Chapter 8

Monsters (a yoonyul zombie fic)

71 hours…

I remember our first dates…

One of the places where we usually go is out dancing. No matter what song, no matter how fast or slow the beat is, you only have one dance move, do you remember?

It’s that one where you have your arms around me…

I used to love those fast songs, one where you feel intoxicated to the rhythms of the music… But it change drastically, after I met you…

Now I love those slow songs… Because that’s when you pull me closer to you, and you would bury your face in my neck, stealing kisses on my shoulder and neck when you think no one is watching…

And even with the deafening sound of the club’s music, still I could hear that faint whisper when you would say to me…

“I love you so much Yoong…”

Those words always make me hold you much closer, smiling as your words would echo inside my head. You would whisper it again…

“I love you so much, my baby…”

And sometimes when you are feeling a bit mischievous, you give my a pinch. But most of the time, you would couple it with a few tender kisses, this time not caring who’s watching. You’re going to kiss me anyway…

I love hearing those words from you… because when you say it, I felt like it was a promise of forever. And I believe it. I believe everything you say… That’s why it kills me to hear these words from you now. because it doesn’t feel like a promise anymore, baby. It sounded more like a goodbye.

Flashback…

Yuri’s eyes quickly scans at the terrified faces in that room, but it locked at the beautiful girl, quiet yet trembling in the corner. Yoona’s stance showed the same amount of fear that the other girls have, but Yoona’s doe eyes revealed a deeper level of dread none of these girls could ever relate to.

It was the fear of losing the one you love…

“Yul?”

Yuri’s senses return back from the room as she heard her name. 

“Ummm yeah…. Ahhhh….” 

Yuri turns to her palms and found them quivering and sweaty. It’s strange how from Yuri it feels like it’s an omen of bad things to come. But she quickly shakes it off, this is the worse time to worry right now. She needs to get her head screwed on right, so they can make it out alive.

But instead of saying anything, it was as if another force have pulled her closer to Yoona. She held Yoona in her arms, but unlike most times were Yoona would just surrender in her embrace. This time she didn’t even move an inch closer. 

Yuri tilts Yoona’s chin to give her an apologetic kiss but Yoona turned her head away, screwing her eyes shut from Yuri’s pleading.

“I don’t understand why you have to do this…”

As Yuri sees the look of desperation in Yoona’s eyes, she couldn’t believe just what she did.

How selfish could she be, to put Yoona in all this misery? 

“Grab everything we have and let’s just get out of here…” 

Everyone looks up in surprise at the change of Yuri’s plan. 

“The door is bolted for now, but we don’t know how long it’ll stay that way when those people try to break in…” 

“Where are we going to go?” 

Everyone turns as they hear the condescending tone in Hyomin’s voice.

“Some place else… it’s not safe here… we don’t know what those people can do to us.”

“Where specifically is that safe place, Yuri?” Hyomin takes incriminating steps towards Yuri “Because as far as I know every inch of this Earth have turned into hell!!!”

“Hyomin… stop” Sunny tries to pull her lover away. 

“No…” Hyomin pulls away “I’m not going to listen to some lovesick puppy about what I have to do.”

Yuri was hardly the type to lose her composure, even if people are prodding and pushing her to the edge. But this was the wrong time now, and Yuri felt her sanity slipping as she take step by step closer to Hyomin.

“Yes… this world is screwed up… and we can take two options. One is we sit here and wait like target practice for these sickos or two we can get out of here, fight if we have to and find someplace else.” Yuri growls lightly.

Yuri could feel Yoona’s fingers clutching on her, pulling her away from Hyomin.

“This is not the time for this…” Taeyeon steps in… “We need to think together, if we want to get out of this alive.”

The girls all jumped back as they hear the sound banging through their barraged doors.

“This is my home, Kwon…” Hyomin taunts Yuri “I’m not going to let anyone tell me to leave.”

“Then, don’t…” Yuri’s growl has now raise a pitch higher “All I care about is everyone making it out safe.”

