Drawing the Truth

Tripping is the Key

When Simon and Martina went to the vet with their dog Spudgy (Yes, he's adorable as he is in real life), I got bored in their officetel. After hanging out in my room for awhile (and being reminded how like Simon's and Martina's parents, that their hospitality was probably WAY better than a hotel) my eyes lay on my sketchbook. Which brought me to sitting outside of the building on a bench, sketching.

At first I sketched my friends in anime form, but then if I could see if I could sketch people by memory. Simon and Martina didn't come out too great, but my sister came out really well. Well, okay her hands were way too small. Who draws hands perfectly anyway? Probably only professional artists. Anyhow, when was Simon and Martina going to come back? Fifteen minutes probably passed by since I first began drawing. I flipped to a new page. 

"What are you drawing?"

I looked up, and my heart leapt. My mystery visitor!

"Oh, nothing, just things I think of."

"Hmmm. Can I see?" 

"Sure." I handed my book over.

He flipped through. "Good, good! You have inspiration and great detail! And this?"

He pointed to a page full of splotches.

"Oh." I blushed. "I was bored at home and had an old box of watercolors-"

"Magificent! Or is that magnificent? It looks like a mess, but if has...feel?"

I laughed. "Yeah, it has feel."

He handed my book back. "Did I ever tell you that I have art displayed in a museum?"

I looked at him. "No..."

"You should go and see! It's Boutique Monaco," he said, the words rolling off his tongue as if he was reciting. "It's nearby."

"Hmm, I think I know someone who also had his art published there too..."

"Really? What's his name?"

I shook my head. "I'm sorry, but I can't remember. I could try sketching him-"

"Yes! I would like to see."

"Okay." I squinted at the fresh page, and began to draw.

When I start to draw a person, usually I like to start with the hair. I decided to do side-swept hair, since it was the easiest to draw the angles. (The guy had a lot of hairstyles, as I recall.) The rest of the face came naturally. Well, the eyes are hard to get symmetrical, and I always have trouble with noses. But finally I was satisfied and looked up.

The mystery visitor nodded. "That is good! May I have a copy of that? I would like to show my friends."

"Sure! You can have the one I just drew." I carefully ripped it out. "Here you go!"

"Thank you. I guess I'll see around?"

I laughed. "I'll see you around."

"Right. I'll see you around!" He waved and walked off.

I waved back and sighed. My mystery visitor seemed to come up whenever I was being bored. Good karma, eh?

"Excuse me."

"Yes?" I turned around to see a lady with blonde hair.

"Are you a professional artist? You drew that man so well, well at least his face. I was wondering if you had another pieces of art."

I shook my head. "I'm sorry, I'm not professional."

"Really? But your details were very precise! Is that your sketchbook?" I nodded. "Would you mind if I took a peek at it?" 

"Sure." I handed it over into her outstretched hands. 

She flipped through for a minute as I waited patiently. Finally, she handed it back. "I'm sorry, we haven't introduced ourselves! I'm Elaine Simmons."

"I'm Min Gomez."

"Nice to meet you Min! Anyhow, I'm a manager at Brezie, which is a company that focuses on design. I'm very impressed with your portfolia. Can I contact you later?"

"Sure." Did I need a business card? Oh well, too late. "Umm, do you have a pen and paper?"

"Yes, of course." She searched through her purse to come up with an old receipt and a pen. 

"Thanks." I scribbled on it. "This is my email and current cell phone. However, I'm leaving Korea in a month, so my number won't work."

"Ah! Okay. I will contact you by email then, if that's most convenient for you." She extended her hand. "It's been very nice meeting you Min."

I shook it. "Thank you. Wait, but did you say I drew the guy I met?"

Elaine turned back. "Why, yes."

I shook my head. "I think you're mistaken. I have impaired vision right now and I haven't receieved my glasses yet."

"So, you're saying that you can't see me or him."

"Right."

She shrugged. "Well, you drew someone who looked a lot like him. I hope we meet again."

She walked away as I sat confused. I drew a person that looked my mystery visitor?

*

Hi guys! Sorry for taking so long for a short chapter, but seriously this took me a LONG time to think of. Not to mention that people of high status try to keep us away from computers. (Well, there are guys here that make SO MUCH NOISE for playing Halo. And that's such a lame game to be playing a trial of on computers anyway.) Anyhow, I also drew a really bad picture of Key to go with this chapter, but since I left my usb adapter that connects my camera to a computer, I can't load it up yet. TT.TT Enjoy!