Important

Body Language

His phone buzzed beside him, illuminating the darkened room he was in. He sighed as he removed his headphones and reached over to grab his phone. He had received a text message from his mother.

Mother:

            Be home tonight. Important.

Jiho sighed as he removed is hat and ran a hand through his unkempt hair. He hated going home. It wasn’t because he was on bad terms with his family; it was just being away from them allowed him to do as he wished, whenever he wished.

He was in University – attending one of the best in the country when it came to the arts – and was majoring in music theory and production. He was grateful that his parents allowed him and his brother to peruse their dreams, and he was more than happy doing so. He had excelled in all of his courses, toping the dean’s list with the highest grades in his faculty. He even received several employment offers from big name entertainment companies who were ready to recruit him when he graduated. The fact was, he was good, and everyone wanted a piece of him.

He looked over at his watched and noted the time. It was a Friday, which meant that he normally met up with his friends at the local underground hip-hop bar, to either battle or talk over drinks. Yet he knew that when his mother sent him a message with the one word important he knew that he could not ignore the message.

He rubbed his face in slight annoyance and curiosity, as he began to close down his equipment and exit his recording studio. He wasn’t getting much done to begin with – since he was lacking inspiration for composting new beats and lyrics. Maybe a drive home would generate some anger that he could transmit into his work.

He excited the room and walked to his car, where he drove to his dorm to pick up some clothing for the weekend stay. His parents lived a few hours away from where the University was located, and so, he knew he would most likely have to stay for the evening.

After a few hours drive, Jiho finally arrived to his family house. He came from a rich family who owned several multi million dollar companies, and so naturally, their home was no small feat. He parked his car in front of the door, where another car was and walked in.

As he was about to enter the house, the door opened, to reveal his older brother who was exiting.

“Oh, Jiho – you’re here?” Jiseok asked, slightly surprised. Jiho nodded.

“Yeah, I got a message from mom. Are you leaving?” He asked his brother.

“Yeah, I just have to go pick something up, then I’m coming back.” He said as he jogged over to his car, which was parked in front of Jiho’s.

Jiho nodded and gave a slight wave before entering the house. He set his bag down near the entrance as he walked in, heading straight for the kitchen. He walked in and found his father sitting by the small nook, scrolling through his iPad. He looked up when he noticed Jiho.

“Ah, Jiho-ah, you came.” He said frankly picking up his cup of tea and sipping it. Once again Jiho nodded whilst pulling out a class and pouring himself a glass of water.

“Go see your mother, she’s in her study.” His father stated, looking back down at his iPad. Jiho raised an eyebrow in annoyance, but complied and made his way across the house to his mothers study.

The door was closed when he arrived, so he knocked slightly before entering. When he entered, he saw his mother, sitting at her desk, hand on her chin, deep in thought.

“Hello mom.” He said as he took a seat on one of her plush couches. It was a grand room, with floor to ceiling bookshelves, an old looking fireplace and vintage light fixtures. The room had a dark glow to it, that always made Jiho feel sleepy. He had no idea how his mother was able to get any work done.

“Thank you for coming so quickly Jiho-ah.” His mother replied after a small amount of silence passed. She came over and sat across from Jiho and gave him a warm smile. “You lost too much weight, you should come live back home.” She added pursing her lips.

It was no secret that Jiho was his mother’s favorite. This didn’t mean that she didn’t love her first born, but there was something about Jiho and his personality that made him her favorite.

“Really? I thought I gained weight from all the take out I’ve been eating…” he replied as he cupped his face with both hands. His mother tsked him jokingly.

“So… let’s cut to the chase?” She said with a raised eyebrow, and when Jiho nodded she stood up and went to go stand by one of the windows, looking out onto the backyard.

“I have a favor to ask of you… or rather more of a demand.” She began, and instantly Jiho had a feeling she knew what she was about to propose.

“Mom, if you’re trying to set me up with someone, it’s not going to happen and you know it.” He said jumping in before his mother could reply.

