Chapter 7

Not Skinny Enough

 

The air was different, somewhat relaxing, when Minseok stepped outside of the airport into the city of Beijiing, eager to explore the foriegn country. ("Ge ge, the air is just really polluted here.") Minseok figured getting away from the place that sprouted all these troubles, problems, misery would be a good thing for him. 
 
But of course, Xiumin managed to follow Minseok all the way to China. At first, Minseok wasn't all too happy that the fact Xiumin decided to tag along. But after much convincing from Xiumin, he realized it wasn't Xiumin that made him miserable, it was the unecessary memories from his childhood in the heart of South Korea that drove him far off the edge, into a whole different country. It was that last chance of hope Luhan gave to him, only to have it ripped away from his grasp in an instant. It was that feeling of being beaten down every single time he tried to get up to the point where he just couldn't handle it anymore. He needed an escape; an escape from the past and a possibility of a brighter future in store for him. He wasn't sure that coming to China would ultimately insure that for him, but he's willing to take the risk.
 
However, as that urge of wanting to eat gnawed at his stomach Xiumin reminded Minseok that China was just a fresh start, not to go back to his normal habits of actually eating. Minseok wanted to argue, wanted to scream at Xiumin to let him eat the delicious food that Beijing had to offer, but when he got a good look at himself in the mirror, he decided that maybe Xiumin was right. It took him a couple of minutes to realize that he had started crying while looking at himself in the airport's bathroom mirror, that feeling of disgust driving full force into his heart. He quickly wiped the tears falling from his eyes with the back of his hand, sniffling a bit as he splashed some water onto his face. He shook his head, plastered on that smile everyone came to know and walked outside to Zitao who was arguing with one of the workers in Mandarin, something about not being able to find his Gucci luggage amongst the baggage claim.
 
--
 
Minseok found it relaxing as he stared out the window of the taxi car, watching the scenery unfold itself to the petite Korean boy looking for a better future. Zitao is talking Mandarin at 50 miles per hour and Minseok has a hard time trying to keep up in the conversation with the taxi driver, so he stayed quiet and enjoyed the rest of the ride.
 
--
 
"He what?!" Luhan exclaimed, practically bolting off his bed to stare wide-eyed at the two pair, Chanyeol and Baekhyun. 
 
"Yeah, he never explained why though. He and Zitao just got on the next plane off to China." Chanyeol said, shrugging as he grabbed the blankets from Luhan, dragging it off his bed. Luhan whined, eyebrows
furrowed in confusion.
 
"I would've hoped he'd tell me, at least." Luhan said, pouting a bit. 
 
Baekhyun grabbed Luhan's pillow, slapping him with it. "Yah, you're the that's been ignoring him! If I were Xiumin I would never talk to you again!" 
 
Baekhyun stalked out of Luhan's room, leaving an awkward Chanyeol standing at the foot of his bed.
 
"I mean, Baek has a point." Chanyeol started off saying, shrugging a bit. "Xiumin never told me anything between you two, but I could tell he was hurting." Luhan sat there for a moment, blinking. He seemed like he was in deep thought, trying to plan things out inside his head.
 
Chanyeol was quiet for once, turning around to stop Baek from ripping apart Luhan's place before--"Chanyeol?"
 
Chanyeol stopped in his tracks.
 
"How would you and Baekhyun like to go to Beijing with me?"
 
There was a small awkward silence between the two.
 
"Chan-"
 
"BAEKHYUN WE'RE GOING ON VACATION!"
 
--
 
It's been one week in China and things were slightly looking better for Minseok, despite the fact he still prefers not to eat anything and sticks to water, or ocassionally some bubble tea now and then. He actually got a job working in a bubble tea shop and was given a worker's discount and got one free bubble tea everyday. He figured it wouldn't hurt, and ignored the way Xiumin glared at him in disgust. 
 
He visited tourist sites with Zitao, marveling at the scenery from on the Great Wall of China, clinging onto Zitao when the pathway got steep and he was afraid of losing his balance. He stared up in awe at the Forbidden City, running around the place exclaiming, "This place is huge!" Minseok swore they only explored half of the Forbidden City, making Zitao promise they'll come back before they have to go back to South Korea, but he refused to think about his departure, rather focusing on China and China itself.
 
