~8~

Try to Fall in Love

Seoyeon's head began to spin as Sam knelt down on the ground and pulled out a box from his pocket.

“Seoyeon, I know it's sudden for you, but I've been thinking about it for ages. You have your whole life to live, I have mine, but I think it would be so much better if you were by my side. Seoyeon, will you marry me?”

Seoyeon didn't know what to say. She felt dizzy and confused. So many responses ran through her head in the shortest time but she had no idea what she could actually say. Suddenly Yun's voice ran through her mind, “Think of their feelings first.” She'd known Sam for years; he was one of her closest friends. But was she in love with him? Friend-love, maybe. “Just think, yeah?” Yun's voice was back again. Seoyeon panicked and backed away from Sam.

“I- I think I need some time to think,” she told him shakily.

“Oh that's... That's cool,” Sam said, sounding disappointed. “Do you want me to take you home?”

“It's okay, I'll walk,” Seoyeon shook her head. “I'll talk to you soon.”

 

Seoyeon clutched her head in her hands as she sat on a bench in the park. Only a few people passed her, mostly couples, which made her even more miserable. What was she supposed to do? She was sixteen, she hadn't even left school, and Sam wanted to marry her? She shook her head and stood up. All she could see when she closed her eyes was the look on Sam's face when she hadn't said yes immediately. Of course she loved him, but not... Not enough to marry him. Sighing, Seoyeon began the long walk home.

 

Passing through the town, everything reminded her of Sam. There was a hat in a shop window that Sam would love. One of the cars that drove past her was exactly like Sam's. She rubbed her eyes tiredly, wishing that all this was just a dream. She felt so unbelievably awful about not saying yes straight away, it was painful. It was all she could do to stop herself breaking down in the middle of the street. She walked faster and faster until she was almost running.

 

“Seoyeon?” Mrs Park called as soon as Seoyeon closed the door behind her. Seoyeon darted upstairs before her mother could see the tears streaking down her face.

“Seoyeon, let me in,” Mrs Park knocked on Seoyeon's locked door. “I can't help if you don't let me in.”

Seoyeon reluctantly opened the door. Her mother bustled in and sat them both down on the bed, wiping away Seoyeon's tears.

“I'm sorry I didn't warn you,” Mrs Park said. “Sam said he wanted it to be a surprise.”

“I just... I need time to think,” Seoyeon sighed. “I don't know if this is what I want, or what I think I should want.”

“It's a tough decision, but I know you'll do the right thing.”

Seoyeon's mother stood up and left quietly, Seoyeon still wiping fresh tears from her eyes. Suddenly Seoyeon's phone vibrated from her desk. She leant over to see who'd texted and saw Yun's name lit up on the screen.

Have you seen Sam yet? What happened?

Seoyeon gritted her teeth and quickly tapped the “call” button by Yun's name.

 

“Where were you all week?” Seoyeon hissed. “Teo's not talking to me either. What did you say?”

“I didn't say anything to him!” Yun protested. “I was at home all week. I talked to Sam most of the time.”

“And you didn't think to even text me?”

“I just did, didn't I?”

“That's not what I meant!”

“Say what you mean.”

“Seungyun, will you listen for just one second? My best friend just proposed to me. What am I supposed to do?”

“Say yes, idiot! He loves you more than anything,” Yun told her. “He'd give up his life for you to be happy. And I think that you'd give your life for him. Even if you don't love him romantically, you still love him, right? Say yes.”

Seoyeon was silent for a moment. “Thanks, Yun.”

“I think you need to go and talk to Sam,” Yun said.

“I guess you're right,” Seoyeon sighed. “I'll see you on Monday, right? Why were you off school anyway?”

“I was ill,” Yun said hastily. “Bye, Yeon.”

 

Seoyeon slung her backpack over her shoulder as she stepped out of the car.

“See you,” she waved to her mother in the driver's seat.

“I'll pick you up tomorrow night, okay?”

“Okay.”

Mrs Park pulled away from the kerb and Seoyeon in a breath, calming herself before marching up to Sam's front door.

 

finally i updated!!! uh so

i'm sorry this chapter kind of turned to poop

i actually wrote a different one last week but didn't like it so this was kind of rushed i'm sorry

but thank you for reading i love you all!!!