Chapter 12

Final Riff

Chapter 12

"Life fails to be perfect, but never fails to be beautiful..."

"You need to sleep..."

Haruna looked up from her guitar and watched as their drummer sat beside her on the floor with a solemn look.

"I can't..."

She whispered and played her guitar once more – practicing the riffs she wasn't supposed to play but now, she has to. Haruna felt warm hands touched her shoulders and willed her to look at Rina once more.

"You must. Haruna, you'll burn out yourself if you don't take a rest," Rina muttered. Worries were written in her face that Haruna shouldn't be providing on the already-stressed woman.

Haruna sighed and slowly let her guitar slip from her hands as Rina took it and placed it on its rack. She sat back down. Haruna didn't think of anything else and just lay her head to Rina's shoulder. The woman didn't protest and let Haruna stay that way for a few minutes.

"What do you think will happen now?" Haruna asked with fear in her voice. She didn't know she was holding her fist tightly until Rina brought her hands to her and held it with the gentleness she could muster.

"I don't know..." She answered truthfully and caressed Haruna's hands that would assume to be soothing the vocalist. It did in some degree but everything she had feared and the gravity of the situation they were all in was much bigger to be soothed with a simple gesture...well, all gestures if it came to that.

"I'm scared..." Haruna suddenly let out. Her voice was so broken she didn't even recognize it as hers. Rina's hands clenched Haruna's hands and brought her free hand to rub Haruna's arm.

"We all are..." She whispered and felt the tears coming down.

"I'm scared...to lose her," Haruna finally admitted and that brought the tears on her eyes to escape. She felt herself shake from all the emotions she felt in the past few hours. They couldn't fathom what will happen now. They were all good before Mami suddenly collapsed again. This time, it was serious and life threatening. They knew that they almost lost her that day...again.

"We won't. She'll be alright," Rina muttered bravely but the unpredictable way the disease seems to crush every hope she had but she didn't let it show as Haruna needs the support she can have from her friends. Haruna was meant to be the strong one and hold it altogether but maybe it was too much already and her body and mind couldn't cope with it any longer.

The two women stayed that way for longer than they should until the exhaustion from all the nights they've practiced and the events that happened just a day ago was finally letting their body submit in the needed rest they should have.

It was in that position that Tomomi and Eisuke found the two in the recording studio. They were meeting up with the crew and tried to talk about what they should do next because the concert was just a few days – two days and a few hours to be exact – but they couldn't find any solution to it. Haruna and Rina left in the middle of the meeting when they couldn't come up with anything. Tomomi and Eisuke stayed and tried their best but all they've thought leads to one thing only – Mami will not be in it anyway.

As the two watched the sleeping women at the room, they've decided to wake them up and persuade them to finally go home and just rest for the day even though there was a lot more work to do.

"Rina, Haruna. Wake up," Tomomi gently shook their shoulders. The two frowned but slowly they've opened their eyes to see a haggard-looking Tomomi.

"Time to go home. We should take the day to rest," She told them. Eisuke told her to do it and she couldn't argue anymore.

"But...we still have a lot of things to do," Haruna was finally waking up and found the gravity of just resting the day to be somewhat ridiculous to do.

"I know...but we couldn't come up with a better idea. I think we should rest for a bit. Maybe we could convince Eisuke to meet up again later tonight and see if our rested minds have yield something," She told them and that earned her a look from the two.

"Who are you and what have you done to Tomomi?" Haruna jokingly asked and that gained them a light chuckle from the bassist.

"Still me...just a more mature version," She smiled and stood up from sitting at the level of the two.

"Now let's go. We should freshen up before we visit Mami," she stated and the atmosphere around them somehow became cold and heavy. It reminded them of the reality they were currently facing but there's nothing more important right now than Mami being safe.

The two nodded and stood up. Their body ached from the angle they have slept on but they didn't mind and went out following Tomomi to their car.

They've all agreed to meet up after a few hours to visit Mami. Once they were home, they let their body succumb to its desire and let everything go for now even for just a few hours.

All the worries seeped out of them once they fell asleep.

