~12~

Behind The Bookshelf

Soyeon sat in the hospital alone, looking down at the ground with slow tears running down her face.

The doctors confirmed her mother's death.

The police confirmed her father's disappearance.

The boy walked up to Soyeon. "Soyeon-ah..." he said.

She sniffed, and looked up at her friend. The boy said nothing, but reached out to hug her.

Soyeon cried into his shirt. He hugged her tighter.

His mother stood behind them, shaking her head. No one knew what to do - what to tell the little girl who had just lost both parents.

No one wanted to tell her what wasgoing to happen.

No one did.

Silence...is contagious.

---

"Do you have all your things?" The boy's mother asked.

Soyeon nodded quickly, but did not speak.

The woman bent down and pet Soyeon's hair. "You're going to come stay with us, until we can contact your aunt, ne?"

Soyeon nodded again, aware of the situation.

"Alright, are you ready then?"

Soyeon nodded again, looking away from the woman to get her last sight of her home. She sniffed, trying not to cry.

"Okay, sweetie, let's go then." The woman put her hand on Soyeon's back to comfort her and led her out of her old home. She called for her son, who is using the bathroom before their departure.

"Coming!" He called back.

Soyeon walked slowly, clutching her backpack that contains only her most deared items. All except one.

"SOYEON, YOU FORGOT THIS!" The boy ran up to Soyeon, and held out a book. "It's your daddy's book." he says, trying to smile.

Soyeon turned around, glancing at the book, and glared at the boy. She shook her head.

"Take it...." He insisted.

She shook her head, a tear escaping her eye.

"Why won't you-"

Soyeon, frustrated, hit the book out of the boy's hands. "No." was all she said, but it was enough.

The boy's eyes fell, and he gulped. "I'm sorry, Soyeon." he said.

His mother pulled on Soyeon's hand, leading her out of the house. The boy stayed behind for a moment, then followed quickly.

~*~

After almost a week of ignoring calls, and Minho, I was still thinking, all the time, about what had happened between us.

"What is his problem?" I said to myself as I ran my finger across my bottom lip, remembering the moment his lips were doing the same.

I shook the memory out of my head. "Anio. You can't think about that. Minho...is no good. He is bad. Not good...not...good....." I closed my eyes, remembering his hands as they slipped around my waist and around my neck. His eyes, how they sparkled in the light when he spoke, the sincerity of his voice...

My phone rang, interupting my thoughts, fortunately.

I looked at the Caller ID, taking a deep break when i saw Minho's name. I bit my lip, my heart beating faster as I nervously rejected his call.

I closed my eyes an sat on my bed,pressing my hands against my face. "You can't....you can't..." i repeated over and over. The phone rang again, and I fluttered my eyes open, immediately grabbing my phone.

Urging to answer it, I bit my lip again, reluctant to answer. "You cant!" I yelled to myself as I moved my finger toward the answering button.

"What is it?" I asked rudely.

"Just, hear me out for a minute, ne?"

I rolled my eyes. "Fine."

"Good. Thank you. Really. I realize I must have scared you. I'm sorry. It was wrong of me to shock you like that, with my questioning, and confessing, and then kissing you...it was too much to put on you in one day. I apologize. But please, don't leave me alone. And don't make me leave you alone. I want to stay by your side....you'll understand in the future but for now please don't do this..." his voice trailed off.

I gulped, my heart exploding from nervousness. "I..." I started. "I don't know if I can do that..."

"You have to."

I shook my head. "See, it's when you do things like this that I can't trust you. Why is it that i have to?"

"Just...trust me. Please."

I sighed, contemplating my choices. Something in me told me that Minho was one not to be trusted. But another part of me wanted more than anything to find out why he was like this - why he seemed untrustable.

"Please." he repeated.

"Okay. Fine."

I heard a relieved sigh on the other line. "Good. Are you up for some soju?"

I laughed. "Fine."

----

"Here's your room, sweetie."

Soyeon nodded, looking around, admiring her new bedroom. The walls were pink, decorated with butterflies and flowers, and there was a large window next to her bed. She walked over to the window, moved the curtain, and stared out into the night.

The moon was big, bright, and shining into her room. She smiled for a second, but it wasn't lasting.

"I'll be in the kitchen if you need anything."

Soyeon didn't answer, but stared at the moon, as if it was the most beautful thing she had laid eyes on.

"S-Soyeon."

She turned around, seeing her friend nervously enter.

"I'm sorry." he said, bowing his head. "Are we...still friends?"

Soyeon walked over to her bed, sitting down as she nodded.

The boy smiled. "Good!" he said happily. He jumped in her bed next to her and gave her a tight, quick hug. "Don't ever not be my friend please. Even though sometimes you get mad, okay?"

Soyeon smiled at him, speaking. "Okay." she said.

They sat in silence for a moment, until Minho decided to speak again. "Do you....miss your parents...?" he inquired.

Soyeon bowed her head in shame. She nodded. "So much..." she said softly.

She sniffed, and the boy reached for a tissue to give to her from the bookshelf next to him, a small bookshelf, with only a few books on it....

A/N wow sorry.
school prohibited me from writing.
anyways,
here's a chapter.

this story really doesnt have that many subscirbers, 
so sometimes i dont want to write on it but i thought of something
so yeah.
ill hopefully update alot now because its christmas break

happy holidays!

comment!

-hanna