t h i r d

Resolving

"That's actually an interesting story, but who is that man who has jailed their parents and burned their house?" Jihyo laid herself in the bed, "A man who has blinded by money..." She mumbles. "It sounds like this story connected to Appa's room poltergeist, but I can't—"

 

"But, why a ghost appeared on Appa's eyes? It almost the same like his swore, he will make that man feel the same.... Is that ghost... is that truly him?" Another question appears again on her, a rational answer come, but she can't believe it a hundred percent. "I have a conclusion, but I don't believe it."

 

She's sighing at her messy thoughts which it becomes so difficult. She hugs her teddy bear tightly, "Hey, Kookie. Can you help me? I'm so stress because of this thing..." — "Everything is irrational, really. Woah, I'm so proud of myself because I can reach this level, but there are no leftover clues again."

 

###

 

Some weeks later,

 

"Can I pick up her today?" Gary comes to the house in an early morning. "We can n—"

 

"Let's go, Kang Gary! I want to go with you!"

 

Jihyo suddenly runs from the stairs to the entrance door. "But, you haven't eaten anything, yet.", "It's easy, mom. I'll eat later." Gary looked at her carefully. Her face is bare without any make-up, but she already prepared anything like she'll have a date. She brings a hand-bag, but... Her teddy bear also joined. "Is it okay to bring that thing?" Her mom points at her teddy bear, "If that thing doesn't see Jihyo, he'll angry!" Gary thrilled about their first meeting.

 

"That's okay, so... Where will you go?"

 

"I will leave it to Jihyo." Gary lend his hand to Jihyo's side like a prince, "Goodbye, Mom!" At the moment she puts her hand, it also the moment when she's pulled by Gary to the car. Both of them entered together. "You are free decide where will we be headed to~"

 

"Do you know downtown?"

 

"If I don't wrong, it has been changed into park.", "Do you lived there?" Gary shook, "I'm not, I lived in Jamshil alone." She only make an 'O' with . "Hey, Kang Gary. Can you help me to put this on the back-seat? I can't reach it." He takes the teddy bear and puts it on the back-seat, "Is this okay?" He placed it exactly like sitting down. "Is that fine?"

 

"Why you ask me back?"

 

"I'm asking him." Jihyo points to her teddy bear. "He won't answer."

 

"Do you want to answer it, Kookie?"

 

Out of sudden, her teddy bear nods.

 

"What happened...." Gary only can silent in confuse. Everything become surprising when he come closer to Jihyo. "Jihyo, is he really close to us, now? He emphasises his word at 'now', He believes a hundred percent that he's around them. "Try to focus at that rear mirror." Gary sees the rear mirror and starts the car at the same time. "I only see... Wait..."

 

It appears again.

 

A mysterious hand which touches that teddy bear's hand appears.

 

"Who is that?" The moment Gary asks that, Jihyo notices that the guy next to her is trembling. She can't help but laugh. "Why you're laughing? Isn't that scary?"

 

"Kang Gary, this is a secret between us. Promise me you will protect it." She shows her pinkie finger, "Of course." And Gary replies it. "You should silent or I'll make your regret to know me." He makes a 'zipper' in front of his mouth, shows that he'll close his mouth. "Before that, isn't it better to go first?" — "Oh yeah, I'll listen while driving." And that how they start their long day out...

 

###

 

"Tell me, Jihyo-ya. I'm curious why you don't afraid with that ghost." Jihyo looks the back-seat and she reads what Jongkook said silently, 'Tell him. He's quite naïve and trustworthy.' She nods. "It's quite simple actually. He's my new friend and he is quite friendly. He did all of that thing so you don't act wildly in front of me."

 

"Who is he? Did I know him?"

 

"I can't tell his name. He doesn't want it and I'm surely you won't know him."

 

"Where is he, Jihyo-ya?" Gary sneaks some time to look at the back-seat. All things that he could see is only that teddy bear. It's so frustrating, "He's sitting next to my teddy bear, which is closer to my seat." Jihyo naughtily smiles.

 

Jihyo take a sneak to back seat and silently talk to Jongkook, 'Oppa, can you show yourself to him?' but he only shook his head, 'Really?' And he nods. He seems won't show himself to anyone except Jihyo. 'Do you angry to me? Or maybe you’re jealous?'

