Getting to Know You

I Won't Say I'm In Love

Tiffany’s POV

"Let’s go!" Taeyeon exclaimed as she grabbed my hand and pulled me to her side, causing me to hit her hip.

"Ah," I whispered. She turned her face to look into my eyes, confused at the noise I made. “I bumped into you, sorry." I chuckled.

She showed a trademark smirk towards me and said, “It’s okay."

We began our walk on the waterfront while listening to sounds of the waves wrestling against the sand, watching the insects and the birds zooming and chirping past us, and the wind occasionally sending ocean air-filled gusts from time to time. Very relaxing.

As a cozy silence encircled us, I could feel Taeyeon start to shiver against my arm. She started to chatter her teeth, indicating that she was cold. She loosened her grip from my arm as she started to rub her hands against her body, trying to generate some friction to warm herself up. I started to feel bad for her.  I sighed at the fact that this cute shivering little girl forgot her coat.

I took off my large pink blanket that surrounded my body and draped it over Taeyeon and me. Taeyeon noticed my sudden action and smiled at my kind gesture. She wrapped her arm around mine and pulled me closer to her to share the body heat. I jerked at the sudden contact of her cold-clothed body against my warmth. I didn’t know Taeyeon very well, so for her to be this close shocked me. In fact, I wasn’t used to it.

I felt the sharp knife of irritation piercing within myself. I recalled the last time that I was physically close with someone. As the memory worked its way into my psyche, I tried and successfully pushed that terrible memory out of my mind. I didn’t want to remember that moment at all, at least, not now. As I submerged myself into my negative thoughts, I felt a slight tug on my arm. That action snapped me out of my senses and made me realize the person next to me was Taeyeon, not Siwon. I breathed feeling of relief into my body and smiled over to the lukewarm girl by my side.

"Are you okay Tiffany" Taeyeon asked worriedly. “You were silent for a while and you had a weird look on your face."

"What look?" I questioned. I raised my hand towards my face and started to sweep any strange expression off of it. “Is there something wrong with my face?" 

Taeyeon brought her hand to cover and started to laugh. She wouldn’t stop. “Is my face that funny?" I sadly pouted.

The brunette-blonde girl shook her head and answered, “No silly. It’s not your face that’s funny. It’s what you did when I mentioned something about your face." Taeyeon continued laughing again. As she came to a stop she looked over to me and said, “Nothing’s wrong with your face Tiffany." She broke her gaze as she rested her head on my shoulder. “You’re beautiful, just the way you are." she yawned.

I felt my face warm up extremely quick and I felt my heart start to beat very fast because of her comment. I cracked a small smile to myself and chuckled at her actions. Suddenly, a coat of warmth encased me and I didn’t need that blanket as much as I thought I would. I released myself from Taeyeon’s grasp, took off the blanket, and wrapped her in it. The brunette-blonde girl flashed a look of bewilderment toward me. “Aren’t you cold Tiffany?" she chattered through her teeth.

I shook my head and responded, “Nope. I’m warm enough." Taeyeon cuddled into the blanket and shivered again, hoping to generate more heat. I laughed, “I think you need the blanket more than I do."

"Thank you Tiffany." she shivered. “You’re really nice, nicer than most people." I turned to Taeyeon to listen to her attentively. “You’re so considerate and you don’t find that quality in a lot of people." My heart warmed at this girl’s kindness.

We didn't know each other very well, but she still goes off and says all these nice things about me. Does she realize that has all these qualities too?

"Sorry about before." she interrupted my thoughts. I looked over at her, confused at her apology. She continued on. “About me laughing at you. I didn’t mean to do that. It’s just, I don’t like it when my friends are sad."

"It’s okay Taeyeon." I chuckled. “It was actually pretty funny and your insane laughter made it better." Taeyeon’s kid-like face lit up at my response. I grinned at how adorable she was.

We both turned around and saw that we were very distant from the party. We saw the black smoke funnel its way into the dark, star-filled sky from the glowing bonfire in the distance. “Turns out we had a party of our own." Taeyeon huffed proudly.

I snickered at the statement. “Yeah, we did." I turned to Taeyeon and gave the brunette-blonde an earnest smile. “Turns out that this party was a lot better though." I said with honesty. She grinned and me and looked straightforward to the path that we were walking on. A pleasant silence filled the atmosphere again as we strolled two by two, sharing the same walking pace. I put my hand in my pocket and pulled out my phone to check the time. “Wow, it’s late." I sighed. I faced towards Taeyeon and asked, “Do you need a ride home?"

Taeyeon skeptically looked at me and retorted, “Are you sure you would like to give me ride home?"

"Do you need a ride or not?" I stated bluntly.

The petite girl gulped at my forwardness and nodded her head in shame. “It’s okay to get a ride from me. We’re friends right? Don’t friends do that for each other?" I smiled warmly to reassure her. She raised her head back up and gave a weak smile.

