Maybe Not Forever

Powers

 

“Could we have forever?” He naively asked, his arms wrapping around her waist as though to make sure she is truly there. Looking up, her gaze softened as she placed her hand gently against his cheek.

 

“Maybe not forever…” She whispered truthfully, and she felt his embrace tightened. “Maybe not forever, but we have today, Seokmin ah.”

 

~~~

 

Tears streaming down her face, Amber curled against him, feeling his strong presence beside her. Her hands gripping onto the front of his shirt, she wondered since when did this younger man becomes such an important person in her life. She didn’t want to admit it, but she had been completely dependent on him before she even realized the fact and she knew that if he decided to leave her now, she would completely break down.

 

But he wouldn’t leave her, he had softly whispered into her ears as he rubbed her back comfortingly. And when she questioned his truthfulness, her voice broken, he felt his heart catch in his throat and he crushed her into his embrace.

 

Who would have known that the strong, always-cheerful tomboy could have a breaking point?

 

That was a silly question, he later realized when she was finally able to peacefully drift off to sleep. Everybody was humans, including her, and to worship her as a goddess who could not shed tears was simply ridiculous. He couldn’t blame anyone though, because before she let him into her secrets, he would have easily bow down to her as his queen. However, even a queen could not stand alone, and even if he could just be by her side as her knight, he wouldn’t mind. He just want to be there for her, to wipe away her tears, and to make her feel as though there is no lurking dangers in the world.

 

A false sense of security, he knew, but if it means he wouldn’t have to witness her heartbreaking struggles, he is willing to sacrifice everything he has for her happiness.

 

~~~

 

“Noona, you have to eat,” Seokmin coaxed her, bringing the spoon of soup closed to her lips. Smiling at him, Amber sipped the watery food before pouting.

 

“...I want tacos…” She said, looking at him with puppy dog eyes, and the boy chuckled. Holding up the bag of takeout food, he hid them away from her when she excitedly reach for her dream.

 

“Nuh-uh noona, Victoria noona warned me that if I don’t get you to finish this bowl, I wouldn’t survive another day,” the younger man grinned, no shame in him as he separated his girlfriend from the one...well...the one food she love that most. Hopefully, not more than him, he find himself thinking.

 

Snatching the bowl from his hand instantly, Amber downed the whole thing within 10 seconds before throwing herself onto him to reach the bag. Wrapping her arms around his torso, she used him as a stepping ladder to overtake the prize. The treasure.

 

The tacos.

 

Munching onto her love with the happiest smile on her face, Amber did not notice the relief in Seokmin’s expression as he left the room to wash up the dishes.

 

~~~

 

“Isn’t he adorable?” Amber gushed, squeezing the pillow tightly as her eyes are glue to the screen. SEVENTEEN was performing their newest release, and it did not take long for Amber to identify her boyfriend amidst the one + dozen men on the stages wearing similar outfits. Though to be fair, she does have the right to complain what with f(x) only having 4 members.

 

Krystal glanced at her unnie, suddenly wanting to let out the scoff that was on the edge of her tongue. “Unnie, you’re the one who got into a huge argument with Seokmin over that. It’s no wonder Pledis started dressing them separately now since it’s not often their idol’s girlfriend would be willing to break down the president’s door to demand an audience.”

 

Pouting, Amber punched Krystal and playfully shoved the maknae off the sofa. “It’s also not my fault that you and Kai can’t seem to not get caught by paparazzi!”

 

“...That’s a low blow!” Krystal flushed bright red, and the two American-born started to get into a squabble just before Luna came in with the clear smell of jajangmyeon in the air.

 

At least Luna knew to run for her life right then and there.

 

~~~

 

“Noona~” A quick movement to her left glomped her backward, with her barely holding onto the frame of the door to kept herself from collapsing with the extra weight.

