4/??

Worth It All

And I really think you should know

It ain’t like the movies

Why can’t you see

Love is up and down

“Let’s go out for dinner tonight,” she softly pleads, her head tucked under his chin.

“I don’t think so,” he mutters, flipping through his phone.

With a sigh, she stands up. “All right. I’ll order takeout then. I don’t feel like cooking...”

Daehyun glances up from his phone and nods. “Yeah, sure. Whatever.”

She snorts, exiting the living room and rummaging through the drawer for the menu of the restaurant a few blocks away. “Yeah, sure. Whatever,” she mocks. “Yeah, sure. It’s not like a little interaction would kill you. Whatever, it’s not like this relationship is drowning. No, I’ll just continue to be a and text away while you get yourself off every night and whine about our relationship because I’m Jung Daehyun and being a is what I am a professional at. Of course. Why the do I even try.” She’s prattling on and mocking his behavior for a good five minutes before finding the menu.

“Having fun making fun of me?” She jumps at the sound of his voice before her face settles into a sneer. Ignoring him, she dials the number, fingertips tapping the countertop of the kitchen. “Hi! I’d like to place an order for carryout?” She pauses, waiting for the person on the other side to give the affirmative. Daehyun watches as she runs through their usual favorites from the menu. She rattles them off easily and the smile on her face never wavers. The person on the other side is obviously male and as the smile extends on her face, Daehyun steps closer. Her eyes flicker towards his, confused, before she continues her chat. “Yeah! I order here often... Am I that predictable?” She asks into the phone, laughing at something the cashier said. He takes another step closer and Aria moves back with a frown.

A small smirk plays at the edge of his lips and Aria mouths no to him. But Jung Daehyun doesn’t really listen to anyone (except his stomach and sometimes Yongguk when he gets really scary), so he steps closer and closer and soon her back is against the window of their kitchen. “Thanks so much!” she says cheerfully. “I’ll swing by to pick it up soon!” She ends the call and tosses her phone on the countertop, the loud clatter startling the predatory male in front of her.

“What the , Daehyun?”

He shrugs. “You mock me behind my back, but flirt with someone else in front of me? Your priorities are a wee screwy.”

Aria huffs and pushes at his chest, but he doesn’t budge. He doesn’t give her that satisfaction. “I’ll mock you to your face and I was giving them my order, Daehyun. Not flirting. If a straight girl talks to a male, that doesn’t not mean she’s flirting with them, so get off your high horse.”

Daehyun sighs. “Oh, Aria. Aria Aria Aria,” he says, rolling the r’s in a way that has her shifting. “See, when you laugh at the, presumably straight, male, he gets all sort of thoughts in his mind. Like how would your laughter sound in person. And then what other noises will you make?” His hands trail up her body. “And then he wants to know what he has to do to get those noises out of you. And then he wants to know what’s the loudest noise you can make. So you see, a straight girl talking to a straight male, is flirting.”

“You’re an ,” she snaps, shoving him off successfully this time and moving out of the kitchen.

“I’m either an or a , love. You can’t keep changing your mind,” he calls back, following her out. When he starts putting on his shoes, she stop him.

“You can’t come.”

“Like hell I can’t. That of a cashier is gonna try to flirt with you more and--”

“This goes one  of two ways. You pick it up by yourself, in which case they’ll wonder why popular idol Jung Daehyun of popular idol band B.A.P is picking up an order placed by a regular female customer. Oor,” she continues, grabbing a hoodie, “You pick it up with me, in which case they’ll wonder why popular idol Jung Daehyun of popular idol band B.A.P is with a girl picking up dinner. The scandal this will cause in your cute, little fandom. No thanks. I don’t need self righteous 13 year olds after me.” The door to the apartment is shut and Daehyun is left with a small pout forming.

Aria sighs as she walks to the restaurant. The whole thing was becoming a bit much and it really wasn’t fair how often they argued. Her hands are stuffed in her pockets as she walks briskly. And arm links with her own and shakes her from her thoughts.

“You’re not going by yourself.”

Aria smiles. Daehyun is wearing a large hoodie and his face is covered by a face mask. He had pulled on a beanie under the hood and Aria sustains a laugh. “You look like a serial killer.”

Daehyun looks at her with a glare, “Shut up.”

Aria smiles before clutching his arm. It’s been so long. Theirs is a comfortable silence. A relationship unmarred by the constant need to fill the void with words or sound. Theirs is a relationship marred by the constant need for each other. Aria can’t remember the last time they were together and outside. At some point, his arm slides  out of her hold and his hand reached for hers. With a strong squeeze, the two continued on their path.

“This is nice,” she whispers. Daehyun nods, leaning down to kiss the top of her head through the face mask, his face showing obvious frustration at the piece of cloth.

“I’m okay with anything as long as it’s with you,” he confesses. Daehyun is rarely romantic. He’s practical and that’s what’s so attractive about him. So when he confesses some of his deepest thoughts to her, Aria feels privileged. The feeling is mutual and there’s no need for her to respond. Still, the way her hand holds his tighter is an indication that she feels the same and it’s all the reassurance he needs.

“I better go in,” she says when they reach the restaurant. “You’d make a scene...”

