The Meeting

It happened over a coffee

Dreams do come true..unexpectedly? 

 

                                                                                            ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The next day you went for your meeting before work. You were nervous because your last meeting didn’t go as planned. Of course, the other meeting was with the publisher and regarding your novel and this one was different but you still couldn’t help being nervous. 

You walked into the five storied building to meet the Chief Editor of “Q”, Kim Tae Hee. She was a very pretty lady in her early 30’s. She was poised, calm and demanding when it came to the quality of work. After all, she ran the biggest fashion magazine of Korea.  You knew her through Sasha and although she was such a high profile person, she treated you as a younger sister. She preferred you calling her, Hee Unnie and she was very supportive of you. So when she found out that you did freelance writing, she asked you to write one for her magazine. You weren’t sure because you had never wrote about fashion but she convinced you that you could write about anything that girls could relate to and that was the reason you were here.

She smiled brightly and hugged you, as you walked into her office. “____ ah, you’re here. How was your meeting with your publisher?”

You hug her back as you answered, “It did not go as planned. He did not like the novel. I just hope this write up is according to what you expected”

You handed her the article and in the next 5 minutes that Hee unnie read your article, a thousand things were running through your mind. You suddenly thought about Kris’s comment on the article, you still weren’t sure whether he liked it or not. Not that it matter but if he was anyways going to leave a comment on the article, he could have atleast been specific. You then thought about what the publisher had told you regarding your novel. In his words, “Your novel is too cliché, even a 10 yr old can write it”. He also didn’t fail to add that, “You did not belong to the literary world”. You were obviously hurt and shattered because you had worked for 2 years to complete the novel. You thought about that day when you felt like everything was wrong, like you had no skill as a writer and that you should just give up. Suddenly, Kris came to your mind, how he suddenly came to help you and gave you the coffee. That day when you went back to your place, you had thought that the world wasn’t such a bad place and that there were still good people in the world. But that was obviously before you knew how evil Kris was, you could not forget Luhan’s selca prank. You were lost in your thoughts, cursing Kris, when you heard Hee unnie calling your name.

You looked up as she kept the write up on the table, took your hands and said, “I don’t know why the publisher was acting like an idiot but I loved your write up and although I haven’t read your novel, I am sure it was good too”

You thanked her for her kind words and somehow you waited for her “but” which thankfully didn’t come. She instead told you, “______ah, I know it’s sudden but I want to publish it for the next month’s issue. It will go on print day after and the magazine should be out in a week. Actually the next month’s issue is “Girls Special” and this is perfect. Your write up on “Men and Shoes” is a refreshing concept and I am sure many girls will be able to relate to it while being amused too. It’s very chick lit and fun. I hope your okay with it.”

You beamed in surprise; you didn’t expect her to like it this much. You thanked her profusely and told her that you were completely okay with it.

She smiled with relief and then tells you, “You will have to click a picture which will accompany the article and do you want to use your real name or will you use a pen name?”

You tell her that you didn’t want to use your real name and that although you have a pen name, that was a name and you wanted something creative like that girl had from “Confessions of a Shopaholic” since this is for a magazine too. The name that she used for her articles was very chick lit and fun and you wanted something similar to it because your pet name sounded very serious.  

Hee Unnie smiled as she told you, “Very interesting, yes, we can come up with some fun name that will be easily remembered and well, if this article works out, maybe you can continue writing for us time to time? I know you’re stressed about your novel but you can always work part time in the meanwhile”

You hoped that it would work out well, but with your luck, you couldn’t be sure. You obviously didn’t tell her that though and you thanked her. Hee Unnie then asked you to come tomorrow for clicking your picture for the magazine as the photographer was busy today. You felt uncomfortable over the idea of clicking picture, you knew you were being too demanding but you had to say it.

“Ummm Hee Unnie, I know I am being too demanding but I was wondering if I could remain a mystery? I mean I don’t know why but I love staying in the dark. I feel I can write freely when people don’t know who I am and what is the point of having a pen name when everyone can see me?”

Hee unnie looked at you and said, “Don’t be stupid, ______ah, you can always tell me anything and yes, I understand why you want to do that and that makes more sense but are you sure? I mean no one would know that this awesome write-up is yours!”

You smiled in relief as you tell her, “Unnie, I am okay with that. Also, maybe part of the reason why I am doing this is that incase it is not accepted well, at least my haters won’t know how I look so I don’t have to run”

Hee Unnie laughed out loud as she heard you. “_____ah, your funny, don’t think like that. Everything will work out fine but yes, I will take into account what you said. I’ll direct the photographer to take a picture of you like those teaser pics so that you wouldn’t be seen clearly and it will be hard to recognize. Drop by at around 10 AM tomorrow for clicking the picture okay?”
 

You thanked her profusely for what she has done for you and you then step out of the office. You were so happy, it was a huge break for you. “Q” was the biggest fashion magazine and although it was just one article, you were going to be a part of it. You were smiling to yourself and were so lost in your thoughts that you did not bother to see who was calling, “Fan, Fan” at the top of their voice in the background. You reached the elevator and pressed the button to go down and just as it was about to close, the door was stopped. You looked up and saw this girl carrying clothes in her hand. You tell her sorry and hold the lift for her. Suddenly 3-5 people walked in. You heard another, “Fan, Fan” as you were finally about to release the button. You looked in the front and there he was, that obnoxious guy. You saw him wearing normal clothing for the first time without his signature cap, scarf and shades. covering his face. You curse your luck as you thought, why you had to see him on such a happy day.

You pretended to not notice him and tried to release the button but he walked in right then and pressed 2. You turned your head the other way. He was however standing right in front of you and he asked you, “What are you doing here?” . You ignored his question and looked the other way but he asked again and when you turned, you felt like everyone in the elevator was asking you the same question. You then replied that you had work and he smirked and said, “I am sure! I recognize you. I am sometimes amazed by how fans know so much about us. I appreciate the love and concern but sometimes it gets stressful especially when you can’t live your private life”. You looked at him in shock, you couldn’t believe what he was saying, your eyes turned big like Chanyeol’s. You were not his fan and you were definitely not following him. But by now everyone on the lift was giving you the “Judgy look”. You were about to say something, when Kris sighed and said, “My floor is here, I will get off but please go home safely and don’t follow. The weather is getting colder so take care and attend your classes. I will hug you so please go back home directly instead of waiting here. Ok?” He then hugged you and whispered on your ears, “This is for ignoring me, my dear fan”. Before you could react, he gave a sly smile, murmured something as he laughed out loud and got off the lift. You swear you heard him say, “Luhan’s Selca”. 

You were about to get off and yell at him when the girl who was carrying so many clothes suddenly blocked you. You looked at her in surprise and you heard her say, “sasaeng” and shake her head. The other’s nodded in response and gave you “that look”. You were beyond embarrassed. That two floors down took forever. When the lift finally opened, you quickly bowed and left. You don’t even know why you were sorry for what happened but with the looks that they gave, you were mortified.  If you were pissed off at Kris earlier, you didn’t know what you felt now. 

 

                                      ----------------------------------------------------------------*_*-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

A/N: Mianhe, i am really sorry for not updating earlier, i wrote a chapter and somehow it refreshed before i could save it here, hence the delay. Lesson learnt. Don't start typing here. Type on MS Word and then copy paste it here :D 

Thank you all for reading!! Please let me know what you think about it. It means a lot and encourages me to write ^_^