Chapter 10

Final Riff

WARNING: MENTAL WRITER AHEAD...Please excuse the sudden craziness (^^;)

~*~*~*~

"The battles that count aren't the one with gold medals. The struggle within yourself – the invisible, inevitable battles inside all of us – that's where it's at.

-Jesse Owens

Sitting alone beside the large rocks where everything seemed to have started, Tamotsu looked at the sun setting beyond the horizon. He can feel the crisp chill blowing in from the nearby shore. The sense of tranquility is perfect. The calmness was somehow telling him that everything is okay.

The place was something where one can enjoy the panoramic view of the sea. Who wouldn't have thought that it was a place where Tamotsu experienced a tragic event in his life?

Taking the view in and watching as the waves roll to the shore, Tamotsu had decided to finally leave. Standing up, he brushed his pants clean and with a final look at the sea, he started walking away.

Tamotsu stopped after walking for a few feet and looked back to where he sat. For a moment, he thought he saw Mami looking at the sea just like he had remembered from before. Blinking away the tiredness in his eyes, the vision was lost and replaced by an empty space.

We're going home now, Tamotsu whispered to no one. With one last look, he walked away, looking down at his hands. A small smile plastered in his face.

~*~*~*~

Haruna settled on one of the big amplifiers in the room with her lake placid blue guitar in her hand. She couldn't be bothered to look for a proper stool to sit on as her hands itch to play a song in her mind. Once the guitar's strap was safely put around her body, she started strumming and plucking the notes of some untitled song.

The song started out as a ballad one but the more Haruna strums her guitar, the more the chords turned heavy and a bit more complicated to become a ballad. Haruna didn't mind though and just let her hands roam around the neck of her guitar and just pausing once in a while when she thought the notes doesn't fit to the song.

"I think that'll do it," She whispered and started jotting down the notes to her song. It kept up for almost half an hour before Haruna looked at the progress of her work.

Sitting on an amplifier leaves her in an uncomfortable angle does her back started to sore. She stretched for a bit but didn't move and kept on writing what her mind tells her until a rough draft of the song was finally done. Haruna smiled at her work and playing it as a whole to find some places needed to be fixed before she could show it to anyone else.

Content enough, however, she put a sign on the top of the page, marking it as one of the potential songs she will be introducing with her band mates and manager. She had written a couple of songs already but Haruna only had two that she was confident enough to be heard and that includes her current work.

Composing and playing music has become a second nature to her, and she can't imagine ever being unable to hold a guitar and singing at her heart's content to the world she had created with music.

That thought was so abrupt and out of her that she stopped all of a sudden in strumming her guitar. She never meant to think about it but now that it is out on her consciousness, she can't help but dwell on the thought.

Haruna looked around her. The studio was as always as it like. Equipment and gears were all over the place. Guitars were on their respective racks and the drums just behind everything else and a lot of wirings on the floor that was neatly placed for them not to trip.

It was a sight to behold for a musician and an environment she was used too. For a couple of years, it was her base...her second home to say at least, and the thought of leaving it in the future caused an unsettling feeling in her chest.

She thought about that one person that might be feeling this right now but quickly dismissed it. Haruna sighed and placed her guitar back to its rack before taking all her music sheets and stuffing it back to her bag.

Making sure that the studio was kept and in order, she left the room and headed outside the room.

"Hey Haruna."

Someone had greeted her and she nod at him as a reply.

Once in a while, someone would stop and talk to her and she would entertain them for a second. Most of them were asking about their band's activities, some were asking how she was doing.

She would answer them politely and would even ask how their day goes. After all the talks, she was finally able to exit the building. Waiting alone outside the building, finally, a taxi stopped in front of her and she hurriedly goes in it.

"Where at, miss?" The driver asked Haruna.

Just before she could say her destination to the driver, she received a text message and a smile instantly shown at her face. She looked at the driver once more and said the place where she would go and then she settled down to her seat.

It took only a few minutes to get to where she needed to be. She swiftly exited the cab after handing her payment to the driver.

