Chapter 10

Monsters (a yoonyul zombie fic)

Chapter 10

 

 

I’m trapped in memories of you, no
Please hold onto my hand, so that I can wake up
Please don’t go

 

 

-Coma, B.A.P 

 

 

They came like little fragments of her past…

 

 

The stench of the rotting flesh, the guttural moan in chorus with the screams of help and desperation, teeth gnashing into flesh they come alive again in her dreams…  The memories feel so vivid, that it felt like she was living them once again.

 

 

But in her dreams, Yuri pushes them all away because there was only one thing she wanted to do.  She ran and ran and ran, yelling out her lover’s name. She would run some more until she could almost touch her fingertips, but just when they were about to touch she wakes up.

 

 

She wakes up, gasping for breath, drench with sweat and her cheeks stained with tears.

 

 

Yuri looks around the room, it was dark with a little light streaming from the blinds. What little light she has, she used to make out the outline of the room. She was still in the same room, like she did the night before and the other nights before that…

 

 

She tried banging on the door before, trying to ask for help, but its like nobody was on the other side. Or maybe they were, they just ignored her like they did the night before and the other nights before that…

 

 

Nowadays when she wakes up, the only thing she could do is stare blankly at the ceiling. Half of her begging her consciousness not to fall back into that same nightmare, but the other half was telling her that now, her nightmares is the only place she could see her…

 

 

And like it always does, her urges to see Yoona was stronger than any other. Soon she returns back to sleep, reliving the nightmare but hoping this time, she could finally reach her darling and hold her, even if its just in her dreams.

 

 

 ***

 

“Y-yoona?”

 

 

Yoona ignores her unnie and continue watching the stars. There they were, millions of them, twinkling beautifully as if they are reminders that they are now living a new world but Yoona never appreciated it.

 

 

People are always telling her she should consider herself lucky for surviving the ordeal. That she’s now part of the history books as one of the fortunate survivors who survived the plague.

 

 

Unfortunately, lucky isn’t the word Yoona was looking for. She would rather have her existence erased, than to continue living without Yuri.

 

 

No words in any history books can be enough to describe the tragedy and suffering the people have been through. The battle of man versus nature, man versus the monsters, and much worse man vs. man.

 

 

That’s all the history books would write about the triumph of good over evil. It would never tell anything about the desperation, the hopelessness and suffering of losing the one you love.

 

 

“Yoona…” Taeyeon reaches out as she sees Yoona starting to cry once again… “I couldn’t even imagine how hard it is to lose Yuri but you have to know… Yuri would have wanted you to move on.”

 

 

“I SHOULD HAVE DIED WITH HER!!!!”

 

 

That was the only thing Yoona would answer anyone who tries to talk to her about moving on or about Yuri.

 

 

“Yoona!”

 

 

Taeyeon sometimes think of slapping Yoona, maybe it will knock some sense into her. It’s been a year and Yoona never chose to move on. But could she really blame Yoona? Yoona and Yuri have their whole lives build around each other, of course it killed Yoona seeing Yuri being dragged away by the military men. It killed her when all she could do is scream and beg for them to release her.

 

 

It crushed Taeyeon when she remembers the way Yoona look when they shot Yuri in cold blood. They have to drag Yoona away, no matter how much she clawed, cursed and fight them. What happened to Yuri was something no one has to suffered to and no one should ever witness.

 

 

“I’m sorry unnie…” Yoona softly apologized… “I’ll just go there in a bit, I just need some fresh air…”

 

 

And before Taeyeon could stop her, Yoona have already walked away again, with only the mocking stars to accompany her.

 

 

*

 

Flashback…

 

 

If the mood wasn’t forlorn enough the gentle pitter patter of the rain against the car window made it more dreary.

 

 

The view of the drive wasn’t so helpful either, the road was the picture of mass panic, abandoned cars, and lives left behind.

 

 

Yoona wraps her hand around Yuri’s, letting her lover fall asleep on her shoulders. It tortured Yoona that even in her slumber, Yuri looks so distressed.