Jiho’s mother turned around and walked over to her desk and picked up a file. She walked over to the couch and sat down as she passed the file to Jiho, who ignored it.

“This isn’t setting you up.” She said. “It’s arranging your marriage.”

Jiho stared at her. His mother had proposed and actually convinced him to go on several dates with other company’s daughters to ensure a good business deal and all ended horribly. The girls were so pretentious and filled with such an ego, that nothing could ever work.

“Marriage?!” Jiho said in a loud voice. “Mom – I’m only 21 for Christ sake!” he exclaimed looking at her wide-eyed.

She heaved a sigh, and put down the file that was in her hands. “I know, I know. But it’s not for the reasons that you think they are.”

“Bull.” He said, suddenly getting angry. His mother looked at him with angry eyes.

“Watch your tongue around me!” She snapped at him. “I have never once lied to you. Now listen.” She said sternly, and Jiho had no other choice but to sit still and listen to his mother, no matter how angry he was.

“This marriage has little to do with business. Mind you – it does, but it is not beneficial in anyway to our corporations.” She said, rubbing her forehead.

“Then why propose this in the first place?” He asked, still engulfed in anger.

“It’s a complicated matter.” She said as she closed her eyes. Suddenly Jiho saw how tired and bothered his mother looked. “If you go along with this marriage, I will have fulfilled my duty to a long time friend.” She said finally opening her eyes. She looked sad and nostalgic.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” He asked, curiosity suddenly sparking.

“Do you remember not that long ago, the founder of Shin Corporations suddenly died?” His mother said, this time sliding the file across the small coffee table that separated them. Jiho looked down at the file briefly then back up at his mother.

“Yeah, Shin Chohee, she died a few months back.” He replied with a furrowed brow.

“Chohee and I were friends since elementary school. Inseparable even, we followed each other in school and we were only separated when she got married to her husband.”

Jiho listened now, curious about the story.

“There are many things that you do not know about Kang Dongmin – many things that I cannot tell you, but one thing for sure is that he is not a good man.” She paused for a few seconds before continuing. “Though we lost contact, we always promised each other to help our children if ever one of us were not around to do so. Of course, we thought that meant in our old age, but circumstances have changed.” She looked up at Jiho with an almost desperate look.

“I know you are not keen on the idea, but could you at least agree to meet her? Have one dinner?” She asked him.

Jiho sat there, looking at his mother and the odd expression that had passed through her face. Never once had he seen his mother look desperate or even pleading. She was always the strong type of woman who stood tall and demanded what she needed.

“Dinner?” He asked.

“Dinner. I will be there, and so will her father.” She nodded her head, a small smile tugging at her lips. Jiho gave a great sigh and nodded his head.

“Fine, you get a dinner and then I will make my decision.” He said as he gave a small nod of his head and stood up, ready to leave the room. A sudden inspiration struck him and he needed his notebook fast.

“Jiho – the dinner is tomorrow.” His mother said with a relieved smile. “Thank you my baby boy. I know I can always count on you.” She gave him a thankful smile and stood up, giving him a hug.

“Alright, I’m going to go get some rest.” He said as he began walking out of the room. Suddenly something clicked in his head and he turned around.

“Mom… what does this girl need help in, that she must be married off?” he asked tilting his head to the side, thinking. “She’s not pregnant is she?” He asked wide-eyed.

“No. She’s not pregnant. The help that she needs is not for me to tell. You will know it just by watching her body language.”

“Body language?” Jiho said with a raised brow. “Don’t tell me she’s a mute!” He whined.

“No, she is not mute. Get some sleep – I will see you in the morning. And for the love of God, stop asking questions!” His mother exclaimed with a small chuckle.

Jiho left the room with horror scenario’s running through his mind. Sleep – what a joke! He thought to himself. He wasn’t going to be getting any tonight.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am begining to doubt my writing skills.

Humph :(

BUT GUYS, BLOCK B COMEBACK ON MY BRITHDAY! BEST GIFT EVER!!

 

Please leave me lots of love (if you like it of course)

<3

-A