Once the cab was gone, she looked at the house in front of her. It became her and her other band mates to drop by once in a while in that simple home and this time around, it seemed like the other two came together. All that was left was Haruna and so they've decided to text her to meet up.

Coming closer to the gate, she hasn't even pressed the doorbell yet but someone had already opened the main door for her.

"Haruna!" A cheeky greeting told her who it was and she instantly directed a smile to the person.

"Seems like someone's excited to see me," She playfully said but the other one only laughed.

"Don't be too full of yourself. Let's go! They're waiting!" The girl said and instantly pulled Haruna inside the house.

Once inside, she was hit instantly of the smell of baked cookies. It was warm and sweet that Haruna found herself craving for the cookies.

"Yep. I know how you feel. It is heavenly right now in here," Tomomi said and just then she breathed in the heavenly smell before letting out a sigh of satisfaction.

"I'm going to get one!" She announced and instantly darted to the kitchen.

"Hey! I'm not done with them!" Haruna heard the irritated voice of Rina then a running Tomomi who was yelling 'sorry' even though she doesn't mean it. Haruna chuckled and walked to the kitchen only to find a fuming Rina and a woman who was busy laughing too at the situation.

"Hello Rina and Mrs. Sasazaki," She greeted and the other two directed their attention to the woman.

"Oh! Haruna, it's nice that you could finally join us," The woman, who turned out to be Mami's mother said.
 

"Yeah, I'm sorry. I was kind of busy today," She said and instantly looked at their drummer.

"Looks like Tomomi got you again huh," she joked and Rina only glared at her.

"Yeah. Well can't do anything about it. Care to help me put the rest of the cookies in the plate?" Rina asked as she motioned at the trays of cookies needed to be placed.

"Sure," She accepted and instantly helped her.

Once they were done, which took longer than the task requires itself since they've started chatting with each other, they've picked the plates full of cookies into Mami's room which was on the second floor of the house.

They've opened it and found Tomomi and Mami playing with a console. Curses could be heard between the two and they didn't even notice that Haruna and Rina came in.

"Come on! That was totally unnecessary. This dude didn't even see me coming and then someone just stabbed me from the back? Damn it and this game's glitches!" Tomomi complained but still kept her eyes on the game.

"If you had looked closely, there's another guy waiting in the shadows. Tomomi, you're such a bad player!" Mami commented and pressed the buttons much harder than the controller should handle.

"Yeah, whatever. Who's lagging behind anyways," Tomomi snorted but all she got was a smack on her head.

"What the – Oh hey Rina!" She nervously said once she met Rina's glare.

"That's for the cookies earlier," Rina snapped and sat down on Mami's bed.

"Hey, Haruna. Glad you made it," Mami commented and then kept her eyes to the game.

"Yeah. By the way, you're looking good," Haruna said as she noticed that Mami's once pale and thin face has finally getting color and flesh in them.

"Thanks. All I need to do is stuff myself with my mom's cooking, which I'm glad to do, and a lot of sleep. Best. Times. Ever," She sarcastically said but a playful smile kept at her face.

"Aaw, I wish I could eat your mom's cooking too. I love everything she cooks," Rina muttered.

"Good then. You're all invited for dinner. Err, well since Eisuke seemed to have something important to tell us. Rina, can you pass me a cookie, please?" Mami absentmindedly told them. Rina on the other hand put a cookie in Mami's mouth.

"Thanks," Mami muttered as she chewed on the cookie.

"Eisuke did? I wonder what it is," Haruna said and watched as the other two struggling to get to the end of the game. An hour passed with them just talking, playing and eating the cookies Rina and Mami's mother had baked when finally, the two gave up on the game and focused at the other two women in the room.

"That's it. I'm over with this game," Mami yawned and rubbed her aching eyes.

"Good because it's almost dinner time," Mami's mother came in suddenly and watched the four sitting around the room.

"Eisuke just called, he said he's on his way. I'll be preparing the table by then. Come down in a minute or two, okay?" She said to the four and they obliged.

"Haruna, can you pass my crutches?" Mami pointed at the said item and Haruna quickly retrieved them.