~*~*~*~

A few hours later, the three women found themselves staring at the door of Mami's room. No one dared to move to see what was behind those doors but they looked suspiciously out of place in that hospital if they've stayed there for that long.

It was Rina who finally made the move and opened the door to Mami's room.

They were greeted with a view that Mami was looking out the window with a faint smile. At her side – her back facing the girls – was Naomi whose head was down and clutching something in her hand.

"Hey..." Haruna broke what seemed to be happening between the two. Mami looked at them and gave them a smile while Naoki seemed to tense up and wiped her eyes before pulling her bag to her front and stuffing something inside it.

"Good afternoon guys," Mami greeted and looked at Naoki for a second before nodding at her. They seemed to be agreeing something without talking and Naoki finally looked at the three girls.

She was smiling but the girls knew that she might be crying before they came in with her eyes red and still teary.

"Hello girls. Uhm, I'm just finished visiting Mami. I better leave now," She hastily said and stood up from her seat.

"No. Please, don't go. We should catch up," Tomomi announced, alarmed that the older woman seemed to be agitated or completely distressed.

"Maybe some time. Eisuke was asking me to come over the studio. He asked me to do something," Naoki said and looked at Mami once more.

"I'll see you around, Mami." She said before giving her a meaningful look and walked out.

"Well...That was something," Rina muttered and sat down on the chair Naoki was sitting just a while ago.

"She's just...emotional right now," Mami told them and watched as they've settled to their seats.

"I'm sorry for causing you all trouble," Mami said to them once they've all settled down with a sad look on her face. Nobody answered but they only find themselves looking around without meeting Mami's eyes.

"Well...?" Mami asked in a while. She smiled at them but their response was something she doesn't want to see.

The three looked at her with blank stares. Even how hard they try to hide it, Mami could see the resignation in their faces. Her smile faded and she watched their façade crumbled by a minute.

"We...can't," Haruna whispered but loud enough for them to hear.

"We can't do it, Mami..." She added with her voice broken from all the emotions she was trying to hide.

"...Not without you," She finally breathed out and hid the tears that finally broke from her eyes.

Mami could only watch. She doesn't want them to be this broken. She doesn't mean to hurt them but fate seems to have another plan for them.

If only...She thought but brushed it as soon as her mind conjured the words. Mami already accepted everything and nothing can be done with it.

Without saying a word, she held their vocalist's hands and forced her to look at her – a bitter smile grace her face.

"Everything's going to get better. I promise," She told them but they didn't look as convinced as she wished them to be. She tried harder.

"The concert will be fine. I know you guys can pull it through...even without me. You just – "

"It's not all about the concert, Mami!" Tomomi said with a raised voice.

"I couldn't imagine losing someone who I've practically grew up with just like that..." Tomomi broke out and Mami couldn't hide the pain she also felt but it was something she can't undo.

"I know you don't want this too...but..." Tomomi let out a frustrated sigh, "...why does life to be so unfair..." She let out. Haruna and Rina agreed and watched as their guitarist looked down at her hands.

"Life is unfair..." Mami whispered, "...but life also brought much more than this."

The three watched as slowly, tears made its way to Mami's cheeks.

"I've experienced a lot. Happiness, pain, anger, sadness..." She started and then a grateful smile curved to her pale lips. "...but most of all, I've got to experience to be alive in all the things I've been through," She said that brought a confusion to the other three's faces.

"You'll never truly know living if you haven't experienced it all," She said and now looked at her friends.

"Thank you...for being there for me and experiencing everything with me," She added.

"Don't you dare tell us you're telling goodbye because I'll be really pissed at you right now," Rina added while crying her eyes out. Mami thought it was funny though and she let out a chuckle.

"No, no I'm not," She said in between laugh and wiped the tears from her eyes. Mami now have a genuine smile on her face even though her eyes were still watery. "I'm just being grateful and I think it was perfect timing to say them." She told them.

With a sigh Mami clapped her hands trying to dispel the negativity inside the room and grinned at three.

