3/??

Worth It All

Baby I know it’s supposed to be all roses

But roses come with their thorns

Daehyun inhales deeply as they go through the concert lineup again. Steps fall in line and he’s not really sure if he remembers every step, but apparently his body does, so he doesn’t question it. They’re given a five minute break for water and air and Daehyun collapses.

“How are things with you and Aria?” Youngjae asks gently because Daehyun is only like this when his heart hurts. Daehyun shakes his head. He’d rather not discuss his love life. Youngjae bites his lower lip before passing the older a water bottle. “I know you two love each other, but maybe you guys need to talk some things out? I mean, something else must be botheri--”

“Shut up, Youngjae. I appreciate the concern, but just shut up.”

Youngjae wants to shoot back a smart aleck reply back, but Manager Kang is whisking them back for their practice and Daehyun struggles to his feet again, leaning on his best friend support. Youngjae sighs. Daehyun is too hotheaded and stubborn; he’ll never accept help. Youngjae’s arm wraps around the older man, helping him back to practice. “Come on, old man.”

 

 

Daehyun sends her roses. Sometimes just one. And sometimes a dozen. And when he’s really sorry, he’ll send her lilies because she loves lilies. But when he’s doing it for himself, when he’s doing something so he won’t feel guilty, he’ll send her roses. He’s not sure why. He’s not particularly fond of the flowers. He too, prefers the sweet scent of lilies. But something about roses alway draws him in. At first, he expects it to be just because it’s normal; roses and love. But then he realizes how similar the rose is to their precarious relationship. Because really, their relationship is beautiful. Not many people meet their soulmates and certainly not so early. But then, it still doesn’t make it easy, does it? And the rose is beautiful. It blooms beautifully. But you know. You know it’ll hurt you. You know there are thorns. Thorns that will dig into your skin and twist and pull. Some get get stuck. But when you finish arranging the roses; when all the thorns are gone and it splays out nicely in a vase, it’s the most beautiful and it’s worth it.

 

 

Aria sits in the apartment, drawing up her legs to her chest, knees pressed against the edge of the table. Just a couple of months ago, they’d had a lovely dinner together. And they laughed. And they talked. It was nice. Moments like that are rare. It only takes one word to have it all fall apart again. Sometimes she wishes that they could have lasting moments like that more, but it seems as though arguing and fighting are simply easier. Jung Daehyun is the perfect boyfriend. He’s funny, he’s charming and he cares. He doesn’t care much of what you look like or do as long as you can love him. He’ll love you for being you and make your heart race. But Jung Daehyun is also the worst boyfriend. He’ll make you feel empty without him. He’ll bring up your lowest points in arguments and he’ll start arguments he doesn’t want to finish. He thinks he’s always right and if he isn’t, he’ll leave you for the night and waltz in the next morning like nothing happened. But then when he truly knows he’s wrong, he’ll come up behind you and hold you and apologize for everything and kiss and tell you you’re beautiful and that he’s sorry. And then you forgive him, but the cycle starts again.

It’s a difficult journey to find your soulmate, only to have rationality and logic prevent it from blooming. It’s strange to want to spend the rest of your life with someone and simultaneously want to get as far away from them as possible. Aria knows the feeling. Daehyun knows the feeling.  

She sits at the table, staring at the roses he sent. Something is always sent when he's not there. Something to fill the gap. She sighs and puts away the food before returning to the table to get the flowers. She's careful in removing the plastic and rubber band, but when she goes to the cut part of the stem, she cuts herself. Some things are so beautiful they hurt. When the roses are finally arranged properly in the vase, she smiles. Seeing the beautiful things in their final forms were worth it.