Partners In Crime

I Won't Say I'm In Love

Taeyeon’s POV

"Welcome back Taeyeon." My mother and father greeted me with a smile. As I entered the house I felt a contrived aura emitting from them, but I dismissed it because I thought it was just a parent thing. I walked up to both of them and proceeded to kiss their cheeks.

"Glad to be back." I sighed as I walked over to the kitchen to retrieve some food. “Is there anything to eat? I’m starving."

My parents started to laugh at me. “Okay, something’s up." I whispered. I turned around with a piece of bread in my mouth and a can of Black Soya in my hand. “What’s so funny?" I asked.

My mother smirked at me and said, “Maybe you could have gotten some lunch if you didn’t skip school today."

I almost choked on my bread. I pounded my chest to force down the starchy substance in my throat. I chugged the juice to help break the dam in my windpipe. “How did you…?" I brutally coughed trying to loosen the extra pieces.

"Taeyeon, don’t play dumb. The school called us about your shenanigans." My mother stated coldly.

"B-but…" I tried to retaliate back, but I couldn’t form my thoughts in a coherent manner.

"We called the school back and you’re going to serve detention for a week." My father added.

"Detention?" I yelled trying to defend myself. I knew what I did was wrong, but I didn’t want to go down without a fight. “Why a week? How about three days?" I suggested. My parents deliberated my proposal and shook their heads. I boiled with frustration. “I didn’t do anything bad. I just left the school for a day! It’s not like I set it on fire or caused a chemical outbreak."

"A week Taeyeon." They harshly stated. “That’s final."

I sighed in defeat. “Fine." I sternly said as I walked over to my room. As I entered my quarters I closed and locked the door. I ran my hand through my hair to calm myself down. “Ugh… Detention." I huffed. “I love doing that…"

I reached into my pocket and grabbed my phone. I scrolled through my contacts and smiled at the new number I received, forgetting that I was previously angry. I clicked on their name and sent them a text. I felt anxious waiting for them to respond back. I placed my phone down on the counter and a few minutes later it started to vibrate. I picked up my phone and felt the corners of my face starting to form upward.

"Hey Taeyeon!" the text read.

I responded back. “Tiffany! I miss you already."

"I miss you too Taeyeon. Thank you for being such an amazing friend to me. I don’t usually breakdown like that in front of anyone."

"Aww, I feel special."

"You should feel special, because you are."

My pulse started to speed up very quickly at the sincerity of the text. “She’s so full of it." I laughed.

"And you tell me I’m cheesy!" I sent her.

"We both have our moments."

"Yeah, that’s true. Oh! You won’t believe what happened to me today as soon as I got home."

"What happened? Did you get in trouble?"

"Bingo. The school called my parents and now I have to serve detention for a week."

"I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to get you into trouble."

"Don’t sweat it Tiffany. A week of detention isn’t that bad. I got to spend a fun day with you so it’s all good."

My face started to warm up when I sent her that text. I was really happy that I accomplished becoming better friends with her. My phone vibrated again and my chest felt excessively heavy as I read her response.

"I should be the one serving the detention. Not you. It’s my fault. I dragged you into this mess and I should take full responsibility for it."

I was touched by her maturity. I replied back: “Hey! It’s okay, let me just serve the detention. It won’t go on my permanent record so it’s all good."

"You’re so stubborn you know that? Haha. I’m serving detention with you and that’s final. No if(s), and(s), or but(s)."

I laughed at her text. “I’m stubborn? Look who’s talking."

"Whatever. Tomorrow. Detention. Be there or be square."

"What’s happens if I don’t go?" I challenged.

"Then I won’t be friends with you anymore... Kidding! But really, we have to serve detention."

Shocked at her message I replied, “You’ll put our friendship on the line if I don’t go to detention?"

"I was kidding! But, it’s your call."

“Aren’t we partners in crime?" 

"That all depends if you’re going to detention. So it’s your call."

