16/??

Worth It All

Get it wrong sometimes

 

Youngjae is often over when Daehyun isn’t. He’s there for moral support, but mostly just a shoulder to cry on. Youngjae will hold her and comfort her and remind her that Daehyun loves her; still loves her. And when she sees pictures of the happy TV couple sprawled everywhere, it’s a nice reminder. It’s better to get out all the rage and anger and tears and sadness before Daehyun comes back. Because they promised to try and she has promised to not care about his on screen wife.

But it’s hard. And when they only receive positive reviews, she can’t help but wonder of the negative comments if Daehyun revealed her. That’s when Youngjae’s warm hand her back is most helpful. Or the soft jumble of words that pour out of his mouth. Aria isn’t even really sure what he’s saying, but rather, it’s the way he says it that sets her at ease.

Sometimes Junhong will come with him and demand food, but usually he comes alone with new music and snacks. Youngjae is Daehyun’s best friend and when he does things like this, she thinks he’s on loan to her. His hands is curled around her neck, sweeping beneath her stray hairs until her face is close to his own. Slipping the headphones over her ears, his other hand fumbles for the ipod.

And that’s how he finds them after a long day of solo vocal practice. Bodies curled to accommodate one another and listening to music. He knows it means nothing. That Youngjae is there to help. That he should be grateful to his friend for being there when he can’t, but there’s an unreasonable component in brains that constantly nags him. Tells him that little touches lead to bigger touches and the thought has him slinking towards the unsuspecting pair with a scowl etched across his face.

Aria notices him before Youngjae. Her eyes meet his in a warm greeting before becoming confused by his glare. Youngjae finally glances up, responding to her stiff body. His eyes meet Daehyun’s and he sighs inwardly. Now isn’t the time to argue, so instead, he stands up and walks to the door with a small nod of his head. He’ll talk to Daehyun at home. Perhaps after Aria calms him down.

The minutes tick by after Youngjae shuts the door behind him before Daehyun speaks. Aria stands and walks closer to him, confused by his behavior.

“Does Youngjae come by often when I’m not here?” He asks, staring at the ground, voice tight in restraint. Aria blinks up at him, confusion mounting on her face. Daehyun finally looks her in the eye. “Does he?”

“Yeah. Sometimes, if your vocal practice is taking longer, him a--”

“And you just let him in?” Interrupts Daehyun.

“Uh, yeah?”

“When I’m not here?”

Aria crosses her arms. “Well, that’s why he’s here.”

“Well, he shouldn’t be visiting someone else’s girlfriend when--”

“Please tell me you aren’t suspecting your BEST friend.” Daehyun swallows. He wants to say no. He wants to say never. But he’s quiet instead. “Jung Daehyun, Youngjae is nothing but supportive.” That’s when he wants to laugh. Youngjae tolerates it. Youngjae helps out. But Youngjae isn’t supportive. The relationship won’t help the band and Youngjae wants success. “How--”

“When did you get so close to him? That he becomes your source of comfort, Aria? How did I miss that?”

She exhales a puff of breath, arms falling to her sides as she steps closer to him. “He’s not. He’s not. But he’s quiet and he doesn’t ask questions. We don’t talk. He just.. when you’re not here... he just--”

“Replaces me?” Daehyun offers, bitterly.

Aria scowls. “No. No, you stupid, annoying, presumptuous . He’s just nice.”

“And?”

“And what, Daehyun?! And what?! What else does he have to be? Does he have to be more because he has a ? Is that what this is? Am I supposed to think that every guy out there is trying to get in my pants? Is that what you’re trying to say?”

Daehyun winces at her outburst. “It’s just--”

Aria rolls her eyes. “It’s just nothing. You need to stop acting like it’s only okay for you to hang around other girls, but the moment a man is near me--” She doesn’t even bother to continue, turning away from Daehyun and stomping towards the bedroom. She can hear him follow her, but ignores it.

“You watched the broadcast?” He asks weakly, closing the door behind them.

“You mean where you professed your love to you wife?” She snaps, pulling the covers from the bed to curl up and away from him.

“Don’t call her that,” he mutters, sitting on the floor near the bed.

“Why not? That’s what she is and I’m your of a mistr--”

“Aria!” he warns.

“What? If you thought ing better of me, you wouldn’t be accusing me of sleeping around every time a man with a around me.” Her eyes are closed it takes all her willpower to not cry.

“That’s not true,” he answers weakly. “I just-- I don’t kn--” He takes a deep breath. “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have been like that.”

“You always are,” she says softly.

“I know,” he responds, leaning his head back and shutting his eyes as well. There’s a rush of emotions flowing through Daehyun and his blood runs cold. He doesn’t mean to. He doesn’t want to. But one day, she’s going to wake up and he won’t be there again, and she’ll finally realize what a waste he is. It’s what he fears most and sometimes Daehyun thinks that time is coming faster and closer than before.

Aria’s only quiet for all of two seconds before she speaks. And maybe it’s the pain or the annoyance, but the emotions all crash at once, crushing her heart. It’s a question she asks every time they argue. It’s a persistent thought in the back of her mind. And maybe it isn’t the best time to bring it up, but the tension is suffocating. “Aren’t you tired of apologizing and arguing? Why can’t we just end this? Why are you--”

“Is that your answer to everything?” Daehyun asks, quietly. “Let’s break up then.”


A/N: i feel like an author's note is needed. I got a job offer in June and started in July and it has been an adjustment period. I'm so sorry it's taken this long to update, I've finished the story, so I'll be updating once a week (exactly-hold me to that) until the remaining chapters are up here. thank you so much for still subbing and waiting patiently ^^