Jungguk's Clock

Clock

 

 

 

It didn't consume a lot of my time to arrive at the calculated place. As after approximately ten minutes, I found my now nervous self standing in front of the shining wood door that was preventing me from entering the flat. Finally have taken the walk on myself, all that was left for me to handle, was to merely lift my hand and press the small button which had the function to signal the occupants that a person wanted to enter.
Though imagine it was a lot easier than actually doing it. As the second I halted in front of Yun Hee's apartment did I frustratingly observe how my scale of confidence plumed into the negative area once again.

 

Solely being aware that Yun Hee might be on the other side of that giant hindrance, made fear crawl up my legs and the before crossed out questions, filling up my troubled head once more. And for the simple reason that I have long ago discovered the fact that I constituted a big coward, did I unhesitatingly twist on my heels to just head home. Merely running away with the wish of procrastinating the problem further...

 

Suddenly I heard my name being called out by a familiar voice that sadly I wasn't able to match with a face at once. Being curious who it might be, I stopped tilting my head downwards and instead allowed my eyes to stare head on. The second they were able to beheld my wide surrounding, they instantly caught sight of Yun Hee's aunt who just got out of the elevator. Seeing her walk into my direction I halted and just waited for her to decrease the distance.

 

However the closer she got the better was I able to distinguish her face. And the more my brain was able to identify her appearance, the bigger the emotions anxiety and shock got. As the woman who now stood in front of me was nothing like the happy and strong woman I used to encounter all the time. The woman who my eyes perceived was doubtlessly the complete opposite of the one I was used to.

 

Plainly said the female in front of me looked like a mess. The long hair that commonly fell perfectly from her shoulder, now looked uncombed and extremely distorted. Moreover her bright eyes and flawless skin seemed to have been marked as history for the simple reason that imperious dark circles resided below her dull eyes. And if that wasn't horrifying enough I was dead sure that she had been crying due to the fact that her eyes were red and her cheeks looked damp. All together her entrance left me speechless and got me unbelievable worried over her. What could have possibly happen to turn such a sophisticated woman into such a saddened being?

 

Hello. What happened to you?”

 

Not getting an answer from her made the fear grow even bigger and after a few seconds, I reopened my mouth to let another question hang in the air. “Did something happen?”

 

She still didn't dare to look me in the eyes and instead rummaged through her bag to most definitely retrieve her keys. However even though she might have tried her best to prevent me from observing her face even further, she unfortunately failed. As for a brief second I saw her glossy eyes glimmering in the artificial light. Therefore me feeling unpleasantly unsettled and tense, was sadly unavoidable. Once she successfully obtained the item, she hurriedly matched the metal with the lock before twisting it and commanding the door to let her enter.

 

Let's talk inside. I have to give you something anyway.”

 

I just nodded even though I was dead sure she didn't see it and due to the fact that curiosity was being intrusive, it immediately forced me to follow her. While walking in her shadow, she not once felt the need to turn around to look at me. Though after a few minutes she did instruct me to go into the living room and wait there for her. As she had to go upstairs to fetch something. 

 

At once I obeyed her and swiftly went inside the living room before sitting down onto the leather couch. Just remaining in my spot I noted how awfully quiet it was. Not a single noise was heard and it was like I just tread into an abandoned place. Normally when one entered another residence where people were living the atmosphere should be more warm. However strangely that sensation seemed to have died out in this place.

 

Not wanting to think about the peculiar situation any longer, I just took a short cut and explained it with the fact that it must be because for one Yun Hee was judging from the silent, most definitely not at home and for two that her aunt was rarely present. Now knowing that Yun Hee wasn't present I felt a rush of disappointment plashing onto me. As if she wasn't here then I wouldn't be able to sort out our problems that for my liking has been dominating my life for far too long. But at the same time I appallingly caught myself being shamelessly pleased by the fact as now I was able to push the matter further behind – just like I inwardly wished for. 

 

After a few minutes I had to stop my observation as my ears picked up the noise of someone sitting most definitely  down opposite from me. Having been too preoccupied with my thoughts, did I fail to notice Yun Hee's aunt returning. However instead of facing me, I saw her looking at something situated in her hands.
She didn't felt the need to disinvite the silence and not being used to the suffocating atmosphere, I just joined in the tranquillity club. Though that didn't mean that I enjoyed the bizarre situation and I can guarantee you that I was rummaging through my brain for a possible solution to the unwelcome muteness. However before I was able to overchallenge my brain, Yun Hee's aunt
fortunately finally decided to remove the burden that was placed on my shoulders and choose to break the silence herself.