I looked at the text she sent me and tried to come up with a witty comeback. After a few tries and backspaces later I gave up and responded normally, defeated at my own game.

"Ah, fine. You win. See you in detention you delinquent!"

"Shut up and go to bed."

"You’re so mean Fany!" I laughed at the nickname I gave her.

"What did you call me?"

"Fany! What? You don't like it?"

"No! I do like it. I should give you a nickname too, but I can't think of one."

After moments of thinking, the perfect name popped up into my head. "I have it! I know what you can call me Fany."

"What is it then so I can change it in my phone?"

"Call me Taengoo!"

"Do I have too? Do you think I can handle nine of you? I can barely take care of one!"

"Ah Fany! You're so mean!"

"Whatever, you still love me. Well good night Taengoo! See you tomorrow."

"How did you know I love you? Kidding, kidding. See you tomorrow. Love you! Goodnight!"

I closed my phone shut, changed into my pajamas, washed up, and then crashed on to my bed. I stared at the patterns on my ceiling as I reflected on the day. “Tiffany, you’re so interesting." I chuckled. “I’m really glad that we became closer friends." I let out a long yawn as I proceeded to close my eyes.

As I drifted into slumber, thoughts of our interactions flashed before me: The first time we met where I comforted her, our playful affection towards each other at the Water Front, the hilarious ride home, the excitement we both felt knowing that we shared some classes and lunch together, and the pivotal moment that solidified our friendship.

Reminiscing all these moments at once started to overwhelm me. It made me think that Tiffany and I were a bit too intimate as friends. Aren't best friends like this though? I convinced myself that we acted this way was because that we were comfortable with each other.

I inhaled and exhaled deeply, trying to sort all my emotions out. I tossed and turned in my bed, my mind referring back to the athletic built, brunette girl. Automatically, my cheeks flushed in embarrassment, and without my knowing, my body brought my hand to my mouth. The sensation evoked the feeling of Tiffany’s gentle cheek meeting my lips.

"Ah, that’s right… I kissed her." I smiled.

I don’t know what compelled me to engage in such intimate contact, but at the moment I felt like it was just right. Somewhere in my heart, I needed to show her how much I cared about her and the only way I could act upon my feelings was by kissing her on the cheek.

"I kissed her." I recited the phrase once again, like a soothing lyric that melodically brought life into a song.

I could feel my heart aching through my chest, but this time the feeling was different from before. It was foreign to me. I grabbed my chest, noticing that my breathing was unstable. Suddenly, I felt the sudden change in temperature so I removed some blankets to cool myself down, but to no avail. It felt like my body was having in an internal war within itself and the only thing I could do was spectate the battle.

I shot myself out of my bed, running my hands through my hair, hoping to find inner peace within myself. Why was my body acting this way? Friends kiss each other all the time, especially girls so why was I freaking out about this? It’s just a kiss on the cheek. Frustrated at my emotions, I tried shrugged them off and attempted to relax my body into a deep sleep, preparing myself for the first day of detention with a certain brunette girl.

---

"All right students! Welcome to detention." the teacher yelled in distress as he paced back and forth. “All of you brats have one thing in common. Do you all know what it is?"

The other kids, Tiffany, and I shook our heads in response. “Well," he continued, “you all did something idiotic and repulsive and you all have to make up for your mistakes." He snorted up his phlegm and expelled it into the garbage.

"Gross." I cringed.

"Now I have to use my precious time to watch over you good-for-nothing ankle biters." The man annoyingly sighed as he massaged his temples.

As I paid my full attention to the teacher I felt someone nudge my shoulder. I looked over to see that it was Tiffany trying to play around with me and lighten the mood. I playfully shoved her back and we both chuckled silently in response. Without warning, the teacher hit the wall creating an ear-spitting noise that snapped us out of our trance.

"Hey! You two bozos. Pay attention." The irritated man yelled. “All right, I’m going to pair you all up into groups of two and assign you a job that you’ll do for a week. Do I make myself clear?

"Yes sir." The class responded.