 

Jongkook only can smiles foolishly, but that shows that he's quite jealous. 'I'm envy, Jihyo-ya. I wish I'm in Gary's position right now. I want to have a day out only two of us together.''Hey, Oppa. Do you like me?'

 

'A love has grown between us~'

 

Jihyo chuckles at his cute shyness. He can't say something to the point but mumbles a random song. "Hey, Gary. You know what he said?" — "What?"

 

"I ask him whether he is jealous or no, but he said he's envy with you. When I ask whether he like me or no, he only said 'a love grown between us.' Do you think he like me?" Gary nods and holds his laugh, "Of course, Jihyo-ya! He's too shy to said it, but, Jihyo's mine!" Jihyo's eyes widened because of his word. "But..." — "What?"

 

"Nothing." Jihyo still in a state shock.

 

'He's exactly your type, Jihyo-ya.' Jongkook teases her.

 

'Why you should said something like this? You're such a naïve guy and really straightforward! And now, he's jealous.' Jihyo only face-palm because the two guys. 'I don't know how to express it, I like both of you.' And her cheeks are reddened by it without she knows. "What happened to you?" Gary realises Jihyo's face. "Nothing." She smiles like nothing happened.

 

'One of us is truly your past, isn't it?'

 

###

 

They reached the park in no time. With the teddy bear still in her embrace, they go down with a strange feeling. "It feels different if you know the past of this place." Gary mumbles. "You have visited this place?"

 

"I have visited this place even only once. I've seen the ruins of the burned house, but it feels strange, so I didn't come closer to inspect."

 

"Why people left?"

 

"Because they ever seen some weird shadows around this place. They said there were people dead in that house because of that fire. It completely turned into ashes. They left that place because of that reason." Jihyo looks at Gary's empty face.

 

'I've lived here before, but I never knew that thing. Maybe, I have moved when that thing occurred?'

 

She sneaks a peek at Gary's car.

 

'I'll wait here.' She really reminded that Jongkook said he'll wait on the car when they went out from the car, but now, he's gone. "Do you want to see inside it?" Gary grabs Jihyo's hand tightly and pulls her to the Park.

 

The Park is really normal like a usual park. Children are playing and some teenagers are enjoying the scenery with their partners. Some old couples are jogging and chatting. The only thing that makes this park different is because the ammount of the tree which is really many. It roughly looks like the park wants to hide something.

 

Gary takes his cap and puts it on Jihyo's head, "Oh?" — "That's fine."

 

"No, it isn't about the cap. Do you see that guy who plays with some child there? That one! Who wears red hoodie!" Jihyo points at someone at the road. "Who is that guy?"

 

"He is exactly looking like... Him."

 

"WHAT?!"

 

###

 

"Excuse me..." She pats that guy's shoulder lightly. 'Is that shoulder or a rock? It so hard...'

 

"Yes?"

 

It felt like you see a dead person come alive. It isn't a deja vù either, it's real and she sees it by her eyes. His voice and his appearance, they are exactly the same. There's no difference between that wandering soul or this guy in front of him. "By the way, are you...? Jongkook-ssi?"

 

He shook his head, showing that it isn't him. "Hyung! Let's play again!" Some child comes to him suddenly, "I'm sorry but I can't accompany you longer, They're really excited when I came." He bows and the children drag him away. "Is that ghost really look like him, Jihyo-ya?" — "Yes, oppa. I swear it's him. A hundred percent identical." She makes a letter V with her fingers.

 

"Woah, even he's a ghost, he's really such a good-looking if he looked like that guy over there." Gary only can looks at that guy from afar. "His words are disturbing me, oppa."

 

"Which one?"

 

“‘They’re really excited when I came.' Isn't that mean, he didn't come to this park that often, right?" He nods at her.

 

They sit at the bench next to each other. "Eomma! Do you will buy me a teddy bear like that? It's so cute!" A little girl suddenly points at Jihyo's teddy bear which she still hugs it tightly. "I'll get it for you on your birthday soon." Her mom her daughter's hair carefully.