 

“Jungguk. Are you here to see Yun Hee?”

 

Eventually she lifted her head to reveal the saddened face which was before hidden behind the curtain of her fringe and the second her eyes found mines she instantly trapped me with them. Feeling put under her spell, I felt my body becoming immobile and the only thing I was able to perform was nodding to signal her I agreed to her question.
Suddenly I could witness how her eyes refilled themselves with fresh tears and before I could act they started to stream down her pale cheeks. Seeing the liquid oozing out for real made me become even more anxious and mind I say even scared. As the second I associated the sadness with the fact that they appeared after mentioning Yun Hee, a revolting question crossed through my mind. Did something bad happen to Yun Hee?

 

I was dying to ask her what had befallen Yun Hee but at the same time reluctant. Therefore I decided to restrain my curiosity and just remain frozen to my spot while wishing for Yun Hee's aunt to finally relieve me by inaugurating my oblivious self. After a few minutes what felt like an eternity to me, she wiping the escaping tears away and slowly stood up. Not feeling the desire to look me in the face, she just made her way over to me while staring at the white floor.
The second she halted in front of me she carefully reached her skinny hands towards my own before lifting them slightly. Not long after did I find a small box being placed into my palms. The box was pure white with a light shine and had a silver ribbon tied around it's frame. Merely observing the actual plain object made me wonder, why I somehow felt incredible attached to it and suddenly develop the need to protect it. As after all it was just a box.

 

Why are you giving me this box?”

 

Yun Hee's aunt looked sadly at me and seemed to hesitate at first. I could hear a nearby clock ticking while she contemplate about if she should carry on our conversation or not. However after about a hundreds tick did she came to a conclusion. A conclusion that was able to not only break my heart into million pieces, but to effectively tear down my whole world as well.

 

I'm sorry. But you won't ever be able to see Yun Hee again. She died last week.”

 

I couldn't speak nor was I able to breath. Everything was so suffocating and unreal. It felt like the air was crushing my weak body with the aim of killing me slowly and surely. Though I wouldn't mind that as I was sure that would be less painful than carrying on my dramatic life.

 

I'm so sorry Jungguk for having to tell you this so suddenly. I'm sure this must be really hard for you... This box here is something that Yun Hee asked me to give you when you came over.”

 

.・゜゜・❁・゜゜・

 

What happened after that was so blurry that even if I wanted to narrate, I wouldn't be able to. As the vagueness only absconded the moment I was already back at home and sitting on my bed once more. Merely sitting there caught in a trance and staring at the small box that was entrusted to me. It looked so frail and easy to break. But at the same time it carried a strong aura around it.

Suddenly I saw something shiny clashing onto the unblemished surface. It didn't take a genius to guess what it was. They were obviously tears. And not long after I could feel various of the same kind joining force with the lonely first one. All following the trace on my cheek the first one marked.

 

My idle brain still didn't allow all the fresh news to sicker in. Though deep inside my heart already instructed it to open a gap so all the information could enter and destroy my soul. It was like my heart asked for a punishment that truthfully I knew I deserved head on.

After all Yun Hee my best friend and the girl I dated for years was no longer on this world. The one who daily conjured smiles on my face and brightened my days. Always spending her free-time with me and putting up with my childishness. And exactly this exact girl who meant so much to me is supposed to be gone. Moreover without me realize anything...

 

Noticing my ignorance and what slipped by me without my attention, made a new wave of tears flowing out. Suddenly I screamed.

 

I screamed as loud as my voice allowed me to do. Screaming and begging for the pain to subside. However all my cries were ignored as instead of diminishing they just increased. I wanted to turn back time. I wanted to see her again. I wanted to touch her again. But mostly I wanted to be beside her when she was in pain.

 

When I though about the pain she had to vanquish all alone, I felt like killing myself. Where have I been when she needed me? Why didn't I as a supposed friend realize anything? Having walked on without giving a damn while leaving her abandoned in the past. I couldn't even call myself a friend or a classmate. I was even lower. Someone who never had the right to walk by her side in the first place or even be in her proximity.

