The Getaway

I Won't Say I'm In Love

Tiffany’s POV

A full week passed by and Taeyeon and I continued our routine of exchanging greetings and friendly expressions. As she walked by me in the hallway I took the chance to engage into physical contact, but the mob of rushed teenagers prevented me from getting close to her. I exhaled a sigh of disappointment and commenced to walk to my next class.

As took my seat, I heard the teacher say that we were taking a test today. I placed my head on the table and groaned in frustration. I wasn't sure if I was angry at the test we were taking today or my failed attempts of becoming closer with Taeyeon. Either way, I was extremely irritated and it continued throughout the rest of the day till I headed home to crash on my bed.

Thoughts about the petite girl surged through my brain. It kept me awake and caused my chest to feel awfully heavy. I got up from my bed and walked over to my desk in hopes to shake these feelings off of me. I took out my stack of homework and attempted to do it, but I started to feel lethargic. “I don’t want to this crap…" I sighed as I threw the pencil away and started to massage my temples.

"Taeyeon…" I bitterly expressed. “Why are you so difficult? Is it this hard to be friends with you?"

I set my head on the desk and closed my eyes, waiting for the next day to come by and continue my daily routine with the brunette-blonde girl.

Taeyeon’s POV

Time has passed since Tiffany and I hung out last, and in all honestly I missed her company. She was different from all the friends I usually spend my time with. The brunette girl was more kind and thoughtful then most of them. I know that I shouldn’t be comparing my friends against one another, but there was something about Tiffany that made her stand out from the rest.

The school bell rang, which meant that class was over. I got out of my seat and exited the Chemistry class and headed over to the English room. The path to my next class wasn’t very long, but the mass of people became an obstacle and that caused me to be late. As I arrived into the class the teacher noticed my tardiness. I noticed that a few others were late as well. “Thank god I’m not the only one." I uttered silently.

The foreign English teacher smiled at us and said a thick American accent, “Thank you for joining us. Take a seat everyone." The late students scattered to their seats while I was still looking for one. The teacher began her lessons as I stood awkwardly in the corner.

"Miss Davidson," I interrupted her.

"Yes Taeyeon?" she responded.

"I can’t find a seat. They’re all taken." I whined.

The teacher ran her hand through her hair. “Well then, I guess you ha-"

"Taeyeon can sit by me Miss Davidson." someone interjected. I looked at the person raising their hand. I recognized their voice and I immediately smiled.

"Thank you Tiffany." The teacher said as she turned around to face the whiteboard. “Now class let us continue with our lesson."

I happily walked over to Tiffany’s table and sat in the seat next to her. “Someone’s happy." the brunette laughed.

Amused, I told her, “I’m very happy. I didn’t know you had this class Tiffany!"

"I didn’t know either." she stated. “When did you start taking English?"

"Since the beginning of the year." I told her. “Why?"

The brunette stared at me in shock. “Um, so are you telling me that we have been in the same class for two months and we just noticed it now?

My eyes widened out of its sockets. I was dumbfounded by this sudden realization. “I guess so." I sheepishly replied.

Tiffany huffed as she slouched into her chair, crossing her arms in disbelief. “Wow." she uttered. “What other classes do you have?"

"Um, after this I have Advanced Choir, World Studies, and Math." I listed.

"You have World Studies fifth period?" The athletic girl looked at me with excitement. I nodded my head in response. I saw a smile start to creep on her face. “I have that class too." she gladly stated.

"That’s awesome!" I shouted, causing attention to myself. The teacher turned around, placed her hands on her hips, and gave me an annoyed face. “I’m sorry, I’ll talk quieter." I apologized and felt my face flush with embarrassment. I heard Tiffany laugh silently to herself. I raised my fist and lightly punched her in the arm. “It’s not funny." I pouted.

Tiffany brought her hands to her eyes to wipe away the tears. “You’re too cute Taeyeon." she said through her laughter. She placed her hand on my head and rustled my hair around. My body suddenly warmed up at her playfulness.

"Do you have first or second lunch?" I hesitantly asked. I crossed my fingers, hoping that she would choose the latter.

"I have second lunch." Tiffany replied. “Do you have second lunch too?"