"Okay, now group number one is…"

While he listed off the pairs I gazed over to the athletic girl, who was crossing her fingers and scrunching up her face. “What are you doing?" I snickered at her stance. “You look constipated." She opened her eyes and punched me in the shoulder.  “Ow." I said as I cradled it. “It was just a question…"

"Well here’s an answer." She said cheerfully. “I hope that we become partners for the week."

"That would be awesome!" I happily agreed. We both looked over to the teacher and waited anxiously for his consensus.

"Group Seven is Tiffany and…" He started.

"Taeyeon." I wished quietly, my fingers crossed. “Say Taeyeon!"

"Sunny." The teacher finished.

I was taken aback. "Wait a minute." I whispered to Tiffany.

"What is it?" The brunette whispered back,

"Why the hell does Sunny have detention?" I wondered. "She doesn't seem like the type to get detention."

Tiffany shrugged her shoulders. “Don't let the image fool you Taeyeon. I’m not looking forward to be partners with her for a week."

Tiffany and I looked at each other in disappointment. My heart started to wrench up. I wanted to be paired up with the brunette girl. We were going to do detention together. I flashed the teacher a displeasing look, releasing my rage upon him through my eyes.

"Rules are rules, you brat." He hacked at me. I was shocked that he didn’t flinch at my stare. I jerked my head at him while Tiffany grabbed my shoulders and pulled me back.

"It’s okay Taeyeon." She sighed sadly. “It’s only for a week right? We’ll be fine."

I sulked to myself as I heard the teacher call out the next group. “Okay, now for the last two groups. Group Eight, Minho and Luna, and finally for Group Nine… Taeyeon and Wooyoung."

"Wooyoung?" I asked aloud. “Who the hell is Wooyoung?"

"Right here." Said a voice behind me.

I turned by body around to see a fairly tall, well built, milky-faced, puppy-eyed, black-haired male hovering over me. I took a step back, in shock of the person before me. He flashed an awkward smile at me and I responded back skeptically. I have to work with him for a week? I took a deep breath. Just for one week Taeyeon. You can do this.

"All right you impudent little punks, you know what your jobs are." The teacher yelled as he headed over to his desk. “Now leave and come back in two hours! If you don’t come back in that time frame you urchins are going to serve another week of detention! Scram!"

All the pairs left the room and attended to their jobs. I looked over to Tiffany, heartbroken at the situation. She sadly smiled at me as she left with Sunny to do their task. I turned my gaze over to the guy before me and he gave me his strange half-smile. My face became sour at his expression. He noticed my irritation and stepped back to give me some space.

"So," he awkwardly said, “we should get to work before our two hours are up."

"No ." I coldly stated. “Let’s go." I walked out of the room while Wooyoung followed me like a lost puppy.

"Do you even know what we’re doing and where we’re going?" he asked, his tone annoyed.

"No." I angrily sighed. “I wasn’t listening to the teacher."

Wooyoung ran his hand through his hair. “Well if you were listening, we have to clean up the softball field for a week."

I huffed at him. “Then let’s go." I turned my heel and stomped towards our destination.

"Taeyeon," he said as he clasped my arm in to his sweaty palm. “Wait up."

I forcibly shook him off of my body. “Don’t touch me. I didn’t say you could."

Wooyoung flashed me scornful look. “What’s your god damn problem Taeyeon?"

"Nothing!" I lied. “I’m just not too feeling well."

"That’s a lame excuse." The puppy-eyed boy scoffed at me. I looked him dead in the eyes and he flinched in retaliation.

I smirked. Looks like I still got it.

"L-look, I’m sorry that you didn’t get paired up with your friend… Umm, Stephanie is that her name?" he said hesitantly.

"Tiffany." I corrected him.

"Right, Tiffany. Look it that you guys didn’t get to partner up, but you’re my partner now and we have a job to do." He stuck out his hand, waiting for my own. “Can we just start over and just get past this week together? I don’t want to be here as much as you don’t so let’s get it done and over with okay?"

