CHAPTER 14 : ONE ACE DOWN

DIVERGENT THINKERS

 

“I think we should postpone this meeting. Let their emotion stable first.” Qri says, concerned.

 “Where are Jiyeon and Hyomin?”

Qri shrugged. “I bet they went over Eunjung.  But if you want, I’ll call them..”

“Nah, just forget about it.” Soyeon rubs her temple as she let out a heavy sigh. “I think they need some time alone. This is so sudden and I’m sure they will get over this soon.”

“What about Boram?”

“She just want to left alone. The best part of about being alone is that you really don’t have to answer to anybody. She’s trying to find her own self.” Soyeon paused. “I guess I need my own time too. My head was aching like crazy right now.” She grunted.

“Hey, are you okay?” Qri asked, as she holds her. Afraid she will faint.

“I’ll be fine after take some pills.”

“Go get some rest. Don’t worry, everything will get fine.” Qri says, as if she tries to console herself.

“I know.” Soyeon smiles. “You too. Get some rest.”

“Sure.”

 

At the afternoon,

Qri look at Boram who sitting at her table, staring blankly at the laptop’s screen. It’s been a while she was acting like that. “She seems lost.” 

 “Unnie..”  Qri tries to approach Boram. But before she can even reach her, the oldest member cut her off.

“Please.” Boram paused. Her breathless eyes met with Qri. “Just leave me alone.” Then, she heads to her bed and cover herself with the blanket.

Qri take a deep long breath.  She drags her feet towards the older member’s bed. “Jeon Boram.” She exclaimed as she pull the blanket over Boram.

“Hey! What’s wrong with you?” Boram cries out.

“I’m the one who’s supposed to ask you that question. What the hell is wrong with you?” Qri asked as she’s trying not to sounds rude although her tone was a bit high than usual. “This is not like Jeon Boram that we used to know.”

 “I know where I’m going and I know the truth, and I don’t have to be what you want me to be. I’m free to be what I want.” She utters.

“No.” Qri shook her head. “You, yourself don’t know who you are. And you still don’t have any idea what are you doing right now is either right or wrong.”

“Oh, really?” Boram click her tongue. “Then, who am I?”

“Don’t ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.” Qri says.

“Just now you said like you know everything about me.” Boram rolls her eyes. “Why don’t you tell me what’s the right thing that I should do?”

“I don’t need a friend who changes when I changed, and who nods when I nod. My shadow does that much better!” Qri yells.  But after a few seconds she realizes that the anger had control her.

 “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to yell at you. It just..” She let out a heavy sigh, cupping her face with both of her hand.

“Stop wasting your time.” Boram says as she grabs her things into her luggage. “I can’t do this stuff anymore. I’m out.”

 “You are not only a selfish , but you are a coward. You didn’t have a gut to stand and fight for what was yours, instead you chose to flee and force others into a fight that wasn’t even theirs to begin with.” Qri says as Boram passing by her. “A brave heart doesn’t pump coward’s blood.”

Boram froze on her track. She holds her first. “Shut your ing mouth when you don’t have a slight idea about me.” Boram bite her lower lip. She can fight back with Qri for another hundreds time but she knows it will never end. Part of happiness of life consists not in fighting battles, but in avoiding them. A masterly retreat is in itself a victory.

“Hypocrites get offended by the truth.”

“Enough is enough.” Boram shouts as she slaps Qri on her face.  She exchanges her look in between her trembling hand and Qri who was holding her face with teary eyes. The anger had completely controlled her.

What I’ve done?’ Boram bite her lower lip. “Ji Hyun-ah.” She pushes out her hand to reach Qri.

“Don’t touch me.” Qri says as she takes a step backwards, touching her stingy cheeks. “Aren’t you satisfied watching Eunjung leaving us? And now you too want to do the same? I hate you.” She cries out as she ran out from the room.

Boram fall on her knees. “I-I’m sorry.”  

