~16~

Try to Fall in Love

Seoyeon found herself pacing back and forth on a small stretch of beach. What was happening? She was sixteen. She'd almost let herself go all the way with Sam, even though they'd only been engaged for a few weeks. She wasn't even in love with him, yet. Was she? Maybe that feeling she got when she saw him leaning against his car after school was love. Maybe the way she felt when she woke up next to him was love.

 

Seoyeon?”

She heard Sam call her name, and almost responded, before letting herself fall to the floor, not sure what she was feeling any more. Was she falling in love with Sam?

Seoyeon!” Sam rounded a corner and ran towards her, stopping a few metres away when he saw the state she was in.

Sorry,” Seoyeon said quietly, brushing away the tears she didn't realise she'd let out.

Sorry for what? I should be sorry. I'm so sorry for what I did, and I want you to know I wouldn't ever make you do something you're uncomfortable with. I'm sorry, Yeon.”

Seoyeon almost smiled as Sam moved closer and held a hand out to pull her up. She gladly took it and hugged Sam warmly.

Are you okay?” Sam asked.

Yeah. I'm just... thinking,” Seoyeon nodded.

About what?” Sam wondered as they walked back towards the tent.

Just... things,” Seoyeon said.

 

Hey, Yeon, look,” Sam pointed up at the roof of the tent as they lay in the darkness. Seoyeon looked up and gasped at the sight of hundreds of tiny specks of light.

Fireflies,” she said quietly, amazed. She pushed the blanket that was covering her over to the side of the tent and crawled to the entrance, poking her head out. The fireflies illuminated the lake shore and the lake reflected the light they emitted, creating the illusion of another world under the water.

It's so beautiful,” Seoyeon breathed.

It's my favourite thing about coming here. I thought you'd like it,” Sam said from inside the tent.

I love it,” Seoyeon moved back inside the tent and fell into Sam's arms.

I love you,” she whispered, the words coming from nowhere, but finding their way and rolling off her tongue as easily as saying “hello”.

 

Yes, mum. I'll come and see you tomorrow,” Seoyeon sighed as she talked to her mother on the phone on Sunday night. “Can Sam come? No? Why not? Ugh, okay. I'll see you tomorrow- bye, mum.”

Sam looked up from tidying as Seoyeon put the phone down. “You have to go see your parents tomorrow?”

Yup,” Seoyeon nodded. “I did ask if you could come, but...”

Don't worry,” Sam told her. “I'll stay at work and finish off some things.”

Okay,” Seoyeon nodded. “You going to bed soon?”

I'll be up in a minute,” Sam said as he carried on packing the camping things into a box, so it could be put away and found more easily.

 

Seoyeon was almost asleep by the time Sam came upstairs, having had next to no sleep the night before. Even being as quiet as he could, Sam still disturbed Seoyeon, and she turned to make a face at him before closing her eyes and finally drifting off.

 

Hi!” Seoyeon called out as she entered her old home. Her mother came running to see her and gave her a bone-crushing hug, leaving Seoyeon breathless.

I miss you so much, dear! Come on, come on, I'll make you some tea,” Mrs Park bustled through to the kitchen.

I don't like tea, mum,” Seoyeon sighed as she followed, pushing up the sleeves of her blazer.

Roll your sleeves down, they'll crease,” Mrs Park scolded after putting on the kettle. “So, how is it?”

How is what?” Seoyeon opened a cupboard and began searching until she found a bag of crisps.

Living with Sam!”

Oh!” Seoyeon sat down at the table. “It's great. I really like living with him.”

So have you been on a date yet?” Mrs Park sat down opposite her, suddenly acting like a teenage girl.

We went camping on Saturday night,” Seoyeon said with a smile.

Camping? And you didn't tell us?” Mrs Park inquired, her voice rising an octave. “Do you know how dangerous camping can be?”

I- We just-”

His parents said he was sensible when we arranged this all,” Mrs Park muttered, more to herself than Seoyeon.

What? Arranged what?” Seoyeon burst out, confused. Mrs Park clamped a hand over , regretting saying anything.

You arranged our engagement? So... he doesn't really love me?”

 

Seoyeon felt hot tears start to form in her eyes. She pushed her chair back and stood up while Mrs Park tried to make amends.

I didn't mean that! I meant that we, um, pushed him to propose. Yes, that's it. We encouraged him.”

I bet it's all for the business,” Seoyeon pushed her sleeves back up and swept out of the kitchen. Mrs Park, stood, stunned, until she heard the front door slam shut and saw Seoyeon striding up the road, past the window.

 

Seoyeon arrived a long time before Sam would, and ran up the stairs, into the room she was supposed to be using, then slammed the door. She climbed into her bed, still fully clothed, and pulled the covers over her entirely. She wasn't sure how long it was until Sam got home, but she was sure that she cried so long that her eyes began to sting, and her pillow was soaked by tears.

 

Yeon?” Sam knocked on the door.

She's not here!” Seoyeon shouted, still covered by her duvet.

Cutie, are you okay?” Sam asked, sounding concerned.

I said, Seoyeon's not here,” Seoyeon said stubbornly, before hearing Sam open the door and come in.

Go away,” Seoyeon said quietly, as Sam sat on the bed, careful not to sit on her.

What's wrong?” Sam sounded really worried now.

This is,” Seoyeon pulled the covers off her face. “On Saturday I told you I loved you. But that's what's wrong. Do you even love me?”

 


double update oh my goodness i bet you weren't expecting that