"Here," She said while helping Mami to stand up from her seat. Once she was able to hold the crutches, they've all slowly made their way outside the room and gingerly supported Mami as they've went down the stairs.

"Where's Tamotsu, by the way?" Haruna asked innocently but the other three looked at her with a mischievous grin.

"W-What?" Haruna stuttered but the grin of the other three seemed to only get bigger.

"Nothing. He's back on the camp for now. He said he'll come back soon," Mami answered and observed Haruna's reaction on what she said.

"Miss him already?" Mami couldn't help but add and that caused a blush to run from Haruna's cheeks.

"N-No! Is it wrong to ask?" She defended but the three only raised their brows. Haruna shook her head to them and looked everywhere except to the three.

"Geez, Mami. Don't you think it is weird to ship your brother to one of your friends?" Haruna said, still red from what Mami had just said.

"Shippers gotta ship," Tomomi offered followed by a hearty laugh from Mami and Rina. Haruna doesn't even know what to say and she just watched exasperated to the three.

"It's okay, Haruna. We can't stop who we fall for," Mami said after finally recovering from Tomomi's comment. "Besides, I don't ship you two. I think you're already an item." She added and that caused the blush on Haruna's face to brighten.

"We're not. Stop it. Urgh, let's just go to dinner and get this over it," Haruna skidded and went to the kitchen as fast as she can.

"There goes our leader. Hah! I bet she's still in denial," Rina said once Haruna was out of sight.

"Can't be help. My brother's not helping too."

"What if we set them up?" Tomomi suggested.

"Nah, they'll get around if ever. Besides, it's still weird for me to know that there's something with those two. I mean, I know about my brother's crush on Haruna but for Haruna to return it? Still can't get my mind on it," Mami told them.

"I guess so. Next thing we know, you'll be calling her Nee-san," Rina thoughtlessly said and that earned her the attention of the two.

"Well that's an idea," Tomomi said and laughed at the opened mouth of Mami.

"Uhm...hmm...I haven't thought about that," Mami knitted her brows in concentration but shrug it instantly when they've reached the dining room.

Haruna was already busy helping Mami's mother in preparing the table. Everything was almost set and all the other girls have to do is sit down and wait for Eisuke. They didn't wait long though since after the last dishes were placed in the table, the doorbell rang and in came Eisuke.

Shrugging his thick coat off and hanging it, he went straight to the kitchen were all the girls were waiting. Pleasantries were exchanged and everyone just fell into a carefree talk. The place was radiating with warmth. Everything felt right and everyone was having a good time together.

As the dinner progressed and they were all on their desserts, Eisuke chose to break the good news to the girls. Taking a drink from his glass, he cleared his throat for the others to focus only on him and as soon as everyone's attention was on him, he looked them in the eyes with him trying to hide the smile in his face.

"Girls, what do you think of having a reunion?" He started and the four in question looked at him, puzzled.

"Great? That would be good," Haruna replied for them all.

"How about the whole staff? Not just the usual one but I mean the huge one. It would be great, right?" He hinted again and the four exchanged a confused look.

"Well, I haven't heard and seen most of them after a long time. I think it would be great," Mami answered.

"Cool. Oh then how about packing some things and chillin' the studio?" He playfully raised his eyebrows and his smirk was now full blown.

"Considering we're a band, that is just expected, Eisuke. What are you up to?" Rina can't help but asked and Eisuke leaned back to his seat and shrug his shoulder feigning ignorance on Rina's question.

"Oh nothing. It's just that I thought you'll be delighted to do some grueling work and practice in the next few months," He said and drank from his glass again.

The girls were now raising their brows from his statements. Ever since Mami was hospitalized, the band's activities were halted and only some minor guesting was done by the girls, not including Mami though because of her condition. Eisuke seemed to be hiding something and he was not willing to give it that easy to the girls.

"Okay, what is it? We know that your nose flare when you're lying, Eisuke," Tomomi said which made Eisuke clamped to his nose.

"My nose doesn't flare when I'm lying!" He defended but everyone just laughed at Tomomi's comment.

"Oh look at that! It did it again! Come on, don't hide it. I think it's cute," Tomomi teased which made their manager blush furiously.