Hyomin and Jiyeon just enter the house, when they heard the chaos. They quickly pull their legs toward Boram’s room.

“Unnie, what’s wrong?” Hyomin ask as Qri passing by them with teary eyes. But Qri didn’t bother to stop.

“I’ll handle her. You go to Boram Unnie.” Hyomin says as the younger member nods her head.

Once Jiyeon reach out at the room, the view of Boram hugs both of her knees and buried her crying face caught her eyes. “Unnie.” She called the vulnerable person in front of her.

“I’m sorry.” Boram says, sobbing. “It’s my fault. I’m scared.”

Jiyeon reach her and quickly wraps her on a tight embrace. “All is well. All is well.” she says as she lovingly soothes her back.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

“Thanks a lot. I owe you this time.” Eunjung says, looking at the kids whose sleeping. “For the time being I can’t keep them with me. Once our case was solving, then I will take them back.”

 “That’s what a friend for.” Gyuri flash an encouraging smile as Eunjung return her back with a weak smile.

 “Hey.” Gyuri pinch her older friend’s cheek. “What’s with that face?”

“I wonder where my life ends up to.” Eunjung look down, nibble her lips. “Looks like the person I love walk out from my life one by one.”

“This life is what you make it. No matter what, you’re going to mess up sometimes, it’s a universal truth. But the good part is you get to decide how you’re going to mess it up. Girls will be your friend; they’ll act like it anyway. But just remember, some come some go. The ones that stay with you through everything they are your true best friend. Don’t let go of them. And baby, I hate to say it most of them actually pretty much are going to break your heart. But you can’t give up because you’ll never find your soul mate.”

Gyuri her best friend’s hair. “Just because you fail once doesn’t mean you are gonna fail at everything. Keep trying, hold on, and always, always, always believe in yourself. Because if you don’t then who will? So keep your head high, keep your chin up and most importantly keep smiling because life’s is a beautiful thing and there’s so much to smile for.”

“And you are one of the little who never turns me down.” Eunjung smile.

“I know. That’s because I am a g-.”

“Yes. You are a goddess. No need to say that twice.” Eunjung rolls her eyes.

“Good you know.” Gyuri says, shrugged with cocky face.

“You are so full of yourself.” Eunjung pout her lip, and scrunch her nose. “But I have to admit every time I talk with you, all the weight on my shoulder was completely free.”

Gyuri giggles. “I guess that’s was my specialty.” Gyuri says as she lean her head on Eunjung’s shoulder.

“Yeah. That specialty of yours was the way you talk like an ‘ahjumma’. It feels like I’m talking with my mother.”

“Hey!” Gyuri smack her back. “This kid really.”

“Look at you.” Eunjung burst into laughter.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

“I don’t know why you are doing this but for God’s sake I need an explanation.” Eunjung says as she throws the audio ‘bugs’ on the table. Wonjun eyes grew bigger, he stand on his feet.

“What’s all this?” Wonjun asked. “I don’t get it.

Eunjung look at him. “Stop pretending.”  Their eyes met. “All this time, you are the person that I respect the most. Why you have to destroy it?”

“I have my own reason. You have to believe in me, this is for your own goods.”   

“By tracking our conversation?” She crossed her arm. “What’s so good with that? Herm?” She lifts up her eyebrows.

Wonjun lower his gaze. He couldn’t bear to look at Eunjung. “I-I’m sorry.” That’s the only words that he could utter right now.

“I have learned that sometimes ‘sorry’ is not enough. Sometimes you actually have to change.” Eunjung says as she pulling her legs from the place.

“Wait!” But she was frozen on her track when Wonjun stands in front of her with his arm wide open. “Look.” He paused, gasping for some air. “I did this because of you, for your own safety.”

Eunjung knit her eyebrows. “What do you mean?”

He holds her shoulders. “This case isn’t as easy as you are thinking. He would never let anybody stands on their way. Whoever tries to stop him, they will make sure that you were regret for sticking your nose into their business.”

