Chapter 2

Caged Birds

Reichi’s POV

 

Step one: Get the hag’s attention. I put my headphones on and walked over to the counter and grabbed a glass of juice. I walked past her and “accidentally” spilled the juice on her shirt. “Oops.” I said innocently. Aria’s eyes spelled kill, but she just pushed past me to her temporary room. I quickly located her bag and began rummaging through it. I found her phone and scanned through. I found out that she was cheating, with 3 other guys. I whistled to myself. I heard Aria coming down the stairs so I sent all the messages and photos to my phone. I replaced the bag so it looked like nothing had been touched. Aria looked at me suspiciously. “What have you been up to?” I put a bored expression on my face. “Does it look like I could accomplish anything in 5 minutes?” Aria huffed. “I am watching you girl.” She stalked away, leaving me alone again. Perfect. I told Donghyun-niisan to come back early today. All that’s left to do is piss off the hag enough that she will confess.

15 minutes later, I heard a scream from the washroom, meaning that my spider trick worked. I ran in to the washroom, laughing. “You did this?!?” she screamed. She looked furious and scared, which made me laugh even harder. “I thought you could take a joke.” “Well it’s not funny!” She fumed. She walked into the kitchen. I stayed in the doorway. 3, 2, 1… “REICHI!!!!” Bingo. I found Aria in the kitchen holding a plate of half eaten dinner. “Did you want that?” I asked. The hag’s face still had kill written all over it. “That was for your brother.” I tilted my head to the side. “He said I could have it though…” I kept up the innocent thing, because it seemed to be making her mad. “Stop trying to ruin my life!” She took a deep breath, “I know you don’t like me, but since your brother and I are a couple, I just have to be friends don’t we?” She smiled, but her eyes told a different story. “You wish. I know all of your dirty secrets.” I took out my phone and read aloud, “I love you, and nobody else – Kibum” “Aww… I wuv you too! – Aria” The next message said, “Let’s stay together forever, okay? – Lee” “ Yes, I don’t want to be with anyone else.” I smirked at her. “Who are these guys? I thought you and my brother were a couple.” I saw steam blowing out of her ears. “Those are just friends! I wouldn’t cheat.” I laughed. “Oh really?” I found the pictures and held them out for her to see. There were pictures of her being kissed and kissing other guys. At that moment, the hag snapped. “Okay fine! I am cheating on Donghyun, but that doesn’t matter, I have those other guys anyway. I just used him to get money. And you, you bratty little kid, don’t think you have outsmarted me. Your precious big brother doesn’t know about this so this isn’t the end of me!” “It is, in fact,” someone said from the doorway. I saw Donghyun with a hurt expression directed towards Aria. “Why?” He whispered. Aria’s eyes widened. “This is all a misunderstanding. We were playing a game, weren’t we, Reichi?” She looked at me with a strange expression. It scared me, but I continued on with my plan. “Sorry, but it’s the truth. I have all the evidence on my phone. I even recorded what you just said on a hidden camera.” I gave my phone to Donghyun, and he stared at it blankly. “Leave, Aria, and don’t come back.” He said coldly. Aria bit her lip and rushed out the door, slamming it behind her. Donghyun sighed. He flopped himself onto the couch and ran his hand through his flaming red hair. “I should have listened to you in the first place.” I sat down next to him. “I hate to tell you… actually, no. I told you so.” I stuck out my tongue. He laughed tiredly, and ruffled my hair. “How’d you manage to get the information?” I grinned. “I have my ways.” I patted him on the head. “Get well soon, Nii-san, and listen to me next time you choose a girlfriend.” The night ended with laughter, and for once, I felt safe.

 

“I’m off!” I yell, heading out the door with a black backpack slung over my shoulder. I jump from the top of the stairs to the bottom and run towards the Academy. “Oi! Kuro!!” I see Jeongmin and Hyunseong waving to me. I wave back and continue running. I felt like someone was watching me so I looked back, causing me to bump into some dude. “Ow, sorry.” I mumble. I looked up and saw a really tall guy looming over me. I took a step back; the serious expression on the boy’s face was sending a strange vibe. “Ah, Kuro?” Taemin’s head popped out from behind the boy. “Sorry about that. This is my boyfriend, Choi Minho.”  Minho nodded and pushed his way past me. Taemin rushed after him. “Sorry, gotta go. See you in PE!” I continued my run, but slowed my pace as I neared the school. “Choi Minho…” I murmured. I filed his name and appearance away in my brain.

 

Youngmin’s POV

 

My hair kept blowing into my eyes because of the wind. I flicked it to the side, causing a squeal from a pod of girls. Anime sweat drop, much? I heard someone calling my name, so I turned around to see who it was. Reichi Kurogane, the most beautiful girl in the world. I have liked her since forever, but I’m too shy to tell her, especially since I see her having an interest in my twin. I grinned widely and laughed. “Why you in such a big rush today?” She looked at me confused. “I’m not rushing, I’m happy.” I laughed. “Alright if you say so.” I walked on ahead, hearing Kuro and Kwangmin speaking in the background. A pang of guilt slashed through my heart because I was happy for my brother, but jealous as well. I couldn’t believe how fast the two became friends; Kwangmin never opened up this much to anyone. “Come on, guys! Let’s race to class!” Kuro shouted. She bolted past me, black hair flying behind her. Kwangmin ran after her, smiling slightly. I smiled. “Kuro-chan!” I yelled before running after them.

 

We ran into the classroom panting heavily. “Looks like it’s a tie between Kwangmin and Kuro.” Minwoo announced, out of breath. “Aish, why’d you make us do that? I’m so tired now!!” He wiped away his sweat, which was dripping from his hair. He flopped into his chair. “Oh well, exercise is good. How do you manage to sweat so much?” I laughed. Kuro and Kwangmin, who were already in their seats, observed us. “Sorry. I was in such a good mood!” Kuro chirped. “Also, I’m going to beat you next time!” She said and lightly punched Kwangmin in the shoulder. “We’ll see.” He smirked. I took a drink from my water bottle. “Kids, its time to learn English!” The teacher laughed. “Whoop-de-doo.” We all said sarcastically.

 

During lunch, I walked to the roof to eat because there usually wasn’t anyone there except Kuro and I. It was windy today, as it was nearing Christmas. “Hey.” I greeted Kuro as I sat down beside her. “Sup.” She didn’t look up and her hair was in her face. I pushed her soft, black hair behind her ear. “Don’t eat your hair stupid.” She pouted. It was too cute. “Who you calling stupid?” She put a carrot chunk on her spoon and flung it at me. I caught it with my mouth and smiled. “I was thinking of holding a Christmas Party, what do you think?” twitched. “That sounds like fun.” I laughed. I was planning something special after the party though. “Okay, so here’s what I was thinking of doing…”

 

~Christmas Party~ (Youngmin’s POV)

 

The guests arrived in colourful outfits, and there was a merry atmosphere. Everyone was chatting happily and drinking low alcohol drinks. Kuro invited some of her friends, which was not many. I saw Taemin somewhere in the crowd, with Minho at her side. I was poked in the arm and I turned around to see Kuro. “It seems this is going well.” I nodded. “Yeah. I’m so glad there’s no trouble. Let’s go dance!” I took Kuro’s hand. Kuro stiffened. “Sorry, you don’t want to dance?” I asked her. She wasn’t even looking at me. I tried to follow her line of sight, but with this many people, it was hard to tell.

 

A high pitched scream pierced through the air.