13

Behind The Bookshelf

Soyeon held the bundle of flowers she had bought for her mothers alter in her hands, clutching them tightly. Her mother was to be buried in America, where she had been born, but here in Seoul they had reserved an alter at a graveyard for her remembrance.

A tear rolled down her face, and she softly sniffled in an attempt to prevent herself from sobbing out loud.

"Why don't you say a few words, and put those beautiful flowers on the alter, ne?"

Soyeon nodded, but didn't move forward.

The boy nudged her, and his mother scolded him. "Ya, go sit in the car." He did as he was told.

Soyeon finally budged, setting the flowers on the alter. It had been a year since her mother's death, but she still hadn't fully accepted it. "Umma..." she sobbed. "I miss you and appa...Come back please." She fell to the ground, crying.

A warm hand touched her shoulder for comfort. Soyeon stood up, rubbing her eyes. She embraced her friend's mother, holding her tightly. "Let's go, Soyeon." Soyeon nodded, and began to walk toward the car.

"Soyeon, don't walk too far in front of me, dear."

Soyeon didn't hear this, and continued to walk, not noticing the speeding car coming right at her...


"So. Let's start over. Hi, I'm Choi Minho. I'm 23 years old, and I'm working as a waiter until I can get my degree in writing. I have no family, but for the past 15 years I've lived here with my aunt. I never had a father, and my mother died when I was 8. My favorite things to do are read and write, and I enjoy going to Sealy to read in my special boxcar filled with books dear to me. So. What about you?"

I laughed, sipping my drink. "Well, I'm Soyeon. I'm 22 years old, and I've lived in a foster home in Korea for all I can remember. My mother is dead, and my father left when I was 7. I don't remember much about my childhood, only the day that my mother died, and my father left. I work at a bookstore, but I don't like reading. I hate being alone, but I don't trust people. That's pretty much it."

Minho nodded. "Well it's great to meet you, Soyeon. How would you like to... go on a date with me?" Minho raised his eyebrows, enlarging his deep brown eyes. I gulped, losing myself in them for a second.

"I...would actually love that." I said, smiling.

Minho grinned. "Good. Come with me." He grabbed my arm and pulled me out of the store, opening his car door for me. We showed up half an hour later at a museum. I turned to Minho.

"The art museum?" I asked curiously.

"Yep. Just wait. You'll see."

We walked inside, and a large man, most likely the curator, approached Minho. "Mr. Choi! How good to see you. How have you been? And who is this lovely young lady with you?"

I blushed, bowing. "I'm Soyeon" I replied, shaking his hand.

Minho smiled. "We're going to go down for a look at my favorite art, ne?"

The man laughed. "Here you go then," he said, handing Minho a key.

Minho took me by the hand, pulling me behind him as he led the way. "What is that? How do you know him?" I asked.

"That's an old friend of my aunt. He owns this museum. I used to come here almost every day when I was a kid. There's some beautiful art down in the back that is restricted to most people...that's where we're going."

I gulped. "Restricted? Why?"

Minho winked, a gleam in his eye. "You'll see."


The boy watched as the car’s brakes were hit. His eyes widened, as he heard his mother scream. “Soyeon!”

She ran forward, knocking Soyeon out of the way of the vehicle, which hit her , sending her body lurching backward onto the pavement.

Blood from both bodies dripped on to the pavement.

Tears dropped from the boy’s eyes as he ran out of the car.

“UMMA!!!” he screamed, rushing to her. He shook her body, but she wouldn’t wake up. “Umma!” he repeated over and over, touching her face and urging her to wake.

“Umma please…” he sobbed, holding her hands in his. He watched as her eyes fluttered open, and she held her son’s face in her hands.

“Is Soyeon okay?” she asked, her voice strained.

Minho shook his head. “I don’t know.”

“Go…see…”

Minho bit his quivering lip, shaking his head again. “Umma, don’t die…”

His mother smiled, uttering her last words, “I love you.”  

A/N so much death T T
its okay, there will be a happy ending ,3,
i promise <3

comments are appreciated, your comments made me smile alot this time,
and i was able to continue it happily ^a^