“What a….pleasant surprise.” Her voice was icy and not at all corresponding to the words coming out of .

“I beg you, please drop the case; your life might be in danger.” His grip becomes stronger. “You are no match for them.”

 “No, you are no match for them.” Eunjung smirk. She released his grip on her. “I’d rather to attempt to do something and fail than to attempt to do nothing and succeed.” She looks into his eyes. “It’s okay. From now on, you don’t have to worry about me. I’m not the little Eunjung that you used to know. Present Eunjung was stronger than you think. Just take good care of your own team.”

 “I’m really thankful for your concern about me but you should not drag Boram Unnie in order to get rid of me from this battle at the first place. She’s too cute to be a monster.” There is shakiness in her voice. “And to be honest, it’s hurting me and the other members too if you really care.”

“Jungie..”

“Play fair. Don’t hit people. Say you’re sorry when you hurt somebody.”

 “I’m really sorry.”

“Not to me. Save it for Boram unnie. She’s hurting more than I am.” She laid her hand on his shoulder.  “And I bet you know that better than I am.” 

Wonjun sighed as Eunjung’s shadow can’t be seen.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

Soyeon was on her deep sleep when the buzzing sound from her phone wakes her up. The effect from the painkiller still remains as she can’t even lift her eyes open. She reaches her phone with her eyes closed.

“Park Soyeon speaking.” She says, yawn.

But after a few moments, her eyes wide open as she sits still.  “What?” She asked, disbelieve. “Okay, I’ll be there. Thanks.”

She quickly pulls her legs, looking for other members. “Girls!” She cries out. “Bad news!”

“Yes!” Jiyeon and Hyomin response in instant as they jog to Soyeon.

“What’s wrong?” Jiyeon asked.

“Taewoon was admitted to hospital. He was shot a moment he walk out from the prison.”

“What?” Jiyeon and Hyomin say in unison.

“How’s he?” Qri asked as she reaches them.

“He’s still in ER. Get ready, we have to get him.” Soyeon commanded. “And you too.” She continues, refer to Boram who take a peek from her room. The oldest member nods, a little bit shy because she was caught by Soyeon.

After a while, they already were in their van. The environment was a little bit tense.

“Did Eunjung ever contact all of you? I can’t reach her.”  Soyeon asked as she focuses on her driving.

Hyomin who take her seat at the front, beside Soyeon shook her head. “No.”

Boram sighs. “I’m sorry.” She lowers her gaze.

“In everyone’s life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burn into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.” Jiyeon says as she playing with Boram’s fingers.

“We should regret mistakes and learn from them but never carry them forward into the future with us.” Soyeon adds.

That’s the only conversation they had in the van. The rest, silent speaks well.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Eunjung was on her way back from Wonjun’s place when she bumps with someone. “Sorry.” She says as she bows a little.

“It’s okay.” The guy nods. “Eunjung?”

 “Erm?” Eunjung look at the familiar face in front of her. “Taec. What are you doing here?”

“I was with them.” He points his finger at a group of people whose sitting inside the restaurant. “We were celebrating on Junsu who’s just get discharge from the hospital.” Then he chuckled.

“What a coincidence.” Eunjung smiled. “I’d just come back from meeting someone.”

“Erm, So you mean you are just come back from..”Taec paused as he touches his neck. “a date?”

“No.” She replied in instant as she waves both of her palms. “It’s just a normal meeting with a.. friend.” She scratches her head with an awkward smile. “Erm…” She scans inside the restaurant when her eyes met with Nickhun. After a second she turns her attention back to Taecyeon.  “Glad Junsu has been good.”

At the other side, Nickhun’s eyes were trailing each step of them. Wooyoung who sit beside him realize the changes in Nickhun look at the same direction as him.

“Are those two dating? They look very close with each other.” Wooyoung says.