“What’s out there isn’t safe either, Kwon…”

But before Yuri could answer back, the girls could hear the door have finally ends up in splinters as heavy footsteps have now made their way inside the living room.

“Crap…” Yuri says through her clench teeth… 

“What are we going to do now, Yul?”
Again, Yuri wasn’t able to answer as Hyomin pulls out her pistol and walks to the door.

“What the hell are you doing?!” Sunny would have like to scream, but ended up hissing. “You want to give out our hiding spot?”

Hyomin yanks her arm off Sunny “This is not the time to act like some frail little chick… This is our home, Sunny… and were going to protect it.”

But this time it was Yuri who grabs Hyomin by the shoulders and slams her against the wall.

“I know this home is important to you, but the people in this house are the ones worth protecting. I’m not going to let you go out there.”

Hyomin tries to push back, but it only made Yuri pushed her even harder.

“Let go of me… I know what I’m doing… I’m going to shoot all of them before they get to us… simple, right?”

“Wrong.”

“We are going to lose everything that we try to protect if you don’t go out there.”

Hyomin caught Yuri unguarded and shoves the girl aside… But before Yuri could chase her down, Hyomin already got out the room.

*

Hyomin growls in disgust as she sees those hideous monsters scowering around their home, like some rats looking scouring for morsels of leftovers.

She leans close behind the stairs railing, pulling out her gun and pulls out her gun and aim her target right at the skull of one those huge head men.

“You disgusting pigs…”

A low grunt was heard before the heavy set man fell down on top of the lanky guy walking in front of him.

“What the fu-“ One of the man curses as a heavy body landed on top of him. “Are you fukcing with me?!”

But as he was about to hound the huge useless *******, the thin, lanky man who considers himself their leader raise his hand to silence him. He walks over and saw the cause of it.

“What the-“

A gunshot wound right at the back of the skull.

Bang.

Another man was silenced as the man got shot straight at the forehead.

“Enough with games!”

And Hyomin dives to the floor right on time, as the bullets starts flying from everywhere. She took a deep breath before aiming again, but right before she had her shot, she didn’t realize that she was hanging on a creaky railing…

*

Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!

The girls pull closer together as they heard a fatal cry from Hyomin.

“HYO!!!”

But before Sunny could storm out, Yuri pushed her hard to ground and walk to the door.

“STAY HERE! IT’LL BE OK, I promise you that…”

Yuri walks out of the door before anybody could say anything. 

*

“Why look what we have here?”

Hyomin didn’t even dare look up, she could already picture the disgusting smirks on their faces as they run their eyes on her.

“Let her go!”

The men looked up and couldn’t believe their luck as a raven haired beauty appeared out of the shadows. 

Hyomin raise her head up and looks at Yuri in fright. Then, she realized what Yuri did. If Yuri started firing the men could start fighting back… She chose once again the side that’s going to save the others.

“Why would we do that?”

“Because the world is sick now as it is, you people can do more good than bad.”

Yuri says in a calm manner, hoping to appeal to the men’s kinder side. But instead the men just grunts at her. 

“Think again, darling…”

But as the lanky man was about to grab at her, Yuri was quick enough to draw out her gun, aiming right straight at his forehead. 

“Think again, darling…” Yuri says mockingly at the man. 

They could hear the eerie guttural moans of the undead coming closer.

“They are coming closer, but we can make it out alive.” Yuri continues to negotiate “You let her go, and I’ll let your friend go…”

Their leader just smirks smugly, knowing the girl doesn’t have the guts to shoot it.

“Oh yeah?! You don’t have the ba- AGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!”

He screeches out as he felt the warm blood trickling down his leg. 

“You don’t have it now either… Hyomin!”

Yuri hurriedly steps in front of Hyomin while the men were distracted of the horror of what might happen to them if they try to fight this woman.