 

 

 “Unnie?” Yoona quietly whispers to Sooyoung, making sure Yuri won’t wake up or hear anything.

 

 

“Hmmm?”

 

 

Sooyoung waited for a bit until Yoona finally spoke up, her voice wavering at every word.

 

 

“If Yuri transform and you have to kill her I… I would understand…” Yoona swallows a huge lump on .  “Everyone’s safety is what matters most.”

 

 

Sooyoung clenches the steering wheel tightly, hoping that she won’t have to resort to that.

 

 

“But if you kill her, I just have one favor to ask from you…”

 

 

“What is it?”

 

 

Yoona bit her lower lip, her tears start forming once again… But she shakes it off, before they start falling again.

 

 

“Please kill me too…”

 

 

“Yoona…” Sooyoung says desperately… wishing to get out of the tight spot. “I don’t think Yuri would want that, she would want you to be move on…”

 

 

“In this world? Unnie… does any of us even have a chance? Yuri is the one who keeps telling us to fight and then this happens… and now look what happened to her…”

 

 

“Yoong…”

 

 

“Yul?”

 

 

Yoona didn’t think that Yuri woke up, but she did, she had her arms wrap around Yoona, embracing her to the point that they’re both breathless.

 

 

“Why are you saying that Yoong?” Yuri says in a harsh tone… 

 

 

“What do you expect me to do?”

 

 

Yoona brushes her tears away, teeth gritting in anger. People always say how hard it is to leave somebody, don’t they know how much worse it feels getting left behind?

 

 

“You just expect me move on? I can’t do that, Yul…”

 

 

“You have to… that’s what I would want for you…”

 

 

“What on Earth is this?”

 

 

The two girls turn and saw what Sooyoung was talking about. Ahead of them, the roads are barricaded by uniformed men. There are hundreds maybe even thousands of people are trying to force their way inside the steel fortresses. Buying at the thought that what lies behind the gates are their only chance of surviving.

 

 

“Just stay here…” Sooyoung told the two before putting on the brakes on the car and stepping out.

 

 

Hyoyeon and Taeyeon stepped behind the other vehicle and followed behind Sooyoung. Like everybody else they wonder what is happening in front of them. Is this their resolution? Or is the place where they would ultimately lead them to their deaths?

 

 

“What’s going on?” Hyoyeon asks one of the more calmer among the frantic people in the crowd.

 

 

“The government has finally put up several safe zones in the area. But they’re screening for the infected… If they think you got bit, no questions ask they just shoot you...”

 

 

*

 

 

“We don’t have to go there, Yul…”

 

 

Yoona takes Yuri’s hand in hers, squeezing them reassuringly.

 

 

“No…” Yuri cups Yoona’s cheeks, pressing their foreheads together as she tries to reason out. “Baby… listen…”

 

 

“No…” Yoona shaking her head, refusing to listen to any reason… “I know what you’re going to say.. and no… I won’t leave you…”

 

 

“No… Look… Babe… you have to listen” Yuri’s voice was starting to quake no matter how much she struggled to control them. “If that’s the only way for you to survive this, then you have to go…”

 

 

“I don’t want to… I can’t be apart from you…” Yoona tries to smile, hoping it could soothe them and make Yuri understand. “I mean look at you now, you are still okay… What if were jumping to conclusions? What if you’re going to be okay?”

 

 

Yoona was trying hard to convince Yuri, but all Yuri could see were the tears streaming in Yoona’s eyes. Because even if Yoona said it, she knew that both of them don’t believe it…

 

 

“We don’t know that and I don’t want to risk you getting hurt…” Yuri gently wipes away the tears in Yoona’s cheeks.

 

 

“And you think this wouldn’t hurt me? You think it’s easy?” Yoona knew she would never be, as there she was helpless, trembling with only Yuri’s embrace keeping her from falling.