 

“Hey everyone!” Amber’s cheerful voice greeted as she walked into the room, dragging the smitten maknae along for the ride. All dozen pairs of eyes turned to her, and the f(x) member only managed to blink before she was surrounded by everyone, each taking rush turns to give her tight hugs. During the ordeal, someone managed to remove their maknae from the female’s leg.

 

Eyes looking up after the rush of affections from the boy group, Amber’s gaze seemed to hold light laughter in them as her arms opened up for him. A small ‘noona’ was mumbled before Seokmin crushed her against his chest, hands rapidly petting her hair as though in disbelief.

 

“It hasn’t been that long…” She whispered in his ears, but there was no answer to be given except for the soft trembling within his embrace.

 

“You haven’t seen him in months, noona,” S.Coups spoke up, sympathy radiating from him. Despite being younger than her, he was still the oldest and leader of the group, and it was his responsibility to ensure that all of s retain their happiness and the smiles on their faces no matter what. He wouldn’t admit it out loud to them, but it does pain him to see the lifeless gaze from any one of them...even just for a second. “Manager hyung said we should be up there in an hour,” he smiled, looking at her meaningfully before pushing them out of the room and locking the door behind them.

 

Choi Seungcheol was not expecting DK back any time before the hour is up.

 

~~~

 

“I miss you”

 

“I know”

 

“I miss you so much”

 

“I know”

 

“You said we would have today”

 

“I did”

 

“But you weren’t there”

 

“I know, I’m sorry”

 

“Noona, you weren’t there…” His voice suddenly broke, “I didn’t know where you were, and I couldn’t contact you. I was so worried, but nobody would pick up and I-I-”

 

“I’m sorry, Seokmin ah,” she whispered, knowing that no matter how much she apologized, her disappearance was the one thing that could’ve unravel him forever had she decided to not appear again.

 

“I-I-I thought I lost you forever...I couldn’t find you…” He squeezed her tightly from behind, his face buried within the crook of her neck. “Noona, don’t you know how scared I was? Amber noona, answer me…” he trailed off, her fingers lacing with his own as though for reassurance.

 

“I couldn’t risk your career, Seokmin. I knew that if I told you where I was going, you would have stubbornly follow me, and I couldn’t risk that,” she turned around and looked straight into his eyes. “You’re not just being happy for your own sake anymore, it’s also for your fans now.”

 

“...Then what about you, noona? If you couldn’t even confide in your family and let them worry extensively like that, what about your fans? What about me?”

 

There was no answer from her this time, but he could clearly see the regret and hurt in the hazelnut eyes he grew to love. Tugging her down, he let her buried her face in his chest just as violent sobs broke out of her.

 

They sat like that for a while, with his arms wrapped protectively around her. Despite being the younger of the two, Seokmin was far more mature than he let on to other people, and the confident Amber was more fragile than others would think. But they completed each other, and isn’t true love all about being there for one another?

 

~~~

 

“Could we have forever, noona?” Seokmin gingerly propped the subject,  fingers tracing circles on her palm as he inhaled the familiar scent of her hair. She was leaning her back against him, her head resting on his shoulder, eyes closed in wonderment.

 

“I don’t know…” She answered honestly before a small smile peeked out, “Perhaps we could have a forever, Seokmin. Just me and you...against the world…” she softly chuckled before raising their intertwined hands up to her eye level. “Yes, perhaps we could have a happily ever after.”

 

“Not as prince and princess?”

 

“No, just as a normal boy and girl who love each other.”

 


I'm guessing everybody knows what this story is referring to in its own little way? Amber's post on Instagram really did break my heart, but I'm sure she'll be able to recover with all the friends she have and her family and the f(x) members :) What was your reaction when you first heard and/or seen it?

 

As for this little one-shot, I don't know if I portrayed DK and Amber as accurately as I would have like, but this is the most angsty I could get in a while haha. All of my chapters have been really happy and fluffy and it wouldn't be fair to have a sad, depressing story for DK. He's a cinnamon roll after all. 

 

Hope you all enjoy the story. Comment and upvote~~!