod encouragingly, praying with all her might that Jonghyun didn't realise she was staring at him.

"Yeah!" Yuri said excitedly. Suddenly she leaned forward and said softly, "Yah Yoona, did you realise that Seo Jong Hyun is always staring at you?".

"No way" Yoona shaked her head. "He's one of the popular kids, remember? He wouldn't look at me. He will be looking at those girls with mini skirts" Yoona tried to casually pass off Yuri's question.

"Maybe.." Yuri said seriously. "he really likes you".

This time, I couldn't control myself and accidently laughed really loudly.

"What?! I'm serious!" Yuri looked slightly offended.

"Mianhae-- but that's--ridiculous--!" Yoona tried to speak while laughing.

"Har Har" Yuri glared. "Don't believe me? Look, he's still staring!".

"Yah! Quit staring at him!" Yoona pushed Yuri forward and they safely turned into a corner.

Yoona sighed. Sure, she wasn't stupid, she noticed that no matter where she was, Seo Jong Hyun was always staring at her even though there were much prettier girls around.

but it was impossible that the Seo Jong Hyun will ever like a nerd like her.

Yoona shaked off the thought and entered her class.

 


 

Jonghyun was listening to "Tear Stains" by Yoon Sang Hyun when suddenly he felt someone roughly tugged his earphones out of his ears. He opened his eyes and was met by a very, very, VERY angry-looking Seo Ju Hyun.

"Noonaaaaaaaaa~!" Jonghyun greeted her sweetly, filling his voice with every single aegyo he could muster.

Seohyun's eyes narrowed viciously, "Don't. You. Noona. Me. Come with me".

Jonghyun followed Seohyun into the principal's room again. Seohyun immediately bowed to Mr. Ban, greeting him politely while I tried to look concerned.

"Anyeonghasaeyo, I'm Seo Ju Hyun, Jonghyun's sister. Is he causing any trouble, Mr. Ban?" Seohyun asked, looking apologetic.

Jonghyun found that sincerely unfair since it wasn't like he fought with someone or caused disturbance. All he did was fall asleep in class a couple of times. Okay, maybe more than a couple of times but still.. UNFAIR.

"Please sit, Miss Seo" Mr. Ban gestured to the chairs in front of the table. "and you too, Jonghyun" he told me.

I sank down on the chair as Mr. Ban started talking, "Miss Seo, thank you straight away after our class. I'm sorry to have to called you in such a hurry without notice but I have been received multiples complains that your dongsaeng has been sleeping in class".

Seohyun's eyes narrowed dangerously for the second time at Jonghyun which eeriely meant, 'just wait till we get home'.

"I understand Mr. Lee. I'm sorry for all the troubles Jonghyun has caused you. I'll reprimand him well at home" Seohyun nod.

"I just need to understand the situation a little. Perhaps there are some reasons that Jonghyun can't stay awake in class? Maybe too many distractions or spending too little time on sleep?" Mr. Ban inquired.

Jonghyun cocked his head at what he said. What was he trying to imply on?

"He doesn't have much activities after school and also I made sure he does not go for any type of part-time jobs so I can't think of.." Seohyun was deep in thoughts.

"Perhaps I'm wrong but doesn't Jonghyun play the guitar? Could it be that--" Mr Ban started.

"NO" Jonghyun immediately cut in. Like hell he was going to let this dude try to convince his sister that the guitar was making him fall asleep in class. 

"Jonghyun, please remain silent. I'm talking to your sister here" Mr. Ban said.

"No, Mr. Ban. The guitar is NOT disrupting my studies. I told you, Miss Bae's voice is too squeaky. I CAN'T UNDERSTAND" Jonghyun emphazised on the important words.

"Keep quiet" Seohyun ordered Jonghyun, effectively shutting him up before she turned back to Mr. Ban. "I'm so sorry for my dongsaeng's rudeness, Mr. Ban. I believe he needs to learn how to concentrate more in class but I don't think the guitar factor is the problem".

Jonghyun immediately relaxed and leaned back to his chair. Even if his noona was angry at him, he knew that she knew how important the guitar was to him. She wouldn't take that away from him.

"Very well, Miss Seo. Thank you for coming to discuss about Jonghyun today. Have a nice day" Mr. Ban got up and held out his hand to Seohyun.

"Kamsahamnida" Seohyun shook his hand and bowed before leaving. 

Jonghyun grabbed his bag, guitar and ran after her. She stomped away, absolutely ignoring him as she paced down the hallway. Ouch.

"Noonaaaaaa, wait for meeeeee" Jonghyun said with aegyo.

Seohyun ignored him and walked down the steps, hailing an incoming taxi. 

"Noonaaaaaaa" I called after her but she ignored me and got in the taxi. 

Holy .

Jonghyun ran full speed at the car door and managed to slip into the passenger seat before Seohyun could tell the driver to slam on the locks.

"Noonaaa, don't be mad.." Jonghyun attempted the cute method.

Seohyun glared at him, "Get. Out. KA!  Go and sleep your life away at the park!".

"Noonaaa miahaeeee" Jonghyun begged.

"Don't lie. You aren't".

Jonghyun sighed, "Alright I'm not, but I really can't understand what the teacher was mumbling about. so I fell asleep".

"What do you mean you don't understand? You're born a Korean!" Seohyun said sternly.

"Jeongmal, noona! She sounds like a duck!" Jonghyun tried to convince her.

"I. Don't. Give. A. Damn" Seohyun pronounced each sylabble properly loud and clear.

There was an eerie silence as noona was probably debating with herself whether or not she was going to throw me out.

...

...

...

"Yah, are you two riding the cab or not?" the taxi driver asked, irritated.

...

Finally noona took a deep breath and said seriously, "Listen well, Seo Jong Hyun. If I ever- Ever- EVER get called to your school again, I'm going to throw you out of the house. DO YOU HEAR ME?" she snarled.

"Ne, noona" Jonghyun nod with an innocent face.

"Mianhaeyo ahjussi" Seohyun took to the taxi driver. "Here's the address" Seohyun recited the address to the taxi driver as I let out a sigh of relief.

and although noona tried hard to look serious and angry,

I knew I was already forgiven.

 


 

Anyeong !!

It's author-nim here.

Here's a longer chapter to show the cute sibling relationship that the Seo siblings shares and you can see that Jonghyun and Yoona has a "thing"' going on. MUAHAHAHAHA.

*even if Jonghyun is a real troublmaker sometimes*

Romance will start soon so stay tuned !

COMMENTS ARE VERY WELCOMED !

Thank you for reading ~

-Junghae