-31-

Something Beautiful

            A month passed and earlier in the week, Hana’s doctor had called up Jungkook to tell him joyous news. Over the night, Hana had regained consciousness; the first things she asked for was ice cream, and of course, Jungkook oppa. You had been visiting frequently and shared little stories of what had taken place over the course of a month and a half to the child of eight years. Though, you never talked about her cancer in general or even her coma, you knew it would frighten her. Fright also dwelled in your body as well.

Every time you saw Jongup in the halls he would give you a nodding look towards Zelo. In the end, your initial reaction would always be a lip bit and a slight head nodding ‘no’. It wasn’t like you wanted to hide this specific secret and/or even from your best friend of how many years, it’s just his reaction might change everything.

But was that what you were most afraid of, Change?

That’s the only thing that has been happening these past couple months.

 

:::::

“… And then Pororo fell and slipped off of the ice, Haeun unnie!” Hana told you whole heartedly. She has just watched an episode of Pororo and so it is said that it was her favorite one so far.

You smiled and nodded at the innocent child as she told you more and more and every passing minute you had to resist the urge to hold her tightly or pinch her cheeks; she was still a little weak, “Hana?”

“Then Pororo--yes?”

“I’m so sorry, but I have to leave soon, I have to go study with Jungkook now. He said for me not to skip out again.”

“Like last time?” Hana smiled cheekily.

You nodded with a beam, “Yeah, like last time.”

“Okay, well, just tell oppa that he needs to come visit soon, you know I haven’t seen him in a day.”

“Araso, rest well, okay? I’ll come back soon!” You kissed her cheek gingerly. Grabbing your belongings, you waved one more goodbye and shut the door.

 

            The clock on the watch read 4:30 pm, where could Jungkook be? You thought to yourself and within a matter of minutes your phone vibrated, “Jungkook?”

“Haeun! I’m sorry I was kinda doing last minute practices with the hyungs, hadn’t had a battle at the rap station for a long time, you know?”

You hummed, “Mhm, it’s fine, I’m at a coffee shop right now, you know the one by the mall?”

“The one where we drank hot chocolate and read books?”

“Bingo, Sherlock.”

You heard him snort on the other line, “Okay then, see in 20?”

“Sure.” 

The line went dead; shoving your phone into the pit of your pocket you march over to the farthest table away from civilization on set your things down.

It was just walls, books, and the smell coffee surrounding you encased over your senses.

 

::::::

 

Six books stacked tall were sitting in between you and Jungkook all for a stupid test.

“Aish, I hate studying!” Jungkook whined as he put his face into the library book, “School is so boring!”

You laughed and ruffled his hair, “Kook, these past couple of weeks, you have been fine, just make it through two more months and boom, summer is here!”

He lifted his head from his book, and leaned over the table to pinch your cheek, “Aigoo, Haeun, you always try to motivate me… it never works.”

“Well then,” You pouted and looked down into your book, “I guess someone takes my tutoring sessions for granted. You know that if you fail this quarter you are going to have to take summer lessons?”

He pouted, “You may not know how to motivate me, but you sure do know how to frustrate me.”

“I try, I try.”

            The studying session went by ever so quickly and within what felt like 2 minutes, it became two hours. The sun had passed the horizon not too long ago and the two of you knew it was time to head back. It was Friday tomorrow and you also needed rest to do well so gathering your materials, you and Jungkook thanked the workers at the café/library and walked home.

Jungkook’s arm was draped over your shoulders like an accessory. As the two of you walked down the dimly lit pathways, Jungkook would sing some lines from some of his favorite artists. Ever since the morning he greeted you with a loving performance and breakfast, his singing and rapping skills have grown vastly. Not to mention he is growing out of his comfort zone; his public display of affection has increased, making his so- to-say ‘man pride’ in his romance life swell up.

Of course, the awkward topic of ual was way out reach. The two of you have discussed it before and due to certain promises each of you had made before it was to be done only after marriage.

Of course, marriage was also a very far out topic, but it was do-able.