I nodded my head in excitement and my eyes beamed with happiness. "Yes!" I exclaimed. "I’m so glad we have the same lunch period."

As I got caught up in my thoughts, I heard the brunette girl giggling to herself again. I turned to face her and gently punched her in the arm again. “It’s not funny." I sulked, trying to get her attention. She continued her laughing fits throughout the whole period which caused me to focus more on her instead of the lesson. I shrugged it off, because I’d rather be focused on Tiffany and build our friendship, then learn what the teacher is lecturing us right now. Tiffany was more interesting anyway then this stupid lesson.

The bell rang, signaling us that class was over. The students got up from their seats and gathered their things before leaving. As I started to collect my supplies to put into my bag I heard the crash of materials scatter to the ground. I turned head to the source of the sound and saw Tiffany picking up her things while a large, intimidating, athletic male hovered over her.

"Sorry Tiffany." he said mockingly. I could hear the tone of hate in his voice.

My brow furrowed in outrage at his sharp tongue. Who was this douchebag?

He continued his attack on the brunette girl. “Watch where you’re going next time. ."

I heard him whisper the last part before he walked away, joining his posse and laughing with them. What the just happened? I shook my head in disbelief. "What a ," I hatefully whispered as I clenched my fist very tightly; suppressing the sudden anger I felt when that boy terrorized Tiffany. My heart started to beat against my chest and my short breaths became long and drawn out. I knew that I needed to let off some steam, but I quickly relaxed when I saw the brunette girl sobbing to herself as she tried to gather her belongings.

My heart broke watching her cry like that. I knelt down to her level and started to pick up her things. She ceased her crying and mouthed, “Thank you." to me. I gave her a weak smile, feeling a blanket of shared sadness developing over both of us.

As she finished putting all her things in her bag she pulled her phone out of her pocket and stared the screen. Then she looked at the school clock, then back at her phone, and finally placed her gaze on me. My face immediately turned sour because of her red, puffy eyes and the trail of sorrow that the tears left on her face. “Beautiful girls shouldn’t cry." I said as I walked up to her to give her a hug. She enveloped her arms around me and cried on to my body. “Crying doesn’t suit you Tiffany." I weakly laughed to lighten the atmosphere. “So please stop. I don’t like seeing my friends sad. Especially you."

She pulled away from my embrace and chuckled with escaped sobs at my comment. “Thanks Taeyeon." she sniffed through her tears. “Ah, I hate crying. It’s a waste of time and energy."

"Like I said, it doesn’t suit you." I smirked.

"Yeah, I guess so." she said.

A familiar silence embraced us again. I was getting used to these quiet moments that Tiffany and I shared. They were calm and peaceful. 

"Taeyeon," the athletic girl broke the silence.

I faced my body towards her and confusingly said, “Yes Tiffany?"

The brunette girl swayed her head in all directions. It seemed like she was hesitant to say something. “What is it Tiffany?" I coaxed her. “You can ask me anything."

"Well," she started. “Umm…"

"Well what?" I tried to get the question out of her. “Spit it out!"

"Would you like to skip school with me for the rest of the day?" she stared at me, sending a serious glare in my direction.

I looked at her amazement. “What?" I questioned while feeling a smile forming on my face.

She grabbed my wrists, pulled me out of the classroom, and dragged me out to the student parking lot. Anxiety consumed my body at the thought of skipping class, and it only increased knowing that I was ditching school with Tiffany. As we approached the car, she opened the door and helped me get into the familiar truck. I got myself situated as she got in, fastened her seatbelt, and turned the engine on.

"Where to?" I looked over to her in vigor.

A smile started to carve on her face. “I know the perfect place." she proudly smirked as she looked over to me. I reciprocated her gestures and prepared myself for the journey ahead of us.

"What are we waiting for?" I hollered. “Let’s go!"

The brunette girl chuckled at me, flashing her trademark eye smile. My cheeks started to warm up at her actions. Tiffany turned away from our gaze and faced forward. Adrenaline started to stimulate my whole body as my heart pounded against my chest. So many thoughts raced through my mind, but somehow it all ceased to matter. I didn't think twice about what we were doing. As long I was with Tiffany I felt like anything was possible.

As long as I had Tiffany by my side, I felt safe.