I looked at my phone to check the time again. “Dang it’s getting late." I fixated my eyes towards Taeyeon and caught her dozing off. Noticing her tiredness I grabbed the petite girl’s wrists and started to drag her to keep up with my pace. “Let’s go Taeyeon." I yawned, noticing that I was starting to feel fatigued as well.

Taeyeon’s POV

I woke up in a seated position as I felt the restraints of a seat belt rustle against my clothes. I scanned the new location that I was in and realized that I was in someone’s car. I looked over to the driver’s seat and saw a familiar figure through my blurred vision. I looked down and saw a large pink blanket that covered my whole body. My sight started to clear up and my surroundings became more focused.

"Good morning Sleeping Beauty," the person from the driver’s seat said. I looked over to the driver and saw that the voice belonged to Tiffany. The brunette girl chuckled at me and asked, “Did you sleep well?" I nodded to her as my response while I sprawled my limbs out to stretch them. “Yah! Watch where you put your arms. I’m driving."  Tiffany warned. I pulled back my arms and reached for the blanket to wrap around my body.

"You really like that blanket don’t you Taeyeon?" Tiffany giggled.

"Yeah." I said comfortably as I scrunched the thick cloth between my fingers. “How did this blanket get on me?" I questioned.

"Oh, I put it on you. You were shivering a lot when I tried to get you into the car so I thought the blanket would keep you warm. I also the heater too, just for you." the brunette girl replied. My heart warmed up at the thought of her actions. I could feel my cheeks burning up as well because of her friendliness.

"You know…" she shouted, breaking me out of my thoughts. “You fell on me because you were so tired. You almost got my blanket dirty. Anywho, I thought I couldn’t catch you in time, but thank god I did. You were just about to hit your head on the pavement. Geez, that wouldn’t have been good." she sighed heavily. "Oh, and did you know that you talk in your sleep? I had a full conversation with you and that made me think you were awake this whole time, but no, you were actually asleep and talking to me."

My face turned a bright red and became flushed with embarrassment. I placed my hand on my forehead in frustration. I could only imagine what we talked about.

"We didn’t talk about anything bad, but it was just so weird that you can do that." Tiffany continued on. “Like, I asked you where you lived and you gave me your address. You talked in full sentences and everything."

"I’m sorry." I apologized.

Tiffany laughed, “Don’t worry about it. It was cute to watch. It kept me entertained. I finally know what move Sailor Moon does when she transforms into Sailor Moon."

I hid my face into Tiffany’s blanket, trying to conceal my embarrassment, but to no avail. She kept on laughing at me. Was this payback for what I did at the waterfront?

As I placed my head against the car door I heard the engine stop roaring. I looked through the car window and saw that we were at my house. “We’re here!" the brunette shouted and raised her hands in mock glory. “As much as I don’t want you go, we have to stop the fun here." she sadly told me.

We both looked at each other and sighed at the disappointment we both felt. “Well," Tiffany said awkwardly. “I guess I’ll see you later?"

"I guess so." I sighed. I reached for the car door and pulled on the latch. I threw her blanket on the passenger seat while I opened the door. As I got out of the car I turned to look at Tiffany. “Thank you for the ride home," I sadly smiled, already missing her company.

"I’ll see you at school?" she questioned, with a hint of worry in her voice.

"Yeah, I’ll see you at school." I replied. As she started her car I ran up to her window. Tiffany rolled it down and gave me a frazzled look. “We should hang out more often." I suggested. "Today at the Water Front was fun and so was the ride home." The brunette haired girl nodded her head in agreement. “Thank you for a fun day Tiffany. I’m glad we got to know each other a little more."

Tiffany’s face beamed happiness at my sincerity. She got out of her car and stood in front of me. She was slightly taller than me which didn’t faze me. Most people are giants to me and I learned how to appreciate my shortness. She looked at me with her welcoming chocolate brown eyes and pulled me into a warm hug. My heart started to rapidly palpitate and my breathing started to cease. As I regained my breathing back, I wrapped my arms around her and nuzzled my head into her shoulder. It was amazing how my body fit well and snug into Tiffany’s embrace.

Like a lock and a key.

Tiffany pulled away from my body and got back into her car. Before she left she flashed her radiant smile towards me. I waved goodbye with the cheesiest grin on my face as I watched her leave my driveway and head off back to her home.

As I walked into my home, I entered my room and crashed on my bed, not bothering to clean myself up. “The more I get to know you Tiffany…" I muttered into my pillow. “The more interesting you get." I silently smiled. “I’m glad we’re friends." I finally whispered as I slowly drifted into a nice, comforting sleep.

Tiffany’s POV

As I reached my home, I ran out of my car, barged into my room, and quickly jumped into my bed. I felt so damn tired. I groaned, not bothering to wash myself up.

"I had a fun day today." I breathed, trying to close my eyes to get some rest. As I relaxed into my bed, images of today's event rushed through my mind. Thoughts of Taeyeon and her kind friendliness made my heart start to beat loudly against my chest. “Taeyeon, you are one interesting girl." I smiled. “The more I get to know you, the more I want to be friends with you." I silently chuckled as I sent my body into a deep sleep.