"Tomomi, I swear sometimes you don't see me as your manager. How old are you, anyway? It's been years that we've worked together and you still don't respect me," Eisuke groaned but Tomomi only shrugged it.

"I'm old enough to do and decide what I want to do. So tell me, Eisuke, how old are you? It seems like you're the one playing games with us," Tomomi smirked and it seemed that the tables were turned.

Eisuke was surprised on Tomomi and was about to reply but he was only manage to open his mouth and close it again awkwardly as he tried to think for a reply. Everyone was amused to see such reaction. It seemed like just the good old days as they interact with each other.

They've heard Eisuke cursed under his breath and then let out a sigh and looked at the girls with a serious look. It went for a few seconds. No one speak as they've waited for the manager to tell them what he was up to but he didn't utter a word. Just as the others started getting restless and was about to break the silence, the doorbell rang shocking everyone in the process except for Eisuke who seemed to be expecting it.

His smile grew and relaxed on his seat again, not taking his eyes off from the four women in front of him.

"Just right on time," He said. No one moved, still confused until the doorbell rang again waking them up from their deep thoughts.

"Coming!" Mami's mother said before going to the door.

The four women watched the small doorway curiously, not knowing what to come. All they've heard was a slight gasp coming from Mami's mother and started ushering the guest in with such a delighted urgency.

"Come in! Come in! It's been a long time," They've heard from the hall. They couldn't hear what the person had answered back since it was soft.

They waited for that someone to come into view and once the person came in they were shock. Surprisingly, two people came in the dining room along with Mami's mother with a polite grin on their faces.

"Good evening, everyone. Sorry for the late notice. I hope you don't mind us joining you guys tonight."

"Nonsense! We need you guys anyway. Have a sit," Eisuke guided the two guests and the others just watched in surprise but once they've recovered, they've smiled and reassured the other two that it was a pleasant surprise to have them there.

"Naoki, Hiromi, it has been a long time! How are you guys?" Mami asked since she was the closest to the two of them. Mami haven't heard from Naoki from a long time, while Hiromi, the nurse that took care of her while she was on the ICU, and became her friend when she was staying at the hospital. They were still having some communication but they haven't met in person again after a long time.

"We're good. I'm still working on the ICU. Work is good," Hiromi replied.

"Work's been good to me too. I'm managing a new act right now," Naoki said and gave them a warm smile.

"If you don't mind me asking this, it's just suspicious that Eisuke was about to tell us something important and you guys came in just in time. I mean, it's good to see you guys again but are you part of Eisuke's scheme?" Tomomi questioned wearily. Naoki and Hiromi can't help but chuckle on Tomomi's suspicion.

"It's not a scheme, Tomomi. I bet you'll love Eisuke after this," Hiromi said.

"She's right and yeah, you're right. We're part of Eisuke's plan but I'm really grateful since it means I'll be working with you guys again," Naoki added.

"Working with us? Eisuke, what is it?" Rina now put her attention to their smiling manager. His smile grew though and clasped his hands before directing his gaze to the four women.

"Let's just say...dust off your instruments, pack them up along with your clothes and stuff because in the next few months, you'll be practicing like hell for the upcoming big event," He excitedly said and watched as their faces started to get on what was about to happen.

"You don't mean..." Haruna trailed off and Eisuke couldn't contain his excitement then.

"Prepare yourselves. We're going to Tokyo Dome."

*~*~*~

"Uwaah! Don't you think it's too cold right now?" Tomomi asked as she rubbed her arms.

"Damn, that practice took longer than we have anticipated," Haruna muttered.

"But it was fun! Don't you think, Mami?" Rina asked at the gloomy Mami. She didn't reply enthusiastically and just kept her head down all the time they were walking.

The three looked at each other before directing their attention to Mami.

"Hey, you okay?" Haruna said and put a hand on Mami's shoulder. She only gave her a weak smile and shrugged.

"Don't look down! You're improving every day. That's all that matters," Rina tried to encourage Mami but she only kept her eyes on the road.

