17/??

Worth It All

As long as you give me the chance

To make it right

 

“But I don’t want to. Let’s try again. Let’s give it our all.” He finishes, finally opening his eyes to stare up at her still form.

“Again?” She asks, eyes open now, the bedsheets lightly. “Try again? Once more time? How many one more times?”

His voice is patient when he finally calms his heart and the tears are prickling at the corners of his eyes. “As long as you give me the chance.”

Her nails scratch against the sheets as she thinks upon the statement. The normally quiet chirping of crickets outside is unusually loud and makes it nearly impossible for Aria to think. She can feel Daehyun’s stare and it’s haunting as she mulls over everything. She already wants to blurt out yes--that they should try again, but that’s hasty. That’s childish. She knows it’s too optimistic and she almost feels guilty.

“I don’t want to fight.”

“Then we won--”

“But we do.”

The truth in the statement leaves a cold, bitter taste to the air in the room. Daehyun isn’t sure if it’s just him, but his heart is bubbling in his throat. As the silence presses on, he can hear the pounding of his heartbeat up to his ears as he waits seemingly patiently, fingers drumming silently upon his knees. There’s a slow, rhythmic tap and it takes them both a while to realize it’s from Daehyun’s feet. Aria frowns, reaching for the pillow near her and hugging it close to her body. She wants to hide under the duvet and retreat from this world.

Daehyun’s throat burns as he tries to read her mind. He puts so much energy into looking up at her again that he’s afraid his neck might snap. He finally looks at her--takes her all in. Worry lines, frowns, the dark circles, and her tear stained cheeks. She must know he loves her. She must know that he cares. How could she not know?

When her lips part and makes the begging noises of speech, Daehyun holds his breath and hopes that when he releases it, she’s still there.

“I need to think,” she finally tells him, voice monotonous and flat.

 

The apartment is unusually empty without Daehyun. Even though Daehyun is rarely there anyway. He hasn’t been back since the talk and a part of Aria is relieved. But the apartment is eerie. Every footstep falls louder and every creak sounds more imposing. It’s only the second day without seeing Daehyun, but Aria can feel the trepidation build as every knock that she hears through the walls isn’t Daehyun.

By the fourth day, she’s taken to working from home and barely stepping outside of her room. Her toes drag on the wood floor as she lets one leg hang over the bed, while she types on her laptop. Soft instrumental music plays while she tries to stay focused on the task at hand. Her eyes first dart to her phone when she feels the slightest vibrations on the mattress. Seconds later, she glances at the door. And again at her phone. It’s late--he should be here.

Fingers hesitate over the phone. Should she call? When her fingers touch the screen, becomes dry and she breaks into cold sweat. Taking deep breaths, willing herself to calm down, she picks up the phone, back hunched over, typing in his number. Her thumb shakes over the call button, breaths coming out in short gasps. It’s as if they’re starting over again and the shyness and hesitance from the very beginning is back and haunting her mind.

The door to her room creaks open and at first she doesn’t mind it because everything in the apartment creaks, but with her next breath she inhales the scent of his cologne and Aria feels and overwhelming emotions of emptiness that she;s been ignoring and it isn’t until he’s right in front of her that she can even exhale.

Daehyun falls to his knees, taking her hand in his. “I’m sorry. I should be patient and wait for you to tell me your decision, but--” Aria’s not sure what quite comes over her, but she’s missed him. Her heart is racing and her cheeks are flushed as his voice penetrates her ears and it’s been so long since she’s been able to hear him and see him that she can’t help it.

Crashing her body against his as she drops from the bed, Aria cups his face in her hands before slanting over his and pulling his body closer. Her lips press desperately against his until he places a hand at the small of her back and calms her down with his lips.

They break soon for air, exhaling at the same time. Aria knows her face is red and her lips are bruised, but she’s missed him. Daehyun laughs shortly, pulling at her until she’s laying on top of him. Her legs slip to cage his hips as she looms over him. Aria leans down to press a light kiss to his lips, moving away quickly before dipping her head again for another and another, until Daehyun holds her head down as he returns her soft pecks with languish and lazy kisses.

“Thank you,” murmurs against her lips. She sits back, pulling him up with her so her back is firmly against the side of the bed and her legs are wrapped loosely around his waist.

“I missed you.”

“I wanted to give you space,” he breathes and then laughs throatily. “Didn’t quite do too great on that.”

Aria catches his gaze and she bites her lower lip before pinching his chin to bring his lips to hers again. “I missed you,” she repeats against the rhythmic dancing of his lips.

“I missed you too,” he completes, rubbing her sides softly. “I missed you too.”

“I miss you when you leave,” Aria whispers so softly, he has to strain to hear.

“I won’t leave then,” Daehyun replies quickly and Aria laughs. “What?”

“You have to leave. For your job, for your future.”

“My future is right here,” Daehyun says as if he’s reminding her of a simple idea.

Aria feels the lump in throat. “Don’t say that anymore. This won’t work for much longer, Daehyun. Don’t--”

“You’re my future,” he interrupts with a glare and a half hearted challenge.

“Dae-”

“You’re my future.”

The tears prickling at the corners of her eyes fall at the point and Aria sighs in frustration. But Daehyun is patient and he waits for her to compose herself. “We’re not--”

“Maybe not, but you are mine.”

“Dae--”

“I can keep going at this argument longer than you, Ari.” He sounds stubborn and a giggle finds its way out of . “You’re my future and it’s okay if it’s not the near future. But all roads will always lead right to you.”


Was i supposed to update this earlier? Ugh i don't remember. Let me know in the comments what you all think!