As I thought it over, I sighed in defeat while grabbing his hand and shaking it halfheartedly. “Fine. You’re not that bad I guess."

He smiled at my comment. I rolled my eyes and I rubbed my own temples. I looked over to him and he looked back anticipating my next move. I sighed and realized that I owe him an apology. “I’m sorry about how I acted." I started off. He listened attentively. “Look, I had no right to treat you that way. I’m just upset that I wasn’t paired up with Tiffany."

"It’s okay. It’s understandable." Wooyoung smirked. “I got kind of pissed off too when I didn’t get to be partnered with my friend.

"Really?" I asked. “Who’s the friend?"

"Sunny." He smiled. “Hey, since we aren’t paired with our buddies maybe we can get to know each other and become friends?"

I half-smiled at him. “Yeah, but no funny business okay? We’re just partners and friends. Nothing more, nothing less."

The black-haired kid nodded his head, agreeing to my terms. We exited the school and headed towards the softball fields. As we arrived we separated into different areas and started to clean things up. Thoughts of the brunette girl seeped into my mind while I was working. My heart warmed up at the thought of Tiffany, but knowing that she was with Sunny made me feel uneasy. I was genuinely worried for her wellbeing…

And her sanity.

I wondered how Tiffany is doing. I hoped that Sunny wasn't giving her a hard time. Knowing how weird she is, I hope she doesn’t cause a lot of trouble for her... I hope.

Tiffany’s POV

"Sunny!" I hollered angrily." Stop what you’re doing! Stop messing around! We have to get this done!"

"Aw, Tiffany," she pouted. “You’re no fun. You can work and still have fun you know."

I raised my hand to rub the frustration out of my temples. “Can you focus here? We only have two hours to do our job today."

"We have a whole week to do it though, and for your information I am doing my job!" the short girl challenged. “It seems like you’re the one that doesn’t want to pay attention here. You’re not even doing anything!"

I was appalled at her comment. “You know you’re not making a great first impression." I huffed as I crossed my arms in front of my chest.

"I don’t give a damn about making a good first impression for you." she scoffed. “You and I have to work together whether you like it or not. So get busy and do something productive instead of nagging at me."

I confronted her and grabbed the collar of her shirt. “You know, I’m not in good mood today so I suggest you obediently listen to me."

Sunny sneered at me. “You’re not the boss of me Tiffany. Now please let me go."

"I will, eventually." I smirked at her. As she struggled in my grasp an idea popped into my head. Maybe Sunny can be of use to me. 

"Let go!" she said as she bashed my arm.

"Oh, I’ll let you go… But on one condition." I commenced my plan.

Sunny stared at me suspiciously. “What is it?"

"You have to keep an eye on Wooyoung for me." I suggested.

She scoffed at me. “Why can’t you watch him yourself?" She questioned me with a bewildered look on her face. “I’m not your watch dog."

I had to come up with a lie and fast to hide the real reason behind my request. “Well, Wooyoung’s had this huge crush on me for a while now and he’s been trying to get with me since the beginning of school.” I spouted.

She looked at me in confusion. “Wooyoung? Liking you?” The height challenged girl huffed. “I can never see him liking a girl like you. You’re not his ideal type. I can see him being totally into Taeyeon though.”

“That’s where you’re wrong.” I disagreed with her. “You may not know Wooyoung as well as you think you do Sunny. He’s the type of guy that plays it cool and pretends to like another girl after the girl he likes rejects him, when in actuality, he still likes her."

"Really now?" Sunny asked.

"Do you want to know who the girl was that rejected him?” I tried to tempt her to believe in my story a bit more.

She nodded her head.

“I did.” I proudly said as I took my hand and pointed to myself.

Her eyes widened at my response. “No way.” Her jaw dropped.

She took the bait. At least I hope she did.

I flashed my trademark eye smile. “You better believe it. From then on, he always told me and everybody else that I was his least favorite person. Also, when we had to pick teams for school sports he’d never pick me even though I was honestly the best person to have on a team.”