 

Everything was so painful to bear. The fact that she was gone. The fact that I did nothing. All that merged and let me taste the revolting pain that was the result of their teamwork.


Through my teary eyes I could make out the shape of the small box that I was still securing in my warm hand. Not caring to wipe the teardrops away I opened the lid with shaky hands. Once removed I detected a neatly folded letter inside of the hollow walls.

However instead of reaching my hand out to grasp the white letter, I only stared at it. Even though it was just a innocent sheet, I couldn't deny the fact that it evoked fear. Just seeing it and knowing that it was the last letter, from Yun Hee directed at me made me suspect that it was most definitely filled with insults.

Therefore I didn't dare to open it. But the least I could do now was to hear Yun Hee last words directed to me. Even when they were insults. When I knew better that I deserved every single one of them. Taking hold of the letter, I carefully placed the box beside me before slowly I unfolded the letter.

 

 

 

Dear Jungguk.

 

When you are reading this then I guess you already found out about me having left this world. However even though I prefer you not finding out, I am sure that it couldn't be helped. Though don't you dare cry over me! You hear me? I forbid you to cry as I'm sure you are crying right now. Men shouldn't cry!

 

Scolding and joking aside... Jungguk I'm sorry to leave you without saying a proper goodbye. But I want to tell you that you should stay strong and happy. I'm not demanding from you to always be strong as I think shedding tears is crucial as well. Thus make sure to cry when you need to. Don't hold everything in. It isn't healthy.

Another thing I want to say is: Just stay the way you have always been. Don't change. As I love the Jungguk I was able to meet the most. But if you do feel the need to then at least do it for yourself and never for others. Because if you do it for yourself then you will still be the Jungguk that I head over fell in love with. Wait scratch that. Whatever you do, I will just love everything even the moody you.

Therefore remember to always eat regularly and stay healthy. We don't want you to lack energy and not have enough strength to annoy your friends now, do we? You should laugh until you get stomach aches. Because laughing is good. Don't you ever forget that. Ohh... and smile. Smile a lot. Not only for me but also for yourself... I should stop talking gibberish now.

 

Do you still remember the time you told me I was your ´Clock´? You told me your heart would be beating as long as I would be ticking. Now that I stopped ticking your heart shouldn't be stopping with me. So too make sure your heart will be healthy for a long time I got you one last present. Did you look in the box? If not than do it after finish reading my long letter.

 

The last thing I want you to know is, that I really love you with my whole heart and I will maintain our love by holding on. However I know that it is already over and what I am clinging on is useless. That is why I want you to be happy with your new girlfriend and let her feel the same bliss, I was daily able to feel beside you. 

The letter has gotten way to long already and I should better stop now. I hope you won't be too affected by my death and can move on easily. So this is a final goodbye.
I know I already told you this a million time but I want to say it again. Jeon Jungguk I love you. Now and forever

 

Love Your ´Clock´

Yun Hee

 

 

Remembering the mentioned last present that I still haven't detected, I looked inside of the small box that was sitting on my blanket. Situated in the box was a small silver clock that I didn't notice earlier most definitely due to the great amount of tears I lost.
Carefully like it was a expensive gem, I took the clock out of its case. The object felt light and cool in my hand. Though at the same time warm and pleasant. Overall it felt perfect in my palm. 

It was a pocket watch with a silver chain attached to its head. After observing it throughout I decided to open the clock and without further ado it unlocked quietly. The second the content was revealed to one eyes, I saw the small watch hand taking its usual stroll. Just doing its job flawlessly and undisturbed. After following its action for not to long, I decided to look at the cap which surprisingly had something engraved on it.

 

 

The clock is going on and so should you.

 

 

The tears stopped. The clock was ticking. My life went on. A smile played on my face.

Even though it is hard without you by my side, I will live on. I will enjoy my life like I have always done. So when the time comes when the pocket watch will stop, I am sure that I will be beside my real ´Clock´ once more. That is why you should wait for me my malfunctioning ´Clock´.

 

 


 

Finally the last part of 'Clock' is finished.
I tried to not do it too dramatic >.<

The last chapter is the longest and I hope you won't get bored reading it ^_^
I hope you guys enjoyed reading this story =D

Thank you all who stayed with me until the end! I really appreciated it =)