"So...What's the plan? It will better be big because I don't settle for any less," Mami said to them and watched them with an excited look on her face. The three tried to smile for her and for a while they did and started talking nonsense even though it was not true.

Tomomi said that there will be a large firework at the intro of their concert followed by a very loud bass intro from her. Rina added that she'll be matching Tomomi's rhythm with her drums and even said that Haruna could do some head banging and shouting at the top of her lungs. That earned her a smack on the head for making fun of her. Mami and Tomomi only laughed and even tried imagining Haruna jumping into the crowd. It would be fun to see and might be a really good experience for them.

The talk lasted for hours...even though how silly it was and so unreal they didn't mind and just let the happy conversation continue. It was not until early evening and that Mami was too tired already that they've decided to go. With reluctance, they've said goodbye to Mami and went out of the hospital.

They didn't talk for a while and choose to walk in silence. They were all thinking of what just happened and what they should do on their concert without their guitarist until an idea ran to their mind. The three finally understood it and slowly, their pace came to a halt and they were avoiding each other's eyes. It was Haruna who bravely stepped forward and looked at the other two with a serious look on her face.

"I think I know what to do now," She said and the two understood and nodded their head.

"We better meet up with Eisuke and the crew if we wanted this to be perfect," She said with a smile on her face and the two reflected her expression.

"Sure. We can't disappoint anyone," Rina added with slyness in her voice. The other two only grinned and after calling Eisuke, they've made their way to the studio with their decision finally made.

It would be the biggest one and they knew it will change everything.

~*~*~*~

Mami quietly stared outside her window. A day passed since her serious talk with the girls and they haven't visited her yet because of their busy schedule but they still call her when they have the time.

She sighed. The concert will be just a day more and she couldn't help but feel nervous for the sake of her band. So lost in her thoughts, she did not notice her door opening.

"Why with such a long face, Mami?" Asked by a certain someone that she definitely knew and without a second, a smile grace her once depressed look.

"Tamotsu..." She said and watched as her older brother strode to where she was and gave her a big hug but still minding the tube in her chest.

"I miss you so much, Mami," He told her as he squeezed her once more before pulling out of the hug.

"I miss you too," Mami replied and offered Tamotsu a seat beside her bed.

"How's my sister?" Tamotsu playfully asked and brought his hands to her hair.

"Still good, brother. What about you?" She asked but Tamotsu only shrug.

"Still the same. I'll be back to the camp again next week," He told her and watched his sister nodded on his words.

"But I'll be here accompanying you until then so we'll have fun!" He chuckled followed by Mami.

"Your definition of fun is not really my kind of thing though," Mami said but Tamotsu only laughed harder.

"Oh you're going to regret that," He jokingly told her.

"By the way, the concert will be tomorrow..." He stared and watched as Mami's face fall but she tried to smile about it.

"Yeah...I know. I'm nervous for my friends," She told him truthfully.

"They'll be fine. They're professionals..." Tamotsu reassured her.

"I know," Mami whispered and looked down at her hands.

"Do you know what they're going to do?" Tamotsu asked but Mami only shook her head.

"They were busy preparing at the last minute so I haven't talked to them that much but by the looks of it, they've finally know what to do," Mami explained to him.

"That's good." Tamotsu replied. He hesitated on the next words he was about to ask but Mami knew him enough that she forced him to tell her what's on his mind.

"W-What will you do...tomorrow?" He asked with hesitation on his eyes. Mami returned the look but she doesn't know what she will do.

"I'll just watch their show tomorrow in the television. Eisuke was kind enough to drop the equipment for me to be able to see everything tomorrow," Mami said as she gestured to the sophisticated equipment on the room and ready for tomorrow's show.

"Then I'll have a free viewing tomorrow," Tamotsu said that made a smile on Mami's face.

"That's so not fair..." She rolled her eyes but chuckled at her brother.

"We'll find something to do tomorrow," Tamotsu meaningfully told her. He knew that Mami was sad that she couldn't even go out of the hospital to watch the concert in person but she will take whatever it was given to her and she was contented to that.

They've talked for a while and watched television, even they've played with Mami's PS as Tamotsu brought it with him. The talk about tomorrow was lost and not touched again until it was finally time for them to sleep.

