Kang Eun Mi

Body Language

“Don’t forget we have an important lecture next week. Don’t miss the class.” The professor stated in a loud voice as students began to excitedly mill out of the class.  

It was Friday and everyone was anxious to start the weekend – all except Eunmi, who exited the classroom in a sluggish manner. She looked around at her classmates, who were all happily smiling in their group of friends, talking excitedly. Friday’s meant going home early. She could not lie to her father about staying late to study.

She heaved a sigh as she made her way to the front of her building, where a sleek black car awaited her. She got in and noticed the looks she received. All the people around her sneered – annoyed at how rich Eunmi was. Truth was, she hated being picked up and driven to and fro from school, yet it was the only way that her father would allow her to leave the house.

As soon as she sat down in the back of the car, the car began to move and she instantly plugged herself into her iPod. Listening to music was her only way of escape, and for the past couple of months since her mothers death, music was her only friend. She closed her eyes tightly as she concentrated on the lyrics and beat of the underground rap songs that were blearing in her ears.

Hip hop and rap, was one of her best hidden secrets. If anyone ever asked her who her favorite artist was, she would simply mention a classical artist that the majority of people would not know – thus allowing her to be left alone. Sure she wanted friends, but having friends meant the possibility of being questioned, and that could not be happened.

Several minutes later they arrived at her house, and she stepped in, her whole body rigid. She took off her shoes and made her way to her fathers study.

“Hello father, I am home.” She announced at the foot of the door bowing low, and remaining in a bow.

“Good, I have been meaning to talk to you.” Her father stated, looking up at her with a passive face. "Sit." He demanded.

Eunmi entered his study and sat down in one of the chairs that faced his desk.

“You have a proposal for marriage tomorrow. You must not up like you did with the rest, am I clear? They are an asset to the company and me.” He said curtly, looking at her with dark eyes.

Eunmi’s father was a curt man with a stern, scary looking face. Those who had the misfortune to have his gaze fall them often cowered away. He was a menacing man who showed no mercy – even to his family.

“I will do my best.” Eunmi replied quietly, looking down at her hands.

She had several offers given to her through her father – for business purposes only and all of them fell through. Her father believed it was because Eunmi was at fault, but the truth was, it was the boys who were at fault. Those boys – yes boys – just wished to play around for a bit to please their parents. Once they knew things were serious and that they could not opt out once they signed the contract, everything fell through. It seriously wasn’t Eunmi’ fault, she smiled and looked as pretty as she could, yet it never worked, they didn’t want a quiet, well-mannered girl – they wanted a pot, which she obviously wasn’t.

“You will not do your best – you will sell yourself. This cannot fall through.” He said in a loud voice, bringing his fist down hard on his desk, making Eunmi jump.

“Yes, of course.” Eunmi said again. She avoided her father’s eyes as much as possible.

“Good – now get lost.” He stated.

Eunmi quickly stood up and left his study, heading to her room. She quickly opened her door, closed it and flopped down on her bed, closing her eyes, trying to let her emotions ebb.

Saturday will be hell there was no doubt.

*

Nearing the middle of the day, Eunmi decided to begin her preparations for the dinner. She had decided on wearing a black floor length dress that extenuated her pale milky skin. The back dipped low, exposing her delicate shoulder blades, making it extra y. The front covered her whole front, and latched around her neck. She sighed as she began to apply her make up. She decided to be very neutral on the make up to show off her true features. She applied a thin layer of winged eyeliner to show off her cat like eyes. She applied a small amount of blush, which gave her an innocent look. Next was her unruly slightly curly hair. She tried her hardest to straighten it, but nothing worked in the late August heat, so she pulled it up into a sleek ponytail. Her long hair tickled her back as she moved her head around. She nodded to herself in the mirror, as she stood up and got dressed.

Several minutes later, as she was applying her earrings, there was a light knock on the door. The door opened to reveal her private driver.

“Miss Eunmi, we need to leave now.” He said softly. “Your father went ahead a few minutes ago.” He added, and she gave a small nod, and then Eunmi suddenly slump from the relief of tension.

“Alright, I will be down in a moment.” Eunmi said as she gave herself one last look in the mirror.

She left her room and walked out to the car, where her driver waited by the car door, opening it at just the right moment. Eunmi sat down and straightened out her evening dress then once again plugging herself into her music. She closed her eyes and let the rhythms beat through her.

Sooner than she’d like, the car stopped in front of an eloquent looking building. Several waiters were waiting outside in white tuxedoes, and silver platters.

“Ugh, I hate this place.” Eunmi sighed as the door opened. The warm late august air hit her skin, and she suddenly felt under dressed – she should have covered more skin.

She made her way inside, conscious of all the looks she was getting by the young male waiters.

“Ah, Miss Kang Eunmi, what a pleasure to see you once again. Are you here to dine with your father and his guests?” The head butler asked with a plastered on smile.

Eunmi allowed a small polite smile to play across her lips as she nodded her head.

“Please follow me.” He replied as he gestured her towards a small private room.

Eunmi let out a small sigh as she tried to control her nerves. She wasn’t sure which part she was more nervous about, meeting her potential husband or her father’s wrath if this too, failed. She inhaled deeply before stepping into the room, which was alive with small talk.

She stepped in with her head down. She could hear her fathers voice introduce her, and as if on cue she raised her head, to first look at the woman who sat across her from father. She stood up and gave a friendly smile as she bowed towards Eunmi. Next, she allowed her eyes to peak over at her potential suitor.

She almost stopped dead mid walk. Out of all of the people whom her father had tried to set her up with, he was by the far the most handsome. Never mind the people who her father had tried to set her up with – in general, he was one of the most handsome men she had ever laid eyes on. Suddenly, a wave of guilt washed over her, making her feel sick to her stomach as she recognized the same pain at being put into this kind of situation in his eyes. She also could see by his body language, that he was just doing this to please his mother.

A totally different wave of nausea washed over her now. A wave of terror. She knew that this dinner was not going to end well – her father would not benefit from this meeting at all. This man was completely indifferent to being in the situation and was ready to bail any second. She swallowed hard as she sat down and inclined her head in greeting. became dry from fear.

She was terrified of what her father was going to do to her.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A wee update. Sorry it's been a few days since I updated... I've been sick and bed ridded, and then theres school too. Blah.

Please, if you could be so kind as to lavish me with comments <3 I would love that - they keep me going.

I'm going to try and write an update tonight for you guys. Fingers crossed I feel up to it. (I shall go nap now)

Have a great read!

-A

Oh... and ish or no ? or angst?

Hmm.... who want's so Zico ? ;)