7/??

Worth It All

Why are those tears falling

Why do I hear ‘em calling out my name

Daehyun sighs for nth time. It’s their first big endorsement deal and he’s excited. But he can’t help, but feel a pang. He’s forgetting something. He sighs again. There’s always something he’s forgetting nowadays. And usually it had to do with Aria. Eyebrows furrow together momentarily before they disappear into his hairline. Oh no. He jolts up, but the look he receives from Yongguk forces him back down.

He fiddles with his thumbs, tugs at the ends of his hair, nervous glances towards Youngjae until the younger finally pulled him aside.

“Yah, what is going on with you?”

“I had a date with Aria,” he whines and Youngjae shakes his head. He likes the idea of dating, he really does. He likes the idea of coming home to someone, or that someone being home. But now, when their lives are so wrapped around their careers, he doesn’t see the point. He tries not to remind Daehyun that his goal and his future lie within the industry, with singing, but sometimes he wonders if Daehyun may have changed.

“You’re not going to make it,” he responds, appraising the elder.

“Maybe I could get out of th--”

“Jung Daehyun, this is the first real big endorsement deal we got! Groups that debuted after us have more deals! We’re working with a fairly popular girl group! No, you cannot ditch for your girlfriend!” Youngjae inhales deeply. “She knew what she was getting into and besides, she cancels dates because of work plenty of ti--”

“Twice,” mutters Daehyun, sullenly. “But she always manages to make it up. It’s me who can’t.”

Youngjae closes his eyes. He doesn’t want to be the one to say this. “If you both aren’t giving it your all--”

“I’m giving all I can, Yoo Youngjae! And she knows it...” He walks away, shaking his head. Daehyun looks out the window at the all the cameras and groans. It will be all over the news. It isn’t until they’re wrapping up and bowing the girls and staff that Himchan pulls out the communal phone. Daehyun stares at it dumbstruck. How could he have forgotten about it? He slouches in the backseat with a pout.

Yongguk looks back with a raised brow.  “Mess something up again?”

Daehyun glares at the older man, willing him to melt on the spot. “I had a date,” he finally mumbles.

“Ah.”

“Which I missed.”

“Well--”

“And I could have just texted her, but it didn’t even cross my mind!”

Yongguk sighs. He speaks softly, but with deep regret and years of wisdom. “You know, when you start forgetting things, when the fights get worse, when it’s the same fight every second, it usually means something.” Daehyun doesn’t interrupt because this is Yongguk, not Youngjae. “It doesn’t mean you love her any less, or her you, but it means that the willpower you both started with to make the relationship work has dwindled. Either something changes in your lifestyles so that willpower is back, or you don’t make it and it ends badly.” Yongguk’s voice is a whisper at the last part and his eyes are shut tight. He doesn’t want to remember the past sometimes.

Daehyun nods, the pout not leaving his face. They drop him off close to her apartment and he walks the same steps she did. Faster and faster until he reaches the apartment. The apartment is spotless. Clean, no dust. Pillows stacked neatly, nothing looking lived in. She’s upset. She only cleans that thoroughly when she wants to forget. Daehyun’s lips curve downwards as he treads lightly through the apartment. The door to their bedroom is open and her back is to him when he enters. The room is dark save the bright light from her laptop. His feet lead him to the desk to shut off the device, but the wrinkles in his forehead increase when he reads the article.

Daehyun of B.A.P to be on We Got Married with ********The cute couple that charmed the public with their chemistry in their latest CF is now pairing up once again. Their first meeting was filmed today, below are pictures of the meeting. Maybe this will be the first couple to begin dating from the show!

He takes in a shaky breath. He was hoping on telling her himself. Her body is hunched over and Daehyun wants to badly to console her. He knows it’s hard, but just a little longer. Just a little longer and everything would be okay. He lifts the sheets and slides in next to her, trying to pull her closer and he wants to cry when her body is so stiff and unrelenting. He finally gives up and presses himself against her, heart beating a thousand miles an hour.

“You could have just told me.”

“I know,” he whispers, scared at how shaky her voice is.

“I didn’t have to hear it from the news like all your other fans.”

“I know.” There was nothing else he could say. He should have told her as soon as he accepted.

“Was this something you had to keep a secret, Daehyun? Why do I have to hear everything about you from the news? Why don’t I hear about things sooner?”

“I’m sorry,” he mumbles, wanting the fights to stop. He yearns to go back to what it was before.

She sighs. The hairs on the back of his neck bristle. “I’m so tired of your apologies, you know. I know I won’t see you often, but don’t I at least deserve to know about you before reporters and journalists and your fans?”

Daehyun shifts uncomfortably. This conversation was lasting longer than he wanted. “You were a fan before.”

“I still am.”

“So don’t complain about--” he starts, anger rearing the back of his words.

“About knowing things about my boyfriend after everyone?” She turns to face him and Daehyun shivers. She looks more hurt than he expected, but this isn’t a big deal.  “Tell me what being your girlfriend entails, because at this point, I don’t get to see you, I don’t get to know anything about you, and apparently, I can’t even complain about it.”

“Can I come home once to you not complaining?” He snaps, anger lacing his words more than intended. It’s just a show. She should know that.

Aria narrows her eyes at him. “Yeah. Yeah, you know what? You can come home and stay home happy from now on.” Daehyun watches with interest as she gets out of bed and heads for their closet. She pulls out a suitcase and duffel bag and he’s surprised to see them already packed. She had been preparing for this.

Sitting up quickly, Daehyun moves to the foot of the bed. “What are you doing?”

“Leaving.”

He rushes to her side, scared, panicked and all sorts of worried. “Baby, you c--” He goes to say. She can’t leave, but he doesn’t get to finish because her hand connects to his face and the pain is more unbearable than before. He ignores it though. Battle scars. Nothing special.  

“That’s all you ever say now, you know. That I can’t do this. Or I can’t do that. you. I’ll do whatever the I please.” He cringes at the way she looks at him. He knows it’s more than the show. He knows she feels scorned, put to the side. He doesn’t want his relationship to be public. He doesn’t want her to get hurt. But soon, soon everything will work out.

Daehyun reaches for her wrists. He watches the way she avoids eye contact. He knows he still has a chance. “I know. I know I’m making this hard. Harder than it needs to be, but Aria, you know I love you.” His forehead presses against hers and their eyes meet. He’s got her again. “And I know you love me.” Daehyun wipes the tears that fall and holds her closer.

The bag drops and he’s stopped the impending event once again.