 Jungkook leaned down and kissed the top of your head, “I like this. Long night strolls back home, just the two of us. It’s relaxing.” You shook your head and smiled inwardly. He seemed to be in a happy mood; but now was not the time to discuss the matter of your aunt’s spontaneous visit, “Yah,” He pushed you out from under arm; you stumbled and looked at him curiously, “Why are you so quiet. These past couple of weeks you have been kind of out of it.” You remained quiet and kept a steady pace. You looked at him out of his silence and it looked like a ton of bricks hit him, “Is it me?”

“What? No” You shake your head and reassure him, “No! Jungkook, why would you think that?”

He scratched the back of his neck, “You seem so uninterested in me.”

“Oh please, don’t be such a drama queen.” You roll your eyes and peer at his sulking face. You turned to him, grabbed his face and gave him warm, loving kiss that made this specific boy shine brightly, “You still think I’m uninterested?”

“I’m not sure, I need to check again.” He puckers his lips and waits; only to be smacked in the cheek, “Too soon?”

“Keep dreaming, lover boy.” You scrunch up your nose and turn around exhaling. You bit your lip. It keeping a secret this big from the boy of your dreams. But maybe, just maybe, if you waited to tell you, time might be on your side.

Best of luck.

 

::::::::

 

“That test was so E-A-S-Y!” Zelo spelt out as the three of you exited the class to go to lunch.

“Yeah, I studied with you for 3 hours and half of the material we reviewed wasn’t even on the test.” Jungkook nudged you as you gripped your books tighter.

Pretending to hit him you raise your fist, “Yah! As if I knew what was going to be on that booty of a test.”

You hear your best friend snicker, “Ha, Booty.”

This time, you actually raised your fist and hit someone in the arm. The only thing that was heard after that was a wince.

 

:::::::

 

After school you went home alone because Jungkook had to go to the hospital. He needed to discuss some matters with the doctors on Hana’s health and he just wanted to see her in general.

As you arrived onto your street the mail man had just recently left your house. You curiously walked faster, “That’s odd, the mail man never comes here… The paper works all get sent to Imo.”

Opening the mailbox a thick, yellow envelope was rolled up. Taking it inside your house, you ripped it open with a filer.

It read:

“To Hwa Haeun,

The details on your stay have been enclosed and you will be moving to America. I have told you once that you need to make a decision. I don’t have time for your childish games. Pack your things soon. You will leave before the next school year starts.

Signed,

Imo”

You rolled your eyes and threw the letter on the kitchen counter as you rubbed your face. Your thoughts were not childish. You scoffed, “Huh, She knows nothing about me at all.”

After an hour of lying around eating what you had got from the convenience store two blocks down, the doorbell rang. It was opened and the rustle of shoes was heard, “Who’s there?”

“Who do you think?”

“Ugh, Junhong, you could have called first, I look like a slob.”

“When do you not?”

“Do you really what a reenactment of earlier today?” You whip your head to face him with a smile, but it immediately dropped.

The moment you dreaded the most has come and obviously, time was not on your side.

You ran up to him and grabbed the sheet of paper away, “Don’t.”

He grabbed it back from you and reread it, “America? Hae, when did this… how… Are you serious?”

You looked away, “I’m not going. So don’t be mad.”

“Haeun that is exactly the reason I’m mad.” He told you sternly, “You have a chance to leave, to make things of yourself in America. Here, it’s just us.”

“That’s why I like it here! Because I’m comfortable, because I know people; because I’m happy!” You burst, “Don’t you know how long I’ve waited to be this happy?”

“You’re ridiculous,” Zelo laughed coldly in your face and turned to leave but before he did he spoke, “You don’t know how much some people want to get away from this place.”

 

:::::::

 

Swoop Swoop Swoop.

Howdy.

It’s my spring break now and it’s finally starting to warm up here in the windy city. I’m so sorry that I haven’t updated in a loonggggg time. I’ve had practice for church and family bonding times and hang outs and ughhhhh. My spring break will even be busy. Tomorrow I’m going to Wisconsin Dells for 3 days and when I get back on Thursday I have to hang out with my best friend and then on Friday I go to youth group for church and on Saturday is bible study and on Sunday Church.

Going to sleep,

Barely-finished.

you don't know how bad i want this magazine. (-.-)