"The concert's growing near. I don't know if I'll make it," Mami whispered but the three heard it. They all stopped and held Mami's shoulder for her to stop with them.

"Haven't you notice? You're walking with us. You're not using your wheelchair and right now, you're only using one crutch, isn't that a great improvement already?" Haruna told her. Mami looked at Haruna's eyes, desperate to believe her but her disappointment to herself was just so great that she looked down again. The other three groan. Haruna grabbed Mami's chin and looked her straight in the eyes.

"Your therapy is doing great. Hiromi said it herself! People take a lot of months and even years to get back to their normal activities but you, you've been dedicating yourself into improving that you're rehabilitation is much faster than the others." Haruna muttered in a serious tone.

"All of us practice day and night for the concert, seven days a week, and you..." Haruna's voice softened before she continued, "...you've been doing your rehabilitation in between practices and even after we go home. You've put all your efforts into returning and those efforts will not come into nothing. Believe me, everyone will be just as happy and satisfied to see you standing there in that stage, with us, complete after so long and doing what we love," She finished. Haruna could see that Mami was starting to understand but doubt clouded her eyes again and it brought a frown on her face.

"But I'm dragging you guys down with me. I'm not good enough to even perform a simple riff, how much more to play non-stop in those two hours?"

"Then we'll just extend the concert," Tomomi suggested, "May it be three or four or even six hours, don't you think it would be great? With that entire crowd and the music. Just us and all the important people in our lives," She said and that brought a smile to their faces.

"If I haven't known you, Tomomi, I would really consider that six hours but you're the first one to drain out after a two hour concert. Do you think you could handle it?" Rina playfully asked which gained her a smack on the shoulder.

"Come on! Can't you read the atmosphere here? It was getting good and I'm having the greatest epiphany, and you just have to ruin it." Rina rolled her eyes and looked at Mami with an amused look on her face.

"What? Did the great Mami lose her confidence?" Mami frowned at Rina's words. The other two looked at Rina in shock. Haruna and Tomomi were trying to comfort Mami and help her boost her confidence but Rina seemed to be thinking differently.

"Well...I guess I do," Mami admitted.

"Then stop already."

If Rina's words were already a shock to them, that sentence did a blow to the three that made their jaws dropped. They don't know if Rina was being serious but by the look on her smiling face while saying those words were unbelievable.

Haruna opened to say something to her but she close it again as she couldn't find the right words to say to her.

"What's the point of having zero confidence if we're doing something this big? This is our chance and we shouldn't let it go," Rina continued. Haruna and Tomomi were growing angry at her by the minute. They don't know the sudden change of her attitude but it was not something they needed at that moment.

"Look, Rina. I think you're drunk or something. What are you talking about?" Haruna warningly said but Rina shrugged it with a smile.

"Just saying the truth," She said which made the other two to glare at her.

"You're right. I should just give up. I'll just let you guys down and I don't want that. If ever, you guys should continue without me," Mami said sadly but she tried to give them a smile which failed too.

"What?!" Tomomi asked ridiculously.

"First off, you don't quit like that, Mami. I won't let you this time around. Not now, not tomorrow, not ever! Do you understand?" Tomomi angrily said to Mami and then her full glare was directed on Rina in a matter of seconds.

"I don't know if you hit your head or something but you should fix this right now?! Do you even hear yourself?" She asked but Rina only rolled her eyes to her. Tomomi was about to snap at her again but Haruna beat her to it.

"Rina! What are you doing? You're not helping!" She whispered but Rina only returned a hard look.

"I'm trying to let her see that all this time, the problem is within herself! Can't I just point that out?" Rina muttered, now a frown gracing her features.

"Mami...even how much we tell you the great things you've been doing this couple of months – you might even consider it as a miracle because of your condition! – you'll never accept it if you yourself don't believe them. We're drawing near to this big event that you so wish to have again after your condition but now you're chickening out again. Make up your mind already and just do it!" Rina huffed to her and the three were surprised with her outburst.

Seeing their lost faces, Rina let out a defeated sigh and shook her head in resignation. She clasped and unclasped her hands before fidgeting with her hands.