Mami thought hard and long but there's nothing she could do. She smiled though because even though she was not there on their big event, she was proud that her band was able to make a fit like this. With that thought, she finally calmed down and let the happy thoughts ran to her dreams. That's all she could ask for and she didn't dare to ask for more.

~*~*~*~

The world stands still but at the same time, it seemed to move too fast for their taste. It was confusing and utterly ridiculous for their part but it was something they were waiting for in a long time. This moment would make a great impact on their history of their band life after all.

Deep breaths...

They've chanted inside their head as they've held each other's hands. The three formed a circle, praying and keeping the silent disposition around them to consume their souls. Slowly, they've opened their eyes and watched each other's movement before a smile graced their faces.

"I love you, guys..." Rina broke the tranquil atmosphere as the emotions overwhelmed her already.

"Ditto..." Haruna muttered and directed the words to her two companions inside the room.

"Oh the sappiness of the situation!" Tomomi exclaimed but tears were already overwhelming her. "Love you to, my favorite people in the world." She added.

They laughed at Tomomi's silliness but tears flowed in their eyes. They didn't mean it but there's nothing that they couldn't do.

"Look what you've done!" Haruna playfully told Tomomi while wiping her eyes and laugh on their ridiculousness.

"Oh shut it...damn, my make-up will be ruined!" Rina said and tried to dub the tears from her face.

They laughed freely and stared at each other like it was the last moment. Smiles graces their faces and a knowing look was exchanged before the tranquility was broken by a knock on the door.

“Girls…it’s time,” Eisuke said with solemnity of his voice. The three nodded and went out the quiet room to be greeted by the heavy chatters of the audience outside. The three moved with grace; each was given a smile, a nod and even a hug from the crew that grew over the years.

Once the girls reached the stairs that will lead them to the stage, they’ve stopped for a minute and looked back at the faces they’ve come to know all those years. Without saying a word, they’ve formed a circle…something that they were so used to since they’ve began.

They’ve looked around and instantly notice the missing person in their group. Even if that was the case, they’ve smiled at each other knowing that she’ll be watching from her hospital bed.

“I think Eisuke should do the shout today,” Haruna muttered and everyone looked at the manager with expectant eyes.

He was surprised at first but then washed it away with a complete determination in his face.

“On three,” He said. Without another word, their hands joined in the middle. Their voices were quickly drowned by the excited cheers of the crowd that was evoked by an excited fan who thought he saw something by the stage. It happens most of the time but even though their voices were drowned by the cheers, the words they’ve uttered remained loud in their souls.

With a final look, Eisuke gave everyone the orders to take their places and started the sequence of the concert.

Taking a deep breath, the three girls stood straight – instruments at their hands – and started walking forward, where the lights shines the best and where everyone could see them.

The show started and the countdown has finally come to its finest hour.

~*~*~*~

Mami was a wreck sitting there as she watched her bandmates take their stand at the stage. No flashy or dramatic entrance and what stunned her most was that they were wearing their everyday clothes; something that was never done in their history of concerts. They would always come up with matching or themed clothes but tonight they seemed to abandoned that thought. Mami was nervous about it but also excited because the girls seemed to be at ease with their clothes and movements.

“Now that is something different,” Mami heard Tamotsu remarked on what they were wearing and instantly glad that she was not the only one noticing. They’ve remained silent after that as they’ve watched the three women take their places and smiled at the expectant crowd.

“Are you ready for us, Tokyo Dome!!!” Haruna shouted with so much enthusiasm that Mami felt she was also there. A resounding yes came to the crowd and once the excitement died down, a loud bang from the drums followed by Tomomi’s bass resounded the whole dome.

“Well…if that’s the case, get ready to get your minds blown because that is what we’re intent to do all night!” Haruna muttered and started playing her guitar crazily. The crowd swayed to the music and even Mami was fascinated on what she was watching that she leaned closer to the television without knowing.

“Unbelievable…” She muttered and Tamotsu heard her. He looked at Mami’s direction for once and knew how much she was addicted to the performance.

