Beautiful

Powers

"No matter what I did, I had never been able to catch up to my best friend. Beautiful and smart, Jinri had always been at the center of attention ever since she was little. But no, it wasn't as if she was the typical snobby girl, instead, Jinri was the kindest and most caring girl I've ever met. As much as I would like to say that being her best friend was one of the most wonderful experiences of my life, the truth was that it hurt me more than anything. Bittersweet, that was how I would describe my feelings at the time. 

Growing up in the hectic limelight of my family, I had never been one to pay much attention whenever someone else try to flatter me. Being the daughter of a tycoon was probably the best lesson that I could ever be taught in my entire life, but even that didn't help me much as I grow up to the harsh reality of the world. 

The Choi and the Liu families are two of the richest families in the world, which would probably explain why Jinri and I have always been friends even though we were polar opposites. While Jinri was the lady that every boys have always wanted, I, on the other hand, was stuck with being single-outed as one of the boys. Even though I didn't cared about the label as much as Jinri minded it, a part of me had always envied the affections that I knew I could never get. It didn't help matter either, when every single one of my guy friends had used me to get closed to Jinri even though they knew that it wasn't right.

As I grew older, the relationship between Jinri and I came to that of sisters. Us two aren't two peas in a pod, and yet the image of her and I was one that could never be erase in anyone's mind. However, as one would expected it, the negative point that came with being Jinri's best friend was the comparison that I would always get when we're seen together. Tomboy and disrespectful, they would call me. Ladylike and beautiful, they would labeled Jinri. We were never ones to mind these names much, but the memories of being compare were forever etched into my mind.

As the years passed by, Jinri grew up to be the most beautiful girl in our hometown. Known everywhere as the Beauty that everyone was proud of, Jinri was forced to be the image that everyone had engraved onto her. Gone was the carefree and bubbly best friend that I used to have, and that was when I knew that enough was enough. 

Taking her hand on one stormy day, I packed up all of our necessities and got onto the train with Jinri by my side. We are going to leave here, this torturous and depressing society where everyone is label for their appearance. It was affecting mine and Jinri's lives too much for me to not care even though I thought that we were the ones who could never be move. 

"Amber! Amber!" 

Shaking me from my day-dreaming of our old days, I turned to look at Jinri with a slight smile on my face. The girl who I thought was gone had came back, and now us two were living our lives to the fullest.

Or, at least, that was what I wanted my best friend to believed. 

"Jinri, I'm fine. I was just tired from how everything is so busy these days at the company." I chuckled as I assured her. Nodding at her fiancee who was next to her, I grinned. "Congratulation about your engagement! I can't believe the little girl that was so shy is about to get marry!" 

Hitting my arm with full force, Jinri blushed a bright red as she proceeded to cover my mouth to keep me from embarrassing her any further. It wasn't my fault that I was so happy for my best friend to have finally found her happiness in her new life. 

"Ouch, Jinri. Are you trying to kill me?" I pouted as I rubbed my red arm with a fake groan. Jinri immediately went over to me and started fussing at my injury while continuously saying sorry, much to my dismay. This wasn't good. She will kill me if she find out I was faking it.

Scrambling up, I grabbed my purse and hurried out of the cafe after a short apology and a promise that I was going to be at her wedding soon. Running full speed back to my office, I nodded a small hello to the people in my team before closing the door to my office and setting the invitation to Jinri's wedding down onto my desk. Staring at the front cover with a happy picture of Jinri and her groom, I laughed at the irony of the situation. 

"Eh...?" I choked up as I realized that a few tears had strayed from my eyes and were now dripping my cheeks wet. As I tried to wipe the tears away, a knock on my door set off my panic alarm as I called out for the person to wait while drying my tears. However, unwilling to wait for me to calm down, my boss opened the office's door and walked in on me, face full of tears that have yet to stop. 

"A-Amber ssi?" he stuttered in surprise as his eyes widened at my appearance. Noticing the commotion, several of my fellow workers peek into the room but was unable to see what was going on as Myungsoo had already slam the door shut.

"Amber..." he muttered in a gentle voice as he stepped toward me hesitantly. Eyes full of worries, he grabbed my arm and pulled my into a comforting hug before I could even protest. Shock at his bold move, I stood frozen in place with nowhere to escape to...and no one else to turn to.

"C'mon Amber. Let it all out. It's fine now." he whispered into my ears as he soothingly my back. As if the weight of the world had been lifted from my shoulder, I gripped onto his suit and muffled my cries even as the tears streamed out like a river. Pulling me even closer to him, Myungsoo silently kissed the top of my head as he waited for me to finish my anguish cry.