 

 

“Just stay with me Yul…” Yoona whispers, her voice full of pleading… “Please baby…”

 

 

Yuri looks up and the first thing that she saw was the stalwart fences that separate them from safety. she looks back at Yoona, a phrase starts to echo inside her head…

 

 

Til death do we part…

 

 

Til death do we part…

 

 

Til death…

 

 

Those words kept ringing in Yuri’s head, that was the vow they’re supposed to make. But now that she’s about to carve those words into stone, Yuri don’t think she could do it… She couldn’t let Yoona die…

 

 

“I can’t… Sorry Baby but I can’t…”

 

 

 “Don’t…” Yoona’s clutch on Yuri grew tighter… “Don’t say that… Please!”

 

 

The two were interrupted when they hear a sudden tap on the car window. It was a uniformed officer, looking at the two of them suspiciously…

 

 

“Yes sir?”

 

 

“We need everyone to step out of their vehicles, so the screening process would go by faster.”

 

 

From the far corner, Hyoyeon and Sooyoung grew frantic at the thought of what might happen to Yuri when the officer would find out.

 

 

“Don’t worry officer… You don’t have to screen us…” Yoona flashes a smile “Were not going to step behind those gates.”

 

 

As much as the officer got mesmerize with the smile, he shakes it off and this time demanded more clearly.

 

 

“It’s protocol maam… Please step out of the vehicle before I have to use force…”

 

 

“I told you… We don’t need to be screen since were not going inside.”

 

 

“It’s the rules maam… Please step out…”

 

 

“Yoona!”

 

 

Yuri says warningly as Yoona pulls out the gun from the backseat. But Yoona wasn’t listening to Yuri’s warning… She points the gun straight at the officer. She was ready to pull the trigger if she has to.

 

 

“I said were not going in… So leave us alone…”

 

 

“Maam?” The officer swallows a lump in his throat, his fear starting to escalate as he saw the gun being pointed at him. His eyes start to dart around the two girls, until he noticed the mark on the tanned girl’s wrist.

 

He pulls out his radio and clears his throat before saying…

 

 

“This is Officer Yeo of Sector 13 Southwest and In need of assistance, we have a possible bitten victim here…”

 

 

“NO! NO! NO!”

 

 

“Yoona!”

 

 

Yuri holds on to the girl, pulling the gun away from Yoona hoping to calm down her erratic lover.

 

 

“Ssshhhh… darling… it’s ok…”

 

 

“No… no… it’s not… he’s going to take you away.”

 

 

“I suggest you step out of the vehicle maam…” The officer commanded.

 

 

“I will… I will… now please… leave her alone…” Yuri says pleadingly. “Stay here, ok?” Yuri kisses Yoona on the lips.

 

 

“I love you…”

 

 

It was the last time that Yuri says those three words because the moment she step foot out of the door. A gun fire rang in the atmosphere, and a bullet went right through her chest.

 

 

“YUUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLL!!!!!”

 

 

Yoona screams out as she sees Yuri dropped down on the ground. 

 

 

The guard blames his careless action on his fear. But in his mind, he tries to convince himself that he’s not a coward who shot a defenseless victim, that he was a hero who is going to save people from this possible monster.

 

 

“Hyo! Get Yoona quick!” Sooyoung says as she and the girls made a mad dash to the chaos. The whole gunshot alarmed the entire crowd, escalating the already tense situation at their hands.

 

 

People continue push and shove their way, knowing the only place to escape with their lives is behind those gates.

 

 

Meanwhile, Lt. Ham Eunjung curse herself for moving too slow. No… she curse the stupid guard for shooting. This wasn’t how she and her group plan this, and now she has to make it to Yuri in time to save her.

 

 

“Maam… step away from her…” The guard says to the doe eyed beauty who was cradling the wounded girl in her arms.

 

 

“SHUT UP! You killed her! You’re happy now?!”  Yoona growls angrily…

 

 

“Yoona?”

 

 

Taeyeon tries to pull away Yoona, but it only made Yoona’s hold on Yuri tighter.

 

 

“Hey… hey… it’s okay, baby… It will be ok…” Yoona desperately tries to stop the bleeding by putting her hand on Yuri’s gunshot. “Shhhh… shhhh…”

 

 

Yoona continues to whisper a silent prayer, wiping the blood that Yuri starts to cough out.