Mami was so engrossed that she did not notice Hiromi and Naoki coming into the room. Tamotsu acknowledge their presence and offered them a seat as they’ve watched the concert in silence.

Mami was silent for the entire ten minutes of the show. She was happy that it was going great but she also feels sad that she couldn’t be there even for the last time. She brushed the thought away and watched the concert while slowly nodding her head in rhythm to the music.

It was surreal to be on the other side of the stage but she enjoyed it and relaxed as the concert go on.

Everything was going smoothly…

And she couldn’t ask for more…

~*~*~*~

As the last note of their fourth song died and the loud cheers of the crowd ensues, the three girls were panting hard from the exertion of playing upbeat and non-stop songs that could drain their energy into nothing if they weren’t experienced. They’ve left a couple of minutes to take control of their breathes before Haruna moved to the microphone and looked at the expectant crowd in front of her.

“Are you having a great night?” She asked and the crowd cheered. She let them for a few seconds before talking again.

“I know we’re short of one-member tonight…” She spoke and the crowd was instantly got silent by her words.

“…but that doesn’t mean we’ll not give our best on this concert.” She added and the crowd gave an appreciative response. “She’s watching right now if you ask me and boy, she’s going to kick our if this concert fail.” Everyone laughed. Haruna let them for a minute.

Looking at her bandmates, she felt a tug in her heart that maybe it’s time to announce their biggest news yet and that she shouldn’t beat around the bush.

“But enough of that…” She started and took the microphone from the stand.

“I have an announcement to make,” Haruna thought her voice broke but it did not as it sounded confident and strong.

“It may come as a surprise but the decision was already brought so many times in the past that I think you guys might have felt it already coming.” She said and watched as the crowd turned dead silent. It gave her the courage to say the next words but without turning to her bandmates first and looked for their approving nod. They did and even went to her side as a sign of support.

“With a heavy heart…” Haruna broke. It seemed the confidence she gained was not enough, “…but with a clear mind…” She added. “…We would like to announce the disbandment of the band tonight.” The words bounced inside the dome like an unwanted thing and once that it sunk to the receivers’ perception, protests and anger was spouted to the band. They let them be for a minute. Turning the magical night into a nightmare for fans but that was reality for the band itself. At least they’ve thought of.

“We know it was not supposed to be this way and it was really a wrong time to announce it…” Another loud cries from the fans ensues but Haruna kept her voice strong, “…but it was probably time for us to finally break up and stop acting like everything will be fine and better.” She said in a loud voice for the audience to hear. They’ve stopped at that point and looked with a confused face at the band in front of them, wanting an explanation to what they’ve told.

“As you might have notice, we’re not doing great for the past few years…” Rina finally spoke for the first time since the concert. Her eyes were starting to tear but she kept it at bay as she needed to let her words be heard.

“And personally, I think it was just getting worst if we push it. We’re not the same with one of our member is gone and I don’t think I could play another song knowing there’s a sound missing in our group.” She said and felt the words weigh to the audience.

“It was a hard decision,” Tomomi added. “But it was the right thing to do. For us…I think we’ve come to our terms and finally knew that it was time…” Tomomi’s hands shook but she let her words as strong as she could, “…It was time for us to find our own paths.”

“With that said…” Haruna muttered, “I wish you all could accept this decision even if it was just a short notice. Mami officially left the band a few days ago because of her condition and we knew – from experience before – we could not make it again.”

“With that in our mind, this is the perfect opportunity to say goodbye to everyone. The ones who have supported us are here today to celebrate such great event in our life.” Tomomi declared.

“Our hearts will be always being thankful to you all because we get the chance in our life to make our dreams come true and to share it all to you amazing people,” Rina faltered and tears finally sprang from her eyes.

“No words could amount how grateful we are and how sorry that we ruin your night with this announcement,” She added and left for the other two to finish.

“But that doesn’t mean we will not give you our best show ever because we’re fully intent to give the best concert of your life until we couldn’t raise our hands to play our instruments.” Haruna said and finally the crowd started responding to them. They were crying and still upset to their announcement but seemed like some were giving them encouragements.