“Now back off and leave before you end up like your friend…”

“Are you fukcing kidding me?!” The leader yells out “She’s a woman! Go shoo- ARRRRRRRGGGGHHHHH”

His words were broken to a blood curdling scream as an undead sinks his teeth into his neck.

“Let’s go…” Yuri quickly grabs Hyomin before they end up being victims.

The difference between Yuri and Hyomin and these men was that, the two girls were able to focus. They controlled their fears before it controls them. While the man frantically shoots everywhere, in a way they’re just like the zombies, brainless, but the zombies win this time because unlike those men, they were fearless.

Yuri looks down and sees Hyomin’s ankle swelled up, probably from the fall.

“It’s ok…” Yuri says reassuringly despite of the buzzing sound of chaos. Yuri pulls Hyomin up and let Hyomin wraps her arm around her shoulders.

“You still can shoot, right?”

Hyomin shoots a zombie to the ground.

“Does that answer your question? By the kitchen, behind the cabinet is a staircase to the second floor” 

“Good enough…” 

Hyomin wonders why after all that she did to Yuri, here was the girl still pulling her into safety. Shooting who is starting to attack them. 

“Stay here…” Yuri leans Hyomin to the wall while she runs up to push the cabinet, just enough for her and Hyomin to squeeze in. 

UARGH!

Yuri turns around just in time to see a zombie lunge right at Hyomin. Hyomin tries to push away, the smell of the heady death coming from his mouth was enough to blurred her focus.

“UGH!”

Hyomin breathe out a relief as somebody yanks the zombie out of her.

“GO! GO! GO!” Yuri screams out for Hyomin to get up the stairs.

Hyomin nods, limping her way to the small creak of space that Yuri provided for their escape. 

Yuri was fumbling on the floor for her gun. She was pinned down to the ground with the undead’s mouth just inches away from ripping her flesh off her. 

Bang…

Yuri screwed her eyes shut as she felt his membranes splatter throughout her face. She throws him off her, and ends up gasping as she saw her only means of escape has four ghouls clawing themselves at the open space.

Bang. 

The zombies spun around at the sound and reaches out their rotting flesh to grab on to Yuri. Yuri looks around and made a quick scan of the kitchen, trying to find something to save herself from them.

She took a couple of steps back, and grips tighter at the dinner chair… When she felt, they were close enough, she uses it to swing right at them, knocking them down to the ground.

It didn’t kill them, but it bought Yuri some time to escape, dashing through the side so she could make her way to safety.

Offffff…

Yuri landed with a hard thud, as one of the ghouls yanks her down to the ground. Yuri starts crawling out but the feeling of their fingers clenching through her jeans was enough to weaken her. 

But she remembers the girl waiting for her, she couldn’t give up now…

She spun around and raises herself up a bit, before aiming their gun at them.

Bang. Bang. Bang.

This time she made sure they’re dead.

*

Yuri could feel her pulse beating out of her system and air running out as she manages to escape. She sat down on the stairs, leaning herself on the wall for support.

She was getting too damn exhausted…

But she tries to shake it all off, and just when she felt she got the strength to walk up. She felt like something was constricting , she was wondering what it was. Was the air getting too heavy? Was it her fear?

And she looks at her arm, she realized that it was the latter.

Because nothing could scare her more than this…

*

“Baby…”

Yoona wraps Yuri in a tight embrace as her lover walks into the room. But Yoona could immediately sense that something was wrong, just from the way Yuri have stiffen up in their embrace. Yuri runs her fingers through Yoona’s hair before finally pulling the girl close to her arms. 

“Yul… what’s wrong?”

The frightened look in Yuri’s face shattered everyone’s composure. Even if Yuri was trying to hold it in together, to keep herself from shaking and to hold back her tears even if her eyes were b.

Yuri was their rock, the reason why they haven’t faltered to their fears just yet. What would they do without the steadying force that Yuri have kept them in?

“Baby… what’s wrong?”

Yuri’s hand was trembling as she lift up her sleeve and everyone let out a gasp as they saw the bluish teeth marks in her wrist.