 

~~~~~~

 

"Sorry about that, Myungsoo." I apologized to him as I slowly pull away. Noticing the huge stain on his suit, I looked at him to see if he had noticed. Unfortunately, Myungsoo was already staring down at his shirt quietly before his whole body shook and he started to laugh. 

"It's fine, Amber. But if you do want to repay my for it, how about going out to dinner with me?" he asked as he smiled at me slyly.

Shaking my head, I punch his chest lightly before nodding in agreement. "It's your treat." I told him before noticing the invitation on my desk and smirked. "And while we're at it, why don't you come with me as my plus one to my friend's wedding?" 

"For real?!" Myungsoo said with brightened eyes and he once again pull me into a hug with his arms coiling around me like a snake, wrapping themselves around my torso. "Thank you!"

Chuckling at him being so silly, I started to wondered this boy...no, man...was able to get into my heart like that so quickly. It had taken Jinri three whole years to get me to start speaking to her like how I used to ever since since we left our old hometown, and yet, all it took him was a week full of flowers and a fancy lunch date. As much as I would like to blame the delicious food, I knew it wasn't their fault that my heart started to beat faster and faster every time he appeared in my sight. And I was probably lucky too, because no matter how much I refused and push him away, he always come crawling back to me at the right time to stop me from self-destructing any further. One word from him and I was under his spell all over again.

 

~~~~~~

 

"Amber Liu, you have some explaining to do." Jinri said as she stared down at me from the step of the dressing room. Adorned in her pure white wedding dress and jewelry for her wedding day, she had her hands on her hips as she waited for me to speak. 

"Erm...what are you talking about?" I asked, feigning innocence as I stepped away from the fuming bride. Eyeing the door that was about to be my hero, I gripped the handle and was about to swung it open when I realized something.

I was in deep trouble. 

Grabbing the door handle with both hands, I tried to pull it open but was unsuccessful as some kind of mysterious force was pulling toward the opposite direction on the other side. Cursing my bad luck, I turned around and glared at the bride-to-be while she looked at me with innocence.

"Oppa was just helping me, you know. He said that this was his gift to me because he knew you would kill him later." She explained as she smiled maliciously. "Now then, Amber, mind telling me...what the hell is with this envelope?" she questioned as she held up the envelope in question.

Stiffening from the tension in the room, I moved as far away as I could from Jinri for fear of my own life. I knew that her fear of damaging her wedding dress was slowly losing to her anger because of the envelope that I had previously given her. If I stay in this room for even one second longer, I will die and cease to exist from the fury of Choi Jinri.

"Amber?" she asked, nudging me to hurry up and explain before she murder me. "C'mon. Explain it to me. About the reason why I'm chosen to be your bridesmaid 1 MONTH BEFORE YOUR WEDDING?!" she shouted at the top of her lungs as she started to lose all rationalization. 

"Jinri, look, I..." I started to explain but was cut off when the girl herself stepped down from the platform and marched toward me with the poor envelope crushed inside her gloved hand. 

"Amber Liu, do you have any idea how hard being a bridesmaid is? And you're telling me to be one 1 month before your special day?! Are you trying to get yourself kill while preparing for it? Or better yet, get me kill when I'm supposed to be on my honeymoon?!" she waved the envelope in front of my face as she cornered me to the wall. "And who the heck is Kim Myungsoo? Why is it that I have never seen your fiancee even once before?!" 

"C-Calm down Jinri ah. I'll explain so just calm down, okay?" I pleaded as I tried to sat her down onto a tall stool in case she accidentally tear her wedding dress apart. 

"Now. Do it now." she demanded with her arms crossed across her chest, looking as intimidating as my grandmother when she heard of the news from my childhood home.

"Well...you see..." 

 

~~~~~~

-Flashback-

After our dinner date was finished, Myungsoo had taken me to the spot where he first asked me to go out with him 2 years ago. As we walked around the park, remisnicing about our memories, he suddenly kneeled down and pulled out a ring, standing tall and proud in a scarlet box, before sliding his hand under mine and looked up into my eyes.

"Amber Liu, you have been the best thing that have ever happen to me. Meeting you was probably fate, but even though our first impressions with each other wasn't good, I grew to love the wild you as you try to persuade me to stop courting you. I love the way you look at me whenever I do something silly and the way you laugh whenever I tell a joke. I love how beautiful and positive you are no matter what anyone else say and even though I know that you are still hurt from something that happened in the past, I promise that I will be by your side and support you no matter what. I will be the best husband I could possibly be, so will you marry me?" he asked with hope as he waited for my answer. 

I was wide-eyed with shock as everything happened in a flash. Even though I was suspicous as to why he brought us here, I would never have thought that he would pull out a trick like this. Kim Myungsoo never fail to surprise me. But as courageous as his confession was, I could feel his hand trembling as he held mind and I tried to stifle in a laugh.

"Of course I will, you fool!" I answered and he quickly sighed in relief before sliding the ring into my finger and hugging me tight. "Oh...but then again, you're in big trouble, young man. My family will surely lash out at you when they hear the news." I told him before I chuckled at the way he looked at me quizzically.

"You'll see." I said as I pulled out my phone to call my sister and tell her the news. No matter how much I had hated my past life, my family is still precious to me and I kept in close contact with them ever since I left. Society had a way with standards, but my family have never fail to support me no matter what. Except...maybe this time.

 