“All right.” She said, glaring skeptically at me.

I panicked. She’s still not buying it. I guess she didn’t take the bait. She’s smart this Sunny. To get her to fully trust me I had to play that card. “You’re friends with Taeyeon right?”

“Yeah. What about it?” she said.

This was the kicker. “Look, I’m afraid that Wooyoung will use Taeyeon to make me jealous and I don’t want that. I don’t want her heart to be played around like that by a stupid boy because of me.”

She turned her gaze to the ground, contemplating her choices. After a long time pondering she spoke. “If I was in your position I would anything to help my friend avoid that kind of drama.”

I nodded in agreement. “So will you help me?” I begged through my teeth.

"Yeah I guess." Sunny raised her eyebrow at me. I looked over to her face and saw a mischievous look in her eyes. “Sure.” She smiled deviously. “I’ll watch your girlfriend for you."

I loosened my grip from her shirt and stared at her in shock. I could feel my whole face turning red, my cheeks flushed with embarrassment. “S-she’s not my g-girlfriend…" I stuttered, trying to conceal my face.

Sunny flashed me a smirk. “You make it sound like you guys are the way you care for her and stuff.  You’re trying to tell me bad things about the guy and how he’s going to use her to get at you, ha! That’s priceless.”

She started to laugh at me. I averted my gaze from her, trying to avoid her teasing. As she ceased her laughter I could feel her stare creeping up on my back. I flinched as a response. Sunny noticed this and huffed at my actions. “Geez, Tiffany, lighten up. I was only kidding." She walked up to me and placed her hand on my shoulder, attempting to comfort me. “Can’t you take a joke?"

"My feelings aren’t a joke!" I shouted as I thrashed my arms around, pushing Sunny off my body. The short girl became silent as I realized what I just confessed.

Sunny fixed her clothes while a feeling of shame consumed me. What did I just do? God, I’m going insane.

Suddenly, I felt Sunny wrap her arms around me. This embrace was very different from Taeyeon’s who made my heart race and caused goose bumps to form on my skin. Her hug assured me that things were going to be okay and that I could trust her in the near future. During the physical contact we shared I noticed that this girl was surprisingly warm… Too warm… Like a teddy bear.

"Look I’m sorry." Sunny quietly said, interrupting my thoughts.

I pulled away from her and stared at her in a daze. “What are you apologizing for?"

"I didn’t mean to tease you about Taeyeon being your girlfriend."  She chuckled to herself and scratched the back of her head. “You guys must be really close friends to act the way you do around each other."

I scoffed at her. “Oh you have no idea." I audibly muttered to myself.

"What was that?" Sunny questioned.

"Nothing Sunny." I said, completely and utterly flustered. I reached into my pocket at pulled out my phone to check the time. “Ah… We still have an hour and forty-five minutes left…" I groaned.

"So do you still want me to keep an eye on Wooyoung?" The teddy bear-like girl wondered.

"You don’t have to, but I would like for you to." I said, with a hint of desperation in my voice.

“Well, I’m willing to do it. “ She stated.

My dull expressions became brighter at the words I heard from Sunny. “You are?” I shouted.

She nodded her head. “Yeah I’ll keep an eye on him, even though I know Wooyoung wouldn’t do such a thing. But, I’ll watch him only because Taeyeon means so much to you.”

A smiled started to take over my face. She's not so bad after all.

“You know, Taeyeon’s lucky to have a friend like you. It’s rare meeting people who would out of their way to protect the ones they hold so dear to them.” Sunny declared. She looked in my direction and presented a warm, friendly, teddy bear-like expression towards me. “You know Tiffany, you’re not that bad after all. I misjudged you."

I chuckled in response. “I misjudged you as well Sunny. You’re not that bad yourself."

The short girl’s face lit up. “Would you like to be friends with me then?” Sunny asked excitedly.

I sent her a sweet smile and responded, “Yes, I would love to be your friend.”