“Who?” Junho and Chansung asked in unison as they turn their back, searching for the person that Wooyoung refer to.

“Aish.” He sits back to normal. “Why Eunjung never look at me? Seriously, I am more handsome than Taec. Although he had a better figure than me but I’m okay, what?” He says, irritate.

“Tch.” Junsu smack Chansung’s head. “This kid really did not know his place. Do you think you can get together with Eunjung? ”

Junho wraps his arm around Chansung’s neck. “In your dream.” Then he burst into laughter.

“Do you want to die?” Chansung ask as he yanks Junho’s hand from him.

Wooyoung nudge Nickhun’s rib. “Are you okay by just watching?” He whispers.

Nickhun shrugged as he’s stirring his ice café latte. After that night incident, he neither meets nor contact with her anymore. Her expression when she admits the murder really bothers him. But what disturbing his right now is whose Taecyeon to Eunjung? Did they really dating? He sighs.

“So, why don’t you join us?” Taec asked. “Well, since we didn’t have a chance to express our gratitude for your help last night.”

“Its okay. It wasn’t a big deal after all.” She smiled. A second after, the sound of the car tires screeching on the road caught their attention. A black Minivan Park only a few meters from the place they standing. A group of guys wearing a face mask walk out from the car, running towards them.

This is not good.’ She sounds trouble.  Eunjung lean her body closer to Taec. “Do you know how to fight?” She whispers, her eyes move from man to man.

“A little.” Taec nods. “Why?”

“Then show me.” Eunjung says as she prepares herself for a fight. She don’t care anymore bout her undercover. Their life might be danger.

He only realized their danger situation when Eunjung was already moving; swinging her elbow to a man’s face before executing a roundhouse kick to another. “Oh, ! What the hell is happening right now?” Another man approaches him. He somersaulted to the right and kicks the man on neck with all his might. The attacker cries out in pain.

Nickhun who’s watching them from far didn’t waste a second as he running towards them, joins the fight. He expertly dodged the attacker’s move and kicking the man in mask in his gut. 

“What..” Wooyoung paused once he saw the fight. He and other members leave the table and lend their punch and kicks.

After the attackers realize the number of their opponent was increase and greater than them, they announce for a retreat. Junho want to chase them out but Eunjung block him.

“No. Don’t bother about them.” She says, with a heavy breath. Normally she fights with more than 10 people but she wasn’t as tired as this. She sweats a lot.

“Who are them? Did they want to kill you?” Taec asked.

“I don’t know.” She shook her head. “Auch.” She wince a little as feel the pain on her chest. ‘What’s wrong with me?’

“Hey, are you okay?” Nickhun asked as he holds her. Afraid she will fall.

“I’m okay.” She nods, while touch her chest, hoping for the pain will gone.

“She says she’s okay, so put your hand off from her.” Taecyeon says. His voice was sound jealous to the ears.

“Does she look okay to you?” Nickhun ask, didn’t believe that Taecyeon would get jealous over such a small things.

“Hey.” Junsu interrupted before there is a fight. “Calm down. What’s wrong with both of you? Aish.”

Eunjung who don’t want to create a fight laid Nickhun’s hand off from her. “It’s okay. I’m good, thanks.” She says, as she fake a smile. The pain was burning like crazy.

“Are you sure?” Nickhun asked her back, concerned.

“Herm.” She nods. “Thank guys.” Eunjung look at all the 2 PM members. Out of the corner of her eyes she saw the glint of metal on top of a roof. It meant only one thing. ‘Sniper’.

“Ducks!” Eunjung cries out her lung. At the exact second, she knew she already fall on her knees. A bullet hit her in the chest.

“Eunjung!” 

 

P/S : I'm really sorry for super late update. There's a few more week before my semester end. Do leave your comment to let me know if this story was not forgetten and have a reader. and for those who subscribe and support me, thanks a lot. :) You guys inspired me a lot.