Chapter 8

Caged Birds

Hello!! I just want to thank you all for subscribing and commenting!!! I read all your comments, so please leave one if you can :D

 

 

Youngmin’s POV

 

 

Anger surged through my veins, making me clench my fist. “You what?” I mumbled in disbelief. I wanted to be her first kiss, her first love, her first boyfriend and do whatever couples did. I was feeling bad enough from rejection, yet Kwangmin had to cut the wound deeper by KISSING her. I gritted my teeth and lashed out at Kwangmin with my fist. A satisfying thwack rang loudly as my knuckles collided with his jaw. He staggered backward, holding his face in pain. I kicked him in the shin, causing him to fall to his knees. “Now you see how I feel?” My voice sounded strangled, and some, small, remaining part of me that was still sane told me to stop. I didn’t listen. Kwangmin kneeled there, face down in submission. I kicked him again. “Get up and fight like a man. I’m not just going to hand Kuro over.” I growled. I was scaring myself with my own actions, yet my bottled up pain was spilling over. Kwangmin stood up, wobbling slightly. “If it’s a fight you want, then it’s a fight I’ll give you.”

 

Soon enough, it was a full out fight; the whole room was a big mess. Tears sprang up in my eyes, not from the physical pain, but the emotional distress my heart was in. I felt like I wasn’t in my body, but watching the scene unfold, not being able to stop it.  I had turned into an animal just because of Kuro. The me inside laughed tearfully. I wish things could’ve been different.

 

 

?????? POV

 

 

They were loud. Loud enough that it hurt to listen to them. I wish they didn’t fight like this. I’ve moved on. They haven’t. Why can’t they? It hurts me to see them like this. They are brothers, twins, and heck, they were born from the same cell. I covered my ears in a desperate attempt to block out the sounds of fighting coming from Youngmin’s room. I wanted to burst into his room and get them to stop fighting. I wanted to hug them and tell them that everything was going to be alright. If only they’d stop fighting. If only they’d realize that there’s no point in doing such. If only…

 

Suddenly, I heard buzzing from Kwangmin’s cell. Why’d he leave it here? No matter. I picked up the phone. It was Reichi unni. Maybe she would have an answer to all this.

 

“Hello? Kwangmin?”

 

“This isn’t Kwangmin.”

 

“Oh, can you give the phone to Kwangmin?”

 

“… He’s… busy. I need to ask you something.”

 

“Who are you? Oh wait you’re…”

 

“Yes. Why are my brothers fighting?”

“THEY’RE FIGHTING AGAIN?!?!? Sheesh I can’t leave them alone for one second, they always want to kill each other…”

 

I smiled at her response. She seemed like a good match for both of my brothers. I can’t tell who will get her in the end.

 

“Yes. That’s true. You still haven’t answered my question.”

 

“… Youngmin confessed to me, and I rejected…”

 

I listened to her story intently, trying to figure out a way to solve this mess. I can understand why Youngmin would burst into flames. He’s been keeping his feelings bottled up for the sake of the family, but every once in a while, something like this would happen. I dealt with the pain in my own ways. Its hard to tell we’re brothers if we didn’t look almost exactly the same as each other.

 

By the time Reichi unni had finished telling her story, the fighting noises had ceased. I understood the situation much better now.

 

“Thank you unni. I understand. I’m not sure how we will be able to solve this problem though.”

 

“Me neither, it seems impossible.”

 

“Unni, are you still going to be friends with my brothers?”

 

“Huh? Of course, why do you ask?”

 

“I need you to sedate those two idiots’ alter egos. And make sure they don’t wake up anytime soon.”

 

*Laughs* “Okay. I’ll see them tomorrow at school anyway.”

 

“Thank you, unni.”

 

I hung up and closed the phone. The only person that could possibly keep them in check was Reichi unni. I didn’t want my brothers to be in pain. I’ll go check up on them, since it sounds like they aren’t fighting anymore.

 

I took a deep breath and slowly turned the doorknob…

 

 

Kwangmin’s POV

 

 

My body hurt. My chest hurt. My head hurt. Everything hurt. I was leaning against the wall, breathing heavily. My hands and face were bloody and bruised, Youngmin being in the same state as I was. The door opened slowly, to reveal my little brother. His eyes were glazed with hurt, and his arms hung limply at his side. I looked away, mentally blaming myself for hurting my sweet little brother. Animal Youngmin seemed to go back to sleep, causing Normal Youngmin to come back to reality. “Oh my god…” He looked bloody knuckles, then at me, and then back at Hyunmin. “I’m sorry, did you hear us fighting?” He walked toward him and tried to hug him. He wriggled out of his grasp. “I don’t want your comfort, I’ve been dealing with this since I was born.” He spat. He sounded tired. I couldn’t blame him. “Why?” he whispered. Youngmin eyes saddened. “Sorry. I just got angry, that’s all.” My lip twitched. “Over a girl?” My head snapped up and I stood. “How do you know about Reichi?” I said. Hyunmin scoffed. “She just called your phone, . I told her about what happened, and you have school tomorrow. Get yourselves cleaned up.” Hyunmin walked out the door and closed it. We listened to his retreating footsteps until all was quiet again. Youngmin looked at me. “Sorry… I don’t know what came over me.” I nodded my head and limped my way to the door. Youngmin stopped me. “Wait. Can we talk?” He looked truly sorry, but I wasn’t one to fall for those kind of tricks. “No.” I said flatly. “I broke the deal, didn’t I?” Youngmin laughed sheepishly.

 

“Yeah. I didn’t expect you to keep it.”

 

“I really do like Kuro… but she likes you… I guess…”

 

“Sure. She should’ve just said yes to you. She deserves better than me.”

 

“She deserves better than both of us, considering what went down today.”

 

“Let’s clean up…”

 

We tidied the room to the best of our abilities, and bandaging our battered bodies. I wonder what will happen at school tomorrow. Will Kuro avoid Youngmin, or maybe even me? Snow fell gently outside the bedroom window, reflecting the glare of the streetlights. My heart still hurt. Is this what love feels like?

 

Teehee~ What will happen at school?

Youngmin: I'm not mean like that am I?

Me: Don't worry about it.