~~~~~~

Laughing as I finished telling the story, Jinri clutched her stomach and me in support so that she wouldn't fall off her stool.

"So? How's the poor boy doing?" she asked out of concern for my fiancee as she stared at me. "Is he at the hospital? When is he going to recover?" 

Shaking my head, I grinned. "Surprisingly, apart from my grandmother, my parents and my sister were happy for me. Of course, my grandmother agreed but she made sure to shape him to be the proper heir...not that he isn't already anyway." I explained.

"What do you mean...?" Jinri tilted her head in confusion, but then a second later, the fact dawned upon her. "You lucky b..." she punched me without sparing even a single thought, sending me wincing in pain from the collison. "I can't believe you actually got the heir to the Kim Empire to wooed you like that. And he came back to you no matter what. What is wrong with your luck, Amber?!" she accused me with pointy finger and I backed away.

"Whoa there, Jinri. You already got yourself a husband so don't go doing that. It's not my fault that I didn't know my stalker was him." I defended myself with a small laugh.

"Stalker! You say" Jinri exclaimed as she pretended to faint. "I can't believe you, even though I've known you for years! Your child will be a lucky one. Imagine being the favored grandkid of both the Liu and the Kim Empires! Gosh, I kinda feel bad for him now." Jinri sighed as a memory resurfaced. "He'll probably be judge like how we were, without mercy."

This time, it was my turn to punch my best friend in the arm. "Don't go cursing my kids before they're even born. My kids will grow up to be people that cannot be judge by anyone even while being themselves. After all, who do you think they are going to come from?" I winked at her with a bright smile. "Beside, you're one to talk. You being the Choi's princess and all. I doubt any of your kids will have a normal life either."

Jinri stuck out her tongue at me. "As if. We're both still in this world of competitors, eh? Even though we vowed to never return there."

I chuckled, nodding in agreement. "Well, it ain't my fault. Or yours for that matter. I'm actually planning on separating from my parents to create my own company, either way. I don't like being labeled as the Liu heir or anything. My older sister can manage the company fine all on her own."

Jinri gasped in horror at my disclaimation. "You can't do that, Amber! Your child will die if he or she grow up to three huge companies standing behind them!" she faked her disappointment before we both burst into laughter as the personnel of the wedding came to both the bride and her head bridesmaid to the venue of the wedding.

 

~~~~~~

 

"Bastard." I muttered as I stood inside my dressing room with Jinri supporting me as I put on my over-complicated wedding dress. It was hard enough to wear this huge puffy dress as it is, but with the small bulge in my stomach, adjustment had to be made last minute toward the discovery of the still-growing infant.

"Kim Myungsoo, you bastard." I cursed darkly as Jinri tried to calm me down unsuccessfully. Raising my hands up so that my helpers coudl help me put on my wedding dress, I saw the gleam on my wedding ring and my mood instantly turned sour once again.

"Amber, calm down. It can't be help that you suddenly found out you were two weeks pregnant while we were planning the wedding. I mean, Myungsoo seemed happy to know that he's going to become a father, so..." Jinri said as she trailed off. "I can't believe you're going to have your child sooner than me, even though I was the one that got married first." she pouted as she helped me zip up my dress and put on my earrings.

"Shut up Jinri. This morning sickness is coming way too early, and it's fouling my mood. That Kim Myungsoo actually planned this without me knowing. I mean, how the hell would the wedding dress fit me so perfectly if he found out about my pregnancy when I did?" I scowled as I look at myself in the mirror. Thank goodness the terror hasn't completely set in yet otherwise my wedding day would probably be call off right at the last second.

"Be happy. I can't believe your grandmother was being so friendly with Myungsoo when she found out that she can see her first grandkid so early. The poor baby is going to be pamper to death at this rate, though." Jinri said worriedly as I sighed.

At that exact moment, someone decided to knock on the door and one of the stylists (that I do not need, might I add) opened the door and let the person in.

"Amber, how are you feeling?" Myungsoo asked as he smiled at me, and even though I was still angry at him for being so calm at the news even though I was freaking out like crazy, I couldn't help but be faltered by that smile.

"Worse than I had initially thought." I replied as I stepped off the platform with Jinri's help. The irony of the situation compare to one month ago was quiet clear. 

"I shouldn't be a third-wheel," Jinri said with a sly grin, and I could see Myungsoo's face lit up momentarily, "but Amber will lash out at you if I'm not here." she finished and successfully disappointed the poor man to no end. 

"C'mon, Jinri, spare me a bit." Myungsoo pleaded with a pout, but instead of replying, Jinri simply pushed him out of the room after only 3 minutes of being in here.

"Wedding night, huh, Amber? I swear, if your baby turnred out to be twins, I will call myself the great prophecy teller." Jinri said, her voice dripping with sarcasm as she handed me the water. 

"Oh please, there's no way that's gonna happen." I shook my head with a smile.

But at that time, I could never imagine how truth her statement turned out to be....

 

~~~~~~

 

"Both of your babies are healthy and they're going big and strong!" the doctor said as I visited him with Myungsoo during my 20th week of pregnancy. Eyes wide in surprise, I dreaded Myungsoo's reaction as I glanced over at him and could see my doom.

Glowing in all of God's glory, Myungsoo excitedly turned to me with joy as he took my hands and shook it with a bright smile on his face. As we finished the appointment, Myungsoo thanked the doctor profusely while helping me out of the room. That damn Jinri was right. Again.

"Amber! We're going to be parents of twins!" Myungsoo grinned as we slid into the car that was waiting for us in front of the doctor's office. Immediately pulling out his phone, Myungsoo proceeded to call my family even before I even have the chance to tell him otherwise. After much squealing from both sides, he ended the call and turned to me with the happiest smile I have ever seen. And that smile was contagious.

Leaning against the leather seat of the car, I eased into the coolness of it as Myungsoo gripped my hand gently. the palm of my hand, he looked at me with an expecting grin.

"What shall we name them?" he asked as he stared into my eyes, clearly pleading to be able to name our children. "Since one is a girl and one is a boy, how about Junsik and Hanyeo?" 

I pondered at his choice of names before nodding. "Alright, but we should give them English middle names since it'll be easier for them to have two different names." 

"You can choose then." Myungsoo smiled sheepishly "I'm not good with English."

Chuckling, I nodded "How about Camden and Violet?" I suggested and much to my surprise, Myungsoo nodded.

A while later, the car stopped in front of our house and Myungsoo helped me out of the car. As much as I would like to say that I hate being treated as if I'm some fragile glassware, it was nice to feel how much Myungsoo appreciated me...although he was being over-protective. As we stepped inside our house, I jumped in surprise when the light suddenly went on and everyone that we both know jumped out from hiding while shouting 'Congratulation!'

Glaring at the people in front of me, including my family, I glanced around the house and saw that it was decorated with pretty much everything baby-related. 

"So? What gender is your baby?" Jinri asked as she stepped up to the front. Looking at my family, I could tell that they haven't told anyone yet and before I could answer, Myungsoo pulled out my ultrasound pictures and gave it to Jinri. Immediately, everyone crowded around her and peered at the pictures with surprise written all over their faces.

"I knew it! I was right!" Jinri called out triumphantly as she smirked at me, in her full glory. "I told you that you were gonna get twins! So? What are their names?" she questioned with curiosity and I blocked Myungsoo's mouth before he could reveal any more.

"You'll see." was all I said before I eyed for the buffet table and steered myself toward my paradise, ending the questionnaire time.

 

~~~~~~

A few months later,the loud wailing of two distinct voices came from the emergency room as Myungsoo jumped up in surprise. Tired and sleepy from the overnight stay at the hospital while waiting for his child to be born, Myungsoo was, nonetheless, happy to hear the signal that his twins were finally born.

As the door opened, everyone there came toward the doctor and asked how I and the babies were doing while Myungsoo immediately ran inside to meet me. After months of torture, our twins Junsik and Hanyeo were finally born. 

If you had asked me years later about what happened then, I would have said that it was possibly the best moment of my life, to be surrounded by friends and family who lvoe me no matter what.

 


This might have been a slightly rush ending but whoops, 4000 words! It had been quiet some time since I wrote so much so I'm happy, and as you can tell, Jinri, aka Sulli, played a big part in this story.

As many of you have known, Sulli had left f(x) to pursue her acting career, but I would like to contributed this story to her to show that no matter what, I'm sure the f(x) members will always support her and will be there to welcome her no matter what.

Thanks for reading this long one-shot! Comment below to tell me what you think! Thanks ^~^