 

"Hi, unnie! Can we see your teddy bear? He's so cute!" Some bunch of little girls comes. They're exactly still in the same-aged with the children who pulled that guy. "How if I don't want?" — "Pretty unnie, please show me your teddy bear!" They chant it together and Jihyo let them to see it for a while. "Don't let it fall, okay?"

"Of course, unnie!"

 

Gary looks at Jihyo who looks really happy today. She is exactly the different with Jihyo that he met some weeks ago. "Hey, Jihyo-ya. Do you want to eat after this? I know a good restaurant near this place." Jihyo only nods, but she doesn't stop smile. It looks like someone who just released from jail, enjoying a freedom which she had already missed it for a long time.

 

"Oppa~!" A girl calls that guy with the red hoodie, "This bear name has a same nickname with you!" She shows Kookie to that guy. "How lucky!" A boy suddenly joins.

 

"Hey, Jihyo-ya. Did you just listen what they said about your teddy bear?" Gary points to the bunch of children who surrounds the guy with red hoodie. "What just they said? I didn't concentrate at them before." Her facial expression changes instantly, it become blankly confused. "Your teddy bear has a same nickname with him. Who is that bear's name...? I forget about it!" Gary taps his head slowly.

 

"Kookie."

 

Her voice tone also changes instantly. It becomes serious and cold, it surely something happened on her mind. 'It should be something important.' even Gary thinks like that, her mind is completely like a maze. "He looks like the younger version of that ghost.". Jihyo mumbles blankly. Her eyes are completely empty and cold. She stands up and come closer to that guy.

 

"Hi." She greets him shyly.

 

"Is that yours? They don't disturb you, right?" She only shook her head; it's hard to believe a truth when you've a real truth on your head. "Do you come to this park often?", "No, I've another thing to be solved, so I don't come here that often."

 

His eyes are showing what he feels, it really empty and dead. Something disturb him a lot and surely, he hides something from her. "Hey... uh, how to call you?". Jihyo mumbles. "How if you decide it? I'll accept it because those children also make my nickname randomly."

 

"We don't make it randomly! There's something." The children point at the hoodie. "Something written at your hoodie's neck, hyung!"

 

"Sorry." Jihyo lifts the hoodie's cap and find a name. Yep. The children's words are exactly true, they don't make it randomly but they only saw what was written. "Are you acting or... you really don't know anything?", "I don't know anything about it, sorry." His facial expression changes again but that's proving if he doesn't lie. He's innocent, really innocent. His smile toward the children, it's strange but hides a meaning.

 

'Why both of you has a same first impression? He is a tough man with soft heart. He's look like the younger version of you, but he can't describe anything. Do this thing related to you?' Jihyo looks at the blue sky. She let the wind brushes her hair, everything become really confusing after her suicide failed. She has trapped in two guy's love and now, she's facing a mysterious guy who exactly and identically similar. There are a lot of puzzle's pieces but a lot of new pieces come in again even before she solved it. Complicated, yes, everything has been really complicated for her.

 

'An extraordinary puzzle of life.' She mumbles.

 

She faced everything and she should face the matter which followed the consequence. Nowhere to run, nowhere to save yourself, there's nowhere.

 

"Hey!" A touch stops her daydream.

 

"Oh, Gary-ya?"

 

"Let's eat something. I'm hungry!" Gary sees that Jihyo doesn't want to leave the park, but there's no other way. She should be pulled out. His hand grabs Jihyo's arm. "Ya! Kang Gary!"

 

###

 

An ahjumma comes with two bowls of rice and glasses of water. "Thank you~! Oh, by the way, do you know him?"

 

Gary shows his phone to the ahjumma earlier. He can see that he's exactly the owner, "Ah, I know him! He was one of the neighbourhood's favourite teen!" The ahjumma's face becomes really bright. He shows a photo of that red hoodie's guy. "Who's his name? May I know?" While Gary's asking, Jihyo only can stares at him blankly and enjoys her breakfast. A long time has been passed when she still lived in Downtown area.

 

"Kim Jongkook!"

 

Jihyo's eyes widened and she suddenly choked, "Oh, Jihyo, what happened?" Gary asked her, "Nothing." She drinks the water at a fast pace.

