The Aftermath II

It happened over a coffee

 

Everyone loves differently. No two love stories can be similar....

 

                          __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“Ah,” you hurriedly said before he could complete the sentence. “You saw me watching them kissing? I wasn’t stalking if that’s what you are thinking, I just happened to see them.”

Kris seemed angry when you said that. “Did I say something like that? We said we are friends right? I was just worried. I mean I know you like him, it must have hurt.”

You broke into a smile. This guy was a dork. One moment he would keep teasing you and another, he would say something like this. You ruffled his hair and said, “Aigoo, so, you are human. You do care.”

“Aish! Don’t touch my hair. I hate it and yes, of course I do. So, tell me what can this best friend of yours do to make you feel better?”

“Best friend? Are you serious? We are not even close friends yet and you are calling us best friends. You are such a kid Kris!” saying that you broke into a laugh.

“Ya, ya is that important now? Do you want me to speak to Hyung?”

“Ah! I remember how come you are so close with him? He even called you by your real name.”

“I met him through a mutual friend before I debuted. He is a really good brother and took great care of me. By the way, you can call me Yifan too, you don’t need to be jealous.”Kris answered with a smirk. Oh! That smirk of his! You wanted to wipe it off his face!

“Yah! Who said I wanted to call you Yifan or that I am jealous?”

Kris started to laugh and you couldn’t help but smile. You don’t know when and how but those fights had made you both closer. Kris had his way of making you laugh, of making you forget about other things. He seemed really nice and you guessed it wouldn’t be bad being friends with him. You anyways didn’t know many people in Seoul and Sasha moved out too. You looked at him, gave a genuine smile and said, “Don’t worry, my new best friend. I am perfectly fine. Of course, I was surprised but what can I do?”

He looked at you confused and said, “So, you are giving up?”

“Wasn’t it obvious that they are in love? Who am I to even try coming in between?”

“You liked him, didn’t you? And I know it wasn’t the Luhan kind of love so why aren’t you sitting inside your room, watching a romantic movie, crying and eating buckets of ice cream?”

You laughed when he said that, “You think all girls do that?  Sorry to burst your bubble but I don’t.  Yes, I liked him but it’s okay because he likes someone else. I never like reading about 3rd person in love stories neither do I like watching villains plotting in dramas so why would I become the person I don’t like?”

“Wah! Really! You are really different. It’s just been a day and you already composed yourself?”

“Human emotions can be altered. You have to convince yourself that you are okay to actually be okay.”

“What do you mean?”

“You know how people say; you can’t control whom to fall in love with? I don’t believe in that. Maybe that happens initially but we can always control how much we can love a particular person and besides, for Joong Oppa, it hadn’t turn into love yet, I simply liked him. Like and Love are two separate emotions, the latter one is obviously stronger but even if I did love him, I would never be the third person.”

“So you are saying you can control whom to love and whom not to? That’s stupid!”Kris was finding it strange how you seemed perfectly fine but more than that, it was annoying him seeing your perspective on this.

“Don’t you have control over your anger? Don’t you know when you have hit the high point? Have you ever not controlled your anger so that you wouldn’t do something stupid? Have you ever not tried to stop your tears because you don’t want to show them to the other person? Aren’t anger and tears, emotions? If it is and if we can control those, then why can’t we control love? Isn’t love an emotion as well?”

“Wah! Your theory is crazy but it does make a little sense. I guess you have been hurt really badly hence you are so strong. Whoever was that guy surely made an impact.”

“You learn from mistakes.”

Kris looked like he wanted to ask something more about that but he instead asked, “But tell me something, will you always step away when there is a third person involved?”

“Not necessarily. I won’t step back if I was the first person and if he loves me back too but if I reached late and if they are already in love then why cause trouble? Isn’t it better to step away then to spend your life plotting and envying someone’s happiness? Why should we lament or cry over someone when that person no longer cares or never cared?”

Yes, you sounded cold but that was the truth. Of course, tiny butterflies were forming but all that vanished when you witnessed the kiss. You always thought you could control your emotions. As silly as it may sound, you were very careful about whom you could fall in love with. Experiences make a person and experience had made you into a person who now even controlled whom to fall in love with or not. It had come to such a point that now, you would actually analyze a person. You were not ready to blindly fall in love. You had to weigh all the pros and cons, thinks about the what ifs and what nots, think about whether it was actually possible.

This was stupid, no one could control an emotion as strong as love but that was you.

Kris POV

It wasn’t something that someone would usually say but it did make some sense, if not everything. You were different, so different from her.

He kept asking himself, “Why should I keep searching for her in you or anyone else? Why should I wait for her when she’s already in love with someone else?”

He walked towards the drawer and picked up the picture of him and her. It said, “Mei Chan and Yifan forever”. He broke into a smile for the first time in years while looking at the picture and said, “Guess forever does not necessarily mean forever.”

 

             ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Call me crazy, but that’s how love is defined for the OC. It sounds cold but everyone has different perspectives about things right? Not everyone loves the same way neither do they define love the same way and this is just her crazy way of defining love.

The story maybe going too slow for some of you but I don’t want it to be just another hurried cliché love story. This story has different perspectives about the usual things so I would request you all to be open about it. If it was not obvious from Kris’s POV, you reminded him of someone else and that was the reason he was trying to get so close to you.

 

P.S. Does anyone want to have a question round with the characters?