“You’ll curse us after this but we just want to let this all out tonight,” Tomomi told them and waited until the crowd settles downs.

“With that…if you don’t want to hear from us anymore, we’ll accept your decision and refund if we must…” The crowd let a resounding irritation that kept the girls’ hearts heavy. “…But, if you still find it in you to stay…then we’ll play our best and entertain you guys for one last time.” Haruna muttered and chaos finally ensues the dome. Everyone was in turmoil but the girls accept the harsh words their fans were throwing at them right now but it was to be expected. They will be like them if they were the fans but it was a decision they wanted to stick with. Minutes drag on like that and it seemed no end. The atmosphere was thick and the once cheering crowd was now condemning the band and questioning them from their decision. Some were already leaving, not wanting to stay another minute but some stayed.  

It was small at first in the sea of protests…They’ve seen a door opened from the audience-side but thought that it was only the leaving crowd. Then they’ve noticed it…one by one, the rows started silencing…the protests turned to loud gasps and then followed by whispers. Their eyes followed a movement at the center and the crowd parted to make way.

The girls couldn’t see what caused the phenomenon. The lights were too blinding that they couldn’t see what’s in front of them until the whispers suddenly got loud enough for them to finally understand what was happening.

 

“…Mami…” The whispers said. Shocked to find the missing member in the midst of an angry crowd.

“…It’s Mami…” An excited fan exclaimed but the shock was still among the crowd until a small group of people reached the stage.

The three girls in front were flabbergasted to see Tamotsu, Hiromi, Naoki and in the middle they were protecting Mami. Pushed by a wheelchair, the three girls looked at the hallowed eyes and tears running from Mami’s face. It took a lot of time for the group to reach the top of the stage until they were level with the band.

Ashamed looks crossed the three women but they were more concerned on Mami’s health to let her be there.

“Mami, what are you doing here?” Haruna started and was about to come closer but Mami held her hand up stopping her.

Mami stood up from her wheelchair…weak but with every determination to stand while holding on to her brother’s and Hiromi’s arms for support. She was wearing a patient’s gown under her thick jacket but that doesn’t seem to deter her.

“What are you doing?” She asked with a weak voice but the three heard her.

“What must have been done a long time ago,” Haruna answered.

“Leave just like that? What are you thinking? You’ve got a whole lot of career to continue!” Mami said but with caution. She couldn’t push herself that much if she wish to get through with her bandmates way of thinking.

“We don’t. It’s the end for us too. Nothing could be done,” Rina told her and looked at the other two.

“But…I…You guys were…” Mami asked confused. She sat back to her wheelchair not knowing what to expect from her bandmates.

The three went to her side and kneeled beside her and clutched her hands with theirs.

“I don’t understand. You love this job. Why would you quit?” Mami asked, her eyes full of confusion.

“Don’t tell me it was because of me. I would never live with that thought,” She asked with fear in her voice but the three shook their heads.

“Never. We’ve just realized how things should be and that this kind of life is not what it’s supposed to be. We’ve started as four, don’t you think it would be fitting to be remembered as a band just that?” Haruna told her.

“We still love the job. Just our priorities got different. We think it’s time to try something else, don’t you think? Life is short to not explore it,” Tomomi added and the other two agreed to what she said.

“Music will always be with us even if we’re not together anymore. We have a lot more of meaning to our friendship and this one is just one of them. Even if we disbanded, we’ll still see each other, right?” Rina answered and watched as Mami’s shook her head in confusion.

“But why does it feel like it was my fault?” She asked and at this time they’ve hugged her. “It wasn’t. Life just and everything just don’t go as we planned but we try to make the most of it.”  Haruna whispered and felt her eyes pricked with tears.

“Right now, we’re making the most of it,” Rina muttered and let go and watched as the crowd silently looked at them.

“It was a rush decision it seemed, to announce it right now, right here in our biggest stage but we think it was the right time and place to do it with all the people we loved and cared for in one place. To hear it from us and not from the media.” She added and looked back at Mami.

