Catching Feelings

I Won't Say I'm In Love

Taeyeon's POV

I faced school with the thought of, 'I like Tiffany' repeating through my head like a mantra. This thought buzzed through my mind. I couldn't focus on anything else. It was as like my feelings for her intoxicated my psyche leaving me drunk, but through my actions and thoughts I was very much sober.

Well, I think I like her. Well, I wouldn't be friends with her if I didn't. I wouldn't hang out with someone I disliked. This is just infatuation right? I don't know her well enough to solidify my feelings. We're just good friends, but why does that thought not sit well with me? Taeyeon. Get it together.

I still don't know how I made it through the day with how my mindset was, but I did. I somehow managed to coherently process thoughts and words to my friends such as Sunny and Tiffany. I'm still in shock that I kept it together when I was around the athletic brunette girl during my two classes with her. Kudos to Taeyeon. I'm a good sport. I did it. The last bell of the day rang, which excused me to head over to detention.

As I entered the premises of the softball field, Wooyoung was nowhere in sight. "Wooyoung?" I said curiously. "Where are you?"

The wind filled in the silent awkwardness that consumed the area. I was left feeling confused. "Where the hell is he?" I pondered while I walked over to the dugout to work on my new task for detention. To my surprise, the work that I was entrusted to do for the day was already completed. Looking upon this sent me into more confusion and mystery.

"What the hell is going on?" I whispered. I ran my hand through my hair in frustration. "This is really strange..."

Suddenly a pair of familiar, toned and muscular arms wrapped around my waist and lifted me off the ground. "Taeyeon!" The voice yelled.

"Wooyoung!" I said in surprise and laughter. "You jerk! Put me down!"

"Nope! Not going to." He playfully said as he stuck his tongue out. "Make me!"

"What are you a child?" I huffed as I wriggled in his clutches. "Let me go!"

As I found proper footing on the ground I proceeded to lightly kick Wooyoung in the shin, causing him to lose his balance. Little did I know that I was still in his grasp so I fell down with him into the grass. I closed my eyes, turned my head, and felt my body tense up before I felt the impact of my body hitting the ground. To my surprise, I didn't land on the soft grass. Instead I felt hands cradling my back and my head which protected me from the ground. This action seemed familiar. My heart warmed up when I remembered subconsciously that Tiffany saved me from falling and almost hitting my head against the pavement when I fell asleep on her.

I opened my eyes in hopes of seeing the brunette girl, but instead I saw a puppy-eyed, milky-faced boy in my midst. My expression became a little sad, but my cheeks warmed up at his grand gesture in saving me from hitting the ground. My eyes filled with worry, so I peered over his head and his body to see if he was okay. He lifted his head up to match his gaze with mine. As we made eye contact I decided to look upon his facial features. Just as I thought, he looked like a cute puppy with his squishy cheeks and his puffy eyes.

"Taeyeon," he coughed. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah." I smiled. "Thanks for saving me?"

"No problem." He laughed. The raven-haired kid looked at the situation we were in and started to blush. "U-um." He stuttered. "We're a little too close for comfort. I'll get off you."

I chuckled at his behavior. "You're too cute Wooyoung."

"Thanks?" He said as he pulled his body off of mine, his hands trailing down my arms to pull me off the ground. I shuddered at the contact. I wasn't used to this feeling ever since I broke up Leeteuk. As we both positioned each other vertically he let go of my arms and turned away from me. I could feel the aura of embarrassment emitting from him.

"Are you okay Wooyoung?" I asked kindly. No response from him. I looked over to the completed work and asked again, "Did you do all this?"

He nodded his head, his body still turned away from me. "You didn't have to. This was my work, I could have done it. Thank you though."

"You're welcome Taeyeon." He hesitantly said. "Anytime."

I walked closer to him to fill up the awkward space in between us. "Look, you don't have to be embarrassed. It was an accident. I know you didn't mean to fall on me. It's okay. Stuff like that happens. Just don't scare me like that again."

He turned around to look at me with his signature awkward half-smile on his face. "Alright, I promise."