 

"If he still alive for now, I want to let he saw a pretty girl has grown up." Gary's eyes suddenly arrowed to Jihyo, "Is that she?" He points at her to make it sure.

 

The ahjumma nods.

 

"You're Jihyo from Song family, right? Their only daughter?" The ahjumma also tries to make sure that the 'pretty girl who has grown up' is her. In that old woman eyes, she still the same like ten years ago. Jihyo only can nods, she doesn't want to talk a lot. She needs more listen than talk for now. Something disturbs her strongly this time, another roads and puzzles into a right conclusion added. Nobody would be to avoid it. "Aigoo, Jihyo-ya. I think you have forgotten downtown!"

 

She shook her head. "I'll return to this place often, ahjumma." She makes a fake smile. "You should go out often! That's good for you! Young man, you should bring her out often!" The ahjumma pats Gary's shoulder, "Please enjoy the food." She bows and leaves them.

 

Jihyo continues her food and Gary feels that she's angry at something. She eats with her head lowered, "Hey, Jihyo-ya. Are you fine?" She doesn't answer anything, only opened for food. Gary's feeling uneasy toward her and deciding to eat without disturbing her.

 

'You don't know anything, Gary-ya. You're innocent. I'm sorry, but from his family name... He's really a trash.'

 

###

 

Their day out is ruined by something which Gary still blunt on it. He can't see what part of the thing which already ruined her mood. She's hugging her teddy bear without any noise. It like her voice gone away in seconds, her face shows that she's holding something but it also feels empty at the same time. 

 

Gary's voice in her ears is only a wind which she won't care.

 

"Hey, Jihyo-ya. Tell me why you keep silent like that. I become uneasy and I won't pick you up to home before everything cleared." The day already set off. The blue sky already replaced by the cloudy night. There aren’t any stars or a moon. It's dark, like her heart.

 

"Kim..."

 

Her voice is too low and unclear, but Gary can understand what she said.

 

"What happen to them?"

 

"It's none of your business."

 

Gary's sighed at her cold's attitude. He drives Jihyo to her home with another burdened yet' an uneasy feeling. 'Why I can refer that when she said 'Kim' then I refer to a family? Is that refers to him this morning?'

 

##

 

Daesung comes to her room suddenly. "Noona! Hi!" He greets the silent Jihyo.

 

She has been really cold even Gary has dropped her on home. She's hugging the teddy bear tightly and her face is showing that she has a huge of shock. "Daesung-ah, what's your surname?" Jihyo asks him. "Kang. What's wrong?"

 

"Why you have a different surname with Jongkook?"

 

"We aren't related as brothers. Hyung is my cousin from my dad's family."

 

"If I ask you, do you know something related to the fire which burned your house about some years ago?" — "I don't know about that thing fully, but I remembered what hyung said to me."

 

"What was that?"

 

"Bear with the pain. Forget your gloomy past and you'll be happy with your future. He repeated that thing when he hugged me tightly even the fire burned him."

 

She looks at her teddy bear.

 

She really knows that teddy bear's stomach can be opened and a line of words will appear on it.

 

'Bear with the pain. Forget your gloomy past and you'll be happy with your future.'

 

"What is your brother's nickname? Which are exactly only both of you know?"

 

"Kookie. Hyung said to not call him with that nickname, it was so embarrassing. Aunt often called him with that name and even made that name on his hoodie."

 

"Could it be...? A red hoodie?"

 

Daesung nods, "Hyung really likes to wear something with black or red and then... Noona, whenever I see your teddy bear, it reminded me of hyung. He's exactly a teddy bear with muscle." He laughs.

 

"Could it be your brother's?" Jihyo shows her teddy bear closer to Daesung. He comes closer to inspect it, "Noona, can you open the teddy bear stomach and its back?" 

 

"If you open the stomach, so there'll be a line of words that exactly the same message with your brother said. I haven't checked the back yet." There are sadness appear on her face. She rubs the teddy bear's back and it skin is moved by her hand. Something’s written there.

 

'If you realize something, don't end your life for a stupid reason or you'll be unhappy on your afterlife!'

 

'If you end your life for nothing, so you'll be unhappy there!' It's exactly the same with the word that guy said in her suicide. "It's exactly him. I never saw that teddy bear after one of our neighbour moved!"