“You see, this is as personal as we can get to them at this point. At the end of the day, we’re still us. Minus the popularity and what comes with it.” Mami looked and tried to understand until her eyes met the largest crowd she had seen and understood the point they were making. No other bands have ever got the chance to announce such an important news to their fans this close. She laughed on a sudden thought and the three looked at her in confusion. “Go with a bang eh? You guys really did one,” She said and looked back at them with a soft smile.

“Thank you. Even for the last time, you didn’t let me go…” She told them.

“Well…you could still do that bang-thing if we get you out of those gown,” Tamotsu interjected.

“What are you talking about?” Mami asked. She doesn’t want to believe what she thought Tamotsu was saying.

“They’re expecting, Mami…” He said and made a pointed look at the crowd before turning his eyes to her.

“Don’t you think they deserve a final song from the four of you? After all, you’re all here and just standing at the stage.” He playfully said but seriousness was in his voice.

“B-But I don’t think I can play,” Mami questioned but then Hiromi started pushing her wheelchair to the backstage.

“If there’s a will, there’s a way. If there’s still nothing, then just have fun,” She said. Mami looked back at the three and they gave her the thumbs up and telling her that they will wait for her at the stage.

She got nervous but then got excited. Like nothing could stop her. Not even her illness. The crew gathered by her and welcomed her like she was never been gone. They’ve donned her with clothes she usually wears and put her make up. Even the tube in her chest was placed carefully by Hiromi so that it will not get pulled on to and made sure it was safely tucked away.

Once the fuzz was over, Tamotsu finally emerged from the side. Afraid that he’ll get in anyone’s way but now that she was completely dressed, he took his chance and walked to his sister.

“Hey…” He said and smiled at the glowing face of his sister.

“Time to let your inner rock-goddess go,” He joked and was glad that Mami found it funny.

“Yeah…if only I could play as half as I used to,” She answered sadly but Tamotsu swatted it with a hand.

“Nonsense. You’ll do good and just have fun. This will be the last time so make the most of it,” He said and Mami finally smiled her genuine one. “Thank you…for everything…” She said and gave her brother a hug.

“Oh. One more thing, before I forgot.” Tamotsu pulled from the hug and took something from under the table on what seemed like a guitar casing.

“A new guitar?” Mami asked but then something familiar about the case made her wonder.

“No. Not really…” Tamotsu said and opened the case.

In Mami’s surprise, she let out a gasp and looked at the content inside with wide eyes.

The familiar black guitar with the ice-cream designed was lying perfectly at the velvety guitar case and she could not fathom if it was the same guitar she had lost at the sea.

“I-is that…” She started but couldn’t find the words.

“It is. It took me so long to finally find it…and a lot of money to fix it, but here it is…” Tamotsu scratched his neck, a little bit ashamed. “Actually, it doesn’t sound like it used to. Being under the water would surely break it and everyone said that I just buy a new one…” He looked at Mami’s wondering eyes. “…But I know there’s nothing could replace this one.” He ended and saw Mami’s eyes swam with tears.

“It is. The memories with it is priceless,” She said and looked at her brother with appreciation.

“I couldn’t say how much thankful I am right now,” She said but Tamotsu only shrugged. “Well it doesn’t sound as good if you play it.” He said but Mami only shook her head.

“It’s perfect.” She said as she took the guitar to her hands. The familiar strings and heaviness of the guitar welcomed her and she felt it was perfect. She tried playing it and knew exactly what her brother meant but for her it was still perfect. Just like her, the guitar is beyond repair but still it was still there; she was still there.

With one last glance, she stood up and took a deep breath. In every small step, she felt everything was right in that moment.

The warm lights finally greeted her and she stood with her bandmates for one last time with the worn out guitar in her hand.

She was greeted with warm smiles by her bandmates. The familiar tingle ran down their spines and the problems seemed to dissolve in that moment.

For one last time, they gave it all. For it may be the last one but it would be the most memorable one.

Mami made a miracle appearance and with it, the hope for a better future for them to come.

For it may be seemed as it was her final riff…it was a beginning of a new melody filling up their next chapter.