I smiled back at him and proceeded to give him a hug. The raven-haired kid wrapped his arms around my neck as my head rested against his chest. This was different. It wasn't bad, but it was... Different.

After the hug he pulled me away from his embrace so we could look at each other. Standing face to face, arms-length away, Wooyoung stared deep into my eyes with a look of seriousness, but wavered in skepticism. I could infer from his actions that he wanted to tell me something, but deep down I had feeling that I knew what it was.

"Taeyeon," he started. "I need to tell you something."

"What do you need to tell me?" I asked with innocence.

"For this past week, well for these past few days I have gotten to know you, I think that I'm starting to like you."

I was taken aback by his forwardness. Were all of Sunny's friends this open about their feelings?

"I know that this may be a shock to you, and it's a shock to me too, but somehow I can't help it. I don't know if it's infatuation or what, but all know is that I can't stop these feelings for you. I like you Taeyeon."

I was left speechless. No words left my mouth to respond to the puppy-eyed boy's sudden confession. He laughed in response to my actions and said, "It's okay if you don't feel the same way back, in fact I had a hunch that you wouldn't. I just wanted to let you know how I feel because… I wanted you to know."

"That's really sweet of you Wooyoung." I sadly smiled at him, not able to reciprocate his feelings. "I commend you for your bravery. It took a lot of guts to confess your feelings, but I don't feel the same way. I hope we can still be friends though."

He nodded his head. "I'd like that, but that's doesn't mean I'll give up." The raven-haired kid confidently smiled as released me from his grip. "I hope that you'll like me in the future."

"You have some high hopes there. I don't want to lead you on." I laughed at him while I ruffled his hair with my hand.

"You're not leading me on Taeyeon. I know what I'm getting myself into." He said reassuringly. "One day, I know that you'll fall for me."

I huffed at his statement. "Are you crazy? I'd like to see you try, but for now let's focus on being friends. That's all I want."

I stuck out my hand and he proceeded to shake it in his. "Just friends?" He teased. I raised my eyebrow at him in slight irritation. "Kidding, I know my place. It was worth a shot though." He smiled. "I will respect your boundaries Taeyeon. I won't try anything. No funny business from me. Just know that I'm here for you okay?"

"Thanks Wooyoung." I warmly smiled back. "Thank you for understanding."

"No problem." The tall kid said, ending the conversation. A comfortable silence enveloped over us as we walked around the softball fields. I consumed myself into my own thoughts, thinking of the brunette girl from time to time. A smile slowly appeared on face, causing the raven-haired kid to look over and gently laugh at my behavior.

"What's so funny?" I turned to look Wooyoung.

"You." He stated. "You're too adorable."

I blushed at his comment. "Thanks."

"You're welcome." He grinned. "I'm curious about something. What were you thinking about?"

"Tiffany." I smiled. "I miss her."

"Don't you guys have class together?" I nodded in reply. “You must like her a lot if she can make you smile like that."

I looked over him, my eyes beamed in secrecy and extreme happiness at the feelings I felt towards the athletic brunette girl. “Oh you have no idea.”

Tiffany’s POV

"This has to be the slowest week of detention I have ever been in…" I heard Sunny groan in irritation. “It’s only been the fifth day and we’re almost done with our crap! Like, what the heck!" She through her hands up in the air like she was questioning the gods for giving her this punishment. I could tell that she was quickly becoming annoyed. I couldn’t blame her because I was bothered by the situation as well. She flopped her petite body on the filthy, worn out carpet of the library and let out a tired sigh. I walked over to the table and pulled out a chair for me to sit in. I was not going to lay my body on that detestable carpet.

"Don’t you want to sit in a chair where it’s nice and clean?" I suggested to the short girl, shivering at the thought of lying on a grimy carpet.

She rocked her head from side to side. “Nope." she stated. “I’m comfortable here thank you very much." The teddy bear like girl rolled back and forth, letting the small dirty particles collect on her clothes.

She was wearing such a cute cardigan too. Why does she want to get it dirty? I disappointingly sighed as my fingers massaged my temples. 

