-2-

Something Beautiful

“Oh thank goodness,” you dropped your arms exasperatedly as Ms. Cho told you that you could retreat back to your seat. You grabbed your things and sat next to your best friend. You opened your notebook and wrote all the notes down as fast as you could in the remaining time before the class ended. Just as you were furiously writing, your pencil broke. Though, before you could complain, Zelo held his pencil out. You looked at him confusedly, “Don’t you need to finish your notes?”

“Nah, I am fast at writing remember?” You skeptically looked at his page and it didn’t seem quite finished but you took his word any way and continued to write.

The bell rang indicating that class had ended. It was now lunch and you knew exactly where to spend it. You and Zelo went to your lockers to drop off your things. You were the only one who really brought a homemade lunch and since Zelo didn’t fancy school food, he always picked off of your plate. Yet, today Zelo couldn’t join you for lunch because he had to stay after class.

 You were left with your own thoughts as you walked to the abandoned stairwell. When you and Zelo noticed that due to recent discoveries in short cuts; no one ever used this stairwell again, you thought it was really a perfect place to escape the levels of society packed into one school. You opened the door to the stairwell and suddenly felt the aroma of emptiness, just how you liked it.  You walked underneath the stair case and placed yourself on your favorite ledge. You opened your lunch box observed what you had prepared earlier that evening it was rice, bulgogi, and four pieces of kimbap.

You stared at the four pieces of kimbap wondering, Junhong’s food can’t be wasted, but, I don’t want to be too stuffed for gym or else my stomach would hurt. You were weighing the pros and cons when someone spoke.

“Aish, seriously eat already.” You jolted at the sudden unrecognized voice. You looked around and behind you, peeking through the gaps in between the steps was no other than the king of sass, Jungkook, “I’m hungry and you are just staring at your food like you don’t even want it.” You blinked at him and watched as he looked around. Moments later you saw him pull a stool, dragging it right across from you.

You didn’t need him here, nor did you want him here, “Get out.”

“I want that one.” He pointed to the rolls of kimbap in your lunch box.

You looked at him in annoyance, “No, and I said get out.”

“Well, I said I wanted that one.”

“You are such a child.” You grabbed your spoon and started to eat, your rice and bulgogi. You looked up and saw that he was staring at your lunchbox, you rolled your eyes.

Jungkook was hypnotized, he hadn’t remembered when he last had kimbap or a homemade meal for that matter. The only thing he could recall was that his mother made it for him when he was younger, but that’s the past and his mother was just another person who took part in it. His deep thought was cut off when he noticed something had touched his lips. He looked at you and saw that you were the one had placed the substance on his lips. Instinctively, he ate the wrap and bit your finger.

You yelped in surprise and then pulled away, glaring at him. He watched with an amused face as you positioned yourself differently so you weren’t directly in front of him and continued to eat. When you weren’t looking, he studied your side profile, just like he had done in class. Only this time he looked closer and noticed that you flip your hair to the opposite direction from which the strand fell, you cross your right leg over your left, you have a serious face on when you eat, and also you occasionally pout when rice falls from your spoon and onto your skirt. Once he caught himself smiling at your incredulous beauty he shook his head wondering why he was acting like so strange.

You checked your peripheral vision as you ate, and once again, he was staring. You continued to look at him until the corners of his mouth started to tug upwards. Then you saw him shake his head and you couldn’t help but giggle. You laughed and he looked like he had just been snapped out of his trance. He furrowed his eyebrows and looked at you, “Why are you laughing?”

You hid your smile with your spoon and shrugged.

He scowled and leaned in, you immediately froze not knowing what he was going to do, “Relax, I’m just getting another kimbap.”

“I didn’t say you could have any more.” But before you could take it away he popped it in his mouth, “Careful now, don’t want a reenactment of what happened last time would we?” You scrunched your face up in frustration after he winked.

You just remembered that you had to study for the upcoming English test and you knew you weren’t going to get the correct concentration if the king of sass was around. You had to hurry to the library and study before the warning bell rang that indicated class was about to start. So, without telling Jungkook where you were going, you packed all of your food in a hurriedly manner and stormed out of the stairwell.

Jungkook watched your every move with the kimbap taste still lingering in his mouth. When he was about to reach for another one, you packed up everything and stormed out of where you were seated, “Y-yah, don’t think I like you any better than I did before because you gave me food!” The door closed and he was sure you were probably going to snitch to your friends about what just happened, I mean he was the mysterious transfer after all. Jungkook was disappointed in himself, he had let his guard down around you so easily, Hwa Haeun. He ruffled his hair, looking around the old stairwell he noticed saw something shining in the sunlight. He picked up what was known as a key, a decorated flower key.

“Pabo,” Jungkook shook his head while smiling and stuffed the key into his pocket. With that, he walked out of the abandoned stairwell and wandered around the school. He stopped mid-point when he heard a beautiful piano melody in the empty library. He poked his head inside and looked around, walking inside he saw you sitting down jotting down notes from your text book while occasionally checking the computer that tuned a melody that was so foreign to him, “I was wrong about you, Hwa Haeun.”  He told himself as he tiptoed in between bookshelves, occasionally grabbing books to disguise himself as if he was actually reading.

He was now right by the book shelf that had been the only thing that separated the two of you. He watched you furrow your eyes while writing and then look back at the book and repeat the process over and over again. Jungkook leaned against the bookshelf a little too hard this time and five books fell during the process which startled you. Jungkook’s eyes widened and thought of what to do next.

You jumped as you heard books fall to the floor; you got up from your seat and walked to the other side of the bookshelf. You peeked around the corner but no one was there. You confusedly looked around, but you didn’t have much time to think, and before you knew it, the bell rang and the lunch break was over. You scurried back to the desk, grabbed your supplies and sprinted out of the library.

Jungkook peaked out from behind the end of the bookshelf and deeply exhaled, thanking the school for ringing the bell. He slyly moved away from where he was hidden and walked out, leaving the mess he made for the librarian to clean.

 

:::::

Hello again my wonderful subscribers!

I just wanted to let you guys see Jungkook in a nicer light because in some comments you told me he was really rude so I just had to let him slip his guard down just a bit. Though, it was for food, yet, it connected to his mother? WHAT.

Any who, did you like this guard down Jungkook or should I make him back to the original?

LOTS OF LOVE,

Barely-finished