 

 

“It will be okay… baby… it will be... it got to be...” Yoona kisses Yuri on the forehead… Listening as Yuri’s breath starts to get labored. It was getting slower and heavier by the second, and Yuri's eyes starting to shut along with her whole system. “Unnie!”

 

 

Yoona calls out helplessly to Taeyeon…

 

 

“Unnie… help me… we could patch Yuri up… Please…”

 

 

“Maam, I’m Lt. Ham Eunjung… Let me take your deceased.”

 

 

Yoona looks up and saw a strikingly beautiful woman dressed in a military uniform walking towards them.

 

 

“What are you talking about? She’s not dead…” Yoona holds tighter to Yuri…

 

 

The guard was about to take Yuri, but the Lt. stops him before he could even flinch.

 

 

“Don’t. You already cause enough trouble…” Eunjung warned him and the guard scurried away with what’s left of his pride. “Maam?”

 

 

Yoona turns pleadingly to the Lieutenant, with her tears that is enough to break people’s hearts…

 

 

“Don’t take her away… please… please… She needs medical attention right now…”

 

 

 “I’m sorry maam…” The woman says coldly “But we have to do what we have to do for the safety of people.”

 

 

“SHE’S ALREADY DYING WHAT ELSE CAN SHE DO?!” Yoona screams tearfully… “Please… I beg you… let me be with her until her last second… please?”

 

 

“I’m sorry maam, but it’s protocol”

 

 

Eunjung turns away before she could show any sign of weakness… And along with Yuri, Yoona felt herself dying along... And how she wish she did... it was an unimaginable pain, when no matter how much she holds on, still Yuri is slipping away...

 

 

 

"Dont go..." Yoona pleads... "Please don't go..." Yoona begs some more...

 

 

 

 

“Take her…” Eunjung commanded the men before walking away…

 

 

The military guards starts to pick up Yuri, and Yoona bolted up, trying to hold on to Yuri.

 

 

“No! No! No!” Yoona tries to free herself from Hyoyeon and Sooyoung’s grip “They’re taking Yuri away!!!”

 

 

“Don’t Yoong… Don’t…”

 

 

She pulls away harder, feeling her strength dwindling away as the guards carried Yuri’s body further and further away from her.

 

 

 “Let me go unnie! Let me go!”

 

 

Yoona screams, watching helplessly as they throw Yuri’s body in the back of the pick up…

 

 

“YULLLLL!!!!”

 

 

“Yoong…” Taeyeon helps to pull Yoona down…

 

 

“They’re taking her away… Unnie! They’re taking Yuri away!”

 

 

Yoona continues to fight them desperately but as she saw the truck drove away, she felt her knees drop to the ground.

 

 

The once so strong Yoona, feel so weak at that very moment… She didn’t have the strength to fight anymore and without Yuri, she lost her reason to fight…

 

 

“They took her away…”

 

 

It was all Yoona can say, before she collapses in her unnie’s arms.

 

 

End of flashback...

 

 

*

 

 

“Kwon? Kwon Yuri?”

 

 

Yuri flutters her eyes, her eyes tries to adjust to lights streaming from the now open blinds.

 

 

“It’s a beautiful day, huh? Yuri?”

 

 

Yuri stood up and walks toward the window, admiring the peaceful atmosphere outside.

 

 

“How are you feeling today?”

 

 

The doctor flashes Yuri a soft smile before saying playfully…

 

 

“Ready to visit the town?”

 

 

*

 

 

Yuri could have mistaken herself for a corpse at this very minute. She cringe at how skinny she have gotten, Yoona wouldn’t like this if she could see it.

 

 

She wonders how Yoona looks now… She bet she’s still so beautiful…

 

 

“Go take a warm shower…”

 

 

Yuri heard Eunjung yells out behind the door.  

 

 

*

 

 

Yuri have never thought a shower could be this calming. Feeling the warm water just washing away all the filth and bad memories that have took over her. She runs her hand on her chest, feeling the bullet wound close to her heart before she turns to her wrist, the bite mark was still there, but all that is left of it was a scar, as if it healed her from her nightmare.