An awkward silence engulfed us both as we relaxed into our desired body position. I surveyed the amount of work that we did and I was completely baffled. I was shocked at to what we accomplished. I was so proud of myself. I could feel the smile of instant gratification form on my face.

"Hey! Wipe that smirk off your face." Sunny shouted jokingly, her loud, playful voice crashing into my thoughts. “Don’t think that you cleaned this place just by yourself!"

How did she read my mind? My expression turned unpleasant for a bit, but then I laughed at her when I realized she was joking. I crossed my arms in mock irritation, playing along with her game “I did some work." I replied humorously.

Sunny quickly rushed up and jokingly pointed angrily towards me. I wondered, what game was she up to today? Sunny is so strange. I couldn't help but laugh.

“Work my !" she shouted in mock irritation. "I did the heavy lifting, the bolting, and most of the cleaning! You just stood there and nagged at me like you're some type of manager at a job who just orders his workers around!"

I instantly jumped out of my chair and snatched the danshin’s collar into my hands. “Well call me 'Manager Hwang' then! And also, someone has to take charge around here and tell people what needs to get done or they won't get anywhere!"

We stood in the middle of the library staring back at each other. Noticing the position we were in we both laughed uncontrollably at each other and dropped to the floor. "I can't take you seriously when you’re mad Sunny, even when you're faking it. It's just too funny." I held my stomach, feeling the muscle spasms of my laughter.

"You should've seen the look on your face Tiffany when you grabbed my shirt!" She wiped a tear from her eyes. "Oh man, thanks for playing along. I was getting bored out of my mind here!"

I nodded my head in agreement. "You're welcome. It was very entertaining. Have you ever thought of being a comedian?"

Sunny furrowed her eyebrows, pondering the possibility of choosing her future career. "I don't know Tiffany. It would be nice, but I see myself singing in front of big crowds."

"Really?" I stared at her amazement. "You sing?"

"Yeah!" The danshin replied in fervor.

"Sing for me then." Intrigued by the teddy bear kid's unknown talent. "Please?"

"All righty then." She smiled. "If you say so."

She cleared and started to sing:

"Could it be a possibility? I'm trying to say what's up. ‘Cause I'm made for you, and you for me, baby now it's time for us. I'm trying to keep it all together but enough is enough. They say we're too young for love, but I'm... Catching feelings."

As I listened to the lyrics I started to smile at the meaning of them and how it related to my situation. Am I really 'catching feelings' for Taeyeon?

I huffed at the irony and then looked over to Sunny in awe. I surprised at the vocal quality that escaped . Her voice was smooth and calming like tranquil waters swaying back and forth to the moon's gentle pull of gravity. Her voice was euphonious to listening ears. "Wow," was the only thing I could say.

Sunny looked over to me and warmly smiled at me. "Did you like it?"

I nodded my head in response. "I did. Wow, I'm shocked. I didn't expect that from you."

"People don't expect many things from me." The shorty humbly stated. "But I do try to be spontaneous, so just expect that."

I lightly chuckled at her statement. "Ah, alright then."

We stopped talking for a while and stared at the stained library ceiling. There were many brown, ripple-like, circular blots on the ceiling tiles. It made me wonder how they got there or what compelled them to form. It was kind of gross thinking about them. I hope we don't have to clean that either. I mentally cringed in advance if we had to clean even more. I was getting tired and I could see that the energy was slowly being out of Sunny.

"Hey," Sunny asked, snapping me out of my thoughts. "I was wondering, did you make up with Taengoo yet?"

I turned my head to look at the teddy bear girl and moved my body to sit in a more comfortable position. After I crossed my legs and placed my hands on the ground for stability I said smiling, "Yeah, I did."

The corners of Sunny's face started to move upward. I could tell that she was happy that Taeyeon and I had made up. "You must be happy that we did Sunny."

She nodded and replied, "I am. I'm very happy that you both made up with each other. You guys have like the cutest friendship ever."

"Thanks." I smiled back at her and asked, "How did you and Taeyeon meet?"

Sunny tilted her head upward, remembering when she met the brunette-blonde haired girl. The danshin recollected her thoughts and said, "It was the day that I invited her to the Water Front. You and I weren't friends back then."

