Cafe Appearance

Tripping is the Key

"So you like milk tea?" Martina asked.

I nodded. "I don't like bubbles though. It's like plain tofu, except worse."

"Okay then, one milk tea coming up." She went up to cashier with our orders.

Simon turned to me. "So, how do you like Seoul so far?"

"I like it a lot, though I wish the accident didn't happen. Even if I continued on my plan for the trip, I wouldn't be able to enjoy it as much with my impaired vision and all."

"Hey, no stress. Your glasses should be delivered in a few days. Meanwhile, do you have the plan written out? Maybe we could advise you on which places to go and which to miss."

I brought the giant map with little post-it tags. "Here it is. I haven't made any hotel reservations, so that's good."

Martina came back with the beeper. "Are you going to Jeju Island? We'll be going in two weeks, if you want to join us."

"That'll be great! Awesome. Are you guys going biking? I mean, knowing that you two already went there before."

"And miss out the great views?" Simon grinned and high-fived Martina. "No way!"

The beeper rang. "Okay, that's our drinks!" Martina jumped up and rushed over.

Simon leaned over. "Bet you a thousand won she just wants her Chai tea."

I grinned. "I'm not going to take that, because I bet you're right."

Turns out, Martina was already sipping on hers when she came back. "Sorry, I couldn't resist," she replied to our looks, I imagine sheepishly.

Simon's phone rang. "Yeoboseyo?" He waited for a second. "What? Nooo, please tell me you're joking!" He listened and nodded. "I'll be right there." He shoved the phone back into his pocket. "Mr. Kim's apartment is flooding and he needs someone who is tall enough to connect the water pipe, and I was the first one who came to his mind. I guess I'll have to give it a try."

"Oh no!" Martina stood up. "Mr. Kim's Mooshu! I'll go with you."

I stood up too. "I'll with you."

"No, no, you should stay here. I mean, you see, Korean building structures is somewhat different than what you're used to, and we wouldn't want to get hurt because some dangling thing you're not used to, especially since you just got out of the hospital. Besides, it won't take us long. We'll be back in an hour at most!" With that Simon and Martina rushed out of the cafe.

I sighed and sat back in my chair, taking a sip of my milk tea. They probably would come back, seeing that they left their drinks. Maybe I should call home while they were gone? But I already called yesterday and because of the time difference, they probably would be sleeping. Ditto wiht my friends and Anlia, the one in China, was volunteering at this time of day. Man, I thought while I took another sip, the only time worse than this was a 90 minute math lecture. Of course, any kind of lecture that long I would be fighting to stay awake.

"Hey!" A guy stood in front of me.

I blinked and smiled as I noticed his familiar outline. "Hey, you were my mysterious hospital visitor!" 

"Yeah, that was me!" He slid into Simon's vacant seat. "How are you?"

"Fine. Just bored."

"Bored. Boored." He seemed to be playing with the word. "By the way, this is my friend Josephine."

"Hi!" From my blurred vision, I could make out a girl with short hair. She waved and sat down. "What's up?"

"She is from America too," my visitor (and still mysterious, sigh) added.

"Yup. West coast represent!" She said, ing hand into the air.

I laughed. "Hey, the east coast isn't that bad."

"You're from the east coast? Cool. Which state?"

"Florida."

"Florida baby!" We laughed. "Where?"

"Near Miami."

"Miami? Man, there's so much media about that city. I'm from Orange County."

"Really? My friend Anila has a cousin who lived there."

"Hey, it's a small world!" We all laughed.

The guy pointed to my cup. "So, what are you drinking?"

"Milk tea."

"Milk tea..."

Josephine elbowed him. "You know, bubble tea without the bubbles. Speaking of which, didn't we promise to have bubble tea together?"

"Oh yeah! But look at the time, our managers must be worried."

"Right. Anyway, sorry, um, what's your name?" Josephine looked at me.

"Min."

"Right! Anyway, sorry, Min, we have to go now. Our schedules are very busy."

"No problem. I see my friends right now anyway." I saw Simon and Martina rushing back, looking a little wet more than normal. "Will you see me again? I appreciate your company."

"Okay. Give me your phone number, and I'll call you when we're around. You see, sometimes we travel out of Seoul."

"Here you go." I scribbled on a napkin. "I guess I'll catch you guys later then."

Josephine nodded and grabbed the napkin as she and my mystery visitor. I sighed. I guess I"ll never know his name.

"Hey Min!" Simon and Martina rushed in. "Whooh! Was that a flood! Anyway, we should go now if we want to continue our tour of Seoul!" 

I nodded and stood up to go with them. But how come while they were soaked on top, their pants and shoes weren't wet?

 

*

Hey guys! Sorry for taking so long, but I'm busy with my classes and my friends try to do other stuff. (Seriously, not too interested in card games people. >.<) Also, this chapter is WAYY long. At least, I think it's longer than the other chapters. Anyhow, thank you for giving me somethng to concentrate when I'm about doze off during class! Maybe I'll post a picture later of me writing ideas in between my notes. You'll even see me write an early draft of this chapter in my notebook, if you could ever get your hands on it. XD Anyway, I think now you guys have an idea who's in the story, and I'll try to come up with new ideas as I'm half-dozing off, haha! XD