"Forget it. It's a long night. I think I'll head first. Take care, guys." She left them with a wave of her hand before jogging down the street. They've watched her in disbelief and only recovered when it finally sank to them that Rina just upped and left them.

"Did she just – is that even – " Tomomi pointed out but couldn't find the right words to say.

"She just did," Haruna answered even though the thought was confusing.

They were left in silence for a few minutes before a sudden burst of laughter left Mami's lips. Haruna and Tomomi was even more shock on Mami's reaction but Mami didn't stop laughing until she was exhausted and just an amused smile was left on her face.

"...Typical Rina," She whispered but the two were even more confused.

Mami shook her head to them and clutched her crutches closer to her body before she started walking and leaving the two in their own musing.

"Wait! What's that about?" Tomomi asked.

"Yeah. I don't know who's crazier. You or Rina?" Haruna added but Mami only offered a genuine laugh to them which they've never seen since they've started practicing for the big event.

"She hates losing..." Mami muttered.

"Yeah, we know about that..." Tomomi said, "...but what's that got to do with you laughing?"

Mami smiled more; remembering the tiny thing that Rina does every time she was struggling to win something. Well...not so tiny, she corrected herself before answering Tomomi.

"Push hard and scream...Man, she doesn't change a bit," Mami offered but the two was still at loss.

"Wait...Do you mean...she would rather trade you as a member to make this big event be successful and resorts to making you quit? That's just being mean!" Haruna furiously said but Mami only shook her head.

"Wow, I can't believe you didn't see that coming," Mami muttered but then her face lightened up, "...I can't believe I've almost fall for that," she added.

"Care to explain? Because right now, what Haruna just said seems more viable and I'm ready to hunt Rina down," Tomomi told her.

"Push and scream. That's what she always does to win. Well, not literally this time. Pushing me on what I need to do and to scream to make her point," She smiles. "Not to mention she fidgeted. Hoping that it will cause her to win."

"Win what? Stop making riddles already..."

"Win Mami's self again...?" Haruna offered and Mami nodded.

"And boy I needed that much push huh," Mami whispered and made a mental note to thank Rina once she got home.

"Oh. Is that necessary?" Tomomi asked and Mami only nodded.

"Well, if it didn't, I might not be feeling motivated right now," Mami offered them a smile and continued to walk to her home.

"What a drama," Tomomi drawled but smiled when she saw something change in Mami's posture.

"Yeah. You know what, we are truly scandalous in that sense huh," Haruna added and that made them laugh.

~*~*~*~

In Rina's apartment, it has been a while since she got home but she can't help it but to pace back and forth inside her room.

Was it too much? Oh God! Please! Don't let her quit. Damn me and my ways! She mentally cursed herself a million already with her phone clutched to her hands.

Maybe I should call or text to her and apologize, she thought but shook her head again. No! You can't! It might not work if I do that, she argued with herself but nothing seems to make sense to her.

But what if produce the opposite of what I want? Damn it, I shouldn't have tried reverse psychology.

She was at the point of breaking out and just laying it all out to Mami when suddenly her phone rung in her hands making her startled with the sudden noise.

Rina calmed herself first and looked at her phone to see one message from the person she was stressing about.

The drummer's throat dried from the sudden nervousness and she couldn't think of what she would do if the message says the things she feared about.

Not taking the suspense any longer, she opened it and read the words Mami just sent her.

Mami: Hey, thanks for the push. I really needed that...See you in the rehearsal : )

Rina held her breathe and read the words one more time. Slowly, the words sank into her head that Mami didn't quit and seems to be doing much better. Letting a very thankful prayer, she fist pumped into the air and started composing what she should reply. She thought for a minute and then she settled with a very few words; but they were the ones she thinks might count.

Rina: Don't know what you meant but glad we're on the same page. See you tomorrow too.

She clicked sent and that made the night much better. It seems like everything's bright again and now they could continue what they were supposed to be.

~*~*~*~

A really boring update :v haha sorry...Been busy with work and I don't have time to write anymore. One or two more chapters before epilogue...I hope I make it T___T