Second Shot at Freedom

Please Remember (editing)

"L, You okay?" Bora asked, a little worried at the fact that the young man wasn't answering. To be honest, L knew that he needed to reply, but it was difficult if one couldn't seem to get rid of the clogged up feeling in his throat, aside from the hot tears that were making their appearances above his lower eyelid. "L?" She asked again in hopes of hearing a reply.

"I-I'm f-fine!" He barely choked out, steadying himself as a wave of dizziness flashed over him. Myungsoo was going to get a mental breakdown soon. After spending so many years trying to find her, when I finally do, she wants to kill herself?! 

"Are you really okay?" Bora asked once more, not believing him at all. Who in the world would be fine if their love is trying to kill themselves?

"Honestly, I'm not, but the main thing now is to find Hyorin noona. Any idea where she is?"

"I don't know. She said something about going back to her happiest moments."

"Happiest moments..." L mumbled to himself, thinking deeply. When are her happiest moments? Is it when she was spending time with me? At school, or the maple tree? But then, the memory of me would probably hurt to much to go there. C'mon, think! Happiest...happiest... maybe...

 

"Starship!" He blurted out. "Wouldn't she be at Starship?"

"Starship? Why would she be there?"

"She loves to sing, remember? It's her dream since she was young. Even during her hardest moments, she'll be singing. I'm sure she's there, noona." L paused, considering his suggestion momentarily. "But then, how would she kill herself there?"

"The rooftop door..." Bora softly replied, trembling a little. "The door is never locked."

"What?! Why don't they lock the door?!"

"Well, do you see people frequenting rooftops often? Besides, we always go there to unwind. The strong breeze and the deep blue sky are great at destressing."

"Or to drop ten storeys to the ground! I'll make my way there first. Go and tell the rest to meet me there, ASAP!"

"Got it." She was about to hang up when a sudden thought struck her. "L?"

"Yeah?"

"She'll be okay, right?" she asked weakly. "Nothing will happened to her, right? What if... what if we're too late?"

"She'll be okay, noona." L replied, determination clearly shown in his voice. "I won't let anything happened to her. Not today, or any other."

If it really isn't too late.

 


 

"Practicing again?" The security guard chuckled, flashing the young girl a smile. Hyorin flashed a smile back, crossing her arms behind her back so as to prevent him from seeing the wounds on them.

"Yeah. Need to practice daily if I want to do well." She lied, taking a glance at the clear dark sky. "And maybe unwind a little."

"Of course you should. It's good for idol stars to unwind, especially with your crazy schedules lately." Taking a glance at the sky as well, he shivered as a wind blew past. "Ah, it's going to be winter soon. Is Sistar preparing anything for the season?"

"Nah. Everyone's busy with their own solo activities, though I may be getting back on stage for my solo debut."

"A solo debut? Daebak, you guys are really doing well!" He exclaimed gladly. "I can believe how far you girls have become. Doesn't it feel good to be so popular and successful now?" Keeping silent, Hyorin just shrugged, smiling a little to make it seem normal.

How can you be happy with your success and popularity, when your heart's in a million pieces?

"Are you okay, Hyojung?" He asked worryingly, looking intensely at her face. "You look really pale. Is it the weather? You're not wearing very protective clothing either."

"I'm fine." She assured him. "Maybe just a little tired, that's all."

"Hm... Then you shouldn't be practicing now. What if you fall sick, or faint?"

"I'll be okay, adjusshi. Don't worry so much. I'll get in now. Bye!" Stepping into the building, she turned around and faced the old man, who gave her a smile like before. He had always been a bright and sweet person to her and the other members, watching them transform from trainees to idol stars. These small conversations at the entrance of the building had always helped to take away their worries and fatigue, even if it was only for a few minutes or seconds. As she walked over to the lift lobby, Hyorin couldn't help but shed a few tears. She was really gonna miss the old dude.

At least I got to stay goodbye.

 

 

Deep breath, Hyojung. You can do this.

This was it. The moment that she was waiting for, high above everyone else, in her own little piece of the sky. Looking down, Hyorin could make out the shining cars, which were no bigger than fairly big ants, and the little dots of people moving to and fro the busy streets of Seoul. She wondered if she was brave enough to do this, if she can actually end it all. Of course, Hyorin quickly shook it off. How can she let a little fear stop her from being free? She closed her eyes and took in many deep breaths, letting her racing heart slow down. Once more did she finally feel at peace, just like the other times when she tried to take away her life.

She was ready.

Carefully slipping out of her sneakers, Hyorin placed them beside her, leaving her bare feet chilled from the winds and the stone-cold floor. Pondering a little, she proceeded to take off her coat as well, folding it neatly then placing it beside her shoes. No use getting good clothes covered in blood, right? Take your time, Hyojung, no need to get excited. Stepping onto the 40cm cement barrier, she closed her eyes once more, taking in deeper breaths. The soft wind gently caressed her face and hair, bring chills down her body. How wonderful did the cold actually feel today. She laughed. It wasn't the cold.

It was the freedom behind it.

Ready? She thought to herself, inching closer and closer to the edge. On the count of three. One, two, th-

 

"STOP!"

 

"What?" Surprised, Hyorin turned around to find the man she expected the least.

"L..."

 


 

L ran straight into the building after explaining quickly to the security guard, whose face was full of concern after hearing his words. He would like to get to the rooftop as well, but there wasn't a lot of ground that an adjusshi could cover in a short span of time, in contrast to a young fit man. Dashing through the lift lobby, Myungsoo quickly slammed open the emergency staircase door and briskly climbed up the steps. He was worried, worried that he might be too late. By the seventh story, he was begining to feel exhausted, but he didn't- no, he couldn't stop. The love of his life depends on it.

Slamming through another door, he was greeted with the vast open space of the rooftop, along with a tan girl standing right at the edge of the building. "STOP!" He screamed, right straight at Hyorin. She turned around and faced him, her face clearly showing shock.

"L... Don't come, or I'll really do it."

L came to an abrupt halt, standing a couple of metres away from her, panting heavily from the lack of oxygen in his system. "Hyorin noona," he spoke, advancing slowly towards her, "calm down. You don't have to do this."

"I said don't come!" She shouted, stepping dangerously close to the edge. Myungsoo regretfully stopped, knowing that he was still about three metres away from her. No way could he reach her from that distance. He still needed a few steps more.

"Don't do it noona." He pleaded desperately. "Please don't."

"I'm sorry, L." Hyorin replied sadly. "It just too much to bear."

"It can go away, noona. The pain can go away. You have us, me, Bora, Ailee and everyone else. We can help you."

"But you don't know how much it hurts!" She screamed, tears threatening to flow out of her eyes. "Do you know what it's like to have your heart shattered repeatingly? Do you know what it is like living in desperation for a perfect love? Do you know what it is like to be betrayed or used? I'm sick and tired of everything, Myungsoo. I'm sick and tired of loving people. I'm sick and tired of living in despair." Tears were already streaming down her pretty face. "I want to end it all."

"But you don't have to, noona. Let us help you. Please... don't leave us." Myungsoo watched as the girl kept silent for some time, the stillness surrounding them at this crucial moment.

"... It's... It's too late to go back now." She softly replied, turning back to face the edge. "I'm sorry, L."

"HYORIN!" He screamed, racing towards her as fast as he could.

"Goodbye."

 

With a heavy heart, she stepped forward.

 

===========================

Mua ha ha ha! Cliffhanger. Are you guys ready for the last chapter? Would L save her, or will it be too late? Until next week. Oh, and I've reached 40 subscribers! So touched. T^T

Comment and Subscribe! :D