Chap 11

The perfect couple

[Key]

I dropped myself to the chair after listening to the doctor:

-We are so sorry, mr. Kim. We did try our best, but your mother’s condition is worse and worse. You should prepare…She can pass away anytime…

Pass away, pass away, pass away… Those words keep repeating in my brain, everywhere and everytime, at every night, it became the worst nightmare obsessing me every night…

I stood beside the glass of  the emergency room where is lying my mom. She looks so pale. The chapped lips that always make warm smiles cant smile again. Her soft hands before got chapped since when i dont know because of overwork. Her forehead traced the wrinkles-because of countless time I made my mom worried.  Her eyes closed tight. I can t image one day they never open…one day I will never see my mom… No, I still do nothing for her. She put up with every sadness in the world and now she has to pass away in pain like that?????? No, NO!!! God, it’s not fair. Can God take me away and leave my mother alive please???

[Amber]

I silently stood beside Key, seeing him crying his heart out. I never see this side of him. I only think he is clumsy, and gentle, and optimistic. That’s all, and nothing more. I have no right to claim I love him. His image now…it’s just like myself 10 years ago when my parents died. Hurt. Scared. Guilty. And lonely.  . Each tear shedding from his eyes is like a sword stabbing at my heart. I come to him, hugging him from behind. My tears are silently streaming drenching his back “Im so sorry Kibum oppa…” I can feel his back is shaking between sobs. Oppa ah…Tell me what can I do to bring your shining smile back??? I hugged him tightly, and hold his hands, hoping it can take any effect…

Finally he went sitting on the chair. He doesn’t cry now, but his eyes…they are empty.

-Amber ah…

His voice is totally insensitive. I know, that’s when it’s the most painful. Holding his hands tighter,  I quietly said:

 -Yes, oppa?

-You know how it feels when seeing ur family destroyed right?

-…

-She isn’t worth being treated like that! I haven’t done anything for her yet! All I did is making her nervous, opposing to her, making her life harder with my spoiled character…Amber…I don’t deserve to be a human being…

-No, don’t say that oppa…

-Even when she only wants me to have fixed future with a good girlfriend, I opposed to her last dream…I should go to hell…

-Oppa, listen to me! I understand ur feeling. I know it too clearly. Oppa, make ur mother’s dream come true!

He is bewildered. “What do u mean?”

 

[No one’s POV]

-Omma ah…

-Anyeonghaseyo ajuma! Nice to meet you. Im Kibum oppa’s friend. My name is Amber, just call me Am, auntie.

Finally after 1 day Key’s mother can wake up. But she is very pale and weak. She cant move from the bed. Although she tried to open eyes widely, she is too weak to do that. But in that pale face we can see a tiny light of happiness seeing her son with a “girlfriend”. Her sentences are like whispers:

-Nice to meet you too dear. Come here beside me…

Amber come to her, holding her raw-boned hand while Key held the other hand.

-Am ah…please take care of my Kibum…

-Of course auntie. But he is very childish, u know?  He cant do anything without mom. When being with me, he keeps saying “My mom is like this”, “my mom said like that” and sometimes make me crazy. So, auntie ah, he cant survive without you. You should live at least until you are 100, kay?

-Haha I don’t think you are so childish baby. Of course I will live very long….  

Amber does bring vitality to this room, although she knows the auntie’s voice cracked a bit in last words. She quickly come to the table, trim the apples, cheerly talking to the woman as if she just got normal stomache.

-U know auntie, ur son took even 3 hours in mart to choose these three kilograms apples. So u must eat all, kay? ^^

Key and the woman all smiled. Key feels so gratitude to Amber. She is so kind. That’s why he loves her so much. And his mom is less worried about her son, plus this girl does save her from despair thinkings… 

1 week  have passed. And magically Key’s mom’s condition didnt get worse. Doctors just can call it “magic”. The woman’s mental life even gets better,seeing Amber visited her everyday n cheer her up with her funny stories.

[At Key’s house]

-Oppa ah…I must confess that I cant cook, cuz I always eat fast food, noodle, or go to some diner…

-No u must learn how to cook cuz u will be my wife someday…Ah, ah, no, I mean u r a girl right? U r supposed to cook well.

Amber n Key all blushed after what Key said. “My wife someday”???????

Amber nervously took kimbap she made for Key to taste. After eating, Key frowned immediately and shook his head like crazy, which made Amber more and more afraid.

-Is it that bad? I said it before! What if u got stomache? Ottokke!!!

Key cant help smiling before her cute reaction. He thumbs up:

-No it’s delicious baby ^^ Ouch, why do u hit ur lovely complimentor huh???

Amber turned away with her kimbap, went straight   away to the hospital, doesn’t bother to wait for Key however loud he shouts.

Seem like everything got better.

But the worst is still before.