"Ah. Now we are." I smirked to her. "I'm glad."

"Me too." Sunny agreed. "Oh! If you don't mind me asking, I'm curious as to what Taeng and you did instead of going to the bonfire at the beach?"

"About that," I shyly said. "I'm sorry that I took her away from the party. I kind of wanted to leave, but we ended up having a party on our own."

"Don't worry about it." The teddy-bear kid said. "It's a huge party anyway, people are bound to come and go. So what did you guys do instead?"

I smiled, reminiscing at the memory of the petite girl and me walking down the Water Front side by side, our bodies touching and sharing the warmth that the blanket encased us in. "We took a walk along the Water Front. We watched the waves crash against the sand, felt the beach winds through our hair, and we kind of cuddled to keep each other warm because it was extremely cold."

"That's cute." Sunny chuckled.

I became confused at her reaction. "What's so funny?"

"There's an old romantic rumor about the Water Front." She stated. "Have you heard it?" I shook my head and I listened attentively to her story. "Well, the rumor states that if your partner and you can successfully walk across the Water Front from start to finish then you are destined to be together."

My jaw widened at the absurdity of the tale, but my heart raced at the fact that Taeyeon and I did make the rumor come true for us. I shook my head in disbelief and proceeded to say, "Are you serious?"

Sunny shrugged her shoulders. "I don't believe it much either. A rumor is only a rumor till proven true."

"Yeah," I laughed it off. "Only rumors."

An awkward blanket of silence covered us. We looked around the room trying to find topics to talk about, but to no avail. I sighed to relax myself, which made the danshin turn her head to look at me. She flashed a look of curiosity in her eyes. Her expressions were begging me to ask me something. "Yes?" I said to humor her. "What do you want?"

"Well, um, Tiffany," she asked. "I know it's not really my business, but I can't really keep this question to myself anymore. Is it okay if I ask it?"

I nodded my head. Sunny sighed in relief and asked, "Do you like anybody?"

I was taken aback by this girl's forwardness. "Um, why do you want to know?" I responded.

"I'm just curious." The short girl said. "After you broke it off with your boyfriend, it's only normal to like someone again."

"Well, I haven't really thought much about it." I lied. "I'm just interested in anyone right now."

"Hmm, I have hard time believing you." Sunny smirked. "But then again, it could be infatuation."

"What do you mean by that? Why don't you believe me?" I scoffed.

"It's nothing. I'm probably wrong anyway." The teddy bear girl huffed in embarrassment.

"No, it's okay Sunny. Just tell me, I won't get mad." I was curious at the teddy-bear kid's thoughts.

"Okay." She weakly smiled. "Well, I've just noticed some things."

"What things?" I inquired.

"Well, I've noticed some things happening between you and someone and it made me question if you guys are more than 'just friends'..." She stopped.

"Me and who?" I asked her, trying to coax the answer out of her even though I had a feeling that I knew who it was.

"You and Taeyeon." She finished.

My body froze at Sunny's answer. I clenched my fists together and asked, "What have you noticed?"

"Well," the short girl started. "You treat her differently. You care for her more than your other friends."

"Like how?" I begged for an elaboration.

"When you're around her, you're a lot happier. You guys are so comfortable around each other, too comfortable I should say. You guys do things that friends don't normally do."

"Stop beating around the bush Sunny." I shoved her shoulder. "Just what are you getting at here?"

"Do you like Taeyeon?" The shorty questioned. I stared at her in shock. "By the way you guys interact; the chemistry between you both is... I don't really know how to describe it, it's just... I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked."

She looked away from me, flushed with embarrassment. I scooted my body closer to her and placed my hand on her shoulder to comfort her. "It's okay," I reassured her. "It's okay to ask me these questions. How are we supposed to get to know each other more if we don't?"

"It's just," she stuttered. "I didn't want to offend you."

My heart warmed up at Sunny's careful consideration of me. "You didn't offend me. In fact, I'm kind of grateful to you that you asked me because..." I paused.

"Because what?" The teddy bear kid asked.