 

 

And as she stayed, she continues to ponder.

 

 

What had happened to her? How did she even survive?

 

 

*

 

 

“Yoona…”

 

 

That was the first thing Yuri said the moment she finally stepped out of the room. It felt so good to be out and enjoy being around people. Yuri felt like it has been forever since she have felt so safe. She wonders again how Yoona is, is she safe where she is? 

 

 

“Yoona?” Eunjung asks curiously…

 

 

“Yoona? Im Yoona? Do you know anyone by that name who lives here?” Yuri says hopefully…

 

 

“Well… This is pretty much a small community so everyone knows everybody. But I’m sorry no… I don’t know anyone by that name.”

 

 

“Oh…” A part of Yuri died softly with that chance. “What is this place exactly?”

 

 

“Oh… This is sector 5 one of the safe zones or should I say survival camps… This is just 1 of the 12 camps spread around the country.”

 

 

“Survival?” Yuri turns to her with a look of surprise “You mean it’s all over?”

 

 

“Oh… it’s never over… but this time, everything is under control… The government has now eradicated most of them. The barricades are much stronger and people are more knowledgeable and equipped. It will only be some time, when everything will be back how they used to be... Think of it as a plague, and we survived it.”

 

 

“Wait… if this is just one of the survival camps, it means that if Yoona isn’t here, she might be alive in another camp…”

 

 

“Probably… Who is this Yoona, anyway?”

 

 

Eunjung asks even though she is well aware of who Yoona was…

 

 

“She’s my wife…” Yuri says… “Tell me, how do I know the different residents from other sectors? Maybe… maybe she’s in there…”

 

“Well… This is a new beginning for everybody, after the war with the monsters. Computers and data systems don’t seem to function anymore. So, were pretty much rebuilding… If ever we have a list, you should check on the city hall.”

 

 

“I… I will do that… I’m sorry if I’m asking too many questions…”

 

 

Eunjung chuckles as she sees the other girl curling up shyly. It’s not hard to get fond of the girl, Yuri was very kind hearted, she didn’t deserve any misfortune that happened.

 

 

“It’s ok… I don’t blame you for being curious…”

 

 

“Ummm yeah… I could remember that I got shot… I even got bit… How… How did I survive?”

 

 

“Well… just consider yourself lucky…”

 

 

Yuri smile thankfully before the two continue to walk in silence. Then, Yuri hears a chorus of little children eagerly reciting their alphabets.

 

 

It made Yuri smile for a little bit, maybe everything is finally getting back in order.

 

 

“That’s our preschool…” Eunjung proudly pointed out to the small, one story building. “We also have an elementary and high school. We are also planning to start a small college…”

 

 

Yuri gazes much longer at the school house across the street, but her heart suddenly clench when she saw a doe eyed girl around 4 years old, laughing whole heartedly.

 

 

It reminded her of her Yoona… They should have that, they should have this.  They should have a little baby, maybe even two of their own, their own home where they could feel safe from everything. They’re apart now, but Yuri swore she would do everything to find her.

 

 

But Yuri’s thoughts were interrupted when she caught sight of the pre school teacher. Yuri starts to walks closer to get a better glimpse, wondering if this was real. If it wasn’t real, she would blame it all on her heart, just giving her illusions like this. But when Yuri got closer, her eyes didn’t fail her at all. The teacher did look like Yoona.

 

 

She has the same large doe eyes and angelic features. This lady was dress simply, with her long dark hair in a half ponytail and no hint of make up at all. But still she was simply beautiful, just like Yoona was.

 

 

It’s their demeanor that sets them far apart. Yoona seem to be more of the modern, independent woman, confident and outspoken while this woman looks dainty and shy.

 

 

The teacher audibly gasps before turning away quickly when she saw the ravishing dark haired woman just staring at her so intensely.

 

 

“Don’t scare her, Yuri…” Eunjung says playfully, nudging the girl so they could move along.

 

 

Yuri blushes when she realizes she was staring too much and quickly turns away.

