~8~

Behind The Bookshelf

"Where are you going? Answer me when I talk to you! Are you leaving? Are you really going to abandon your daughter and me because of your own mistake?"

"It's for you."

"You think you leaving is going to help this? I said answer me when I am talking!"

The door slammed. He was gone. Soyeon's mother ran outside. "Come back!" She screamed, but he had already sped out of the driveway in her car. She felt tears stain her face and became closed by a knot that wouldn't go away. She felt a tug at her shirt.

"Mommy, where did Daddy go?"

She didnt answer, only crouched down and hugged Soyeon tightly, crying. Her child whispered, "What's wrong Mommy?"


"That'll be $10.50." I said, watching the customer take out her credit card and slowly slide it against the machine, punching numbers and finally leaving with her book. I yawned.

"Slow day." my manager said, coming to check on me. "Take a break okay?"

I nodded and went outside, sitting on the bench outside our bookstore. I took out my phone and checked my messages. There were none. I sighed and sat there, swinging my legs back and forth, enjoying the breeze.

"Soyeon ah!" I heard. I turned my head and saw Minho running at me, with two coffees in his hand. He sat down next to me, handing me a coffee. "Here."

"What's this?" I asked, chuckling.

"I'm glad I caught you. I had an extra coffee and didn't know what to do with it."

I rolled my eyes. "Sure..." I said, reluctantly taking the coffee and sipping it.

He smiled and sipped his, taking a deep breath. "Why'd you take off?"

"Hmm?" I asked.

"You took off the other day, quickly, and I don't really know why. Was it something I did? To make you angry?"

I shook my head, looking down and playing with my hair. "No..."

He nodded, drinking some more coffee and then asking, "When do you get off work? I was hoping we could hang out. If you aren't doing anything tonight."

I blushed and stuttered, "Oh, yeah..that sounds.....I get off at 6...That'd be...fun..."

He laughed and stood up. "Then I'll be back at 6 to pick you up. Have fun at work." He smiled sweetly and walked off, turning to wave at me and then walking on. I watched him closely. The way he moved was elegant, and for some reaosn I couldn't keep my eyes off him. He turned a corner and my gaze was forced off of him. I sipped the rest of the coffee and went back inside to work.

6:00 came faster than I expected. Once off work, I walked outside and there was a small white car on the other side of the street, and Minho was leaned against it, reading a book. I smiled to myself and started to cross the street. I walked across when suddenly I tripped, falling forward. I caught myself before falling, but at that moment a car sped across, almost hitting me, until I was grabbed by the arm.

Minho pulled me to the side of the rode by his car. His hands were on my shoulders and he looked in my eyes, "Are you okay?"

I nodded, "Thank you." I said.

He smiled. "Good. You should be more careful."

I nodded, looking down at my feet, embarrased.