"Because I think I like Taeyeon." I quickly muttered, hoping the teasing danshin didn't catch what I said.

A smile slowly started to creep on the short girl's face. "What was that Tiffany?"

My face became a bright, cherry red. "Don't make me say it again Sunny..."

"What?" The teasing twerp cupped her hand behind her ear, pretending that she couldn't hear me. "I didn't catch that. Tell me again?"

"I like Taeyeon!" I frustratingly shouted. "I like her okay? Geez, was that clear enough for you?"

Sunny's face lit up with excitement. "I knew it."

"Look, it's not set in stone." I brought myself back to reality. "I don't know if I like her 'like that'. I just know that I do like her. I wouldn't care for her the way I do if I didn't."

"You have a point." Sunny agreed. "But still, it's exciting. Aw, Fany likes Taengoo!"

"Hey!" I yelled. "Don't mention out loud. Not yet. I'm not sure about my feelings for her. I don't even know her well enough..."

"In all honesty," Sunny stated, "you don't really have to know much about a person in a general sense to like them. It would be nice to know more about them, but it's not what you know about them most of the time. It's about how you feel around them, the experiences they open you up to, the times that they've always been by your side, the moments that you were at your darkest point and they were the light at the end of tunnel to help guide you through."

As her words settled into my mind, I recalled the moments that Taeyeon proved her friendship towards me and solidified my feelings for her. However, it still felt wrong for me to say that I liked Taeyeon. I felt that I had no right to because of the lack of information I knew about the caramel haired girl. "You have a point Sunny, but I'm still not so sure. We're both girls..."

"So what if you're both girls?" Sunny scoffed. "You can't control who your feelings gravitate to. It just happens. Gender shouldn't matter anyway. It's what's on the inside that counts."

I looked over to her in shock. She was very convincing and adamant about helping me figure out my feelings for the petite girl. I smiled at the care the teddy bear girl emitted for me. "That's true, but I still don't know much about her. What do I do about that?"

"Go out of your way to get to know her more then!" Sunny said in tone that stated the obvious. "Are you going to hang out with her soon?"

"Well," I recalled. "Her family invited me over to her house."

"Perfect." Sunny smiled. "There's your chance to get to know her more and get on her family's good side."

I nodded my head in agreement. "You're right. I can't mess this up."

The short girl clasped her hands into my own and said. "You won't mess this up, because you know what to do. I believe in you Tiffany. This is your chance to figure out if you have feelings for Taeyeon. You can do it. Tiffany, fighting!"

"Thanks Sunny." I chuckled.

"You're welcome!" The teddy bear girl smiled back. She looked over to the clock and got up from the floor. "Time's almost up. You should head out. I'll finish up here."

"Are you sure?" I asked as I got up from the ground, stretching my limbs.

"Yeah. You have a big task ahead of you anyway so you should focus on that." She grinned.

"Okay." I smiled as I headed out the library. "Take care Sunny."

"Thanks Fany!" She happily yelled. "You too."

"Oh! Wait." I abruptly said. "What was the name of that song you were singing earlier?"

"Catching Feelings." The shorty said. "Ironic huh?"

I laughed. "Yeah, ironic indeed. I think it's going to be my new favorite song though."

"I'm glad." Sunny smiled as she went back to work.

I turned back around and left the building, leaving the teddy bear like girl in the library to add the finishing touches. As I proceeded to leave the school the lyrics of my new favorite song left my lips:

"They say we're too young for love, but I'm... Catching feelings~"

I huffed at the coincidence of the lyrics. It described my situation perfectly because I was 'catching feelings'.

Those feelings I harbored were for a certain adorable, petite, brunette-blonde girl. These feelings I felt were for Taeyeon.

Why?

Because I liked her, and it was as simple as that.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Author's Note:

Hello readers! :D

"Song of the Chapter": "Catching Feelings" by Justin Bieberhttp://youtu.be/axyfEusEuho

And for all you EXO fans here is Kyungsoo's version of it: http://youtu.be/7ve20eRb8k0

Both are so good. UGH. <3

Sincerely,

PandaJR :D