 

 

“Can you show me where the city hall is?”

 

 

This is what Hyomin was warning Eunjung about… She should have known better and listen to the other girl.

 

 

“I don’t think now is the right time to visit it…”

 

 

“Then when? I need to find Yoona now…”

 

 

Eunjung takes a sharp breath before nodding…

 

 

“Look… I have things I need to take care of… why don’t you stay here for a little bit and then when I come back I could take you there?”

 

 

“I could just go and look for it myself…”

 

 

“Hey… you need to slow down… Yoona, wherever she is, is going to be okay and safe… and you’ll find her I promise…”

 

 

“B-but…”

 

 

Eunjung didn’t wait for Yuri to finish and calls out the teacher…

 

 

 “Yoonhee…”

 

 

“Yes maam?”

 

 

Even the sound of their voice was different, this girl was so soft spoken.

 

 

“This is Kwon Yuri, she is going to work here and help you for a little bit…”

 

 

“Yes… of course…” She bows again… “Kids, can you please welcome Ms. Kwon Yuri to our class?”

 

 

The kids stood up and bows politely, Yuri smile shyly and wave dopily earning a soft laugh from Yoonhee. She moves to the back of the class and tries to squeeze in at the little arm chair designed for a 5 year old.

 

 

“Are you okay?”

 

 

Yoonhee mouthed to her and Yuri just nods.  Yoonhee returns her attention to her students, but every once in awhile she turns to the tanned girl who join in her class.

 

 

*

 

 

 

“We have waited almost two years for this and this is what you do?!”

 

 

Hyomin hissed as she watches Yuri and Yoonhee from behind the blinds. She and her two comrades were once again meeting in secret, this time at the building across the street from the school house.

 

 

“What? she has been cooped up for too long… Give her a break will you?”

 

 

Hyomin couldn’t contain her frustration, is she the only one taking this seriously?

 

 

“So, what will you do? When Geun Suk finds out that Yuri is walking around this sector… And this time, getting close to his wife?”

 

 

“This is why we would have never work out” Eunjung pointed out casually… “Because you always got that stick shove up your …”

 

 

“I’m married…” Hyomin pointed back.

 

 

“Pfft… I feel sorry for Sunny…”

 

 

“Yuri can handle herself…”

 

 

Both Hyomin and Eunjung turns to the gentleman with them.  He usually remains quiet during their meetings, just listening it to the girls conversation or more of argument. But this time, he has something to say.

 

 

“Yuri is capable of handling herself. And just in case, Geun Suk tries anything. Were here to back her up.”

 

 

Eunjung’s lips curve in a triumphant smirk but Hyomin wasn’t convince at all.

 

 

“What made you so sure of that, Daesung?’

 

 

And to that question, Daesung only has one answer…

 

 

“Because I know Yuri… and if there is anyone who could save Yoonhee from a monster, it’s Yuri…”

 

 

*

 

At the school house as much as Yoonhee wants to focus on her class. She has to admit that the girl looks so adorable as she was squish in the class small chair.

 

 

Everytime she wants to steal a glance, she always seem to catch each other’s gazes before she blushingly look away.

 

 

But all Yuri could think of that moment was Yoona. How this reminded her so much of the time she saw her up in the podium. The way Yoona smiled so shyly yet managed to still wow people effortlessly with her wit and intelligence.

 

 

Yoonhee tries to clear before turning her attention back to her students.

 


“Okay kids, who can tell me who is our sector’s leader?”

 

 

And like a chorus, the children respond in different tones and pitches…

 

 

But only one answer…

 

 

“Sir Jang Geun Suk…”

 

 

Yuri froze the very second she heard his name. There was different emotions coming into play that very second, there was fear, confusion, and too much questions…

 

 If he’s the cause of all this, How did he end up becoming the people’s leader?

 

 

Was this his reason from the very start, to cause a plague then act like a hero in front of these people?

 

 

Does anyone even know that they put a psychopath in power?

 

 

TBC

 

 

 

 

Sorry... that it took me forever to update....  :blush: