Expectations

I Won't Say I'm In Love

Tiffany's POV

"So Sunny, tell me more about yourself."

The teddy bear-like girl looked over to me as she placed the stack of books on the table. She took a breath and asked, "Well, what do you want to know?"

"Well," I pondered, "anything really."

Sunny chuckled while she proceeded to organize and shelve the books. "You don't have any questions? Ha, how can we get to know each other if you don't ask me?"

I got out of my chair and walked over in the teddy bear-like girl's direction. I reached for the neat and tidy pile of written literature and asked, "Where do I put these?" 

"Over here and on." Sunny warmly smiled as she pointed to the ledge of non-fiction section. "You're good Tiffany?" She gave me thumbs up. I nodded my head in response and flashed a smile back.

We continued working in a comfortable silence. It was a different atmosphere than I was used to with Taeyeon, but it was nice. "So," I hesitated, breaking the silence. The short girl looked over to me and raised an eyebrow.

"Yes?" She awkwardly smiled.

"What got you into detention in the first place?" I asked. Sunny stared at me confusion. "Well," I attempted to re-word my question, "you don't seem like the type to be in detention you know? When Taeyeon heard your name during the group call, it shocked her quite a bit."

I could see a grin appearing on Sunny's face. "Aw, Taeyeon's so sweet."

I nodded in agreement, feeling my cheeks starting to warm up at the thought of Taeyeon. "Yeah, she is really sweet."

"Well," Sunny interrupted my thoughts, "back to answering your question. I got detention because I got caught pulling a prank on someone." She snickered at the thought.

I stared at her in disbelief, my jaw almost falling out of its sockets. "You? A prankster?" She proudly nodded her head. "No way."

"It was going to be a good prank too." The short girl scratched her head while sighing in disappointment.

"What were you planning on doing?" I questioned, becoming more interested.

"Well, my friend, Yuri, was hosting this event that the school holds annually. I think it's called the Teacher Appreciation Luncheon... Anywho, I just wanted to lighten the mood because Yuri was stressing out about everything, and I mean every, little, single, damn, thing." I listened attentively as she continued on. "I felt really bad for her because it was her first time doing something like that and she really wanted to do a good job. So what I did was..." Sunny paused, leaving a tense silence and a story hanging from its point.

"Well? Continue on!" I egged her on, my hands flailing in the process. "I want to know more!"

Sunny smiled at me. "Glad to know you're interested!" I nodded in excitement. "Okay. Well, what I did was I put different dollops of wasabi, which is the green spicy paste for sushi right? I put that the in appetizers. The appetizers were perfect for my little prank. They were dumplings! Ah, I'm so sad that it didn't work."

"Enough with the side commentary! Finish the story!" I yelled, anticipating her next words.

She exaggerated a long sigh. "Well, I cooked the dumplings and put them next to the tray of the normal dumplings. After I left the kitchen, I asked my Uncle if I could sit next to him because he had a free seat next to him."

"Your Uncle?" I questioned. "Your Uncle's a teacher here?"

Sunny looked at me apprehensively. "Well, not exactly..."

"Then what is he?" I became more enticed into the mystery of the short girl's story.

"Let me finish and then you'll find out." Sunny stated. I nodded my head and let her continue. "Well, after my uncle let me take my seat, the waiters and waitresses started to handout the appetizers. I was getting anxious because the dumplings were given out at random. After we got our food, I watched everybody eat them. I couldn't hold my laughter, but the mood soon changed when I heard someone next to me start coughing violently and yelling, 'My mouth is burning!' I looked at person next to me and it happened to be my Uncle..."

"Oh man, he must have been really mad at you." I said shocked at Sunny's story.

"Oh he was furious. He wanted to know who gave him a faulty dumpling. I took that as my cue to dine-and-dash out of there before I get my caught you know? As soon as I was about to leave my Uncle called my name and asked where I was going. I looked at him and ran like the wind. He chased after me through the whole school. He already knew about my prankster antics so when I ran away from him when he yelled at me... Well, he knew it was me who did it."

"I find it odd that your Uncle chased you throughout the school." I interrogated Sunny. "Why did he do that?"

"Well," the short girl started, "my Uncle is the Principle of our school."

I stared at Sunny in disbelief. "Wait, your Uncle... Your Uncle is Principle Lee Soo-man of S.M. High? The school we go to?"

Sunny nodded her head. "Yeah, the one and only."

"How did the Principle become the victim? What happened to the other wasabi dumplings you made?" I asked feeling flustered and baffled.

"Well, after I got in trouble, I was told that someone was in the kitchen without my knowing as I was making the dumplings. After I left the place, they threw away the tainted ones, but I guess not all of them were thrown out. Therefore, the victim, which my Uncle, the Principle, got the wasabi dumplings. Haha, well that's how I got detention."  Sunny laughed like a mad woman as she finished her monologue.

"Wow." I was astonished. "I can't believe you did that."

She shrugged her shoulders. "It's no big deal. I pull pranks all the time."

"But still, it's cool that you have the balls to do that." I stated. "I wouldn't even think twice about doing that."

Sunny smirked at me with her teddy bear like features. "I don't think you're supposed to encourage my actions. I might get in trouble again by my Uncle. I don't want to serve detention for another week."

I laughed at her. "Just be careful next time. Besides, life is short. Have fun while it lasts you know?" I gave her my trademark eye smile and went back to work.

"You're too cute Tiffany." The short girl smiled. "No wonder why Taeyeon likes you so much."

I could feel my heart skip a beat. "W-wait, what?" I stuttered as I turned to look at her, my face all flustered. "S-she does? How do you know?" Sunny smashed her hands on the table very loudly causing me to jump. She crashed her head through the books destroying the organized pile we worked hard for. I looked at her and saw her convulsing with laughter. "What's so funny?" I questioned.

"You should have seen the look on your face! Oh god, too funny. So priceless!" She raised her head up and stared cheerfully into my eyes. "You know I don't know that right? I'm just messing with you."

I huffed at her and turned away from her gaze. How dare she do that to me? The little twerp.

I rushed to the puddle of books that were scattered all over the table. I began to organize then and re-stack them. As I was tidying them up, I could feel Sunny's bear like hands gripping on my shoulders. I heavily sighed, "What, Sunny?"

"It's your turn." She said innocently. "How did you get detention?"

She loosened her grip and I turned my body to face her. "You want to know?" I asked with a hint of uncertainty in my voice.

The short girl nodded. "It's only fair." She jumped onto the table and sat with her legs crossed. She bowed to me with her arms outstretched and said, "Please commence your story oh beautiful one. I would love to know how a wonderful goddess such as yourself became stuck doing menial labor with a shorty like me." I shook my head at her as she sent me a sweet expression on her face in my direction. 

"Fine." I gave in. "I'll tell you." 

She brought her hands up and rapidly clapped them together. "Yay! Story time."

I chuckled at her and commenced my story. "Mine is going to be short and sweet; it's not long at all. Not like yours, ha!" The teddy bear-like girl smirked at me. "Well, I got detention because I skipped school when fourth period was just starting."

Sunny's eyes widened and I could see her face tensing up. "You skipped?" She questioned. I nodded my head. "What for?"

"I was dealing with some personal issues that pertained my ex-boyfriend. I didn't know how to handle it so I just left on impulse." I calmly stated.

"Oh." Sunny sighed. I knew she was expecting something more. I saw that devilish look in her eyes.  "Then can you explain to me how Taeyeon got detention then?" She asked slyly.

I shyly averted from the teddy bear-like girl's gaze. I knew she was going to ask something that dealt with Taeyeon. "Well, um..." I hesitantly said. "I kinda, sorta, um... I made her ditch school with me." 

Sunny clapped her hands in success like she hit a gold mine. "There's the good stuff!" She snickered gaudily. "I can't believe you made her skip with you. That's kind of badass you know?"

"I don't think you're supposed to encourage my actions." I chuckled. "I don't want to want to get in trouble again and serve another week of detention."

The short girl's face lit up from me repeating her words. She happily smiled at me and said, "Hey, looks like I taught you something." Sunny scrunched her face boastfully at me.

I lightly laughed as I moved my hand to gently shove her shoulder. "Whatever Sunny, don't get yourself a big head. It won't match with your height challenged body."

She punched my arm and mockingly scoffed at me. "Hey! I'm just saying, if you ditch class with your girlfriend next time just don't get caught!"  I stood up from my seated position and walked away from Sunny's teasing. I raised my hands to cover my ears from the sound of her constant harassment. "Hey! I'm not that short either! I can reach the top shelf if I tried! Don't walk away from me! We have work to do! Tiffany!"

I could her breathing start to pick up. I turned around and I saw Sunny chasing after me. Shocked, I picked up my running pace. "Hey!" I yelled. "We're not supposed to be horse playing in the library!"

Sunny ignored my warnings. I gave into our childish acts and indulged in the relaxation.  We ran through the library, yelling, laughing, shouting, and playing with each other to pass the time. As we felt our bodies physically giving up on us, we stopped and placed our hands on our chests to catch our staggering breaths.

"You know, you're not what I expected you be." Sunny panted through her breaths.

I looked at her confusingly. "Is that a bad thing?"

She shook her head. "It's a good thing. It means you're different and I like that." I brought my eyes to face hers. They were rich, dark chocolate color. Not only were her eyes a beautiful shade of brown, they were also colored with sincerity and trust. I could feel my face starting to warm up because of her kindness. I shyly smiled at her and she reciprocated my actions.

"You know, I thought the same thing about you too Sunny. You're not bad yourself." I applauded her as I lightly punched in the shoulder.

She laughed in response while a friendly and comfortable silence surrounded us as we continued working till our two hour curfew was up. As we worked, she checked up on me to see how I was doing, if I need help of any sort, and to ask some questions to get to know each other more. Sometimes she would interrupt me as I'm busy with my task just to get me to laugh at her crazy antics. I looked at the clock on the wall and saw that our two hours were almost up. "Sunny," I said, "time is almost up. We should head back."

The short girl nodded at me and stopped what she was doing. She walked up to me and stuck her hand out. I looked at her and smiled while I reached to grab her palm and shake it. "I'll see you tomorrow buddy." Sunny joyously said.

"See you tomorrow Sunny." I lightheartedly smirked at her as she walked out of the library.  She wasn't what I expected. I could feel my face start to crack a smile. She wasn't what I expected from her at all... And I like that.

Taeyeon's POV

As I finished cleaning up the bases on the softball field I walked over to the dugout and slumped onto the bench. I reached for my phone in my back pocket to check the time. I sighed in relief knowing that we only had fifteen minutes left of our two hour block. I held on to my phone as I rested my head up against the wooden frame of the dugout, my legs relaxed, and my feet planted on the concrete floor against the leftover sunflower seed shells.

Feeling comfortable, I closed my eyelids trying to immerse myself in a power nap, but I was woken up by the sound of someone hitting the ground and the crashing of various items. "Hey Taeyeon..." I heard a trembling voice said. I opened my eyes, turned my attention to a pile of fallen softball equipment scattered on the field and a fallen Wooyoung under the mess. "Can I get some help here please?" He begged.

I rushed over to him and lifted the objects off his body. After that I outstretched my hand to help him up off the ground. As he reached for my hand I saw a smile form on his face. I awkwardly smiled back at him, pulled him off the ground, and asked, "Are you okay Wooyoung?" He rose onto his feet and let go of my hand to wipe the earthy-brown powder off his clothes.

"I'm fine." The raven-haired kid looked over to me and grinned. "Thank you for helping me."

I nodded. "No problem." 

An awkward silence hovered over us. To avoid it, I turned away from Wooyoung and walked back to the dugout. "So Taeyeon-ah." He called, stopping me in my tracks. "I'm curious about something..."

"Damn it!" I sighed silently. I really didn't want to know what curious Wooyoung wanted, but I needed to play it cool. I turned around with a forced smile on my face and answered, "Yes, what do you want to know?"

"How did you get detention?" Surprised by his directness, my forced expression became relaxed.

"Why do you want to know?" I shrugged at him.

"It's weird to see someone like you doing stuff like this. It doesn't really suit you." Wooyoung walked a bit towards me. I stepped back and eyed him, my gaze telling him that I like my personal space.

"Someone like me?" I responded as I crossed my arms. "What do you mean by 'someone like me' shouldn't be in detention?"

The raven-haired kid laughed. "I don't mean it in a bad way. It just shocks me that a pretty girl like you is paired up to do work like this with a guy like me."

My face softened at his words. "What's wrong with a guy like you?"

He coyly smirked. "People think I'm a bad guy."

I stared at him in shock. "You? A bad guy? No way."

He nodded at me. "They think I am, but let me tell you that I'm not. At least I think I'm not a bad guy, but I have my moments though. That's beside the point. Anywho, what people think of me, well, it's given me a bad reputation."

"Is that how you got detention Wooyoung?" I curiously asked him.

"Nope." He shook his head.

"Then how?" I asked again.

"If I told you, you'd laugh at me." He shyly looked away from me.

I had a feeling something fishy was up. He was being too mysterious. "I won't laugh. I promise."

Wooyoung shook his head from side to side. "I can't say it. If I did, you'll have to date me."

I quickly stepped away from him, appalled by his words. "Date you?" I shouted. “I barely even know you! We were only partners for two days and you spout bull like this? What happened to our pact huh? No funny business? We're only partners and friends. Nothing more, nothing less!" After I finished my speech, I could see Wooyoung start to laugh uncontrollably. I stared at him in disbelief and confusion. "What's so funny?" I questioned.