“Yah!” he snaps, stomping his foot. “I didn’t come all this way--”

“I’ll be speedy,” she says before rushing into the building. Daehyun sighs and leans against the wall next to the door. There is no doubt he is getting attention and more and more people are doubletaking at him. Uncomfortable, he pulls his hoodie tighter to his face.

Aria sighs, finally getting all their food and stepping out. “OPPA!” she hears the shrill scream. Glancing to her left, her eyes lock with his. He’s already surrounded by a over a dozen fangirls and Aria sighs. “Oppa, saranghaeyo!” comes another scream and she laughs, shaking her head, trying to move past the mob. One girl pushes her away and Aria stumbles with her food a little before snapping.

“Yah! Move! No one needs over privileged little girls blocking the road when people are trying to get home! Get out of my way!” Daehyun looks up from his signing. He’s tired and apologetic and he knows she’s angry. He knows she’s frustrated, but there’s only one thing he can do now.

“I’m sorry,” he says. “Guys, please move aside so this young lady can go through.”

Aria glares at him as the crowd parts and she brushes by him when he apologizes again. “It’s not like apologizing changes anything.”

Her steps are quick and light and she doesn’t stop moving, she doesn’t turn around until she’s in her apartment and she’s bolted the door. Now, key or not, he couldn’t get in again. It’s childish, but really she’s jealous of the fans. Because it’s normal for them to be around him. They can see him daily. Touch him. The food lays discarded next to her feet while she puts her head in her hands. She’s not sure how long she’s been sitting there, but soon she hears the click of the lock turning. He’s trying to get inside and Aria stiffens. No.

“Aria,” he calls, his voice thick and hoarse. He’s tired. She covers her ears with her hands and tries to shut out his voice. “Aria, listen. I’m sorry. I’m sorry that happened. But that’s what’ll happen if we got out together. You keep wanting to go out, but it can’t.. it can’t happen.” There’s a long pause and she hears a thud. “Baby, I’m sorry. I’m sorry things aren’t perfect. I know you wish they were. It’s not always gonna be perfect... but when it is, it’s pretty good, isn’t it?”

Aria wants to close him out. She knows it’s selfish. She knows she shouldn’t get angry because this is bound to happen. He is an idol. He’s a popular idol. His group is popular. She shouldn’t be angry, but she can’t help it. He knocks again.

“Let me in?” he asks and Aria sighs, standing up. She unbolts the door and opens it, revealing him in his disheveled state, mask removed, beanie gone. “I’m sorry,” he says again. Everything is so routine and monotonous and even the apologies are getting bland. She nods, it’s an acceptance. Like always. He picks up the food from the floor and moves it to the table, pulling her along by the wrist.

Daehyun turns to face her and Aria stares at the ground. Strong arms wrap around her waist and he pulls her closer, kissing her forehead. “We’re not a movie couple, Aria. There’s gonna be ups and downs, but I’m okay with the downs if you’re here.”

Aria wants to stay silent, but really this isn’t the time for silence. “You think you can just say that and things get better, but it doesn’t work that way. I’m always here. I’m always here, Daehyun. You’re the one that’s not. Of course it’s easy if I’m here because where would I go?” She pushes away from from him and her body trembles. “You’re never here. And when it gets hard, you’re the one that runs out. You’re the one that leaves for the few nights we have alone together. You don’t want to fix it, Daehyun. You want to say something romantic and pretend that it’s an apology, but it doesn’t work that way.”

“Really?” he asks, incredulous. “I want to let you know how much I love you, but you wanna tell me how it’s wrong?” Daehyun moves so he’s nose to nose with her. “I’m always gone because I have work. I always leave because if we’re around each other for anytime longer than a minute, you pick a fight. I always leave because if I don’t, we’d argue all night. I don’t run out, I ing run for this relationship!”

And then Aria slaps him. She slaps him harder than she ever has because how dare he? How dare he take all responsibility for the relationship? How dare he assume that she’s the problem in the relationship. “Don’t,” she shakes. “Don’t.”

The shove that hits her, has her falling back against the sofa. “Don’t what? Don’t tell the truth? Who argues all the time? Who starts everything? Who complains about everything that she already knew was going to happen?”

Aria stands up with huff. “You’re right. Why would anyone complain about not seeing their significant other? Why would that be a problem in a relationship? Oh, gee. I don’t know. Probably because relationships require more than one person, asswipe.”

Daehyun frowns. “You knew it’d be hard--:

“So, I’m not allowed to be ing sad when I don’t see you for months at a time and when I do, you don’t even want to talk?!”

He inhales deeply. “Fine. Complain. Get out everything you want out. Tell me you hate me. Tell me you want to stop.”

Aria rolls her eyes. “Shut up, Jung Daehyun. You know I love you. You know I don’t want this to stop.” She runs her hand through her hair. “I just want everything--”

“To be perfect. Like a movie,” he finishes. He bends at the hip, “How delusional you must be to think movie romances are realistic.”

Aria groans, rubbing her face with her hands. “No. No, I just want to not dread you coming home. I want to happy again, Daehyun. I want us to be happy again.”

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I know many people hate advertisements, but if anyone wants to read Daehyun , I'm writing one, but I'd also appreciate if you guys took a look at my other stories? Thanks for reading, and please do comment!