Minseok kept his promise, and walked out of the store with a happy Zitao staring admiringly at his new Gucci wallet, practically hugging the life out of his short ge ge.
 
--
 
When Minseok was younger he feared change. He remembered his last year of high school, how he refused to believe he was a senior and he was just days away from graduating and starting a whole new life, a whole new career. It scared him, the idea of having to fend for himself and leave on his own, getting a job and going to college. He was terrified, that small monster hiding in his thoughts started gnawing on his insides, leaving him a nervous wreck whenever his friends mentioned the word "graduation." Understand that Minseok hated high school and was just as excited of getting the hell out of there, but only to end up where? That was his initial fear. Not knowing where he was going, not knowing what the future had in store for him. He was lost, so hopelessly lost that he couldn't find his way back onto the road. Everything was jumbled inside of his head, and he couldn't think. He felt like he was suffocating at the single thought of heading off to college or getting a job or having a completely different lifestyle. He wasn't a kid anymore, and reality hit him hard against the back when graduation rolled on by and he was standing amongst his obnoxious classmates in their cap and gown, waiting for their name to be called. 
 
One by one he watched his friends go up and get there diploma, faces filled with smiles and no hint of fear in their expressions. It was when they called his name that he realized this was it, this was the end. So as he climbed up those four small steps up onto the podium, quickly striding over to the principal as he flashe a smile towards the crowds of parents watching as he quickly gripped the diploma in one hand, the clammy hands of the principal's in the other, that he realized there was no turning back. One obstacle was out of his way, and he had the diploma to prove. So when he proceeded down back to his classmates, scattering around to find his friends gathered together, cheering and fist pumping, that in life there will be so many more obstacles, so many more changes he'll have to deal with. This was just one of them.
 
Somehow between the way his classmates pushed against eachother, cheers roaring as they awaited that moment where they'd toss there caps into the air, he felt someone slip their hand into his, lacing their fingers together. He turned around and found a smiling Luhan, who squeezed his hand and yelled at him through the many voices.
 
"Promise me things won't change?" Minseok managed to hear Luhan yell, noticing the flickering fear embedded behind Luhan's eyes. It was a simple question that could've meant anything. But somehow Minseok knew exactly what Luhan meant, and at that moment, Minseok suddenly didn't feel so alone as he nodded his head quickly, a bright smile pulling on his lips. 
 
"I promise."
 
--
 
It was nights like these where Minseok found himself waking up in tears, heart racing and cheeks flushed. He suddenly felt a warm hand against his forehead.
 
"Ge ge, are you okay?" came the soft whisper from Zitao, who was kneeling next to his bed, a worried look on his face. Minseok nodded, taking in a shaky breathe.
 
Zitao made the older scoot over, slipping himself under the blanket next to Minseok, hugging the older to his chest as his crying turned into loud sobs, his body shaking heavily against the younger's arm.
 
It was nights like these where Xiumin haunted Minseok's dreams, turning them into unpleasant nightmares.
 
--
 
Fourth week in China and Minseok already doesn't want to leave. Things have been getting better over time, and he honestly wants to live here forever.
 
It's his last day working at the bubble tea shop, savoring his last free bubble tea drink as he sips away, back pressed against the count as he carelessly play on his phone. Business is slow at this time around. 
 
However, he hears the chime of a bell, indicating a customer just walked. Minseok quickly turned around, a smile on his face until he saw who was standing on the other side.
 
"L-Luhan."
 
 
 
 
 
 
--
AUTHOR'S NOTE: HELLO GUYS I'VED MISSED YOU! <3 I'm back with an update, a update I must re-edit however! It's not my best writing, but I hope you enjoy it! It's kind of all over the place but I kind of wrote it like that for'a reason! Hehe, so Minseok's in China ooohhh! And APPARENTLY SO IS LUHAN NOWW! /gasps. Hehe, anyway. I'LL BE BACK WITH ANOTHER UPDATE SOON! Untill then comment, criticize, or just say hi! <3 ouo THANK YOU FOR STICKING BY WITH ME AND THANK YOU FOR SUBSCRIBING<3
 
 
((@jngdongwoo follow me on twitter let's talk ouo))