"You should have seen the look on your face!" He placed his hands on his abdomen, attempting to contain his laughter. "Oh god, that was priceless!"

"What's so funny? Were you serious about me dating you? Wooyoung?" I yelled at him, bombarding him with my questions.

As he ceased his laughter he began to speak. "You're funny Taeyeon. Ha, you're very refreshing, like a cold glass of delicious lemonade on a hot summer's day or a rare cool, crisp breeze that rushes through the humid weather."

I lightly laughed at his corniness. "That was so cheesy." I playfully shook my head at him, starting to feel a smile forming on my face. 

"How about this?" He placed one hand on his chest while the other was outstretched into sky.

"Are we doing Shakespeare now or something?" I smirked at his antics.

"Shall, I compare thee to a summer's day? It is the east, and Taeyeon is the sun..." Wooyoung began, his expression totally immersed in his actions.

I ran up to him in embarrassment and gently punched him in the shoulder. "Don't do that!" I laughed, failing to contain the joy forming on my face. "That's so corny." 

He started to chuckle at me. "At least I got you to smile. You look sad all the time when you're around me." I turned to look at him and he sent me a calm, cool expression on his face. I was surprised that a supposed bad guy like him was capable of such gestures.

My eyes widened at the comment. I raised my hand and directed my pointer finger towards me. "I look sad all the time around you?"

He nodded his head. "Yeah. It makes me sad. That's why I made it my goal today to see you smile, and I accomplished it." I could feel my heart warm up at his thoughtfulness and his kindness.

"Thank you Wooyoung." I smiled at him. "That's really sweet of you."  

"No problem." The raven-haired kid fixated his gaze towards me, his expression sweet as honey. "That's what friends are for right?"

I could hear a tinge of disappointment in his voice, but I disregarded it thinking it was more about him feeling sorry for me and for wanting to be a good friend. "Yes, that's what friends are for." I proudly stated.

"If we're going to be friends then," he asked, turning his gaze away from me, "then can you be happier around me? You looking sad all the time, well, it doesn't suit you. I'd rather see you happy because that's when you're the prettiest. The smiling, relaxed, cheerful, kid-like, happy-go-lucky Taeyeon is the best Taeyeon."

I turned to face him. Even though he wasn't looking at me, I could tell that his eyes were beaming with sincerity. I smiled as I felt my cheeks warm up at his words. As a strange, but comfortable silence enclosed us, I remembered my phone that was in my hand. I raised the cellular object to my face to read the time. My eyes almost fell out of their sockets when I saw what the phone screen showed me. I tapped Wooyoung on the shoulder and he looked at me with a baffled expression on his face.

"What?" He asked.

I showed him my phone and pointed to the screen. "We're going to be late. It's time to head back."

"Ah, okay." He smiled as he walked towards the dugout.

"What are you doing?" I questioned his actions. "We have to head back! We're going to get in trouble if we don't."

Wooyoung waved his hand in the air. "It's okay. I need to finish some things." He brushed-off my warning. "You head back so you won't get in trouble. I'll be fine."

I looked at him skeptically. "Are you sure Wooyoung?"

He nodded his head. "Yeah, I'm sure. Don't worry about it okay? Go on ahead and get some rest for tomorrow." He flashed a warm grin towards me.

"Okay." I brightly smiled back, attempting to make him happy. "Take care Wooyoung!" I waved goodbye as I left the softball fields.

"See you later Taeyeon!" He yelled. "Oh! You owe me an explanation for the questions you didn't answer!"

I laughed at him. "Tomorrow? Okay? Is that good?" I hollered back, cupping my hands around my mouth to project my voice.

Even though I was become further and farther away from him I could see raven-haired kid copying my actions. "Yeah! That's fine!" He bellowed.

"But you have some explaining to do as well!" I retaliated, remembering that he left me in the dark with the questions I asked him. "Don't just pin the blame all on me!"

I could hear his loud laughter echoing in the distance. "Okay! Sounds good! See you! Bye!"

"Bye!" I raised my arm in the arm and flailed it around as my final goodbye of the night.

As I left the field to enter the school, I could feel the corners of my lips starting to quiver upward. I chuckled at my own actions. I entered into the detention room, grabbed my stuff, and headed towards the front of the school where my parents were waiting to pick me up. As I inserted myself into the car, I kissed my father and my mother on the cheek and started to reflect on the day. I smiled to myself at the thought of Wooyoung's friendliness. He was a strange kid, but he wasn't what I expected. Wooyoung was one interesting guy and he wasn't what I expected... And I liked that.