“I… I… I got bit…”

*

Everyone felt their heart clench as they saw the bite mark on Yuri’s wrist. Only Yoona was the one who was able to move.

“It’s ok… it’s okay…” she says in her trembling voice, her hands shaking as she hold onto Yuri’s wrist. “The bite didn’t penetrate through the skin. We just need an antiseptic to clean up the wound… it will all be okay…”

Yoona pulls away from Yuri, and hurriedly runs to the medicine box. She felt her heartbeat racing, the tears she was trying to hold was now flowing mercilessly as she try to dig inside the medicine box.

Tiffany and Taeyeon look at each other hopelessly as they watch their dongsaeng, they don’t know how to comfort her. In the end, it was Yuri who walks over to Yoona.

“Baby…”

Yuri holds on to Yoona and turns to face her.

“It’s not going to work…”

“We haven’t even tried it!!”

“Unnnie… unnie..” Yoona turns to Sunny “Unnie… what is the cause of all this? If this is a virus, what if we do an amputation to Yuri’s wrist?”

Yuri’s eyes immediately look frightened at the thought of her hand being cut off.

“Yoona… I’m not sure how fast the virus have traveled to her system already.”

“Then, what do we do? Just wait for her to suffer and die?”

“Right now… we don’t know…”

“Then, try!!!” Yoona starts to cry out “We are doctors got damn it! We went 12 God damn years to learn how to save people’s lives….”

Yoona looks up and sees the pitiful looks everyone was giving her. She didn’t need anyone’s pity right now, what she needed was a miracle. 

“I always thought that when I become a doctor, I could do anything, save anybody…”

Yoona ends up covering her face, heaving as she starts to cry. Cry in desperation, hopelessness…

I couldn’t even save the one I love…

Yoona takes out an alcohol bottle with shaky hands. She ends up spilling it on the floor.

“It’s going to be okay…”

Yuri tries to reassure her lover, even if she doesn’t believe in it. She starts to cradle Yoona who was now crying so hard in her arms. 

Yuri tried to keep it together, but something inside her was begging her to just let it out and cry. But when fear and hopelessness starts brewing inside you? what can you even say? What can you even do to make yourself feel better?

“I love you so much, Yoong…” Yuri murmurs softly before pressing her lips in Yoona’s hair… “I love you so much, my baby…”

Taeyeon motioned everyone that they should walk away and let the two be alone. Right now, even if they all want to comfort Yuri, they all know that right now, the only one that Yuri needs is the one wrap in her arms.

*

They could still hear the wails of the undead just one floor below them. Instead of fighting, the girls just ends up slumping down into the walls in the hallway. None of them have the strength to fight back, none of them find any reason too. 

*

End of flashback…

I remember our first dates…

Even if I prefer staying home with you cuddle up just watching a movie, still you always have a way of getting me out and about.

I actually hated dancing, and Sooyoung and Hyo would give out these pouts, pretending to be upset on why I would hurriedly go dancing with you, but I would decline everytime they ask me too…

I would just laugh, I guess you just have that power in me…

Another thing that I havent told them is that I found the best place on Earth when I’m with you. If you weren’t a doctor, I would totally imagine you to be a dancer, no matter what beat, fast or slow, it looks to me like the rhythm would fit to every move you make. The way your hips sway, how graceful yet powerful every move is, it’s no surprise why everyone would want to dance with you.

But out of all the dance, there is one that I love the most…

It’s that one where you have your arms around me…

And it’s during those times that I feel like it’s just you and me in this world. I could feel your smile buried in my neck, and when I have you to hold it was when I felt like the luckiest person on Earth.

“I love you so much Yoong…”

Those words are the ones I want to whisper to you eternally… I know it sound cliché, but baby, it’s my promise to you forever.

I never dare told you this but I always hated dancing, but I always love holding you.

“I love you so much, my baby…”

Are the words I could say, to avoid saying goodbye.

70 hours…

TBC